PDA

View Full Version : Mantled Fighter

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 10:10 AM
Would giving the fighter a psionic mantle or 2 (power points, ect.) be a good fix for a Psionic full-BaB class.

Alternatively how many mantles would I have to take away from ardent to justify giving them Full BaB and some bonus feats.

I'm making a psionic Rokugan setting and I wanted a more martially focused type of samurai, with better BaB than the psy warriors but still able to keep up.

Nero24200
2009-12-11, 11:46 AM
One thing I'd be careful about is that some mantles can give 9th level powers.
Persoanlly, what I would do is give the fighter some psionic-esc class features (something similer to Psychic strike, maybe even the option of a soul-knife or some such) and grant them the weaker psionic progression (the divine minds doesn't granting powers till level 4 and maxes out at 4th level powers).

If you're set on the mantles though, I'd probably only give one or two and give the fighter a low amount of powers known.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-11, 12:04 PM
You could just adapt the Psychic rogue, to a martial class, it is online
IIRC it caps at 5 level powers and have a progresion similar to the psychic warrior OR you can just give the psychic warrior full BAB

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 03:06 PM
I really don't want to just give Psy Warriors full BaB (too inelegant for my taste)

I haven't ever seen the Psy rouge can I get a link from some one.

I'm afraid of getting a soul knife like effect if I don't give them some actual powers (I'm actually altering OA samurai so they already have a special weapon)

I liked the idea of mantles because the special abilities are really cool (no denying). Are some of the domains over powered? I could lock each samurai to certain 1 or 2 mantles from a list based on their Great Clan (same ones as Rokugan) like a cleric with their gods. They might only have enough powers known to fill out their one mantle list.

If I did the clan thing what mantles do you think would go with each clan. Pheonix would prolly get energy, and Crab would likely get creation (Kaiu family at least)

Zaq
2009-12-11, 05:44 PM
Give the Divine Mind full BAB and Fighter bonus feats, then tweak a few things to reduce the MAD a little bit. Oh, and increase their manifester level, because seriously, that's just insulting.

Divine Mind is tier 6. Fighter is tier 5. You're NOT going to break anything by simply shoving the two together.

Dimers
2009-12-11, 11:02 PM
Would giving the fighter a psionic mantle or 2 (power points, ect.) be a good fix for a Psionic full-BaB class.

Alternatively how many mantles would I have to take away from ardent to justify giving them Full BaB and some bonus feats.

I'm making a psionic Rokugan setting and I wanted a more martially focused type of samurai, with better BaB than the psy warriors but still able to keep up.

I like "fighter plus mantles", particularly if they're tied to gameworld-specific fluff. That's good for immersion -- certainly more than a full-BAB psychic warrior would be. I strongly suggesting tweaking the fighter's skill list at the same time, though, at least to include Autohypnosis and Iaijutsu Focus, perhaps Knowledge:Psi and Psicraft as well.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-12, 02:50 AM
I strongly suggesting tweaking the fighter's skill list at the same time, though, at least to include Autohypnosis and Iaijutsu Focus, perhaps Knowledge:Psi and Psicraft as well.

I certainly will, all the "Noble" (psionic) classes are getting certain courtly skills added, Dipolmancy, sense motive, perform, iaijutsu, maby more.

Didn't really seem relevant to the thread when i made it tho.