PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class or Base Class?

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-11, 03:21 PM
So, I'm DMing for a new group, and one of my players has a great backstory about his character being a member of a society that worships Nerull, and believes he is an incarnation of the god. He is supposed to grow in power as he kills things, which can be explained in a way by XP, but I want to make a class for him that is more flavorful. So my questions are: Would this be more appropriate as a prestige class, or a base class? Has anyone seen anything that fits this description? And should I have posted this in the Homebrew section?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-11, 03:27 PM
Favored Soul or Cleric.

Grumman
Does he have to be a divine spellcaster? The closest I can think of is the Thief of Life from Faiths of Eberron, which gains a few benefits from killing things. Or maybe modify it, removing the sneak attack progression and replacing it with 5/10s divine spellcasting progression?

Sliver
Depends.. If he was just the chosen one due to birth, a template that increases in power as he gains HD sounds fitting.. If it is due to skill then a PrC.. Homebrew indeed..

Optimystik
2009-12-11, 03:34 PM
Necrocarnate harvests essentia from its victims. I think Soul Eater also does what you're thinking. A Heirophant focused around negative energy might work also.