PDA

View Full Version : Escape From Ravenloft[IC]

dangerprawn
2009-12-11, 02:42 PM
The white haze that obscured your vision begins to fade and color and shapes return to the world. Pain like waves of fire receed from your body and you look up to see a crowd of peasants standing in a circle around you. The ground is cold and hard against your back and memories begin to float through your head...

The assault on the Wizards tower...charging through his guards...Ellinae falling to the golems fists...the Wizard laughing as you all stepped onto the pentagram etched into the floor...pain as the world swirled away into a kaleidoscope of wrong colors and weird angles.

Turning your head you see your companions waking up. You rise up, standing on unsteady feet as the world sways for a moment and then balances. The peasants whisper to themselves and back away. In the distance, at the base of cloud covered mountains, a dark castle stands...

-----

Out of Character Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7480850#post7480850)

Ellinae was your groups halfling cleric. She died in the tower of the dark wizard Renman.

Everyone is damaged from the battle. You current HP is 75% of your maximum, and if you have any spells per day or other per day abilities, mark half of them as cast or used.

Aecus
2009-12-11, 03:57 PM
Grabbing his quarterstaff, Janastor pushes himself off the ground and stands up straight to face the crowd.

Janastor is a man of normal height with a slim frame. He has long glossy black hair and light blue eyes. His dirty and slightly battered clothing is a rich maroon robe with gold embroidery and long ribbons wrapped around his body, and a golden belt.

Hung across his back are two crossed staves, both which seemed to shimmer upon inspection.

Looking to his companions, Janastor sees that those who had made the journey along with him had arrived more or less unharmed.

"At least this time the travel was not accompanied by an explosion. Small pleasures." He comments towards them as they awake.

Turning away from his companions Janastor takes a step forward and singles out one of the peasants, preferably one who looks like he has some position of knowledge or importance, and speaks to him.

"Ho there. I apologize for our eventful entrance. We mean you fine people no harm. If I may ask a question of you, we are confused by our predicament; where exactly are we? What land, and if you know what world?"

If diplomacy is needed for this
[roll0]

and Janastor uses a swift action for minor shapeshift to give him 12 temporary hit points. Assume he continues to sustain this. (The effect lasts 6 rounds)

Edit: And no, Janastor has not told his companions where he has come from or how yet.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-11, 04:26 PM
Sahre coughed as he pushed himself off the ground. Where was he? Was the first thought to creep into his muddled mind as he pushed himself off the ground. Everything went insane, if he hadn't been shielded by Paimon and Zceryll he might not be anything approaching sane right now. Colors out of shape, and that laughing. And Ellinae. Wasn't a bad sort, for a cleric. she didn't deserve that. Shuddering Sahre turned, examining his surroundings. Rest of the gang seemed to be out of it still, save Janastor, who was doing the sensible thing and trying to figure out where int he nine hells that bloody wizard had zapped them to...

Ignoring the whispers of the peasants he began to dust off traveling cloths, then pulled a piece of chalk out from his bag and began drawing circles and symbols on the ground. They seemed to be out of danger, and without Ellinae looks like it'd be up to him to patch everyone up.

"Hey, Janastor," Sahre called over, "Figure out what you can 'bout that castle. Whoever up there might be able to help us get a teleport out, or maybe a message."

wxdruid
2009-12-11, 06:19 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra remains on the ground with her eyes closed for a few moments as she listens to the commotion around her. She's still trying to determine exactly what happened. She'd never seen those effects before and her mind is always curious about what she hasn't seen before. She puts one hand to her head, trying to calm the headache coming on. She feels the pain in her body from the impact and she finally sits up and looks around.

Interesting, is her first thought, the peasants and the castle in the distance. She unsteadily gets to her feet and finds her balance, Well....that wasn't what I was expecting. She looks at each of her companions, Is everyone here? Where are we? She doesn't say much more as she evaluates their surroundings.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/Town/Cassandrablackrobed.gif

Anonanimal
2009-12-11, 06:57 PM
Sigfried, like the others, lands on a heap on the ground, his black cloak looking all too much like a death shroud in this dark environment. Shakily, the Warlock gets up, dusting off his garments, making sure his resplendent armor still shines. He takes a look around, taking in the new surroundings and adjusts back into his normal, regal posture.

Sigfried is dressed in a black hooded cloak, and that skin which the cloak doesn't cover is also covered in skin-tight black cloth. His mithral armor (which covers his arms to the elbow, his legs to the knee, and his chest) is adorned with an elegant pictogram showing an epic that Sigfried has taken many opportunity to regale his comrades with--his own. He fishes his hand into his black leather satchel, making sure everything is in working condition, and nods as he finds that everything is. He clears his throat, makes sure his mithral mask is on straight, steps forward and speaks up.

"Greetings. Do not be alarmed--we come here in peace."

He turns to Sahre and whispers, "Do you have any clue where we are? That damned wizard...my head is killing me."

dangerprawn
2009-12-11, 11:32 PM
The peasants all draw back from you as you gain your feet. The small group, about ten or twelve total, whisper to themselves as Janastor approaches. An older man steps up to face him, his kilt a bit cleaner and cut somewhat nicer than the rest of the group. His long brown hair is braided and falls down his back.

He glances at all of you for a moment, suspicion in eyes. "I am Lenay, strangers. You are in the village of Midlothian." He raises an eyebrow at Janastor. "You are in the King's land, and this be the only world I know of."

Lenay stares at Janastor for a moment and then shrugs. Turning towards Sahre he say, "Hey, you there. That's a fancy drawing. And there's no one in that castle." He pauses. "Well, no one that could help you, or anyone you might want to be talking to."

He glances at Sigfried and steps back. And takes another step. And another, until he has his back against the group of peasants behind him. "That," he says, "is a very serious mask you have on. Now. Who in the sons of woad are you all, and why are you standing in my village?"

Standing up gives you a better view of the area. Ahead of you, far in the distance, stands the castle at the foothill of great mountains. One on side of you the plains stretch out and on the other a great forest grows in what look to be hills. The hills and the forest stand above the woods that have crept down to within bowshot of the village. Behind you the plains continue out of sight. Though the sun is high in the day, the wind is chill and clouds cover the sky, casting a pall over the green and rich earth.

DrakeRaids - I'm assuming you're about to bind a vestige, correct? Which one?

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 12:27 AM
Well, I'm first going to exspell Paimon, the bind Buer.

Sahre ignored the village leader for a moment, focusing on the seal he was drawing on the ground. Closing his eyes he began whispering words and oaths in a tongue long dead, and slowly a cloaked figure, blades forming its legs and arms appeared in the circle. It stood there for a moment, nodded at Sahre then flashed, and vanished in an instant.

The first segment done, Sahre glanced over at Siegfried and shook his head, "I never heard of any Midlothian, but I haven't heard of alot of places. Best find a wizard or a sage about. They can point us in the right direction," he said nodding to himself before gesturing over at Eldar, "Well? Any local wizards or sages about, and why won't the person in the castle help us?" Sahre asked before turning back to the circle and whispering again in that odd tongue, this time determined to bring a different vestige.

"I'm not sure I can control Buer, after binding today already..." he said as he glanced over at the rest of the party, "If I act a little odd until dawn tomorrow... Well you guys know the drill. Forgetfulness, absent minded. But we need healing, no two ways about it. Just try not to let me wander off." he finished before turning back to his work.

OOC: Attempt to bind Buer, because I just expelled a vestige the test is at +10 DC So I need a 30

[roll0]

Anonanimal
2009-12-12, 12:57 AM
Sigfried bows his head and takes another step toward Lenay.

"I am Sigfried Alvine, of the Alvine Saga. I was born in a world of darkness and delivered it into the light. I have saved worlds from the corruption of man and devil alike. We were banished here by a dark wizard, but perhaps this is a sign of providence."

His hand crackles with hissing and popping lime green energy, which forms into the shape of the Saint's Spear, a glaive made of eldritch energies.

"It seems like the world you live in is in a sorry state. Perhaps we were brought here to rectify that."

Aecus
2009-12-12, 03:52 AM
"We are not sure yet Cassandra" Janastor says in an aside to the other mage before turning to the rest of his companions.

"Yes let us all speak mysteriously, display our powers in front of random people, and insult their world before we know a thing about where we are. I'm sure this will have no negative consequences. Though still, thank you Sahre we do need healing." Janastor remarks sarcastically and loud enough for the group to hear, but not much louder. "Try and be a little discrete at least, please? We don't really have an idea where we are yet, and I doubt the wizard was laughing because he sent us to a land of milk and honey."

I suspect I will have to play the role of damage control, again. Fun.

Quickly stepping forward Janastor attempts to take control of the situation again. "We all know you like to brag about your encounters Siegfried. Forgive him elder, he is filled with bravado, not threat. If I may introduce myself, my name is Janastor. It is a pleasure to meet you"

"We are all in a state of confusion. We are simple adventurers and we do not know where exactly we are. It was not our intent to intrude upon your village. We were engaged in a fight that we lost and that sent us here as weary as you see now. We are quite befuddled."

It is hard to draw attention to oneself with speech alone when others were making such provocative displays, but Janastor tries his best. "If our intrusion is a cause of anguish to your village we shall leave as soon as we have collected ourselves, but if it is possible may we inquire about the lay of the land and the location of the closest cities or hubs of trade? Or as my companion mentioned, may you point us to the closest wise man or woman?"

"Finally, may I inquire deeper about the castle? If it just an oppressive lord I am sure we can convince him as reasonable beings that we simply seek information. And... if it is something worse in the castle we may also be able to solve such a problem if you so desire."

No offense meant all, Janastor is just a slightly caustic type of person :smallsigh:

A bluff check to downplay our abilities and another diplomacy check to try keep all the frightened peasants calm.

Edit: I don't know how but my rolls got screwed up, I rerolled the two checks in the OOC thread to keep this place clean.

[roll0]
[roll1]

wxdruid
2009-12-12, 04:21 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra is taking the oppotunity to look around and she tries to notice and commit the small details to memory. Such as, the villages buildings, wood? stone? What is the common material used for clothing? Is there only one main road in the village or is it a crossroads? Small details like that could give her hints about their location and the probably prosperity or poverty of these peasants. She tucks her hands into her sleeves while she thinks.

dangerprawn
2009-12-12, 09:57 AM
As the black shroud appears and dances on it's blades, most of the villagers scream and shrink away. The rest of them follow suit as Sigfried manifests his glowing glaive, and all but Lenay run away, fleeing into the fields and houses.

Lenay stands his ground and swallows hard, sweat appearing on his brow. He glances between the chalk diagram where the dancing horror stood and the man wearing a mask of metal wielding a weapon of burning energy. He closes his eyes for a moment and takes a deep breath. "The castle is abandoned, shunned by folk for the haunting spirits that live there." He opens his eyes again. "Though I suppose those that traffic in spirits themselves should have no problem with those that remain." He glances around, making sure that his people are gone into hiding.

He says in a low voice, "I might guess that you wouldn't be bothered by a man such as myself, but I would still offer myself in place of my village. If you defeat me, then there is nothing to be done." He steps back and slips a slender dagger from his belt and palms it, eyes darting back and forth. "Who will be your champion, if you have one?"

Cassandra

The houses that the villagers fled into are all made of stone, with thatched roofs. The ground level homes are long and wide, with smalls walls running around them. The road is not much more than a dirt path that leads towards the woods, where it joins a fortified dirt road that goes both ways, toward the mountains and the plains behind you.

The clothes they wore were sturdy, made of what looks like simple cotton and leather. The men wore strange knee-length skirts while the women wore longer, simpler country dresses.

Looking around, you see a few faces peer out from the open windows of some of the stone houses. You hear a few sobs, though the screaming has stopped, replaced by a cold wind that drives down from the mountain.

Sahre

The chalk outlines hum with energy as you finish the drawing. You feel the power reaching out to call Beur and bind her to your will. She hears your call and responds, appearing in a flash of light as a grotesque spinning wheel made of satyr legs. In the hub of the wheel on either side is a face; on one a smiling green hag, on the other a raging lioness.

The wheel makes one revolution around the circle and then stops, balancing on a leg. The lion roars and the green hag says, "Why have you bound me to you, here, in this place? You should not be here."

Lenay stares at the apparition with open mouth and drops his dagger, his hands hanging limp at his side.

This is what the house look like - old house. (http://www.applecrosswalks.org.uk/images/lonbain.jpg)

Also Aecus, it's kind of hard to Bluff and downplay your abilities when your friends do that. :smallwink:

I'm trying to post it and write it from how the villagers would see it. I'm pretty sure they would freak out. It's nothing to you all for your friend to summon an alien being and bind it to his will; but for these people? That's scary.

Aecus
2009-12-12, 11:33 AM
Why do you think my guy mentally face palmed? You don't start making pacts with dead gods and brandishing spears of glowing energy in front of random peasants unless you want reactions like that. Which to be fair, some of the companions might desire.

Sahre's vestige seems to be frightened of this place... that is not good.

"There is no need to offer yourself. We will not harm your village, and we will not stay here much longer. It seems we have already worn out our welcome. Again, all I ask is you answer where we might travel to find the nearest hub of trade or city." Janastor speaks softly.

Taking a step forward Janastor reaches down and picks up Lenay's dagger and holds it out to him hilt first. "Ignore the apparition. It is contained and cannot do anything to you."

"Let me describe your situation simply. The sooner you get a hold of yourself the sooner we shall leave and thus take the source of your village's fright away from you. Perhaps, we might even investigate the source of the castle's disturbance if you answer well enough and calmly enough."

Another attempt at diplomacy that is probably doomed to failure :smalltongue:
[roll0]

Anonanimal
2009-12-12, 12:02 PM
My character didn't want that, persay, but I expected such a reaction. Unfortunately, Sigfried is kind of used to being the conquering hero. He's not used to fear anymore.

Sigfried lets the glaive disappear. He frowns underneath his mask, and then finally puts two and two together and takes it off. He is in his early 30's, though still looks quite young. Though he hasn't shaven in days, it looks like he has, as he's had little stubble growth at all. Bright green eyes flicker with confusion (and yes, a bit of eldritch power).

"...I'm sorry for scaring you. We don't want you or your village. We just want to help you. Even if we were to fight you, there would still be things to be done. What makes you so afraid to see heroes like us? What has hardened your heart?"

Sigfried has a penchant for flowery speech.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 01:00 PM
Its not that Sahre didn't realize that would happen, even in faerun vestiges are rare, he just cares more about getting himself and the rest of the party fixed up before the wizard or some other nasty comes and blast them into oblivion. Which is not an unreasonable position.

Sahre ignore the rest of the proceedings as soon as Buer appeared, putting his full concentration onto the task at hand, he moved around the circle filling it with power, blind to the screams of the villagers, doing his best to not mess it up. This would be tricky, after expelling a vestige he was always drained, it would be easy to make a mistake. But by fate or luck, it went flawlessly, and Buer stood bound before him.

He was nonetheless confused by her words, "Not supposed to be here?" Sahre asked questionably to vestige as he walked around the circle keeping her face towards him, "I don't understand Grandmother Huntress, how is this place different from any other? Another plane among many to be sure but what of it?"

NotANinja
2009-12-12, 01:13 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

“Master warlock,” Rowan glanced slowly to her black cloaked ally, “if you are to speak of all of us, I would appreciate you not have us sound like braggarts incapable of empathy. You need only consider our arrival and activities to understand their fear.”

She turned back to Lenay, waiting patiently for him to recover his bearings.

wxdruid
2009-12-12, 05:20 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra doesn't want to add to the general fear and confusion. She keeps her empty hands in sight and does nothing alarming. She listens and watches and tries to remain as un-intimidating as possible.

dangerprawn
2009-12-12, 05:34 PM
Sahre

The wheel turns again, slower than usual as if uncertain of it's footing. The hag face speaks. "I was once here, before the end of time, before the long sleep." The wheel makes another slow circle. "There are no gods here; no devils, no angels. All that is good and all that is evil lay only in the hearts of men." The wheel pauses for a moment, wavering on a hoof. She continues in a whisper. "I know more...I knew more...I am more...but the light has faded from my day. Dark skies, powers crowding around you. Can you not see them?"

The lion roars and the wheel whips into a frenzy, racing around the circle until it is only a blur. The power reels back against you and slams into you, breaking your concentration. The wheel vanishes as if it had never been there. The sigils fade and the chalk turns to ash, carried away by the chill wind.

Rowan

Lenay stares at the wheel, eyes glazed over and unfocused. When it disappears he staggers back as if hit by some unseen force. He doubles over for a moment, then slowly straightens up. "La-Lady Rowan? I...I don't..." He pauses a moment, tilting his head slightly as if straining to hear. He says, his voice barely audible. "Teleport? I dinnae know what you mean." He takes the dagger and holds it tight in his left hand, his fingers slowly clenching and unclenching around it. "The wheel...was beast legs..." He says, trailing off, eyes shut tight.

I actually expected something like this might happen. Big damn heroes aren't afraid of summoning some dead god, but sometimes they forget that the normal folk they're trying to save are afraid. Which is totally understandable. Just wanted to ground you guys a little. :smallsmile:

Also, congrats on avoiding the first Horror save in the game. It went to an NPC. Who failed it.

Everyone can make Sense Motive checks to try and figure out what's wrong with Lenay. Or magic, if you've got something that would work.

Aecus
2009-12-12, 05:46 PM
"Well isn't this just a wonderful start of the day." Janastor says as he simultaneously processes the strange behavior from the vestige, and Lenay's new behavior.

Why do you think my guy is so nondescript? Heh oh well.

[roll0]

And if it matters, a Knowledge Arcana check to know anything about odd Vestige behavior.

[roll1]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 06:00 PM
Sahre staggered back blinking fanatically. This was not anything close to good. He'd never seen a Vestige act like that before, least of all Buer, who was fairly easygoing as far ancient souls of indefinable power caught in a limbo between planes and death go. He felt the power from the binding surge through him, but he remained uneasy.

"Listen," Sahre said, turning toward the rest of the group at last, "I think we need to get out of here, as soon as possible. I-I've never seen that happen before, and that? That was a successful binding. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't channeled her right or..." Sahre trailed off shaking his head.

"Something isn't right here," he said vaguely, "And the sooner we leave the better. I'm gonna start patching everyone up and then we can find some way out of this place. Cass, hold still, you've only got a few flesh wounds, so I'll this'll only take a moment."

Sahre moved over by Cassandra and held his hand before her, and closed his eyes for a moment as a faint glow filled the air, centering on the mages wounds that slowly closed and healed like new.

Healing Gift on Cassandra [roll0]

Well this is unfortunate. This horror save thing remands me a bit of DH. At least Sahre is immune to fear as long as I've got a vestige bound... So he'll be o.k right? Do failed horror saves "Heal" over time? Or is he just kinda screwed now?

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 06:05 PM
After thinking on it a moment Sahre tried to recall any whispers of something that would cause a vestige to behave as such.

Knowledge Planes: [roll0]

Anonanimal
2009-12-12, 07:09 PM
Sigfried simply grumbles and takes a small step back in response to Rowan's consternation.

"I am not a braggart."

It is clear even he doesn't believe himself when he says that. He looks quite concerned at the villager's response to their magic, but doesn't say anything. He knows he's screwed things up, and doesn't want to do so further. He only mumbles to himself,

"No Gods, no Devils, and no angels...and from the sound of the man, no magic..."

He cuts himself short. A chill runs up his spine--this scenario is all too familiar to him.

wxdruid
2009-12-12, 08:07 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra smiles and stands still while she's healed. Thank you Sahre, I feel much better now. Her headache and other wounds are now gone and she feels so much better.

She follows after Rowan, not close enough to intrude, but close enough in case something happens.

Sense Motive [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2]

dangerprawn
2009-12-12, 08:38 PM
Rowan walks with the dazed Lenay, Cassandra close behind. The man says little intelligble, his left eye twitching as he lets himself be lead like a dog on a leash. "Spinning...fast." Nothing about what's going on in his mind is clear to either of you.

The dozen or so houses that make up the village are grouped around the dirt clearing in a rough circle, and you lead him to a bench next to a stone well. He puts his hand out without looking down and sits, back against the stone. He begins to rock back and forth a little, very short movements, as his eyes roam around the village, not stopping on any one thing.

A young woman runs out from one of the houses, her long red hair flying behind her, her green dress getting dirt stains as she comes toward the well. She runs up to Lenay and crouches down, putting her arms around him. "What's going on father? What's wrong?" She looks at him, but he makes no response. She turns to the two of you standing there. "What have you done to him?" She screams.

Aecus
2009-12-12, 09:01 PM
Watching Cassandra and Rowan leave with Lenay Janastor turns towards Siegfried and remarks. "Yes, you are a braggart. You just don't realize it. You are important, so it feels natural to you, but it is still bragging."

Pausing for a second Janastor addends to his speach "This may be a dark domain with blocked access to gods, but obviously our magic still functions. If need be that will be enough. Besides he knew about dealing with spirits and that sounds like magic exists in this realm. It is not unthinkable that teleportation could be unknown in such a poor place."

Looking back towards the village Janastor sighs and says "I very doubt we will get much out of here except pitchforks and fires. Dealing with these type of people is not my forte, though I am not as.... negligent as some others. That being said, I think I shall answer my own questions about the lay of the land. Hopefully without breaking any more poor villager's minds."

Moving as away from the village far enough so that he can be discrete, Janastor invokes an arcane chant and summons before him a magnificent regal and seemingly quasi-corporeal horse.

Assuming that nothing goes wrong with this here... Janastor casts Phantom Steed. He will procede to take his military saddle out of his haversack, put it on the steed.

He will mount it and ride up 180 ft in the air using air walk to see the lay of the land, and then descend another 60ft, where the round will end and the air walk will end and allow him to fall safely to the ground.

Anonanimal
2009-12-12, 09:02 PM
Sigfried simply nods at Janastor's addendum, and then follows Rowan and Cassandra. He stays silent in response to Lenay's daughter's screaming--best to get a better idea of the situation before opening his mouth again. Still, he is clearly disturbed by the goings-on.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 09:30 PM
While Rowen, Cassandra, and Siegfried helped the poor man back to his house Sahre went off on his own abit. Shaking his head ruefully he walked slowly toward the castle, feeling the healing magic course through him as he moved. He had a feeling Buer was what had distressed the man so, and he didn't want to be anywhere near the Rowen if she decided to go all "Righteous Indignation," on him.

So he moved off on his own, giving the man a chance to recover and tempers to cool. He was still disturbed about what the Vestige had said, and what little he had remembered, a place without gods. Forsaken, good and evil had prospered in the hearts of men....

He didn't like it. Not at all.

On a whim he began to take a walk in the woods he had seen earlier, cautiously moving through the heavy boughs.

With my fast healing I'll be back to full strength in a minute and a half, so I'm going ahead and marking my HP at full

also, deleted the spot check, since it was no longer relevant

dangerprawn
2009-12-13, 04:09 PM
The young woman listens to Rowan speak, staring her in the eye as if appraising her. She nods her head slightly. "Aye, there is...someone who might be able to help him. I do not know if he will though." She turns back to her father and whispers in his ear, leans back and waits for a response, but Lenay says nothing. She gently pries his fingers off the dagger and clasps his hand, sitting down on the bench next to him.

She turns her head back to you. "I do not know where the Merlin is, but the tales say that if you merely seek him, he will find you." She glances over to the dark woods nearby. "They say he lives in the great forest beyond our own, that he lives among the Woads like their own god."

---

In the air above the village the wind bites into your clothes. You see Sahre walk off towards the woods. Rising up you are able to see that the woods go on for what looks like miles before rising up into the hills. The trees and growth of that great forest seem dim, as if capturing the light instead of sending it away. The plains on the other sides of the village are scattered with underbrush and hedges. Small groups of farm animals, horses and bovines, graze nearby a small garden beyond the houses.

In the air the true distance to the castle is seen. Though many miles, possibly hundreds, the dark form is still visible against the base of the mountains. How huge it would have to be for it to be visible at this distance you can only imagine.

---

The woods are quiet and green. The underbrush is light from what appears to be regular use by the villagers. You spot a few gametrails running different ways and looking deeper you can see that the trees slowly get thicker and the forest denser the farther into it you travel.

The screaming of the young woman has stopped, though glancing back you don't see anyone else leaving their houses.

Aecus
2009-12-13, 04:31 PM
"Amazing" Janastor says to himself as his horse drops softly to the ground. That castle... it must be larger than a city. I wonder now how absurd I sounded when I offered to deal with whatever lived there. Whatever has the power to build an edifice like that does either is an exceedingly powerful being, or has the support of exceedingly powerful beings. Especially considering the odd behavior of the vestige...

I should relate this to the rest of the group. With that thought Janastor heads off in the direction of Sahre, attempting to stop the binder before he ventures too far into the woods. With the pace of his horse, he reasons that he should catch up quickly.

I misread the description of Phantom Steed. The only thing unnatural on it are hooves that are insubstantial. Which is enough to notice something bad in close quarters, otherwise it just looks like a fast horse (when it isn't flying.)

Edit: And I'm leaving it up to Drakeraids if he wants Janastor to reach Sahre quickly or not.

Anonanimal
2009-12-13, 05:15 PM
"This Merlin...what sort of man is he? Good or evil? If he is the former, then I am sure he will help. If he is the later, we will deal with him. I have destroyed Devils and freed Gods from prisons. Getting this man's aid will be a trifle."

He lays a hand carefully on the young woman's shoulder.

"Your father's state was partly my fault as well, I believe. I will not rest until I have righted the wrong I have committed."

He looks her in the eyes, his brow furrowed, and then seems to remember something.

"Oh. The mask..."

Sigfried retrieves his mithral mask from his haversack where he'd deposited it, and holds it up for the girl to see.

"Your father seemed to be afraid of the mask I wore. It's harmless, really--it simply details parts of my saga. That reaction...do you know why he had that reaction to my mask? Does it mean anything here?"

NotANinja
2009-12-13, 05:26 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan nodded. “Then we'll do our absolute best to see your father restored, and will make all haste to find the Merlin.” She smiled at the warlock, reminded then why she preferred to keep his company than lose it.

“As you can see, my comrades are kind-hearted. Your father will be tended to.” She turned away from the befuddled man and his daughter, and rose her halberd, steadily waving it back and forth slightly to signal wanting the others' attention.

dangerprawn
2009-12-13, 05:27 PM
The young lady glances at the mask in your hand. "I don't know. Haven't ever seen one like that, but I don't know why that would bother him, except maybe to startle him." She closes her eyes a moment and shudders. "I..I caught a glimpse of the...spinning thing out of the corner of my eye." She glances at where the chalk circle was. Though the chalk has been blown away there are faint burn marks on the ground describing the pattern. "I think it was that thing, whatever it was."

She turns towards Sigfried. "The Merlin is...was...a man. I suppose he still is." She shrugs. "I can't tell you the color of his heart, only speak to what he was done. Somethings may be seen as harmful, yet looked at again, one is not so sure."

She glances at Rowan and nods her head again and takes a deep breath. "My heart wants me to take my fathers dagger and bleed you where you stand." She pauses. "But I feel you meant no harm." She stares hard into your eyes. "Still. I will hold you to your word. Do as you have said, or the fates will punish you more than I ever could. Will you take an oath, upon your blood, to do this as you have said?" She looks at you for a moment, anger in her eyes. It slowly fades. "I fear it is the only thing I can do, as it is clear I can not avenge my father as I would wish."

Anonanimal
2009-12-13, 05:33 PM
Sigfried nods. "There is no need to be afraid of us, my lady, or the powers we command. Though I don't pretend to understand what it is my friend summons, I know that the spinning thing helps him heal people. Whether or not it has good intentions, it is with good intentions that he uses its power."

He sees Rowan's gesture and places his mask back on his face.

"Yes, Lady Rowan?"

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 05:43 PM
Sahre hadn't moved far into the odd forest before Janastor swooped down on that horse of his. Flying, hurm. He need to find a vestige that could do that, it was a useful trick. But it was immaterial anyways. He still wanted to be out of here as soon as possible. It was an unknown, and while no world is all sunshine and rainbows...

Well the devil you know is better then the one you don't.....

"Hey Janastor." Sahre said greeting the sorcerer, "Find anything interesting up there?" He asked gesturing vaguely up into the sky, "And while your done here want me to fix you up?"

wxdruid
2009-12-13, 05:50 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra has been sitting quietly, listening all this time. Yes, we will find Merlin and ask that he help your father recover. She isn't sure what to think of this place or the inhabitants. But, she's resolved to do what needs to be done and looks to her companions for agreement.

Aecus
2009-12-13, 05:50 PM
"Yes thank you, I do feel worn out." Janastor responds to Sahre, as he dismounts from the phantom steed. "I found out two things. First, these forests are exceedingly thick and extend for miles. I did not want you to go off alone, because one could very easily get lost in a forest like this. Especially the way you described binding this vestige could cause memory trouble. Additionally, the same applies to the plains. I did not see many signs of civilization at all."

Smiling thinly, Janastor waits a second before resuming speaking. "The other thing I discovered... is that the castle is far larger than it appears to be. It is... unreal just how large it is. It is larger than a city, and far farther away than one could assume from the ground. It is obviously a place of great power, and I wanted to bring this information to all of us. I would be willing to assume that whatever lives here is what keeps this people in such a condition, and it might even be what is frightening your vestiges."

"In short, we should tread carefully. Very carefully." Janastor finishes with a slight frown. "I think we should head back to the others now."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 06:13 PM
Spending two minutes healing Janastor

Healing Gift: [roll0]

Sahre stepped back, the healing done , and glanced over at Rowen trying to get there attention. Looks like something was up, he thought ruefully as he saw her grim expression. Time to get to work, and still nothing had attack them. That was a small surprise in and of itself, wonder how long it'll last?

"Well," Sahre sighed, "Looks like we're needed." Sahre strood over to the rest of the party smiling softly, "Well Roe, the man gonna be alright?"

dangerprawn
2009-12-13, 06:19 PM
The young lady listen to you as you speak your vow. She places her father's hand on her lap and stands slowly. Without glancing down she takes the dagger and slices across her palm. She squeezes her hand into a fist and blood drops fall onto the dirt.

The light from the noon sun seems to dim as the wind picks up. "I have heard your oath and accept it." She squeezes harder, forcing more blood to drip out onto the earth. "The earth has tasted my blood. Let it taste yours." She hands you the blood stained dagger and looks up into the sky. Grey clouds swirl above, high in the air, blocking more light from the sun as the day darkens as if the sun was setting. The wind stops suddenly, and the clouds appear to be frozen in their movement, as if nature is holding it's breath.

If anyone wants to make a Spellcraft, Knowledge: Arcana or Religion check in the OOC, go ahead.

NotANinja - you could go ahead with the oath, or wait to see what your friends have to say about what's going on.

Anonanimal
2009-12-13, 06:31 PM
Sigfried knows little about religion or the arcane, but he'll give it a shot anyhow. Whatever comes up, though, he's going to take that oath.

[roll0]

Sigfried removes his gauntlet so his hand is laid bare, and takes the dagger in his other hand to cut across his palm.

"So be it. Let my promise be written in blood. Action has always served me better than words."

He cuts into his hand, flinching slightly, and draws a thin line in his skin. He clenches his fist as the young woman did, and lets the droplets sink into the earth.

wxdruid
2009-12-13, 06:34 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra notices the sudden change and looks up at the sky at the unusual phenomena, almost as if the world is waiting for Rowan to finish the oath. She's curious and mentally notes it for later, to write it down in her journal, this world is proving to be quite interesting.

Aecus
2009-12-13, 06:39 PM
"Interesting" Janastor says as he notices the magical changes in the world. This place... one truly needs to consider consequences far more carefully.

Stepping forward, he places a hand on Siegfried's shoulder and whispers into his ear. "You do realize, you just swore a binding oath. The very forces of this world will make you do so. You should really be more careful of what you swear or say next time, because things are far different here than you are used to."

dangerprawn
2009-12-13, 07:13 PM
The blood drops from Sigfrieds, Rowans and the womans hand loosely resemble the points of a triangle in the dirt. As the last of Rowans blood hits the ground, the earth shudders lightly for a moment. The blood in the dirt is drawn down, seeping into the earth until they disappear. The earth stills and the sky slowly brightens, the clouds swirling away.

The wind returns, though it is calmer and without the biting cold it held before.

"It is done." The young woman says. "I am Renai, by the way." She looks down at her father and places her uncut hand on his shoulder. "Come father, let's get you inside." Lenay rises and stands there, staring into nothing. Renai turns towards you. "I do not know where you may find the Merlin." She pauses. "There is a city, about a tendays travel north of here." She points behind the village, in the opposite direction of the castle. "Someone there may be able to help you."

To be clear, if the castle on the map is south of the village, she is pointing north.

Aecus
2009-12-13, 07:33 PM
It seems that foolish oaths and primal pacts have given us the information we wanted. In normal circumstances I would take this as an opportunity to leave such a group... but these are hardly normal circumstances. Besides, such individuals are often easy to manipulate if need be. Their dead set honor makes them predictable. For now, I shall follow them as they seek to fulfill this oath. In any case, this Merlin character sounds as if he might know be the best to approach about our predicament.

Speaking up Janastor says simply "Then I think we should leave soon. I doubt we will find much more answers here, and I can get us to the city by tommorow."

As he speaks the last portion Janastor gestures towards his horse, indicating the mode of travel.

Aecus
2009-12-13, 07:41 PM
"You wound me dear. I am more powerful than you assume. I have more than enough power left for this simple purpose, and even beyond that I would not balk away from further fights with the energies I have left to command." Janastor says with a slightly condescending tone and a small smirk.

wxdruid
2009-12-13, 07:42 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra ponders the significance of the binding oath and the effects it might have on her two companions in the future. When Rowan starts walking and Janastor offers rides for them all, she says, Thank you, to him and walks over to him.

Now that oaths have been made and their course is set, she's anxious to get on their way. She needs to rest and regain her spells after the earlier fight.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 07:52 PM
Here we go... Sahre thought to himself after Janastors little grin. That man needed to learn how to stop while he was ahead. Or had a head in any case. Time to defuse the situation as best as possible, everyone was on edge after the battle, and he couldn't blame them. He was still jumpy too, and by the nine hells they needed to stick togther- for now at least.

"Hey Roe," Sahre said moving in between the two, "hold still for a moment while Janastor gets the steeds up." Moving forward he began to initiate the healing still talking, "So where are we going now? And why? You know what happened back there? I'm still kinda fuzzy, ya know?"

[roll0] Minute and a half spent healing

Anonanimal
2009-12-13, 09:33 PM
Sigfried nods gravely at Janastor's warning, and snaps back--a little more biting than he would have liked--

"What do I care if I've bound myself? I promised, and I intend to keep that promise. Maybe you do not hold yourself to such standards, but I do."

He seems to have heard what came out of his mouth, and the snarling face underneath the mask changes to a bewildered one.

"I'm sorry, I...I don't know what came over me. As for me...well, I would fly of my own power were the steeds not faster. Once again, I apologize for my actions. You may be right--this place is different than what I'm used to."

dangerprawn
2009-12-13, 10:58 PM
While Janastor concentrates on summoning the steeds Renai leads her father to one of the houses. A small child opens the door for them and quickly shuts it after they enter. No one else exits while you stand next to the stone well. The village is silent save for your own voices and the wind cutting in between the houses. Scattered tools and bags lay strewn on the ground, dropped and forgotten when the villagers gathered around the strange people that had materialized from no where.

The burn marks of Sahre's summoning circle are clear in the dirt. The earth within the circle appears dimmer than the ground without, and the area still hums with a faint residue of power.

One by one the steeds appear and nearly an hour later you are mounted for travel. Looking back at the village again, you catch a face peering out from a window. Realizing they've been spotted, the face drops back into the shadows of the house.

-----

The path to the main road is little more than a widened game trail. The main road itself is simply loose dirt and flattened grass. As your phantom steeds pick up speed, they seem to float just above the surface of the road, their hooves making no sound from the impact and leaving no trail. The road leads north east, running parallel with the great forest on the hills to your left. The woods are ever present, sometimes close enough to reach out and touch, at other times hundreds of yards away.

The landscape rushes past you as your steeds run faster than any mortal horse. The wind cuts through your clothing, whipping it up around you and letting the cold seep in. After just a minute of riding, any unprotected skin is numb and cold to the touch.

The nearby woods make it seem as if you are rushing faster than the wind itself. Looking the other way the rolling plains in the distance appear to crawl by. Before long the road beings to pull away from the woods. Every mile now brings you farther away from the forest on the hills, and as you ride down the road you are able to see farther north, your view no longer blocked by the hills.

The land slopes down as it heads north and far in the distance you can see what appears to be a large hilltop with sharp crags jutting out from the end. Though the day is still overcast where you are, the sun shines down on the round hill, a single bright spot in the landscape.

The road continues north east and ahead in short distance you see what appears to be a small town. More than a double dozen buildings at first glance, some with more than one stories. The steeds race on, the town just over a mile away.

I know it was a kind of speeded up overland travel...but you guys are on super fast mounts. Figure'd I'd give you a warning of a town ahead while you still have time to react.

Here's a link to a picture of what the large hill looks like, though you're farther away than the picture shows. You're about 10 miles away, actually. The rest of the land is relatively flat, so this sticks up and out, makes it easy to spot.

Link. It's a big picture file. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Edinburgh_Arthur_Seat_dsc06165.jpg) (2,592 × 1,944)

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 11:08 PM
Sahre grimaced at the mention of Ellinae. He was slightly surprised her death had gotten to him so much, he had seen people die beside him, from goblinoids to men, but Ellinae had had a quality about her. She didn't deserve to rot there, untended. Ellinae was good people, and that was all there was to it. He smiled slightly at Rowens concern for him, but prayer and meditation just seemed, quaint almost, when he could tap into even greater power so much easier.

As they approached Sahre grinned to himself, "Ahh, at last." He sighed "A real town, hells I could use a drink after all this. You all mind if I stop by the tavern? Information gathering was never my specialty."

Anonanimal
2009-12-13, 11:14 PM
Sigfried looks guilty in response to the first part of Rowan's speech, but then chuckles slightly and grins despite himself when Rowan compliments him.

"Thank you, Rowan. I do try."

Though he is not exactly used to hugging people, he gladly gives it his best shot.

_ _ _ _ _

Sigfried claps a hand on Sahre's shoulder when he grimaces.

"She is in a better place than we are, friend. She is certainly in the Heavens, and we are in..."

He trails off, and mutters the next part of his speech to himself.

"I can't say. I begin to wonder if we have died, and have been sent to some dark afterlife."

He keeps quiet for most of the journey after this, and speaks up again at Sahre's mention of a tavern.

"Fortunately, it is mine. If Sahre would stop, I would go with him. There is much to learn in this place."

wxdruid
2009-12-14, 12:05 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra is still feeling bewildered by all the changes that occurred so quickly. Once on her horse, she mostly keeps to herself as they travel, trying to assimilate all of the new information. When she spots the town, she tries to see if they have better or worse houses than the ones in the village and if there is anyone around.

Aecus
2009-12-14, 07:45 AM
Something that would be surprising to his companions, is that Janastor did have feelings of regret and sorrow about Ellinae. If only I had been stronger. I am still weak, and still others cannot depend on me. How can I hope to change all the worlds if I am yet unable to protect a single person? My power has pushed me to great heights, but it is obvious I am not powerful enough yet, else we would never be in a situation like this, and Ellinae would not be dead.

Grimacing inwardly, Janstor stays silent for the entire ride.

When they reach the town Janastor turns to his companions and responds to their remarks. "For someone who knows nothing about information gathering Sahre, you chose the perfect place to start. The tavern is always a place with the loosest tongues and those most easy to pry for information. I agree with Siegfried. It would probably be the best place to start.

dangerprawn
2009-12-14, 08:06 AM
As you approach the town you see it is surrounded by a low wooden palisade, short, squat logs tied together standing upright. In front is dug a low ditch, with sharpened sticks and spears set in the ground facing outward. A wooden gate, wide enough for a wagon, is set and closed where it meets the road.

Beyond the barricade you can see wooden and stone buildings rise up to double stories. Several tendrils of smoke can be seen slowly drifting in the wind, bringing you the smell of woodsmoke and cooking food.

A man stands on a platform behind the palisade next to the gate. He sees you approach and calls out, "Travelers!" over his shoulder. A few more men appear at the top with bows and spears, though they appear to be more cautious than threatening. When you are within shouting distance he yells to you. "Hold, travelers. What be your business in Straiton..." His voice trails off as he gets a closer look at you, a puzzled expression on his face.

Aecus
2009-12-14, 08:53 AM
Pulling up his horse Janastor calls back in answer. "Greetings Goodman. Our purpose here today is to inquire after a certain individual as my companion has stated. We were directed to Straiton as a possible start to where we could find this man or learn more about him. I am sorry if our appearance is strange to you. We are from a distant land, and are still familiarizing ourselves with this place."

Pausing for a moment Janastor adds "If I may ask, is there a reason that Straiton seems to be prepared to defend against some threat? We had not heard that there were dangers in the area and would be glad to know if there is something to watch out for in our travels."

A bluff check to attempt to pass off our strangeness as being from a distant place, though it is technically true.

[roll0]

And a diplomacy for good effect.

[roll1]

dangerprawn
2009-12-14, 09:26 AM
The guards stiffen when you mention the Merlin. They look at another with worried faces and draw their bows. The man who spoke to you says to the guard next to him. "Go get the captain." The guards drops down from the palisade and you can hear his steps as he runs.

The sentry turns to you. "The one you seek is not here, nor is he a friend of those that live here. If he be a friend of yours..." He says.

More guards appear along the palisade, some looking at you, others scanning the country behind you.

The guard continues. "If he's a friend of yours, we'll be more than happy to give you some rest." He says, a wicked grin on his face. Looking closer at the guards, you can see that they are different than the villagers. They wear hauberks and metal helms. The part of their face you can see is a different complexion as well. Thinner, more pale. His voice is different as well, higher pitched and almost nasal.

NotANinja
2009-12-14, 09:34 AM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan immediately looked alarmed at the sudden bustle of aggressive activity, and she spoke quickly.

“Sir, we are not his friends, and not your enemy! We seek the Merlin solely because of his healing ability. My ally and I swore an oath to find him, so we might restore a wounded man. Please, we have no want for violence! We truly are just travellers, unknowing of your lands.”

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Aecus
2009-12-14, 09:46 AM
While they wait for the guards new response, Janastor hisses towards his companions in general. "Next time let me do the talking. You all have already managed to drive one man insane and now you are going to get the rest of us attacked, and force us to defend ourselves against frightened peasants."

"And if you do have to talk, here is a hint. Don't broadly proclaim to the world anything; either our purpose or our powers. Because most of the time both of those are probably things others do not need to know."

Aecus
2009-12-14, 10:22 AM
"The point was not to get into these situations in the first place. I would rather not resort to violence either, on that we agree. I know we could easily get out of here before they took a step, but that is not the point." Janastor says back, restraining his impulse to hiss again and speaks softly and calmly.

"I would rather not burn bridges, do you not agree? Is it not said that discretion is the better pat of valor? Because this group has been lacking discretion quite a bit lately, and I only seek to fix that. We know nothing of where we are, need I remind you. While I believe in your honesty and your god, we have no idea if anyone else does, so you cannot rely on plain speech and proclamations to get us anywhere." Janastor finishes.

dangerprawn
2009-12-14, 11:40 AM
The guard looks listen to Rowan speaks and is about to reply when he notices you speaking to yourselves. He cranes his head to hear, but frowns and leans back instead. Again he opens his mouth and is interrupted by a man climbing up and standing on the palisade next to him. The guards stand at attention and the sentry shuts his mouth.

The newcomer stands a head taller than the guards and is dressed not in a simple chain hauberk but wear an actual breastplate. His head is unadorned and his brown hair hangs down over the deep blue cloak he wears. He nods at the guard then turns to face you. "I am Captain Lonald." He glances at the guards with their bows drawn. "If your speech is true, then you may enter and we can discuss these questions you have." He looks closer at you all. "You do seem strangely attired to be allies of the Merlin." He looks beyond you, scanning the country for a moment. He nods and calls down. "Open the gate; let them in."

Aecus
2009-12-14, 11:45 AM
"It seems you are right in this instance. Still, I do believe this could have been better handled. But perhaps it is simply not in my nature to be so upfront." Janastor concedes grudgingly. He then trots his horse forward at a slow and calm pace toward the gate.

Anonanimal
2009-12-14, 11:47 AM
Sigfried stays silent for most of the exchange, opening his mouth to speak here and there but being interrupted too quickly to say anything. He nods when they are invited inside, and mutters to himself, somewhat astounded,

"Funny. I'm not used to being a man of few words..."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-14, 11:51 AM
Sahre sighed, the conflict over. That could have gone very bad if Lonald hadn't stepped in like that. On a whim Sahre began to probe with his mind, trying to get an idea of how many people where in the town, while simultaneously keeping an eye out for various things, a tavern, fortifications and the general attitude of the populace....

And attractive woman of course.

wxdruid
2009-12-14, 06:19 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra sighs inwardly as things go in all different directions with their arrival. It seems that the Merlin is not a popular figure to everyone and they just met a few who disliked him and she wonders if they're riding right into a trap, if the Captain has ulterior motives, but it seems there is little she can do at this time. She urges her own mount forward and follows her companions into the small town. She thinks to herself that she would have revealed less about their motives, but Rowan, well, she's that way and Cassandra doubts she'll change anytime in the near future.

dangerprawn
2009-12-14, 08:29 PM
On the other side of the gate a few guards stand around, wary but not threatening. The Captain climbs down a wooden ladder and waits for you all to enter before he turns back to the gate guards. "Close it." The guards swing the gate back and he motions forward into the town, walking beside you and your horses.

Seen from the inside the small town is really nothing more than a few dozen buildings circled by the palisade. The main road appears to be the only true road, and it continues straight on through to the end of the town, a mile or two where the palisade comes back circling around.

Captain Lonaldo glances back at you, eyes moving over each in turn. "I am more than a little curious as to the nature of your request, and it is clear from your dress you are strangers. I would ask that we wait to discuss these matters until we reach my house." He pauses. "It is quieter there, and I imagine you may be hungry after your ride."

Sahre

The thoughts of the guards all appear to your mind as dull white lights. The Captains light shines brighter, but nothing compared to the blazing torch light of Cassandra's thoughts. As you move closer in the town the number of minds you touch quickly doubles, and then triples, and then doubles again. By the time you've followed the Captain halfway through the town to his house, you sense somewhere around eight hundred minds.

Most of them are the same intensity as the guards, though a few shine brighter like the Captains. None, however, outshine Cassandra's.

Your mind doesn't tell you what they look like, however, and using your eyes you see more than a few pretty women, mostly paler skin than Renai, with blond or brown hair.

Cassandra

It's clear to your eye the people of this town are of a different stock than the peasants you first met. Where Lenay and his daughter were stocky and tanned, with dark red and black hair, these people are nearly all thinner, with paler skin and dirty blond hair. Their clothes also mark their difference. Instead of kilts and country dresses, the men wear breeches and homespun tailored shirts, while the women favor heavier dresses, ruffled and many colored.

Aecus
2009-12-14, 09:57 PM
Janastor merely nods at the captains words and stays silent. For now, he is going to let Rowan speak. When the discussion gets underway he might interject, but for now he is chastened.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-14, 10:04 PM
"Mmhmmm," Sahre said to the Captain, not quiet listening, paying more attention to the few attractive woman moving through the street, and the minds of the various people in the town. It really was a decent sized town, with a few people of intelligence. He could quite get a bead on the combined total though, Cassandra kept getting in the way.

Hey! Cassie! Sahre said, mentally sending the thoughts straight to Cassnadra, Turn those thoughts down a notch would ya? I'm tryin to mindsight here. before turning his thoughts to a more open channel, if still only continued his companions though.

Alright guys, just so far I've picked up about 800 minds, and we haven't gone through the entire thing yet so I'm estimating about... Ooooh look at that arse, nice eyes to ma- oh, sorry. Got distracted. I think we're lookin at a city in in the quadruple digits at least, could be over two thousand, but I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate that further, among other things.....

Anyway, some of the population seems halfway competent, Cass keeps getting that big brain of hers in the way so I can't be sure. No nonhumans so far either, anyone else find that a little odd?"

Anonanimal
2009-12-15, 02:25 AM
Sigfried snickered at Sahre's comment on the...assets of the populace, and thought back as loudly as he could, not quite understanding the inner workings of the binder's telepathy,

Yes, it is odd...perhaps they simply don't exist in this world? Or that castle...I can't help but feel that something evil is in there. Maybe whoever runs that place wiped them all out?

wxdruid
2009-12-15, 02:37 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra gives Sahre an amused side-long glance at his comment about her mind (and other comments...) and she'll put up the mental shutters after his little speech. She will ride through town in the middle of their group, not convinced of the local good intentions and she'd prefer a quick escape if she needed it.

dangerprawn
2009-12-15, 10:31 AM
The Captain leads you to a building near the middle of the town. The only structure in the town made of worked stone and mortar, it appears to be a scaled down version of a keep. A single tower rises only a dozen feet above the second story and the buildings next to it are low and flat, what appears to be a barracks. He motions to the hitching posts set in the ground beside the entrance. "Please, rest your mounts. My stable hands will see to them."

The entrance is high arched stone, with tall reinforced wooden doors. Carved on the door are motifs of knights fighting. Most of them show the knights in battle with armies or skirmishes, though the most prominent one shows a knight charging a dragon. Captain Lonald pushes the door and it swings open. Inside you can see a long hall with fireplaces on either side. The warmth rushes out and rolls over you, only reminding you of how numb and chill you are from your ride.

A flagpole is set in the stone next to the door. A great flag flutters in the chill breeze, white with silver embrodiery. The only figure on it is a depiction of a sword being clasped by the hilt, the wrist bent as if the sword were being thrust upward.

Inside the small keep are dozens and dozens of dull white lights, though you also discern a handful that shine as the Captain's. In the barracks adjacent there are more white lights, though they are dimmer.

No signs of that Zarus guy.

If you want to try and identify the flag, it's going to be a high DC check, but you may try. Roll either Knowledge History or Nobility & Royalty. Hmmm. It says 'ancient mysteries' are a part of Knowledge Arcana, so you can check that too, but the DC will be higher than the other too, since it's not the main Knowledge.

Aecus
2009-12-15, 10:52 AM
For a moment Janastor considered mentioning that the horses would not need any care, but then quickly abandoned the thought. They would last for a long enough time that they could arrange something in the mean time if it was absolutely necessary.

As he walked into the building, Janastor studied the various trappings. First he looked at the flag, and then he studied the murals. A dragon, at least that is familiar. Perhaps it indicates again that there is magic and power in this world beyond what we are seeing now. Then again, the murals do not seem to depict any other such events or deeds. Still though, I dislike being reminded how different all the dragons in other world are from home. No dragon where I am from would face a knight's charge, or even let a knight know that it exists to be confronted.

Raising his hand as if to trace the murals Janastor decides to speak up and looks towards the captain asking conversationally. "Of what events do these murals depict? Are they a history of your guard, or great events in this nation's history?"

[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-12-15, 11:24 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra dismounts and ties up her horse. When the warmth flows outward, she's suddenly reminded how cold she is, yet she's more curious about the murals and she rubs her cold hands together. She inspects the murals with Janastor and listens carefully for the Captain's answer.

Knowledge (arcana) - [roll0]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 11:45 AM
Sahre was ready to move on at this point. He glanced at the murals with thinly veiled disinterest, Rowen might have a point on the whole Zarus angle though, even if they weren’t' affiliated with him directly, some strong racism could explain why they had responded so fiercely to the mention of the Merlin. Perhaps it wasn't a man, and this no allies of there’s, nay and enemies. Xenophobist tendencies could also explain why they hated them so.

The bottom line was simple. They needed information, and he had an idea on how to get it.

Reaching out with his mind, passed stone and mortar, Sahre grasped on of the random lights, on of the dimmer ones to be sure. And began to send out a slow message.

Great Grandchild… He said, changing the inflection of his thoughts to a weak, elderly tone, Grandchild? Can you hear me?

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 11:49 AM
OOC: Almost forgot the Bluff Roll: [roll0]

dangerprawn
2009-12-15, 12:13 PM
Captain Lonald glances at the doors for a moment before walking inside. The hall is laid with flagged stones and the walls hold heraldic shields and swords with various crests. At the other end the hall opens up into a small foyer, with tables and sofas, a few people dressed like servants walking about. Narrow passages lead away from the entrance before the hall to other parts of the keep.

The Captain stops in front of the fires and holds his hands out, rubbing them. "The carvings on the door are a simple reminder of our past, of how we defeated the sea raiders that had infested this land and claimed it as our own." He turns towards one of the shields on the wall, this one hanging above the fireplace. It is larger than the rest of them, a huge tower shield enameled a dark green. On the front is a symbolic drawing of a dragon, wings out spread. "The dragon the knight is facing was the Great Wyvern Ddraig Goch. The knight, of course, is our king."

Sahre

The mind you touch pauses for a moment and you can sense hesitation in it's thoughts. Gran...Grandfather? Is that you?

So far no one's beat the DC. 30 for H & R/N, 35 for Arcana. Kinda tough, but it is the heraldry for a world almost no one has ever heard of.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 12:24 PM
Sahre smiled at the response, he wasn't quite hook line and sinker, but it was enough. He needed to wriggle as much information as possible, but subtlety was the name of the game. He would have to be careful, lest he panic, or become suspicious. Sahre didn’t know how common telepathy was here, but even if he raised an alarm, they couldn’t prove they’d done it. Of course they might not need to, and just attack them on general principle.

Well, if he wasn’t careful at least.

Everything… Is so blurry. Your mother… father… Are they.. Happy? Has the realm.. Thrived? he sent, Conflict.. Over?

dangerprawn
2009-12-15, 12:51 PM
The mind seems troubled. Mother? I...they fell with you. When the woads attacked, they hid me. I...I found you with them. They had...done things to you, grandfather. The mind seems to falter for a moment. I'm sorry I couldn't save you...I was too young.

wxdruid
2009-12-15, 04:58 PM
Cassandra

After a moment's study, Cassandra follows the rest inside, still wary, but appreciative of the warmth. She follows to the back room and looks at the shields, Your King? And he defeated the dragon? Sounds like an interesting adventure. She's trying to encourage him to tell the story without outright asking him.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 05:08 PM
Sahre continued to pull the other mind along, resolving top be more careful about the mention of family. He had to be more vague, yet still be able to fish for the information he wanted. He need to cut it short soon, it was only a matter of time before his good sense got the best of him and the shock wore off...

Strangers coming... They will..... Help against the Woad... Help them... Can't.... Hard to.... Proud.....Love you.... Sorry

The deed done, Sahre broke of contact and turned back to the group wearing a content half smile.

"Yes," Sahre said agreeably, "Defeating a Dragons singlehandedly? That's quiet a feat, trust me on that."

Anonanimal
2009-12-15, 06:55 PM
Sigfried smirked at Sahre, and bragged with a playful tone to his voice.

"Dragons? Try defeating a Devil Lord."

He raised his left gauntlet and pointed to a depiction of him locked in combat with a horned being lashing out with chains.

"The Dragons were but servants of this one."

NotANinja
2009-12-15, 07:24 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan strolled through the keep. The chill was forgotten as she glanced at the various ornaments, fascinated with the various coat of arms and murals. It was as well-kept as any church-fort she had sought shelter at, and she felt a sense of familiarity despite the foreign place. She listened intently to all the captain had to tell.

“Your history sounds a rich array of valour,” she agreed amiably, as though only to encourage him further. Then the afterthought reluctantly came, “But, it should be told another time. Better to correct problems of the present than linger on glories of the past.” Her shoulders slummed a little at her own insistence.

“Sir, I assume it is safe to speak, so know our priority is to healing a fractured mind. A man we encountered was overwhelmed by a certain display, and he now seems unacquainted with his own senses. He only blankly babbles to himself. That is why we seek the Merlin, and hope someone could say how we might find him. We need magic to mend the wound.” She considered the keep, and how much it reminded her of her church. Her eyes brightened hopefully.

“But, have you anyone capable of such magical feats, I would sooner hire their talents instead.”

dangerprawn
2009-12-15, 08:28 PM
Captain Lonald smiles, though it doesn't touch his eyes. "Yes. Our King has had many adventures. Perhaps later one of our tale-tellers may share them with you."

The mind reaches out to you. Grandfather! Don't go! I have ques- the thoughts are cut off as you leave her to herself.

The Captain raises an eyebrow at Rowan. He walks into the small foyer and motions at the high-backed chairs and sofa near the blazing hearth. "Please, sit, rest." He nods his head to a servant who leaves through a side door. The smells of cooking waft through. Lonald walks over and stands next to the hearth, above which a heavy steel shield. The crest on the shield resembles three fiery suns, interlocked and forming a triangle. "I am curious about a number of things of which you have said, and no doubt have answers that you seek." He pauses a moment, glancing up at the shield. "Though I may house you and feed you, I must delay my answers until my own questions are answered, for the safety of my people. Perhaps we should begin with who you are and where you come from."

He turns to face you all. "For myself, I am Sir Lonald, a Knight of the Order of Gawain and vassal of King Arthur, Lord of Britain."

Aecus
2009-12-15, 08:59 PM
Perhaps I should be honest. In the circumstances, any lie I could tell would be broken by a few words out of my companion's mouths. I might as well endear myself to them, and perhaps the truth might even work. If not; well I doubt that we would have much trouble getting away. Janastor ponders to himself before interjecting. While he was chastened for a time, he hated not having a say in what was going on, and wanted to bring himself back into the conversation.

Raising his head and turning towards the knight Janastor began to speak eloquently. "I am called Mere'el, Janastor Mere'el. I, along with my companions, are an elite force that was called together in order to deal with a threat to the city we called home. The city is named Sigil, though I would be surprised and delighted if you have heard of it. We each hail from different lands, and have vastly different talents that would enable us to help deal with such threats. However we were ill prepared for what we faced. We knew that the individual we were facing was a powerful arcanist, but we could not prepare for the full extent of his abilities. As a result, we were captured in one of his traps. The last thing we remember is waking up in this land earlier in the afternoon. I know the idea might seem strange, and believe me it is astonishing to myself as well that this happened, but that is why and how we came to be here."

"What else would you like to know?" Janastor finishes with a query.

Anonanimal
2009-12-15, 11:37 PM
Sigfried steps forward and reveals the armor under his cloak with a flourish.

"I am Sigfried Alvine. Although I am somewhat less important in Sigil, the city my comrade mentioned, I have quite a reputation in my homeworld. The designs you see on my armor detail the Alvine Saga. In my world, the Gods and the Devils were both imprisoned, and the world fell to the most corrupt of mankind. I sold my soul to the Devils for otherworldly power, and used it to amass an army and overthrow the corrupt government. The Devils then used me as a gate into my world and attempted to destroy the new world I had fought my entire life to create, so I banded together with other heroes of my world and released the Gods from their prison. I helped my people defeat evil itself, and won my soul back from the Devil Raaksaka. The God of Travelers rewarded my service by showing me the way to Sigil, which is a city of doors. From Sigil, one can travel to many worlds, and to many worlds I went--until I came together with this fine group of heroes, and was banished here by the same dark magus. I have dedicated my life to wiping out evil wherever it may be, and though I may not have been sent here intentionally, I promise not to leave until I have brought this dark place into the light."

NotANinja
2009-12-16, 08:41 AM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan followed the knight. Despite being right besides a chair, she remained standing, and smiled happily at Janastor when he spoke plainly. But when the warlock spoke, a touch of pride bloomed in her, seeing how eagerly Sigfried embraced honesty, though it were only one small portion of the code.

“Apologies for being presumptuous, Sir Lonald, but I find it trying to halt myself. As the ninth analect states, 'Do not delay when good deeds are to be done'.”

She let her halberd stand at her side, herself straight-backed. “My name is Rowan Heavenstrike. I was dubbed a Lady by the Church of Heironeous, the god of valor.”

The analect idea is from Complete Divine, page 112. only 1 of them is mentioned in the Heironeous part, so I might throw in a few here and there.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-16, 12:25 PM
Where they already at the dramatic introductions? Sahre glanced around as his allies explained there glory in turn, until it came to him. He smiled modestly, doing his best to fade behind the more... Shiny members. History, fame? It was for others. All he wanted a pretty company, good food, and a warm tavern. You see, heroes had an unfortunate tendency to die young....

He and he was rather fond of life.

"I'm just a minor conjurer," Sahre said easily, "From a land you've ever heard of. Hire my talents out sometimes, and found myself swept up in this mess.

wxdruid
2009-12-17, 12:31 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra listens and smiles a bit at her companions introduction of themselves, she's a bit quieter.

She offers one hand to him in greeting. Thank you for inviting us in Captain. I'm Cassandra, my specialty is wizardry. I come from the same place as the others. I'm pleased to meet you.

She's still a bit wary, but she'll observe all the curtesies and smile pleasantly at him.

dangerprawn
2009-12-17, 03:32 PM
The Captain listens to you all, bowing slightly towards Rowan. "Unfortunately Janastor, strange happenings are more frequent than I would like." He walks over to one of the chairs and stands next to it, laying an arm across the high back. "Supposing that what you say is true, and judging from your strange garments and mannerisms I find I must accept it, it appears that you are no more allies of Merlin than I myself."

He pauses as the servant returns from the side door bearing a tray laden with meats, cheeses, breads and steaming mugs. He places the tray on the low table in front of the fire and hands out the mugs, first to Rowan and Cassandra, then the Captain, and finally to Janastor, Sigfried, and Sahre. He bows to the Captain and then walks back over to the side door.

"The drink is a spiced cider, something the cooks make to keep us warm." Captain Lonald says, taking a sip from his mug. "There is still a question that remains unanswered. If you are strangers to this land, why do you seek Merlin for assistance? Who told you to do so?"

NotANinja
2009-12-17, 04:23 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan thanked the servant as she accepted the mug. She relaxed her stance, weapon pointed down and away from anyone, once introductions had passed. Guessing that they had all rained too many details, too quickly, down on the knight, her mind easily excused him missing her explanation.

“Merlin is sought for his healing talent. A man was injured earlier by our passing. It was a mental wound, caused by a negligent display. We were told of the Merlin then by the man's daughter. Her name was Renai.”

Rowan shuffled the mug to her right hand, making the halberd rest against her, pointed end on the floor. She showed her now free left palm. Despite Sahre's healing, the cut had scarred. “Sigfried and I swore to make amends.”

It hasn't occurred to Rowan at all that Merlin might be there way back.

wxdruid
2009-12-17, 06:25 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra accepts the mug with a smile and a Thank you.

When the Captain asks about who told them about Merlin and Rowan mentions the name she wonders if the Captain is going to find Renai in order to take her captive and inquire about her connections to Merlin and where he is (considering their reactions at the Town gates). They just don't know enough about the politics of this world and when the Captain isn't looking she tries to let Rowan know with gestures that perhaps they shouldn't say 'everything' they know, no matter how much they know or don't know.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-17, 09:44 PM
Sahre nodded as the Captain spoke, who was this Merlin? Was it a title perhaps? And what made them fear and hate him so? Questions questions. He only hoped the seed he planted earlier would show up soon enough. That could be a gold mine of information, honest information that wouldn't leave him second guessing this mans motives, or the food before him.

It may have limited his other options, but Buers protection from poisons was the only reason he was able to take the cider and drink it in good faith. The everyone here was an unknown, and the vestiges disturbance still had not fully left his thoughts.

"Who is this Merlin ?" Sahre asked, taking a long drink before setting it down again, "Is he some kind of monster or a man? And why do we," he let the we stand there for a moment, implying much in a single word, "Hate him so?"

Aecus
2009-12-17, 09:49 PM
Janastor accepted a glass with a nod of thanks. He remained silent for the current round of questions, for his companions had already answered the Captain's question, and had asked what he would at the present time. Of course he had hundreds of questions running through his mind, but none that he felt would fit well into the flow of the conversation.

Sometimes mastery of a situation is in knowing when not to speak, in addition to knowing what to speak.

dangerprawn
2009-12-18, 10:47 AM
Captain Lonald frowns and looks down at the scar on Rowan's hand. "I think I'm beginning to understand." He pauses a moment. "Judging from the name of the woman I can presume she is a simple villager. Probably lives in a small thorp with little more than her family, out in the country." Without waiting for an answer he continues. "The native people of this land are different than us; they have their own sense of honor and justice. And allegiances."

He takes another sip from his mug. "Merlin is a powerful mage. He was once allied with our King, but now fights him. He lives in the great forest with his Woads, and they attack and threaten our people." He smiles, though it appears to be sad. "I fear you have been tricked. Had you sought Merlin out, he probably would have killed you, if the Woads hadn't first. She would have had her vengeance on you that way." He shakes his head. "If by some fortune he did not, and he helped you to heal this womans father, then she benefits also."

"The oath you swore will bind you. There is none that can remove it." He turns towards Sahre. "Not all enemies are hated. Though he is dangerous and cunning, Merlin was once an ally to our people. I would rather see him rejoin our King than continue this war." He stares into the fire, bright eyes lost in thought. "But not all things we desire we may have. I am sworn by duty to my liege, and must fight."

wxdruid Captain Lonald is a handsome man. Rugged but with an air of grace and nobility.

Anonanimal
2009-12-18, 11:27 AM
Sigfried paused thoughtfully before speaking up again.

"As you said, Captain, you must fight. We are not so bound. Whatever the lady's intentions were, this could be fortuitous. We need the Merlin's healing, and his re-allegiance with your king could restore peace to this land. If we could convince this Merlin to do so, our wants and yours would both be satisfied."

NotANinja
2009-12-20, 07:35 AM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan gave Cassandra a confused look when noticing the non-verbal signs, but otherwise paid attention to their host. She grew gravely quiet, and her eyes smouldering, though her anger found itself tempered by the weighty concerns of the other knight.

“It is...upsetting...to hear of Renai's treachery. Still, success means putting a family at ease. I would persist even without this scar. As ever, duty is a burden for me, and yet a source of strength.” Rowan half-smiled. “I assume it the same for you. Sir, if it isn't too painful, please speak on. Detailing why Merlin left might aid our quest, and your hopes. So too would how to find him.” She drank the spiced cider, finding it made a pleasantly warming sensation.

Aecus
2009-12-20, 09:42 AM
"If I may ask, what is Merlin's cause for fighting against the king? No man acts without reason lest he is under the curse of insanity, and if you believe it would be better for him to be allied with the king again I doubt that is so. If we could understand that, perhaps we could find some way to convince him to resolve this peacefully." Janastor asks, interjecting himself back into the proceedings.

wxdruid
2009-12-21, 04:10 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra finds a comfortable chair and nurses her cider as she listens and ponders the current conversation. It seems like Rowan might have understood her gesture.

dangerprawn
2009-12-21, 01:12 PM
The captain turns towards you all with a great sadness in his eyes. "The story of my liege and Merlin..." He pauses. "I suppose it is better you hear it from me, than guess from any wild rumors you may chance upon."

He drains the last of his mug and sets it back down on the tray. "A long time ago, Merlin served King Arthur, as he had served Arthurs father before him, Uther Pendragon. Armed with the Knights and Merlin, our King fought against the wild creatures and invading armies that threatened our land. They slew the cat-giants and evil witches. He hunted and slew the Twrch Trwyth, the monstrous boar of legend. He faced the Great Wyvern Ddraig Goch and slew him in single combat. He drove the Saxon sea raiders from our shores. He brought hope, and courage, and honor to our people in their time of darkness."

He pauses, eyes seeing past you, focused on something only he sees. "With our lands secured, some wanted to press north, past the safety of the wall. Others warned against foolishly seeking glory when what we had was just."

"Arthur listened to those that wanted more. He brought our people north, leaving the wall far behind us. He sought to establish his own Kingdom that stretched all along the land, from coast to coast. The Knights followed, of course, and Merlin came along, though he had voiced some of the strongest opposition. At first it was like before. New strange creatures to hunt and slay, and new peoples, such as the fey Woads that live among the trees. They did not welcome us, nor did the native peoples, those highlanders you met earlier."

"When the sea raiders returned we weren't prepared for them. They sacked the Kings seat at Edinburgh, north of here, and we fought for many years before finally driving them off. If they hadn't come...who knows..." His voice trails off. "The King moved his keep far inland and built a mighty fortress, instead of rebuilding his old. Some say he began to know fear then, and that is why he choose to rebuild far away from the sea."

"Those years against the Saxons drove our King. We did not have the resources to fight them off ourselves, so we were forced to enlist the aid of the highlanders." He pauses. "They were....not so eager to fight for us."

"By the time the King had put the last raider to the sword, the native people hated us, and sought a peace between themselves and the fey, to band together to drive us out. The King sent Merlin to speak with them, to seek a peace. Yet while Merlin was away, he readied his Knights, his troops, and followed after him." Captain Lonald's face twists in anger. "He sent a peace envoy all the while planning to murder and destroy the Woads, having tricked them into thinking he was seeking peace! When Merlin emerged from the forest with Woad leaders, Arthur was ready and charged down on the fey."

Captain Lonald turns towards the fire and stares into it. His eyes begin to glisten. "I...I was there in that charge. The woads had no warning, no way to defend themselves. It was a slaughter, not a battle on the field of honor." He turns again to you all. "When Merlin saw what was happening, he tried to reason with our King, but Arthur had the blood lust upon him and could hear nothing but the screams of his enemy. Merlin fought against him, using his magics only to impare and delay the King and us Knights while some of the Woad escaped. The King was furious and banished Merlin, declaring him an enemy of the crown. Merlin faded back into the woods with the Woads."

"Since that day years ago, it seems as if the world has gotten colder. Some of tried to go back south, to go through the wall and return to our own land. One person came back, after a time." He shakes his head and shivers in the warm room. "He...he didn't live long after we found him. Nothing he said made sense. Died in a few hours."

"Merlin lives now with the Woads, though he has been seen but rarely. They attack our towns and people, using their skirmish tactics to out maneuver our infantry." He pauses. "I..I do not know how much longer this war can go on. If the sea raiders return while we still fight them...." He says, eyes looking lost.

Aecus
2009-12-21, 01:35 PM
Sipping his drink, Janastor listens to the reply and digests the information. Thinking for a moment he then replies. "I mean no offense captain, but with what you have said of the situation I do not think the key to the solution lies with Merlin. If it is as you said, Merlin is simply a man trying to do what he sees right. No manner of convincing on any of our part will be able to shift his path. Even a threat such as raiders might not be able to move him, for in his position they may seem as a just punishment for offense."

Keeping his voice calm and his manner unassuming and unthreatening Janastor continues. "On the other hand if an admission of fault from the other party in this affair could be obtained, perhaps Merlin could be brought to see the benefit in rejoining and protecting all the people. However this would of course require the king to admit fault, and based on what I know of kings this may not be feasible. Thus I have another question, do you think it possible that the king could be convinced to admit fault and give redress for Merlin's grievances? For if such cannot be obtained, I doubt Merlin could be convinced to rejoin the king's side."

Swirling the liquid in his cup Janastor finished. "I do not mean to speak against your liege lord like this, but even the greatest of men make mistakes, and that is what makes them men. A king by nature must be a hard and decisive man, able to make difficult decisions, but often the most difficult decision is one that is right, but that requires an implication of fault. I think you must agree in part with this idea, or you would not speak of the battle so. Consider also that it is not a breach of oath to ward one's liege off a course that may be dangerous, but rather the most necessary and important function of one's oath: to see and protect what one's master cannot."

Anonanimal
2009-12-21, 03:05 PM
Sigfried listens intently to Lonald's story and is clearly moved by it. He removes his mask and takes a step toward the captain.

"We all must do things we regret, but I am with Janastor. The problem seems to lie with your king, not your wizard. In a sense, he requires more healing than the man I swore an oath to fix."

He turns to Rowan, and speaks directly to her.

"Rowan, if we are to save one, we must save another first--from himself. Once we have finished this quest, our first will be accomplished in short order."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-21, 03:18 PM
Sahre remained silent during the exchange, eyes closed as he listened to the captain tell his tale. He didn't trust him, thats for sure. Why? He couldn't say. Something about this made him feel uneasy, he had never been drawn to this concepts of honor and obligation, they where alien to him, admittedly. Maybe that was the reason he still expected on of his companions to fall over from poison. Maybe that was why his heyes darted to the corners of the room, waiting for a trap to spring.

Something was off here. Either his mind was playing him false or making a fool of the other senses. Either way. he wanted out, and he wanted out fast. It was almost funny how quickly everyone had lost sight of their main goal. His most important goal.

Getting the hell out of here.

"Regardless of the path we choose," Sahre said picking his words carefully, "We must meet your king. He is as much the linchpin here as Merlin, and we still need to find a way home once this matter has been righted. Perhaps he could help us with that too. Are there any wizards or sorcerers about with skill enough to walk the planes?"

NotANinja
2009-12-23, 10:06 AM
Rowan lingered in silence longer than the others, considering the hydra-like issue, of how the others seemed to simplify it all. She titled the cup in her hand a little right and left in thought. A little nod was offered when Sigfried addressed her, for their issue was linked, as it would be difficult to locate a man that disappeared seemingly because of the betrayal now spoken of.

“That couldn't have been easy to relate, sir, let alone when admitting fault.” She said softly. “Thank you for being forward. I can appreciate this complex matter, but if you would forgive a stranger speaking on it, you should consider that valour can yet redeem it. I feel this matter needs a knight to lead a charge.” She looked purposefully to him then, a hopeful glint in her eyes.

“Sir, it should be clear of what opinion my allies have, but we are outsiders with little right to invite ourselves to a king's castle. But you know well of the sins committed that day. So, too, must you know other knights that think the same. Can you not gather them? You are clearly a loyal man, but I believe that is why, were you to speak out, that it might show just how damning that day was. Your king would likely listen to his trusted knights.”

Rowan raised her empty left hand up slowly, as though to halt interjection, or ward of a weak attack. “Please, before you deem me soft-witted enough to haphazardly suggest turning your people against one another, least of all at a strenuous time, consider my allies and I. If it is a matter of taking a fellow knight from a trouble spot, so that you both might speak with one voice to the king, we can hold the line in his stead. Should an entourage be necessary to locate Merlin for meeting the king, we can quietly do so, and see what opinion they have on the matter. We can be the trump card that allows the freedom to address the issue. It may be the only option to an even more dire alternative.”

Long story short, Rowan wants him to take an active role in the issue. But also to trust that all of them could be useful in allowing the issue to be addressed.

Diplomacy: [roll]1d20+18

dangerprawn
2009-12-27, 05:27 PM
The Captain's eyes gaze into the fire as you all speak. He turns and regards the group. "Though much of what you say would shock many that heard it...a truth is undeniable, beyond reproof or recrimination." Looking at Janastor, he says, "There are indeed higher understandings of honor and duty, and the ones of which you speak are familiar to my heart. However...those can only be met once the more basic, common or stable forms are achieved. I...cannot leave my duty here to another." He pauses, turns towards Sahre.

"There is the Kings court of magicians...though none have the power and skill of Merlin, they are able to call forth strange creatures and weave mysterious magics. Most of them live north, in Edinburgh...while a few remain with the King at his castle."

"Lady Rowan." He says, turning to the knight. "If you and your fellows would be the key to changing our fate...I would not be unhappy. Unfortunately present circumstance prevent me from leaving with you." He stops and tilts his head to the side for a moment, then smiles. "However; I may provide you with a badge of safe conduct for travel through our realm. The emblem will grant you entry to our cities, though no diplomatic protection is involved. Still, it should prevent displays such as what happened at the gate this afternoon."

He glances at the servant standing by the entrance and raises an eyebrow. The servant bows and leaves down the hallway. "Furthermore, I will write a letter of introduction for you. It will allow you to seek an audience with the King." He stops and stares a moment at all of you. "All of this is contingent, of course, that you observe and obey our laws and do no evil in our land."

He continues. "If you are agreeable, then I will write the letters this evening. In the morning you may go as wish, either to seek Merlin, or the Kings magicians, or an audience with the King himself."

"I will not ask you to swear an oath to follow our laws; it is not necessary." He shrugs. "Should you break them, or cause great evil, it will be apparent to the people, and the badge and letters will be worthless. I feel I do not need to make any base threats or intimidations; I'm certain you are aware of the common consequences of breaking the law."

Aecus
2009-12-27, 05:59 PM
"Thank you. I think I may speak for all of us when I say we will gladly accept your aid. Personally I add that I understand your situation, and that I am very grateful for how much you have aided us thus far; certainly many would not have reacted as kindly and as thoughtfully as you have to our presence." Janastor says as he inclines his head slightly in thanks.

"Though I do have one last question, do you believe there are any outstanding laws to this land that we may need to know about? It should be easy enough for all of us to follow the laws common to any civilized land, but in my lifetime I have known there to be places where there are laws that do not necessarily follow from acting civilized. For example, in one land I have heard about it is illegal to even look at a noble if one is not part of the peerage." Janastor asks in a calm and powerful voice before draining the last of his glass.

wxdruid
2009-12-27, 07:32 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra nods in agreement, Yes, Thank you for all of your help. We greatly appreciate it. She finishes off her drink and sets the glass to one side.

NotANinja
2009-12-27, 08:34 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan looked pleased on mention of the emblem. That pleasure shot into shock when he mentioned writing a letter of introduction, having not expected that high a level of trust, so soon. The captain must have gleaned the greatness in her allies. Unsure of how to immediately respond, she relaxed when Janastor spoke articulately on the group's behalf.

“Sir, truly, thank you. I will respect your laws with the mind and vigour of a paladin. Though – I've one other request.” She looked guilty. “I would take some of your time tomorrow morning, and share a blessing of Heironeous. It needs space for a large table. If that can be afforded, I can have a meal bountiful of benefits formed, with room for seven besides my companions. Would you be willing to join us with five...six others?” Rowan flinched on remembering they now had an extra seat.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-27, 09:24 PM
Sahre leaned back and closed his eyes, taking in all the information. Going to the king was the best bet, he mused. He was the source of of it all. He needed to be willing before anything else was accomplished. He was the linchpin. And that emblem would be quiet useful as well. Sahre made a mental note to see if he could get someone to forge a few of the things. Could be useful later.

'Specially sense he bet that one was enchanted somehow. He thought as that age old paranoia kicked in.

He smiled slightly.

And with his luck it was something nasty.

dangerprawn
2009-12-29, 11:51 PM
The Captain nods his head. "Yes, we may gather to break our fast with you. There are others here that you may be interested in speaking with." He turns towards Janastor. "What you ask is a more difficult thing to explain than it may seem...for something you consider to be uncommon may be something expected for me." He pauses a moment. "All the King's Knights swear an oath. If you follow it and abide by it, I'm certain you will have no problem with legal concerns. I don't expect you to swear to it, but merely listen."

He stands up straight and turns toward the shield with the three sun crest on the mantle. "I swear to never do outrage nor murder. To always flee treason. To never be cruel but to give mercy to him who asks for mercy. To always aid ladies, gentlewomen and widows when they have need. To never force ladies, gentlewomen or widows. To not take up causes in wrongful battles for love or worldly goods."

He stares at the shield for a moment longer, then relaxes and turns back to you. "I can provide you with lodging for the night in this keep. There are two spare rooms upstairs, and if there is anything else you require please do no hesitate to ask."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-30, 12:14 AM
Sahre made an elaborate bow as he stood up. He had no interest in staying stuck here all night, and still wanted to see things from another side. He was curious what others said about this whole mess, instead of one captain. People in power had a tendency to use others to their advantage, and while time would tell if the man was honest or not...

Well better to err on the side of caution.

Plus there where all those beautiful woman out there, just waiting for a certain adventurer to sweep them off their feet. And he wanted to see if whoever head had spoken with mentally earlier would show.

Many things to do, and he didn't want to do any of them under this mans scrutiny.

"You'll have to excuse me for being old fashioned," Sahre said with an easy smile, "But I must insist the ladies take the your two rooms. I'm sure I can find lodgings in town, and see no reason to trouble you further."

Anonanimal
2009-12-30, 03:42 PM
"I must agree with Sahre. I will gladly follow the oath you dictated, Captain, and indeed do already. If part of that oath is to aid gentlewomen and ladies, then I simply can't take one of the two rooms."

He grinned, pleased with his own wit.

"So, friend, shall we get looking?"

Aecus
2009-12-30, 04:26 PM
"Thank you Captain. I do not believe that I shall have any problems following that oath." Janastor says as he stands up. Listening to his companions comments about the rooms, Janastor smiles.

"My friends, if we wish to allow the ladies to have the two rooms to themselves there is no need for us to search for more. I have the ability to make us two more extra rooms, that would be more than spacious. Surely that is a better option than imposing on our host's or the town's hospitality even more." He says with a smirking glance at the two.

wxdruid
2009-12-30, 06:31 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra rolls her eyes as she waits for the 'men' to sort things out. They always think they're so clever...

She stands and nods respectfully to the Captain, Certainly I see no problem with following the words and intent of your oath. She smiles a little at him.

NotANinja
2009-12-30, 06:53 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan glanced at her brothers in battle, not certain why Sahre had shown himself so humble and gallant suddenly. She wondered quietly if his guilt over injuring the village man had led the binder to silently take on the vow Sigfried and herself had. The thought made a smile tug at her lips.

“Almost poetic,” The knight agreed with Cassandra. “Um; not to deem your vows flippant, sir. Merely handsome.”

Anonanimal
2009-12-30, 07:08 PM
"A thousand thank yous, Janastor."

The black-cloaked man gave an exaggerated, foppish bow, bending so far downward the tips of his outstretched fingers tapped the floor.

"May the blessings of my world's freed Gods shine upon you. Long live Janastor, man among men, great creator of lodgings, master of all with four walls, pharaoh of flooring, sultan of ceilings!""

NotANinja
2010-01-01, 03:16 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan cracked the slightest smile at Sigfried's antics, but otherwise tried to retain a diplomatic face. She looked at Captain Lonald with interest.

“If you haven't any other questions or concerns, might we take leave? I have a matter I wish to attend to outside of your town. The sun burns yet, and with all that can be accomplished today already done, I'd like to spend some time back at the village we passed.”

Rowan regarded Janastor, “How much time do those steeds of ours have left? I want to return before dawn; preferably not the one a week from now.”

dangerprawn: Not trying to be a pain/slow down the game. I'm just thinking that if nothing else can be done here, I may as well return to the village, and try doing whatever work Renai's father might have done. Or helping someone else do it. Just pitching in to not make the lose of her father be a bigger burden than it already is and help show we're sorry.

I don't mind us rushing past this day, if this errand would be too diverting.

Aecus
2010-01-01, 03:55 PM
"They should have a bit more than ten hours left Rowan. Would you like any of our assistance with your task? Particularly, if you think that it might take more time than that I could go with you. It is better if we do not all go off on our own." Janastor replies to Rowan, in a calm tone.

"That is if the captain is alright with our business being done for now. I must thank you again for your great hospitality and kindness to us as strangers." Janastor looks back towards the captain and compliments him.

NotANinja
2010-01-01, 04:34 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan looked a little surprised at Janastor, “Ten hours? That...should be enough. Really, there's no telling how much, or little, might need to be done. But I wouldn't mind company.”

dangerprawn
2010-01-01, 07:36 PM
"There are beds in the common house that are reserved for travelers." The Captain says, glancing at Sahre. "It's a large building, further down the street. They will serve you dinner there as well, if you so choose."

He turns towards Rowan as the servant comes back into the room with a small jewelry box in his hands. "My lord." He says, bowing and handing the box to the Captain. Lonald nods his head and opens the box. Inside are a number of brooches of aged silver, forged in the shape of an upthrust sword, the same design as on the flag that hung outside the keep. "Wear these, and they should gain you access to our cities." He pauses and frowns at Rowan. "Certainly, Lady, do as you will...but the nearest settlement of highlanders is Midlothian, a weeks journey. I do not see how you can be there and back, and also put in a days work, and return before the morrow."

Aecus
2010-01-01, 08:19 PM
"To be truthful captain, one of my spells allows me to create a mystical mount. These mounts are the fastest creatures to ever walk the land, and they can sail over any sort of terrain, including water, as if it were a well paved street. In the last town we were at, we were told that it would take ten days to travel here, but it only took us an hour. This is the first day we have been in this land." Janastor says looking a bit reuful.

"I am sorry I did not mention this before when your stable hands took our mounts, but we had already seen the fear that magic might produce in the people of this land and did not want to unduly frighten anyone. However as you said there the king has a court of magicians. I am sure that some of them are able to do spells such as this, and that you have seen or heard of far greater affairs than this."

DrakeRaids
2010-01-01, 09:26 PM
Annnnnnd time to get gone. He would look into those common lodgings later, for now he wanted to find out some more about this place. Of course, heading back to the peasant village could offer some advantages of there own. Opening a link to Janastor and Rowen he sent a short message and left it open for a response.

Listen, he sent, see what you can find out about this Merlin, and the King while you're in the village. I want to know more about these Woads to, they sound like elves, but I want to be sure. I'll see what else I can uncover here.

"Well," Sahre said stretching, "This has certainly been informative, but if you'll offer me your leave I think I'll go seek out that meal in common house you spoke of. G'luck int he village guys. Try not to get captured by bandits or some other nasties."

wxdruid
2010-01-02, 07:38 PM
Cassandra

After all of this, Cassandra wonders how the residents of this world will view them. So far, it has been rather interesting.

She walks over to the Captain, Thank you Captain, I'm sure these will be very helpful to us. She'll accept one of the brooches and fasten it to her outfit. I will accept your hospitality and remain here for the evening, after all the adventures of the day I need to rest and recoup. After fight and the sudden jolt of coming here and the adventures since then, she needs some peace and quiet to absorb it all.

dangerprawn
2010-01-03, 09:05 PM
Lonald bows to Cassandra. "Of course, my lady." He nods to the servant standing by the entrance and the man walks up and bows to you. "Jeral will escort you to the chambers that have been prepared for you."

He turns towards Janastor. "In one hour, truly?" He frowns and shakes his head. "I have heard of our most powerful mages conjuring mystical horses to carry them in their travels, but never of any so fast."

He nods towards Sahre. "As you will, master Sahre. But a word of warning; not all of our people may be so understanding of your situation." He pauses a moment. "To put it delicately, I think your chances of a peaceful reception would be greatly increased if you were careful of who you discussed your purpose with."

dangerprawn
2010-01-06, 02:23 PM
The front door slams open and a soldier comes running down the hall, skids to a stop in the room. He catches himself on the back of a chair, panting. "Captain Lonald, sir! The mists are back!"

The Captain grimaces and nods to the soldier. "Thank you, Kyle. Alert the guard." He turns towards Rowan. "I'm afraid your travel plans may be interrupted, Lady. The woads travel in the fog. I'm needed at the gate." As soon as he finishes speaking, distant screams fill the air. He stares at the open door for a moment before turning to the solider. "Everyone to the wall! Now!" He shouts.

Aecus
2010-01-06, 03:34 PM
"Captain, please if you will allow me, I will take us closer now through teleportation. Time is of the essence. Everyone gather around, so that we may assist in defense." Janastor says as soon as the situation becomes clear. As he does so he pulls out two of the staffs from behind his back, one of which starts to glow faintly as he channels energy into it.

Whatever else, at least we shall see what the woads are, and prove ourselves to the Captain. Perhaps this will benefit us all even more.

Janastor readies a Dimension door to get as close to the wall as possible with everyone here if the captain assents, or simply with his allies if he does not.. He has a range of 880 feet.

He will try to aim the Dimension door is an area that is unlikely to be occupied, such as the side of courtyard.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-06, 04:03 PM
"Hey, maybe we could try talkin to these 'Woads,'" Sahre suggested as he walked toward the portal, "I mean, they could help us get cozy with merlin when the time comes. There may be no need to fight at all if we can get them to back off." Wholesale combat was a nessassary evil of his existance, but by the nine hells he wasn't going to leap onto a tigers back without trying all the options first.

wxdruid
2010-01-06, 05:29 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra nods to the Captain and turns to follow Jeral as the soldier runs in the room. Her expression doesn't change as she turns back to the Captain. I'm willing to help defend, where would be the best place? She moves closer to Janastor as he prepares to take them to the wall.

NotANinja
2010-01-06, 05:37 PM
Rowan moved next to Janastor, hefting the halberd into both hands easily.

“We're with you, Captain. May Heironeous be with us.”

dangerprawn
2010-01-06, 07:23 PM
Lonald pauses, half ready to run down the hall. He turns and regards you. "I'll trust in your magic." He says, standing close to Janastor.

In the blink of an eye you find yourselves outside on the main road. A heavy fog sits over everything reducing visibility beyond twenty feet. Torches burn like faint globes of light farther in the mist. The Captain glances around wildy, "How..." He starts, then shuts his mouth. Soldiers run by you and one stops when he sees the Captain. "Sir, they're coming over the -" His words are stopped as arrows fly out of the mist, one of them lodging itself in his throat. He gurgles as he tries to speak and clutches at the blood pouring out of his neck as he sinks to the ground.

Lonald turns from you all and draws his longsword. "To the wall!" He cries and charges forward.

Initiative!
Rowan [roll0]
Sigfried [roll1]
Cassandra [roll2]
Sahre [roll3]
Janastor [roll4]

Combat Order
Sahre 18
Cassandra 11
Sigfried 5
Rowan 4
Janastor 3

DrakeRaids
2010-01-06, 08:15 PM
Sahre frowned. Elves. Wood elves most likely, but that paranoia of his kicked in too, he couldn't be sure. He hadn't seen them yet. He had to correct that, information was something they sorely lacked here. so, he paused for a moment, looking for an elven mind. He glanced back at his allies for a moment as he considered what he was about to do, as well as the man dying on the ground. This may be suicide for a normal person, but, he was a Binder. Different game altogether. Time was off the essence though....

And they would argue. Tell him it was a bad idea. But they had no time and he wanted this battle over fast.

And so, with a quick smile, and naught a word, Sahre darted after his quarry, determined to see just what lay inside the mist.

Mindsight to locate enemies inside the mist. Double move to get close to the furthest one away that I can still reach. Hopefully get a better idea what the hell is going on.

dangerprawn
2010-01-07, 10:45 AM
Sahre hustles after the Captain, moving towards the loosely grouped gathering of white lights. As you near the wall suddenly new lights appear in your head, dark brown and burning almost as bright as the captains.

The mist around you has gotten heavier, reducing visibility to 15ft feet, but your sense of the intelligences around you allows you to move at full speed without risk of injuring yourself. The wall looms up before you. Men stand on the battlement, engaged in swords with the woads that have gotten up there. As you watch you see a woad apparently jump up from the other side of the wall and land on the battlement, at least eight feet high.

Lonald runs over to the ladder and climbs up, bringing his sword overhead to block the axe of a woad. The raiders are dressed in animal hides, with wild long hair and body paint all over them.

NotANinja
2010-01-07, 10:56 AM
“Cass, if you've got a fire source strong enough to break up mist, I'd advise using it. For now, the wall beckons! ”

Rowan ran into the mist, knowing only a pale white sea of wisps, trying to find the looming wall.

wxdruid
2010-01-07, 07:14 PM
Cassandra

She thinks to herself that a nice strong wind would work better and she wishes she'd learned that spell, but to late for regrets.

She pauses to cast greater invisibility on herself. No need to make herself into a bigger target.

Duration 12 rounds, remains in effect even when she attacks

Aecus
2010-01-07, 08:26 PM
Janastor

What is the source of this fog?

As he ruminates on the possible sources of the fog, Janastor waits patiently in it, content to be away from the battlefield as he considers his possible options.

Full Round action spent contemplating

[roll0]
[roll1]

dangerprawn
2010-01-08, 07:00 PM
As Cassandra dissapears from sight Rowan runs into the heavy mist. She stops near Sahre, close enough to see the wall and the close infighting going on atop the battlement. The woads have no trouble at all leaping on top the low wall, but the greater numbers of the guards prevent them from overrunning it. Guard and woad engage with sword and axe, the ringing steel crashing above the cries of the unlucky wounded.

Captain Lonald brings his sword low against his opponents knees and the woad screams, tumbling to the ground as the Captain finishes his ascent and stands on the wall. "Push them back men!" He shouts, and half the guards rush the unready woads, knocking them back over to land outside the wall.

Their respite is short lived however as their attack is answered with a flight of arrows that come out of the mist and strike at the guardsmen, felling two and wounding many.

Aecus - Keep your horse for now. Just remember next time that it's a ten minute casting time.

The mist does appear to be a spell effect. It's some kind of variation of the Fog Cloud spell, but you aren't exactly sure what the differences are. Apparently this spell covers a wider area but increases the visibility, compared to the spell you know.

wxdruid
2010-01-08, 08:42 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra moves cautiously forward and when she gets within 30ft of an enemy coming over the walls and not already in melee, she'll send a blast of fire at them, testing the strength of the enemy and finding out if it affects the fog at all.

Using the Fiery burst feat from Complete Mage pg 43. She has a 4th level fire spell still available to cast.
Damage [roll0] in a 5 ft radius burst, Reflex save DC 19 for half damage

Aecus
2010-01-08, 09:25 PM
Janastor

It is magic, and that is all I need to know.

With that thought in mind, Janastor moves forward while drawing upon his power again, in a new pattern and form, this time an anathema to magic.

Janastor casts Dispel Magic on the fog and moves 30 ft towards the battlement. If the dispel check works Janastor might have a quickened (through shadow haste) spell to cast, depending on what the battlefield looks like.

[roll0]

If this works, how wide is the section of the wall being attacked that Janastor can see?

dangerprawn
2010-01-09, 01:36 AM
One of the guards screams as an woad axe chops off his arm. The man drops his sword and grasps at the spraying stump. He stumbles and falls backwards off the walkway. Finding an open target Cassandra blasts the woad warrior with fire. The air explodes and the warrior doesn't have time to scream as he's burned to a crisp. The blackened, charred body sinks to is knees and then falls over.

With a word of power Janastor banishes the heavy mist. It is gone in an instant, and the sudden clarity and vision throws everyone off balance for a moment, but not long enough to stop the fighting.

Seeing the fight clearly now, the road is wide enough for three horses to walk abreast. The walkway above the gate and pallisade is filled with combatants, woad and guard, living and dead.

The road is 15ft wide; so is the gate. There is fighting on the walkway alongside the gate as well; So the line of battle is all on the walkway that is above the pallisade, for a distance of 35ft in a straight line, 10ft wide.

|XX
|XX
|XX
[XX============S=
[XX==R=C======J==
[XX==S===========
|XX
|XX
|XX

| Pallisade
X Walkway
[ Gate
==== Road

Left in this round:
Sigfried
Rowan
Sahre

NotANinja
2010-01-10, 01:57 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan, hitching her halberd under an armpit, made her awkward yet determined way up the ladder. When atop the battlements, she immediately advanced on the nearest woad, weapon raised proudly.

“Victory to the valorous!” came her well-worn war cry, and Rowan struck at the nearest woad with the flat of the blade. Never had she wanted to take an innocent life, even if a soldier on another side of a battlefield. Her eyes keenly observed her opponent, checking if the holy magic inherent in her weapon ate through his body painfully, knowing that a tell-tale sign of a malevolent soul. Regardless, the knight mechanically readied herself to deflect a powerful counter-attack, should her attack not proof decisive.

I really hope this won't give you a big headache, dangerprawn. :/

HP: 154/154.
AC: 20 (against most). 21 (against whoever I just attacked; using the Dodge/Elusive Target option).

1) Move action up the ladder and to an enemy woad.

2) Use the Elusive Target option to Negate Power Attack of the woad I'm against, if it's concious after I attack.

3) Attack woad as a standard action. Nonlethal damage, please. I have the feat that allows me to roll non-lethal damage without a penalty to my accuracy. Power attack away two points.

First attack. [roll0]
First damage: [roll1] Shock: [roll2] Holy (if Evil enemy): [roll3]

I have no way of detecting Evil, so I'm just rolling if the Holy damage is necessary, and observing in character to see if it works. If the woad drops unconscious, and I'm in range of another, please use the Cleaving roll, (if in doubt, also non-lethal).

In case of Cleave possibility:

Cleave attack. [roll4]
Cleave damage: [roll5] Shock: [roll6] Holy (if Evil enemy): [roll7]

DrakeRaids
2010-01-10, 08:28 PM
Sahre paused for a moment and examined the lights once more, looking for any with more promise then the others. If any light, an one, was brighter then the others, that was the one he would move to, and to this Woad he would speak. It was a simply phrase, but an unexpected one to say the least.

"Hey," he skidding to a halt before his chosen woad, "I surrender. Take me to your leader, now before this gets out of hand."

Double move to a woad, Diplomacy: [roll0]

dangerprawn
2010-01-11, 01:41 PM
Climbing swiftly up the ladder the battle on the top of the walkway was more a disorganized melee than proper fight. Rowan's halberd knocked into the head of the first woad she saw, the power of her swing bringing it about and dropping another woad. The blade crackled with electricity but did not shine with the holy light.

Scanning the lights in his mind for a brief moment, Sahre sense that none of the woads particularly stand out. Choosing instead the nearest one he walks up to pallisade and tries to reason with the woad fighting above him on the walkway. The woad looks at him in surprise but merely snarls and thrusts his axe into the belly of a guardsman.

A rushed Diplomacy check imposes a -10 penalty.

Sigfried is last to act in this round...but he hasn't posted at all this combat. Sigfried...come play! I'll give you to later today and then I'll move along.

dangerprawn
2010-01-12, 08:42 PM
A blast of eldritch energy shoots past Rowan and slams into the woad that was about to sink his axe into her back. Sigfrieds blast punches a hole through his chest big enough to put a fist through and he simply stands there a moment, eyes shaking before they roll up into his head and he falls down.

Captain Lonald gasps and tries to shout something but his words are turned into a cry of pain as more arrows fall into the melee. One plunges into his side, while another finds a crease in Rowans armor. The fog gone, the archers are easily seen standing in a half-circle twenty feet away from the gate.

The Captain breaks off the shaft of the arrow stuck in his side and brings his sword about, disarming a woad of his axe and then slicing down across the raiders chest. The woad cries out and sinks to the ground.

There's five guards and Lonald up on the walkway along with four woads. There are six archer woads out in the field past the gate.

Rowan takes 4 damage.

Actions: Party Initiative
Sigfried - done
Rowan -
Cassandra -
Sahre -
Janastor -

wxdruid
2010-01-12, 09:06 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra will move closer to the walkway to try and get where the arrows aren't falling. She'll look up for another enemy that is threatening one of her companions or the Captain and send another blast of flame at them.

Using the Fiery burst feat from Complete Mage pg 43. She has a 4th level fire spell still available to cast.
Damage [roll0] in a 5 ft radius burst, Reflex save DC 19 for half damage
2 of 12 rounds invisible
She's single minded. She ignores the cries and screams from the battlefield and concentrates on ending this conflict as quickly as she can.

Aecus
2010-01-12, 09:09 PM
"This assault stops now. You are lucky that I am restraining myself to be non lethal here." Janastor mutters darkly as he looks through the gate at the archers.

Closing his eyes for a moment, Janastor draws a deep breath before bringing his hands forth. Speaking forth with arcane power, a strange thing starts to happen. Whereas before when Janastor had cast his magic only stray wisps of blue ephemereal power had come forth, now surrounding these wisps were strands of inky black and darkness. For those listening carefully, one could even hear a shift in Janastor's tone as he speaks his words of arcane power. Prior to this casting his words had been strong, confident, as if the power he was drawing was his right to take, and nothing could stop him. But now, his tone was almost that of entreaty, of someone asking for something rather than taking something.

Raising his hands, Janastor's eyes glow black for a single instance as he summons his magic.

Swift Action: Activate Soul of Shadow (Shadow Haste) to quicken a Solid Fog centered on the archers. 20ft by 20ft. Movement Speed reduced to 5, concealment within 5 feet and full concealment past that. No missile attacks through the fog.

Standard Action: Cast a Sculpted Grease into 4 10 ft squares under the archers, under the area of the solid fog. DC 19 Reflex Save or fall prone, DC 10 balance check for 1/2 movement.

(A side note, can the archers even move while on a grease in a solid fog? Grease reduces movement speed by 1/2 even if one makes the balance check for movement and solid fog reduces it to a plain 5)

Move Action: Janastor is going to move up the ladder behind Rowan, preferably maneuvering himself in between Rowan and another ally if he can.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-12, 09:20 PM
Sahre sighed, I'm Merlin in disguise you nitwit. He said psychically, Call off the assault, now, this is important, you have no idea what your doing, you'll ruin a plan I've been working on for ages. If you can't do it, find me someone who can. NOW.

Bluff:[roll0]

dangerprawn
2010-01-13, 03:36 PM
Another blast of fire erupts on the walkway and engulfs a woad, charring his body to a black crisp. The archers are enveloped in the sudden fog and cries of surprise can be heard from within.

The woad Sahre has reached with his mind looks surprised for a moment and then yells out something in a language none understand. He steps back and is about to leap off the walkway to the ground outside the pallisade when Captain Lonalds sword catches him across the back. The woad screams as the sword cuts through his hide and slices deep into his back. He falls off the walkway and lands with a heavy thud.

The two remaining woads on the walkway glance towards their fallen ally and slowly work their way back to the edge of the walkway, swinging their axes at any who come close.

Rowan & Sigfried left in this round

NotANinja
2010-01-14, 10:12 AM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan gave a grim smile when her would-be ambusher had a hole blasted through his chest. She embraced every scream and scrap of steel, eyes and ears keen to keep every atrocity and triumph in mind, lest she ever forget why war should not be taken lightly. Her eyes soon locked on another woad. She advanced, fighting the impulse that said this wasn't a battle to be fought. There had been no innately malicious sorts to be struck down yet. Again hefting her weapon, she aimed to stomp the bottom of the hablerd's blunt handle into an enemy's sternum, a painful but non-lethal strike.

About the arrow damage:

I have DR 4/-- so the damage should be negated. Would you like me to swap the DR for something else?

It was a concious choice I made for one of my features of Anointed Knight (called Unbroken Flesh) + a feat (Greater Resiliency) to get Damage Reduction that high. I can swap them out if you prefer.

Actions and damage rolls:

AC: 20 (against most). 21 (against whoever I just attacked; using the Dodge/Elusive Target option).

1) Move action/5 foot step towards next woad.

2) Elusive Target option to Negate Power Attack of the woad I'm against.

3) Attack woad as a standard action (or Full Round Action, depending on if I only took a 5 foot step). Nonlethal damage, like last time. Power attack away two points.

First attack. [roll0]
First damage: [roll1] Shock: [roll2]

In case a Full-Round Action:

Second attack. [roll3]
Third Attack. [roll4]

Second damage: [roll5] Shock: [roll6]
Third damage: [roll7] Shock: [roll8]

In case of Cleave possibility:

Cleave attack. [roll9]
Cleave damage: [roll10] Shock: [roll11]

dangerprawn
2010-01-14, 12:55 PM
The last two woads on the walkway drop to Rowans spinning halberd. Captain Lonald nudges the unconscious body of one of the woads and turned to Rowan. "My thanks, Lady." More guards and other peasants run up to the pallisade, climb up and start moving the fallen bodies. The dead guards they lay to one side on the walkway while the corpses of the woads they throw over the side of the wall.

The four unconscious woads are bound by their hands and feet and shoved against the wall, out of the way. Two guards stand nearby with drawn swords.

Lonald glances down at the two badly burned woad corpses and then at the unnatural fog the traps the archers. "Open the gate!" He shouts, hopping down to the ground. A squad of guardsmen form around him, spears pointing out towards the fog.

OOC

Sahre - The six woads caught in the fog are still grouped close together. The four woads that Rowan knocked unconscious are still alive as well.

Ninja The DR is fine, I just forgot you had it.

Aecus
2010-01-14, 03:16 PM
"Captain! The fog will stay in place for a few minutes. The Woads will be able to move out of it sooner, but not yet. I would not enter into it, it is not dangerous but it is extremely hard to move through!" Janastor calls down to the Captain, as he looks onto his handiwork. Janastor seems to relax on the battlement, instead of moving to help further. In his own mind, he had done his part already, and his allies could easily finish the rest off on their own if they so desired.

If necessary, in game turns Janastor is delaying his action until he sees anything that would prompt needing his help.

NotANinja
2010-01-14, 03:37 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

“Welcome, Sir.” Rowan responded.

She craned her neck about, the smell of blood trying to clog her nose even with these few deceased. Such was typical when fighting in the thick of an attack. With some small consolidation, she noted all of her allies were alive, with none of them caught by a sure sword strike or stray arrow. On that thought, she paused. The arrow that nudged its way into an armour chink was plucked out. She discarded it after seeing it hadn't drawn red, despite having felt its sharp poke in her side. Her head was bowed and halberd held straight as she muttered a quick, thankful prayer to Heironeous.

“I'll help tie up the loose end,” she said to Janastor, tilting her head towards the mist-chocked enemies. She climbed down from the palisade. Silently she trusted him to keep a firm eye on he surveyed, as she followed the contingent to help with the archers.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-14, 06:01 PM
Sighting Sahre began to move among the wounded, calling on Buer to save anyone who was gravely injured first, then moving onto those who where less serious. He didn't like this. Slaughtering his buddies was hardly the best way to get on Merlins good side, and his good side they would need before this was over. The fact he hadn't raised his hand against the woads hardly helped, Merlin would hear of it.

He would hear of them....

wxdruid
2010-01-14, 08:05 PM
Cassandra

An invisible Cassandra walks to the gate. She looks out and waits for the fog to dissipate to find out what the archers will do. She holds ready another blast of fire in case they continue the attack.

dangerprawn
2010-01-15, 01:52 PM
Working among the wounded men Sahre's healing saves the lives of nearly a dozen guardsmen and two woads. The woads, brought back from the brink of death, are quickly tied up and moved to join their unconscious allies.

Captain Lonald pauses and turns towards Janastor. "Hold!" He yells, and the formation pauses, standing in the middle of the gate. He frowns for a moment and then sheathes his sword. "You men, form a circle around the fog." The formation breaks up and the men jog out to the field, placing themselves around the fog.

Lonald turns and faces the fog. "Ho the woads!" He calls out. "Your allies have been slain or captured. We have you surrounded. Lay down your arms and surrender, or face the Kings steel!"

Aecus
2010-01-18, 11:04 AM
It looks like they have this under control... but I might as well go down there in case the woads do not surrender. Janastor thinks to himself as he starts heading down from the walkway and towards the cloud. As he does so Janastor starts to gather his power internally, readying himself for the woads. He wanted this to end quickly, and they already had prisoners. If the woads were not going to cooperate and surrender as it should be obvious they need to, then that was their fault.

Janastor is going to walk near the cloud behind one of the and ready a wings of flurry if the archers attempt to attack when coming out of the fog. It should hit all of them (30ft range from Janastor), and it only targets enemies.

Just to speed things up, if they do attack.

[roll0] Reflex 22 half, and if they fail the save they are dazed for one round.

NotANinja
2010-01-18, 12:35 PM
Rowan, Lady Red Steel

Rowan joined near the formation, not raising her halberd, or assuming a defensive posture. Instead she peered into the fog and shook her head. The kingdom they helped seemed to be built on a honourable and benevolent foundation, and the few enemies she had attacked were not overly malicious soldiers. Neither side seemed innately vile. These battles were nothing her god might condone.

“The captain is an honourable man. Surrender, and I'm certain you will know no cruelty by his decree.”

AC: 20.

1) Full Round Action, Diplomacy. -10 penalty already included.

[roll0]

DrakeRaids
2010-01-18, 02:31 PM
Sahre opened his mouth, about to speak, but then closed it with a half heartened sigh. Fate had seen fit to crush all his attempts at diplomacy so far. Why bother? At least he had still managed to keep the element of surprise. None of there new allies, or enemies, knew what he was capable of yet.

dangerprawn
2010-01-19, 10:34 AM
Sahre can sense the troubled thoughts of the woads in the fog. The lights slowly gather together in a small circle, then form a line and move towards the edge of the fog.

The woads walk out of the fog, hands on their heads. They are covered in grease, the grime all over their hide clothes. Captain Lonald sighs and shouts an order to his men. "Bind them and place them with the rest!" Guards move up and tie the woads hands behind their backs and lead them to inside the palisade, setting them next to their unconscious brothers.

He turns to you all. "My thanks for your assistance. The woads are fierce warriors, and I fear the outcome had you not been here." He turns to Sahre and bows deeply. "And I thank you, sir, for the lives of my men that you saved." One of the guards raises his fist and shouts. "Three cheers for our Captain, and the Lords and Ladies." All the guardsmen and townspeople that have come out of hiding shout "Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!"

Walking back inside the palisade Captain Lonald takes a drink of water from a boy going around with a bucket. He motions for you all, then nods to the captive woads. "We have never had prisoners before. I confess I'm unsure of what to do with them."

wxdruid
2010-01-19, 10:41 AM
Cassandra

Cassandra takes a last look around the outside before turning visible and walking back inside the compound. She wonders what happened in previous attacks. Did they kill all of the woads? Did they all escape into the woods?

She ponders all of this as she walks over to look at the woads. She's interested in clothing, decorations, jewelry, weapons and what the weapons are made of. She stands just far enough away from them that they can't try to kick her.

Aecus
2010-01-19, 04:11 PM
Releasing the pent up Arcane power that he had gathered, Janastor merely shrugged and added "That is as good a path as any. I have no doubt you would in any case captain, but treat prisoners decently is the best way of getting information or simply reaching an accord. Even hatreds such as the woads must have can fall in front of face to face contact with the enemy, and the realization that the enemy is not as bad as one has been led to think."

Pausing for a second Janastor tapped his lip in thought and then asked "Excuse me though, if at all possible I wish to inspect the prisoners. One of them, or one of their items must have been the source of their fog and this might give us more information about them."

If the captain agrees to the request, Janastor will catch detect magic and sweep the prisoners. While he is doing so he will look for any woad that is dressed differently or has different equipment than the others, in order to spot an irregularity that might be a spellcaster.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-19, 11:30 PM
Sahre opened his mouth and feigned shock, "Whats all this about no torture? Roe, must you kill all the fun." Sahre grinned at his own sarcasm and continued "In all seriousness though, Siegy's better at makin people feel all warm and fuzy inside then me, and Jan's better at lying his arse off. So I say we let them see what they can squeeze out of the woads. I'll investigate the local populace while Cassie goes and does wizardy things. Roe, why don't you stick with the captain? He can give you an overview of the area, maybe touch on that big mencin' lookin castle we saw earlier."

Sahre truly wanted to be away from all the people who wanted him dead for inexplicable reasons. Woads, psycho guards, it was only a matter of time before some new crisis popped up. But int he meantime, we was curious to find what the common man knew. Well, thats not all he was curious about but thats not the point is it?

dangerprawn
2010-01-21, 06:38 PM
The woads that aren't covered in grease are dirty nonetheless. Pointed ears stick out from under their long, tangled brown hair. Their clothes appear to be made entirely of animal hides, from their shirts down to their moccasin style shoes. The axes they wielded have been stacked in a corner far away from them. On closer inspection they appear not to be made out of iron at all, but are carved and sharpened wood. The cleaved metal armor of the dead guards attests to the weapons durability and sharpness, however.

Some wear bits of string tied into their hair, with colored beads hung on them. Anklets of some rough fabric wrap around above their feet, and some have various bird feathers tied into the anklets. All of the woads have dark tattoos on some part of their body; swirling designs and whorls that creep up arms or curl around their neck.

Captain Lonald nods at Rowan. "We can hold them in a spare barracks that we have. It will be cramped, but they will have room to stand and walk about." Lonald turns to Janastor. "Please do so. We know somehow they are able to travel in the fog...for it appears without warning and then they attack from nowhere." He pauses. "I surmise that it is a magick of Merlins, but do not know how to counter it."

Examining the woads, Janastor does not notice any one particular woad that stands out moreso than the others. However, the anklet wraps they wear do radiate magic, though the hard as steel wood axes do not. The tattoos radiate a faint magical aura as well.

An old woman walks down the street, led hand in arm by a young woman dressed like a scullery maid. As they approach the soldiers notice them and edge away slightly before returning to their work, casting glances back at the pair. Captain Lonald frowns and turns to greet them. "Good afternoon, madam." He nods slightly. "Is there something I may do for you?"

The old woman smiles. You can see her eyes have milkly white splotches in them and they stare ahead without moving. "Ah, good captain...I come to congratulate you on your success this afternoon." The blind woman says. She tilts her head up a bit, as if sniffing the air. "I see you have captured a great many of the woadenbrie. I will sacrifice a dove this evening in thanks for your victory."

Captain Lonald says nothing, but nods tersely.

The old lady continues. "Marie has told me that her grandfather spoke to her today. That he carried a message from across the veil." She pauses, turning her head to cast her sightless eyes upon you all. "She said he told her that strangers were coming, and that they would help us against the woadenbrie." The young woman nodded, and then curtised to the Captain. "'Tis true, my lord. I...I heard Gran speak to me." She says, looking worried.

Sahre - The old woman's mind shines as bright as the Captains.

Janastor - Spellcraft checks DC 17 & 17 to identify the school of magic for the anklets and the tattoos, respectively. Anklets are Conjuartion and Tattoos are Transmutation, if you beat the DC, which you probably will. :smallsmile:

Aecus
2010-01-21, 07:04 PM
From beyond the grave? Interesting, either a being of great power has watched our coming... or something else is afoot. Janastor contemplates silently as he turns his investigations onto the magical anklets and tattoos of the woads. Reaching into his pack, Janastor pulls out a gold plated monocle. Placing it over his eye, Janastor winds the chain attached to the monocle behind his ear to keep it in place. Absorbed in his inspection as he is, Janastor does not comment yet on his discoveries.

I auto-pass the DC yeah.

I'm going to use an Artificier's monocle to identify the anklet, and the tattoo if it that is possible. It should be 1 minute for each.

wxdruid
2010-01-21, 07:20 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra takes note of their clothing and styles, certainly interesting. She looks up when the young woman and elderly woman approach, noting the interesting body language and the exchange. She walks over to the conversation, My I ask? How are you worried?

Aecus
2010-01-21, 07:57 PM
Standing up from his inspection, Janastor takes off his monocle, wraps it in a clean white cloth, and places it back into his pack. Walking away from the prisoners, Janastor walks over to where the commotion about the dead is occurring. Stopping to stand a slight distance beside the captain, Janastor says quietly. "I do not mean to interrupt, but when this is resolved I have some information Captain."

With that said Janastor falls silent, and watches the proceedings.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-21, 08:26 PM
Seeing the old woman and her granddaughter approach, and hearing there conversation, it was all Sahre could do not to grin openly. And now, things where turning up. And now that they'd fulfilled on side of the prophecy already, even more willing help was soon to come. Hopefully. Maybe. Assuming that they didn't figure it out. Sahre got up and approached the captain and the women.

"Hello," he said with a bow, "I couldn't help hearing part of your conversation. My name is Sahre Anlion, humbly at your service. Your story interests me, and I must ask, did your Gran tell you anything else that might be useful? Such messages are rare where I come from and ignoring the smallest detail of one can be a grave folly."

dangerprawn
2010-01-24, 01:02 PM
The Captain nods at Janastor without looking at him. Marie turns to Cassandra. "I...I've never had spirits talk to me before, Lady." She crosses herself after she speaks, and shrinks back a little to huddle up against the old woman at Sahre's approach.

"Go ahead dear." The old lady says. "Tell him what you told me." She turns and stares her blank eyes at Sahre.

Maire is silent for a moment. "He..he said that he was proud of me. Don't know why...I was just a little girl when they came." She says, pointing to the woads tied up against the pallisade.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-25, 04:07 PM
Sahre nodded sagely and glanced back at the Woads before looking over at the two woman again, if they could spread word of their "Visitation" somehow, along with the deeds they'd done at the wall the city would fall in love with them overnight, hopefully. Yes, this could come together nicely. Bribing the soldiers to help encourage their stories might help, but likely wasn't need. The girl seemed more soft spoken though, at least at the moment, it was likely she would need some.... encouragement.

"That's fascinating," Sahre said, "And slightly terrifying. Perhaps something else is going on here, past what meets the eye. Captain, may I request Marie stays close by? If she has another visitation I'd like to know as soon as possible."

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

dangerprawn
2010-01-25, 08:14 PM
Captain Lonald doesn't answer Sahre for a moment, staring instead at the old woman. He shifts his weight on his feet and sighs. "Yes, good Sahre." He glances at Marie. "Please, stay with these people a while. They have proven themselves to be good folk." Marie looks at all of you and swallows hard, then curtsies to the Captain. "Yes, my Lord."

The Captain turns to Janastor. "What did you find?"

Aecus
2010-01-25, 08:38 PM
Janastor steps forward and starts to elaborate on his findings. "Primarily, I believe that I have found out in part how they travel. Each woad wears an anklet; this anklet is a magical teleportation device. However it has an odd limitation that makes it dependent on the weather to work. I assume that is part of the reason for the fog, besides the battlefield advantage.

Presumably they can generate the fog, and then teleport into the fog when it encroaches. Sadly I have not found out how the fog is generated at the moment, though it does not seem to be a very complicated spell. I believe the advantage of this is that the fog can be cast at range, perhaps great range, and this allows them to avoid scouting parties while also protecting whoever is able to do such magic. The other option is that whoever created the fog escaped, or that they used a magic item in order to generate the fog and that consumed its power.

Of lesser importance, I found that the tattoo's that the woad's wear are not simply ornaments, they in fact enhance their abilities. Though while certainly an interesting find, I don't think that is much of a surprise considering how they fight in combat. From here, I wished to ask everyone's opinion of what we should do next" Janastor finishes. He then reaches into his pack and grabs a waterskin, and drains half of it to quench his thirst.

wxdruid
2010-01-26, 11:37 AM
Cassandra

She catches the young woman's uncomfortableness and listens to Janastor's report before turning to her. She smiles in a friendly way, Please, don't worry, no one here will do anything to harm you. She gestures to one side, Would you rather step to one side for a while?

If the old woman and young lady are interested she'll walk with them to a more private spot to recover.