PDA

View Full Version : To infinity and beyond!

Radar
2009-12-11, 03:04 PM
The purpose of this thread is to scale any character statistic up to the power of continuum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality_of_the_continuum) (it's still infinity, but a lot more).

The reason for this thread is simple: it hasn't been done as yet (as far as I know).

General premise: I will be using the Cantor's diagonal argument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor%27s_diagonal_argument) to reach aleph_1, since it's the easiest to use and understand. I will need two things:
1. An iterative process, that will establish an exponential growth of a chosen statistic. For example zeroth iteration will give a +1 to HP. Let's tag it as 0. First iteration should give +1 HP and yet another +1 HP. Let's tag those bonuses 0.0 and 0.1. On the next iteration we will get 0.00, 0.01, 0.10, 0.11. Thus we will construct a set of all binary series of lenght N, where N is the iteration number.
2. A way to cram infinite ammount of actions/spells in a finite time, to be able to push the process from point 1. up to it's limit.

Solution:
1. Be a sorcerer and learn Arcane Fusion or it's greater version. Stack up on metamagic reducers, so that you could twin one of those spells without changing the slot level (doable with enough cheese involved).
2. Take Sanctum Spell and go out of your sanctuary for a walk. A sanctified Arcane Fusion is now treated as one level lower then initially, so it can be cast from within Arcane Fusion (a dirty trick, that is floating around Internet - i can't pinpoint the origin).
3. Shapechange into that one monster (can't remember it's name), that gets additional HP from beign electrocuted.
4. Cast Arcane Fusion consisting of Shocking Grasp (yourself as the target) sanctified, twinned (+ enough of +0 metamagics to mitigate) Arcane Fusion with the same content as the first Arcane Fusion.

Corollary: this process effects in casting aleph_1 spell using just one spell slot.

Additional bonus: the Shocing Grasp cascade will give a proper illumination and ambience for The Ultimate Transformation.

Alternatively one could possibly cast a Greater Consumptive Field instead of Shapechange (preferably from a staff, or one's own spell slot) and substitute Summon Monster I for the Shocking Grasp. The only problem is, that there would not be enough place around the caster, to contain all the summons, so it might not work properly. On the plus side, it gives aleph_1 CL and STR (can be moved to other stats as far as i remember), which is better then lousy HP. Now let's top it off with recasting the Greater Consumptive Field and repeating the process. Now we have aleph_1 CL and attributes (if we moved the stats around - I can't remember the exact procedure, but it was there somewhere) permanently and good luck to anyone trying to dispell it against aleph_1 CL. :smallbiggrin:

A long, relaxing maniacal laughter is fully appropriate. :smallsmile:

Anyone is encouraged to disprove this process or propose alternate solutions. :smallsmile:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-11, 03:06 PM
Sanctum Spell was errata'd to nerf that loophole.

Doc Roc
2009-12-11, 03:12 PM
Not precisely, actually. The errata doesn't work the way they wanted it to. There is a FAQ ruling against it, but faq rulings are crappy and seldom referenced.

This is a pretty well-known, but still excellent trick.

Radar
2009-12-11, 03:24 PM
Sanctum Spell was errata'd to nerf that loophole.
I used Sanctum Spell for simplicity. Errata or not, it can be done alternatively with a slightly cranked up Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872354/Shadowcraft_Mage_Handbook).

@Doc Roc: so it was allready done all the way up to aleph_1? :smallfrown:

Arakune
2009-12-11, 04:13 PM
I used Sanctum Spell for simplicity. Errata or not, it can be done alternatively with a slightly cranked up Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872354/Shadowcraft_Mage_Handbook).

@Doc Roc: so it was allready done all the way up to aleph_1? :smallfrown:

Yes, in my character face at least once in the test of spite. Right, Olo?

Doc Roc
2009-12-11, 04:59 PM
Yes, I also have gotten Aleph_1'd to the face. I've also seen characters go fully arbitrary. D&D is really quite interesting.

So the monster you are thinking of is the shambling mound.