PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good spells to put onto a Minor Schema

AslanCross
2009-12-11, 07:08 PM
Magic of Eberron has an item called a Minor Schema. It's basically a cross between a scroll and a wand that takes the form of a flat strip or rod of rigid material (wood, stone, or metal) on which the glyphs of the spell are engraved. It uses the spell completion mechanism (like scrolls), is usable once per day, and can store spells up to level 6.

Minor Schemas cannot contain spells that have XP components, or costly material components/foci.

Now one of my players is building a 10th-level changeling rogue (he's replacing Loven if you've been following my RHOD journal). He doesn't have the books on him, but I'm giving him suggestions for gear.

The UMD activation DC for Schemas is 20+spell level, and 4th to 6th level schemas are far too expensive, so I'd like to take suggestions for a good 3rd level spell that he might be able to make good use of. (And I will probably give his gear list to his party members as well, since he rarely ever remembers to use the magic items he has on him.)

Milskidasith
2009-12-11, 07:11 PM
Why not just use an eternal wand? They are 2/day, up to third level, and don't require a UMD check. Better in every way if you're only going up to third level spells.

AslanCross
2009-12-11, 07:25 PM
A 3rd-level Eternal wand is more than double the cost of a 3rd-level Minor Schema.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that he's a Rogue/Swordsage hoping to primarily go Shadow Hand. That way he has two general MOs to activate Sneak Attack---go in unseen or go in disguised.

One spell I think would work well is Dolorous Blow, since it has a duration in minutes. Any other suggestions?

Catch
2009-12-11, 07:47 PM
If he's primarily Shadow Hand, Veil of Shadow is a solid spell, especially when paired with the Gloom Razor feat. That way, he can keep the benefits of concealment, while using a better stance than Child of Shadow, like Assassin's Stance, for more sneak attack.

avr
2009-12-11, 09:05 PM
Can't minor schema store infusions as well as spells? Personal weapon augmentation is an obvious one if so, and it's only 1st level.

Draxar
2009-12-11, 10:24 PM
Detect Scrying.

mabriss lethe
2009-12-12, 12:14 AM
I've decided that I love the Steeldance spell(spell compendium) - even in its revised form. Animate two daggers for a round per level that roll with a caster level+casting ability modifier to hit and rolls damage per the weapon+casting ability modifier. It's a pretty useful spell for netting some extra melee damage that can scale a bit with level as you dump more money into the daggers and more points into your primary casting ability. start throwing in baatorian greensteel, assault crystals, and weapon special abilities and things can get pretty fun. Don't go overboard, though.

AslanCross
2009-12-12, 12:31 AM
Can't minor schema store infusions as well as spells? Personal weapon augmentation is an obvious one if so, and it's only 1st level.

Yes, they can. That is indeed a good suggestion.

I've decided that I love the Steeldance spell(spell compendium) - even in its revised form. Animate two daggers for a round per level that roll with a caster level+casting ability modifier to hit and rolls damage per the weapon+casting ability modifier. It's a pretty useful spell for netting some extra melee damage that can scale a bit with level as you dump more money into the daggers and more points into your primary casting ability. start throwing in baatorian greensteel, assault crystals, and weapon special abilities and things can get pretty fun. Don't go overboard, though.

...I love this idea. This way he has more use for what would normally become vendor trash.

Zaq
2009-12-12, 03:41 PM
I just went through this, actually. Minor Schemas aren't as good as eternal wands for non-casters, because they UMD as a scroll, not as a wand (meaning it's a much more difficult check). If you're a warlock or an artificer, you'll probably be ok, but if you're just a rogue or a DFA, you'll have a much harder time making the UMD check.

That said, if you can pull it off, Superior Resistance is better than a Cloak of Resistance, only slightly more expensive, and doesn't take up an item slot.

Tanaric
2009-12-12, 03:47 PM

Why animate daggers? The spell clearly states that it applies to any bladed weapon, and specifically calls out longswords. Animate greatswords instead.

Colossal+++ greatswords if you feel like it, though expect sharp-edged books to be thrown if you do.

AslanCross
2009-12-12, 05:50 PM
Colossal+++ greatswords if you feel like it, though expect sharp-edged books to be thrown if you do.

Erm, I'm the DM. I'm just helping the guy build his character's gear as he doesn't have the books on him. I would expel anyone who did that from my group. <_<

Pyro_Azer
2009-12-12, 05:52 PM
Rope trick is always handy.

Tanaric
2009-12-12, 05:53 PM
Ah.

Well.

The greatsword point still stands. Just smaller. :smalltongue:

Voice of Reason
2009-12-13, 12:41 PM
Blink. Third level, PHB. Only 1 round per level, but it gives an effective 50% miss chance against most enemies, 50% less damage from AoEs, and allows you to strike as though invisible (+2 hit and sneak attack every time). The drawback is a 20% miss chance for the caster, but it's worth it.

A smart player can also use this spell to walk through thin walls (less than 5'). 5-7' walls can also be walked through, with only a 50% chance for 1d6 damage. Larger walls are riskier, but a few d6 damage can be better than having to deal with the other obstacles (traps, guards, etc). in many circumstances.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-13, 12:47 PM
Erm, I'm the DM. I'm just helping the guy build his character's gear as he doesn't have the books on him. I would expel anyone who did that from my group. <_<

...Why? Why not just tell them that it doesn't work because it's cheesy?

As for the minor schema: I have to agree to the eternal wand suggestion. Double the uses per day, lower UMD check and only at double the cost. It's like buying two minor schema except without sucking as much.

AslanCross
2009-12-13, 04:42 PM
...Why? Why not just tell them that it doesn't work because it's cheesy?

As for the minor schema: I have to agree to the eternal wand suggestion. Double the uses per day, lower UMD check and only at double the cost. It's like buying two minor schema except without sucking as much.

I'm exaggerating. Not like any of my players threaten to do such a thing, anyway. I'd probably let him do it, but he has to carry those swords around. :P

Thurbane
2009-12-13, 08:04 PM
A 3rd-level Eternal wand is more than double the cost of a 3rd-level Minor Schema.
Well, it is 2/day, after all...