PDA

View Full Version : Good quiz/trivia games

paddyfool
2009-12-11, 01:23 PM
I've a Christmas gift help request for the forum.

My sister, who knows I'm into board games, has asked me to get her a quiz game for Christmas. I really don't know which quiz games are better than others, however. Also, she and her fiance are both smart & knowledgable types, so on the one hand I don't want to go too simple with this. On the other, it might also be good if it's something they can play with their (currently 5-month-old) kid when he's a bit older. Any suggestions?

EDIT: boardgamegeek.com's top recommendation under the Trivia category is something called "wits and wagers". Has anybody here tried this?

Arang
2009-12-12, 09:08 AM
Well, Trivial Pursuit is a classic for a reason. It also comes in every variety except Pecan, which means you probably won't have too much trouble tracking down a version that suits both kids and adults.

I don't know if this still holds true, but a few years I got a Disney version for Christmas and it was basically a war crime (the questions were laughably easy or totally obscure), although it was divided into kids' and adults' categories, so everyone could play.

paddyfool
2009-12-13, 09:58 AM
Thanks! Anyone else?

Also, in particular, has anyone tried "Where is Moldova"?

Corlindale
2009-12-13, 10:35 AM
Bezzerwizzer has pretty much dethroned Trivial Pursuit here in Denmark - It exists in an UK version as well, but that one apparently isn't quite as popular as the ones we have here, at least from what I could briefly discern through its amazon page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bezzerwizzer-English-Trivia-Board-Game/dp/B001CC1BFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1260718925&sr=8-1).

It's main virtues include a much greater variety of questions than TP (20 categories as opposed to 6), and the possibility of arranging categories so that you will receive the most points from your favorite categories among the ones you draw each round. There are also some interesting tactical options allowing you to sometimes answer the questions your opponent fails, which means you won't be sitting idle when it's not your turn - something which can be a major issue in a long game of TP with many players.

EDIT: However, it might not be as suitable for younger children because there is not a specific "Family" version of the game available in the UK.