PDA

View Full Version : Help! What does a half-beholder look like?!

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 01:16 PM
So I was chatting with a player of mine, and he started listing every half-thing that had stats or ever mentioned in the history of D&D, then came the half-beholder.
He couldn't find any data relevant to it, and now, in the name of science, he's determined to have his character become the father of a half-beholder! :eek:

So, any info relevant to the topic that he didn't find? Anyone know a way I can talk him out of this mad experiment?!

boomwolf
2009-12-11, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure its actually possible to breed beholders with other creatures...

As far I know they all has the same DNA (or other genetic material) and breed asexually.

subject42
2009-12-11, 01:22 PM
Kinda like this guy, I think. (http://www.kasterborous.com/images/s3evolutiondalek.jpg)

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 01:23 PM
I don't see HOW this is even remotely possible. Dragons can shape shift, halflings and kobolds have mostly the right parts. The only way I see this happening is if some creature decided to use a beholder like microwaved cantaloupe.

Skeletor
2009-12-11, 01:23 PM
Pretty sure half beholders are not possible.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-11, 01:25 PM
You should let him try. Roll diplomacy checks to seduce a beholder. See how that goes for him.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 01:26 PM
This won't help, he'll find a way, even if he has to force some wizard to mix the two!

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-11, 01:26 PM
I don't see HOW this is even remotely possible. Dragons can shape shift, halflings and kobolds have mostly the right parts. The only way I see this happening is if some creature decided to use a beholder like microwaved cantaloupe.

Magics. If it's good enough for the Owlbear it's good enough for a half-beholder!

Fizzban
2009-12-11, 01:27 PM
In Bastards and Bloodlines by Green Ronin they have a Half-Beholder. It looks kinda like the fat cyclopes from Disney's Hercules, but it has a more beholder head lots of eye stalks and a maul of needle teeth. And the reason for their creation is of course a wizard did it or no one knows.

Fizz

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 01:28 PM
In Bastards and Bloodlines by Green Ronin they have a Half-Beholder. It looks kinda like the fat cyclopes from Disney's Hercules, but it has a more beholder head lots of eye stalks and a maul if needle teeth. And the reason for their creation is of course a wizard did it.

Fizz
You mean a wizard did it, or a wizard did it?
Choose carefully, my sanity is at stake.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 01:28 PM
In Bastards and Bloodlines by Green Ronin they have a Half-Beholder. It looks kinda like the fat cyclopes from Disney's Hercules, but it has a more beholder head lots of eye stalks and a maul if needle teeth. And the reason for their creation is of course a wizard did it.

Fizz

Isn't that 2e?

Starscream
2009-12-11, 01:29 PM
Like this:

http://yafgc.shipsinker.com/themes/tutorial/images/sketches/Gobholder.jpg

Ormagoden
2009-12-11, 01:30 PM

huh? wait what? OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 01:34 PM
Also, how would Pelor react to such a abomination and its creation?

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 01:34 PM
A wizard would have to have done it. You'd at least need one to cast charm monster. A beholder would never willingly mate with another living creature if they can reproduce sexually at all (through polymorph or w/e). The only thing a Beholder hates more than non-beholders is another beholder (and the only thing it hates less is it's self).

Fizzban
2009-12-11, 01:36 PM
Isn't that 2e?

Nope they have a 3.0 book. It has several half-breeds that bring up several questions such as blink dog/halfling, elf/unicorn, elf/eagle, elf/trent, dwarf/winter wolf...one starts to wonder if there was an outbreak of beastiality...

Fizz

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 01:43 PM
Nope they have a 3.0 book. It has several half-breeds that bring up several questions such as blink dog/halfling, elf/unicorn, elf/eagle, elf/trent, dwarf/winter wolf...one starts to wonder if there was an outbreak of beastiality...

Fizz

WONDER!?!?!?!

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 02:00 PM

Fizz

I don't know..... I figure since he won't actually control him I doubt I need stats, but I hope I can stop him from completing his experiment...

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-11, 02:01 PM
Mongoose Publishing actually produced a book on creating magical crossbreeds. Most of the methods described were less "get an owl and a bear to mate" and more "Create a large hadron collider and fire the bear and the owl at each other at supersonic speeds" or "Melt both of them and then mix the goo"

(I believe one method involved extracting the souls and then using a magical needle and thread to sew their essences together)

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopaedia-Arcane-Crossbreeding-Flesh-Blood/dp/1903980917

Grumman
2009-12-11, 02:01 PM
Some people just shouldn't be given publishing rights. Ew.

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-11, 02:03 PM
Some people just shouldn't be given publishing rights. Ew.

Hey, I'm quite enjoying my army of flying uniclams.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 02:10 PM
I have though of the following ideas:

* The experiment fails, creating a gibbering mouther instead.
* It works, but the crossbreed dies within seconds
*It fuses the two together instead, creating a abomination that dies in seconds.

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 02:13 PM
I wonder if it would come out looking a bit like the Dalek Sec/human hybrid in the David Tennant Dr Who series, only with eyes on the ends of all those tentacles....

Shazbot79
2009-12-11, 02:17 PM
Hey, I'm quite enjoying my army of flying uniclams.

*blink*

I think I love you.

Anyway...what does a half-beholder look like?

Ummm...after a few cocktails they might start to look pretty good?

taltamir
2009-12-11, 02:21 PM
the beholder polymorphs itself into a human male and has sex with a human female (or whatever). Because of how magic works, the child is half beholder.

If you think a beholder will never ever willingly mate with another living being (I don't see why not)... well... rape.

http://yafgc.shipsinker.com/index.php?strip_id=14

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 02:25 PM
There is a half-illithid beholder in Underdark (the half-illithid template in that book can be added to more creature types than the Fiend Folio one can)- so part-beholders do exist. Just not part-human beholders so far.

For humans who look a bit beholder-ish (extra eyes on stalks) there is the Beholder Cultist PRC.

The notion of a half-beholder is interesting if a little squicky.

taltamir
2009-12-11, 02:28 PM
the half illithid is actually not done via... normal means..

Illithids produce toadpole like creatures. When one is placed into a human, that human becomes a new illithid.
If it is placed in a non human humanoid (elf, orc, etc), there is a very high chance of them both dying... and a small chance of it becoming a "half illithid".. aka, a partial transformation.

Also, if left to grow those toadpole things become purple worms IIRC.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 02:32 PM
I'm concerned that even if I stop him from mating with a beholder, he'll just try to mate with some other form of creature, like a mind flayer, or a gibbering mouther.

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 02:33 PM
According to Lords of Madness, normal illithds can be created using quite a few humanoids (including drow)

But yes- neothilids (purplish, giant, psychic worms) are what happens if the tadpoles escape,

and half-illithids aren't created the old-fashioned way, true.

Still, nothing stopping a DM making an exception- the Underdark half-illithids are described as being created with weird magic rather than specifically tadpole implantation.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-11, 02:34 PM
Huh. I woulda thought there'd be a beholder blood line in UA.

Lysander
2009-12-11, 02:34 PM
How about an orb that walks on giant thick legs instead of flying, and it has an oversized human arm on each side. Instead of one central eye it has two, and it has hair on top of its head that its eyestalks poke through from. Sort of like a combination of Krang from TMNT, Darkseid's son Kalibak, and a gorgon. Yes, very disturbing.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-11, 02:35 PM
It's a purple worm but not a "Purple Worm", and i think they have to do somthing special to make those

Theres also stats for like feral mindflayer larve, that were just left hanging out after the PC's killed their family.

Optimystik
2009-12-11, 02:36 PM
I would imagine such a creature came to be from all the former-Elan Beholder Magi residing in the CharOp boards.

Also, how would Pelor react to such a abomination and its creation?

The Burning Hate has likely seduced the Great Mother many times in their apocalyptic cathedral.

Zom B
2009-12-11, 02:37 PM
Anyone know a way I can talk him out of this mad experiment?!

I'm sure the Beholder will do a good job doing that for you.

I wonder if it would come out looking a bit like the Dalek Sec/human hybrid in the David Tennant Dr Who series, only with eyes on the ends of all those tentacles....

No. It will, frighteningly enough, look exactly like Shia Lebouf.

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 02:38 PM
Maybe the DM should homebrew a "half-beholder" template that can be applied to various creatures, granting some of the various beholder powers depending on how many HD or levels the base creature has?

A "beholder-blooded" template also- for those with a little beholder blood a few generations back- it is to the half-beholder, what tiefling is, to the half-fiend.

the "Aberration Blood" feats from Lords of Madness, could be more distant ancestry.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 02:46 PM
I've never tried to make a template before, monsters yes, templates no.

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 02:50 PM
Doesn't need to be perfect as long as it works for the situation.

I wonder if this character will end up being the sort of guy as inspires that very funny picture showing a huge group of hybrids of all kinds glowering at a single embarrassed-looking human male....

I think it was on TV Tropes at one point.

Or simply end up as a Mad Scientist type.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 03:18 PM
I wonder if this character will end up being the sort of guy as inspires that very funny picture showing a huge group of hybrids of all kinds glowering at a single embarrassed-looking human male....

You mean this picture? NSFW. (http://andersson.elfwood.com/Family_Gathering.2524339.html)

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 03:23 PM
Yup.

Humans in RPG settings do sometimes get portrayed this way- one of the NPC's in Star Munchkin, a Captain Kirk parody, was described as:

"wanted in connected with paternity testing of various children, larvae, and spores on 37 worlds and counting."

taltamir
2009-12-11, 03:25 PM
hehe.... That picture is epic; lucky guy.

I didn't know we can post NSFW sites links here...

Yup.

Humans in RPG settings do sometimes get portrayed this way- one of the NPC's in Star Munchkin, a Captain Kirk parody, was described as:

"wanted in connected with paternity testing of various children, larvae, and spores on 37 worlds and counting."

To be fair, I think there are more types of half dragon, half celestial, and half infernals than there are half humans

hamishspence
2009-12-11, 03:28 PM
Half the things on the "dungeons and dames" thread have NSFW mentioned- I think this one falls in that midway category between NSFW and NSF-this site.

Bu check the rules anyway.

True about half-dragons and whatnot- its only the fact that virtually all those templates can be (and often are) combined with humans- that produced the reputation.

There are also species that some people jokily refer to as human hybrids.

Starshade
2009-12-11, 04:09 PM
Some homebrew half beholder template?
hm, my thought is something like:
If the base creature got monocular vision (pointing outwards, as a fish/horse), it gets eyestalks instead of its base eyes.
If the base creature got binocular vision (human, eagle, predator focused sight), it gets a beholder single eye.
If desired, add a pair of tentacles instead of eyes on a binocular vision (tentacle eyes instead of ordinary eyes, on say a human or elf).

Make a sensible list of eyestalk powers, and assign them, say ECL +1 or +2 for the powerfull ones. Let all the powers be usable 1 or 2 times a day (as fitting). A sensible half beholder would, say, either have something as a single eye with 1 Dispel magic effect a day, or a pair of stalks with paralysis and sleep 1 time a day.
Add levitation, a slow rate as 1/2 movement rate.

Mentally, id guess it would be semi schizoid tendencies, possibly inheriting beholder traits, like believing itself a superior being, semi paranoid tendencies, etc. Basically same body shape as base creature, possibly odd skin type and colour.

All in all, id think id (experimentally) give my template +2 ECL or something like it, add a pair of HD if its a NPC. As a PC, hmm, how could this semi "dalek hybrid", mad hybrid not give enough issues to be handed out? :smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2009-12-11, 04:24 PM
The real question is...what did the Beholder do in bed with the person and what madness (or maybe it's sanity) came over it to overpower their inherent xenophobia.

Alright, now the image of a beholder in bed with a person has scarred my brain for life. I will now drench it in Sulfuric acid.

Myrmex
2009-12-11, 04:32 PM
There's a half-beholder template in Bastards & Bloodlines. You get eyestalks.

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Volkov
2009-12-11, 04:35 PM

Kobolds possess an all purpose vent like all other reptiles, a cloaca, it's the same for both males and females.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-11, 04:48 PM
I'd liek to put out there that polymorph any object and or the polymorph line could help solve this. The problem being i belive lords of madness specificaly state that the beholders are A-sexual..

so I'm sure some drow have attempted to cross bread them any way... and im sure with some sort of transmuter type magic they could.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 04:52 PM
I'd liek to put out there that polymorph any object and or the polymorph line could help solve this. The problem being i belive lords of madness specificaly state that the beholders are A-sexual..

so I'm sure some drow have attempted to cross bread them any way... and im sure with some sort of transmuter type magic they could.

Unfortunately for the Drow, a Beholder is much too powerful and intelligent to let itself fall to that. It'd probably much rather kill itself than be forced to breed with the filthy, which to a normal beholder, is everything besides it and the great mother, or an clone or identical sibling.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-11, 04:54 PM
Kobolds possess an all purpose vent like all other reptiles, a cloaca, it's the same for both males and females.
Like I said. . .MOSTLY. They have been stated out though. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half-Kobold_(DnD_Race))

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
I apologize, but when I thought of humanoid intimate relations with a spheroid lifeform, that was my first thought.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 05:06 PM
The real question is...what did the Beholder do in bed with the person and what madness (or maybe it's sanity) came over it to overpower their inherent xenophobia.

Alright, now the image of a beholder in bed with a person has scarred my brain for life. I will now drench it in Sulfuric acid.

He'll probably end up forcing some mage to do some ritual to create some sort of unholy crossbreed.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 05:51 PM
He'll probably end up forcing some mage to do some ritual to create some sort of unholy crossbreed.

Beholders hate all other races, other Beholders and Beholderkin who do not exactly resemble them more so, with the exception to the rule being the Great Mother, a half beholder would be perhaps the worst offense to a normal beholder imaginable, it would be targeted by any non-sane (this being the majority) Beholder who knew of it's existence to kill the unholy monster, if it's a half-beholder half beholderkin, then their anger would be even greater.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 06:08 PM
Beholders hate all other races, other Beholders and Beholderkin who do not exactly resemble them more so, with the exception to the rule being the Great Mother, a half beholder would be perhaps the worst offense to a normal beholder imaginable, it would be targeted by any non-sane (this being the majority) Beholder who knew of it's existence to kill the unholy monster, if it's a half-beholder half beholderkin, then their anger would be even greater.

Did anyone say he'll let the beholder have a say in the matter? :smalleek:

Volkov
2009-12-11, 06:15 PM
Did anyone say he'll let the beholder have a say in the matter? :smalleek:

A beholder would probably rather commit suicide than be forced to create progeny with another species. Which is impossible without magic any way, Beholders reproduce asexually, and they possess no way to fertilize or be impregnated by any other species by natural means.

Thurbane
2009-12-11, 06:18 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/1981ad.jpg

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 06:18 PM
A beholder would probably rather commit suicide than be forced to create progeny with another species. Which is impossible without magic any way, Beholders reproduce asexually, and they possess no way to fertilize or be impregnated by any other species by natural means.

Then he will probably force some mage to crossbreed the two....unless I can stop him.....but how?

Setra
2009-12-11, 06:22 PM

I have a feeling a Beholder would have to breed with a human female.. and the only thing I can think of is Tentacle ****

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 06:23 PM
I have a feeling a Beholder would have to breed with a human female.. and the only thing I can think of is Tentacle ****

Beholders don't have tentacles.

Setra
2009-12-11, 06:25 PM
Beholders don't have tentacles.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm_gallery/Beholder.jpg
His eyestalks look like they'd be suitable for the job.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 06:26 PM
Then he will probably force some mage to crossbreed the two....unless I can stop him.....but how?

A normal beholder would rather subject himself to his own finger of death or disintegration or flesh to stone ray. A sane beholder would try that as they are liberated from the extreme Xenophobia that stops their species from being the rulers of Oerth/Toril/Earth/whatever.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 06:27 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm_gallery/Beholder.jpg
His eyestalks look like they'd be suitable for the job.

Beholders cannot impregnate or be impregnated by another species, they do not possess any sexual reproductive organs, they are completely asexual beings.

Setra
2009-12-11, 06:31 PM
Beholders cannot impregnate or be impregnated by another species, they do not possess any sexual reproductive organs, they are completely asexual beings.
Then maybe a very demented epic wizard gave them some, then initiated the reproduction with Dominate Monster?

Grumman
2009-12-11, 06:34 PM
Repeat after me:

"Pelor smites you. Take 40D6 damage."

Repeat until he stops being weird.

starwoof
2009-12-11, 06:34 PM
New Graft: Human dangly parts. Allows X creature to breed with a human and make a half X.

There! Problem solved. Or... created?:smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2009-12-11, 06:36 PM
Then maybe a very demented epic wizard gave them some, then initiated the reproduction with Dominate Monster?
The very thought of reproducing with another creature with a means that they see as inferior to their own, would definitely allow a beholder a second saving throw. And of course, once the beholder snaps out of it, he'd kill simultaneously fire his flesh to stone eye rays and disintegrate eye rays at himself in shame.

AslanCross
2009-12-11, 06:39 PM
Beholders are hermaphroditic, but they don't mate. They just vomit out their eggs one day and leave them to hatch on their own. Lords of Madness actually detailed this. It's kinda gross.

(I'd also like to add that according to LoM, the Beholder's only orifice is its MOUTH. Its drool is actually excrement. :smalleek: )

Volkov
2009-12-11, 06:42 PM
Beholders are hermaphroditic, but they don't mate. They just vomit out their eggs one day and leave them to hatch on their own. Lords of Madness actually detailed this. It's kinda gross.

(I'd also like to add that according to LoM, the Beholder's only orifice is its MOUTH. Its drool is actually excrement. :smalleek: )

It's not hermaphroditic, hermaphrodites still need another creature for sexual reproduction. Beholders reproduce asexually, they do not require another beholder to reproduce. Also, they do possess other orfices, but they are all spiracles a centimeter or two wide at best.

Coidzor
2009-12-11, 06:47 PM
Mutant beholders with eyestalks of "Impregnate Monster?" :smallconfused:

That's going a bit on the FATAListic side of things though.

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-11, 06:54 PM
As previously stated, sex isn't required for cross-halves. You could just sew them together or something.

Coidzor
2009-12-11, 06:57 PM
As previously stated, sex isn't required for cross-halves. You could just sew them together or something.

I just find the idea of the SLA Impregnate Monster to be amusingly evil. Then again, BOEF might have beaten me to the punch. I know FATAL definately has.

I just feel deliciously evil right now.

AslanCross
2009-12-11, 06:57 PM
It's not hermaphroditic, hermaphrodites still need another creature for sexual reproduction. Beholders reproduce asexually, they do not require another beholder to reproduce. Also, they do possess other orfices, but they are all spiracles a centimeter or two wide at best.

My bad, mixed up the terms. I was even about to use the two of them in the same sentence.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt it's possible for some bloke to actually reproduce with it. The best way to produce a half-aberration human, I think, is to just use something like the Husk of Infinite Worlds from Eberron. It basically spins, unspins, and respins reality randomly until some life form is produced. Unless you're in it too long and end up melting into protoplasm.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 08:14 PM
Repeat after me:

"Pelor smites you. Take 40D6 damage."

Repeat until he stops being weird.

I don't want to DM fiat him or railroad him, I just want it to be as insanely difficult as possible.

I think the main reason he wants to do this is in the name of science. He does a lot of stuff just to see what happens.

taltamir
2009-12-11, 08:28 PM

its called love. The greatest madness of them all...

Or maybe it was a beholder wizard who needed to create just one more type of hybrid... :)

http://i49.tinypic.com/1981ad.jpg

you, sir, win the internet~!

taltamir
2009-12-11, 08:32 PM
Mutant beholders with eyestalks of "Impregnate Monster?" :smallconfused:

That's going a bit on the FATAListic side of things though.

that is both a cool and horrible sounding spell...
Oh... I just thought of a new god... the god of hybrid creatures!

that just goes to show that the writers in WOTC don't know what hermaphrodite means

I just find the idea of the SLA Impregnate Monster to be amusingly evil. Then again, BOEF might have beaten me to the punch. I know FATAL definately has.

I just feel deliciously evil right now.

Except, this idea is to impregnate without sex... fatal is all about the rape

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 08:40 PM
We're veering into an inappropriate topic methinks....

Ascension
2009-12-11, 08:55 PM
Thing is, canon Beholder attitudes and/or equipment don't necessarily enter into this. It's the GM's call how the Beholders in his campaign act, much less procreate.

That said, it is... kind of nuts.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 09:15 PM
Thing is, canon Beholder attitudes and/or equipment don't necessarily enter into this. It's the GM's call how the Beholders in his campaign act, much less procreate.

Beholders act like canon.
Cept for one or two differences..

taltamir
2009-12-11, 09:16 PM

a beholder is a sentient creature, a sentient creature can change its alignment (that is RAW btw)... so you can have something like the "paladin succubus" (groan).

Most likely beholders can fall in love, and thus have an incentive to breed... (ex: the comic I posted: "yet another fantasy gamer comic")

Setra
2009-12-11, 09:18 PM
Beholders lay eggs?

Well there you go then, someone takes the eggs after killing the Beholder, sells the eggs to a Mad Wizard, and the Wizard creates the hybrid using the eggs.

They could be called.. Beholdonians!

Coidzor
2009-12-11, 09:25 PM
Don't they have some sort of beholder queen as well, or is that just the biggest beholder in an area of 'em that has basically dominated all of its offspring?

But yeah, something involving beholder eggs and several months of research and questing for other rare and valuable components in addition to the necessary materials to keep the beholder eggs from hatching prematurely...

Sounds like a suitable bunch of wossnames to keep a wizard adventuring with a party.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 09:35 PM
Don't they have some sort of beholder queen as well, or is that just the biggest beholder in an area of 'em that has basically dominated all of its offspring?

But yeah, something involving beholder eggs and several months of research and questing for other rare and valuable components in addition to the necessary materials to keep the beholder eggs from hatching prematurely...

Sounds like a suitable bunch of wossnames to keep a wizard adventuring with a party.

The hive queen does not give birth to beholders, it merely controls them, but I guess they also reproduce like the other beholders. And beholders do not lay eggs, what they do is far more disturbing. Once in their lifetimes, they literally vomit out their wombs, and a dozen beholder babies chew their way out of the gory mess in an even more gory fashion. This applies for all beholderkin as well.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 09:36 PM
a beholder is a sentient creature, a sentient creature can change its alignment (that is RAW btw)... so you can have something like the "paladin succubus" (groan).

Most likely beholders can fall in love, and thus have an incentive to breed... (ex: the comic I posted: "yet another fantasy gamer comic")

Actually WOTC has stated Beholders are incapable of feeling Love or Lust. Not even the sane beholders are capable of feeling it. The insane ones, which are the overwhelming majority, are far too xenophobic to feel anything but disgust for all other life.

taltamir
2009-12-11, 09:37 PM
The hive queen does not give birth to beholders, it merely controls them, but I guess they also reproduce like the other beholders. And beholders do not lay eggs, what they do is far more disturbing. Once in their lifetimes, they literally vomit out their wombs, and a dozen beholder babies chew their way out of the gory mess in an even more Gorey fashion. This applies for all beholderkin as well.

what is a beholder kin?

Also, why oh why did someone come up with such a disgusting sick method of reproduction?

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 09:38 PM
what is a beholder kin?

Also, why oh why did someone come up with such a disgusting sick method of reproduction?

Maybe they wanted to prevent my player from trying such a thing he is trying?

Volkov
2009-12-11, 09:40 PM
what is a beholder kin?

A beholderkin are the relatives of beholders. Think of all the Beholders and beholder-like creatures as being an taxonomic class, and the true beholders are a species within that class, beholderkin are anything in the Beholder class, but are not of the Beholder species.

As for your second question, because their goddess is real, and she hates us very much.

taltamir
2009-12-11, 09:47 PM
Maybe they wanted to prevent my player from trying such a thing he is trying?

then they should have said "beholders reproduce by budding"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budding

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 09:49 PM

He'll find a way, he always finds a way, I have the castle at max security, he rams a airship into the throne room, that actually happened once, long story.

Volkov
2009-12-11, 09:51 PM

Hey at least it's not like the male Argonaut octopus, where once he is done mating, his ahem "Cephalopod Junk equivalent" is stuck in the female's cavity, and it then falls off the male.

Gamerlord
2009-12-11, 10:03 PM
Hey at least it's not like the male Argonaut octopus, where once he is done mating, his ahem "Cephalopod Junk equivalent" is stuck in the female's cavity, and it then falls off the male.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

DoctorWho101
2009-12-11, 10:05 PM
:smallsmile:

Dimers
2009-12-11, 10:12 PM
Sorry and/or fortunately, the Book of Erotic Fantasy can't provide a solution. Its spells can make a beholder desire another creature (irrational attraction, druid4 or ranger4) or desire the caster (seduction, bard4 or sor/wiz5). Its spells to ensure fertility between types (blessed seed and fiendish seed) both specify "opposite gender", though. Huh, hadn't thought about that before -- one more example of the book's heavy hetero bias. :smallannoyed:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-12, 12:45 AM
Sorry and/or fortunately, the Book of Erotic Fantasy can't provide a solution. Its spells can make a beholder desire another creature (irrational attraction, druid4 or ranger4) or desire the caster (seduction, bard4 or sor/wiz5). Its spells to ensure fertility between types (blessed seed and fiendish seed) both specify "opposite gender", though. Huh, hadn't thought about that before -- one more example of the book's heavy hetero bias. :smallannoyed:Polymorph.

Ranos
2009-12-12, 12:54 AM
Bastard and bloodlines actually describes a half-beholder template. They look fairly similar to Thurbane's rendition.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/866/halfbeho.th.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/866/halfbeho.jpg)

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-12, 01:46 AM
What would a half-beholder look like? Like some eldritch abomination from The Far Realm, I think.

Oh, the horror!http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/azxtwins/fantasy/people/img001.jpg

Warning! Not for the faint of heart!

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-12, 01:49 AM
Or possibly:http://www.scene-stealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/monsters_inc_pic_02.jpg

Coidzor
2009-12-12, 02:49 AM
At least, we know the truth about Mike Lebowski...

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 06:51 AM
At least, we know the truth about Mike Lebowski...
OH GOD BRAIN BLEACH PLEASE!

taltamir
2009-12-12, 08:36 AM
Or possibly:http://www.scene-stealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/monsters_inc_pic_02.jpg

bah, this guy is cute... mialee though? she is horrid!

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-12-12, 09:48 AM
Beholders do not mate with other beholders.

In fact:

"Beholder A" sees "beholder y" in a clearing. "B-A" looks almost exactly like "b-y" except that his Disintegrate ray eyestalk is a little more crooked. B-A and B-Y then try to kill each other because they see a difference in themselves. Beholders are freaking insane. (0)-X

Beholders are not just xenophobic, they hate EVERYTHING. Even other beholders. So the thought of a Wizard polymorphing into a beholder, or ding something to a beholder will only get him-or herself killed that much faster.

Beholders that see something other than themselves think one of three things, based on sanity level:

Sanity Level 1 (completely insane): Oooooh lunch
Sanity Level 2 (criminally insane): Oooooh slaves. Or take over their town for more slaves and lunch
Sanity Level 3 (insane and budding): DISINTEGRATE DISINTEGRATE DISINTEGRATE

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 09:51 AM
Beholders do not mate with other beholders.

In fact:

"Beholder A" sees "beholder y" in a clearing. "B-A" looks almost exactly like "b-y" except that his Disintegrate ray eyestalk is a little more crooked. B-A and B-Y then try to kill each other because they see a difference in themselves. Beholders are freaking insane. (0)-X

Beholders are not just xenophobic, they hate EVERYTHING. Even other beholders. So the thought of a Wizard polymorphing into a beholder, or ding something to a beholder will only get him-or herself killed that much faster.

Beholders that see something other than themselves think one of three things, based on sanity level:

Sanity Level 1 (completely insane): Oooooh lunch
Sanity Level 2 (criminally insane): Oooooh slaves. Or take over their town for more slaves and lunch
Sanity Level 3 (insane and budding): DISINTEGRATE DISINTEGRATE DISINTEGRATE
I figure he'll just use magic to create a crossbreed.

AslanCross
2009-12-12, 10:30 AM
what is a beholder kin?

I'm ignoring all the squick material in this thread to answer this.

Basically, only true beholders consider themselves to be, well, true beholders. The core MM has one beholderkin, and that's the Gauth. Budget store beholder.

Lords of Madness adds the following:
-Directors (these guys piggy-back onto the nervous systems of large vermin)
-Eye of the Deep (Beholder Crab Battle)
-Overseer (Looks more like a tree with mouths and eye stalks for branches instead of a classic orb-type beholder)
-Spectator (the nice kind of Beholder)
-Hive Mothers (while not discriminated against by the regular beholders, these are supreme loads of nasty)

Monsters of Faerun has the following:
-Eyeball Beholder (really tiny variant the size of a basketball)
-Gouger (has a long, vicious barbed tongue)
-Deathkiss (has ten blood-draining tentacles instead of eyestalks)

Volkov
2009-12-12, 10:41 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Mollusks, they're just weird aren't they?

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:48 AM
Mollusks, they're just weird aren't they?

This is why I never want to go underwater, that, and I don't know how to swim.