PDA

View Full Version : A monthly magazine?

Surgo
2009-12-11, 08:37 PM
A lot of stuff gets posted here. Some of it is good, some of it is bad, and virtually all of it falls off the board into the bit bucket of both the internet and our minds.

So why not do something to try to save it? Like a monthly or bimonthly magazine...we could have a small group of people who review submissions to make sure they're worth something, and then someone (like myself) could put them together into a decent and easy-to-read magazine format. I'd probably put all the old stuff on the wiki in my signature so it remains easy to find and use in the future as well.

So, what's the thought of this idea? I'd be happy to get started on it right away. All we need is a name and some submissions. And maybe some art.

TabletopNuke
2009-12-11, 09:00 PM
I do like this idea. It makes me sad when good ideas disappear in the depths of the archive. However, I foresee some potential problems:

Firstly, we need people who will be able to commit to the upkeep of the magazine.

Second, there could be argument over what goes into the magazine. Feelings could be hurt over rejected material.

Third, many of the posts here are continuous works in progress. They may takes months to be completed, if not longer.

Fourth, do you have any idea how many threads are made in a month? That's a lot to go through.

A possible solution is a thread with links to the pages, sort of a "hall of fame", sorted by category (base class, PrC, feat, ect) of course. In addition there needs to be a requirement that selected material be 100% complete, possibly even made into a PDF.

Narmy
2009-12-11, 09:03 PM
I could supply you with some submissions, Both mine and others.

What do ya know, I have two classes already made into PDF's >.>

Surgo
2009-12-11, 09:04 PM
edit: Crossposted with Narmy. This replies to TabletopNuke.

One: No way around this.

Two: Yeah, that's likely. No way around this one either -- I don't foresee any rejections based on power level (I have already designed a system to deal with that), but there will certainly be stuff rejected for other reasons. I think this is something that we just have to accept is going to happen.

Three and Four: That's why I feel like a submission process is good. People submit stuff they're proud of (and is finished) -- people don't have to go through thousands of posts to find good stuff.

A possible solution is a thread with links to the pages, sort of a "hall of fame", sorted by category (base class, PrC, feat, ect) of course. In addition there needs to be a requirement that selected material be 100% complete, possibly even made into a PDF.
Clearly submissions will need to be 100% complete, but there's no reason that they are already in PDF format (that's part of what the magazine will do). Honestly though I don't really like the thread with links to a bunch of pages, because that inevitably just falls into disrepair and becomes useless, something that has happened at literally 100% of forums I have been to that had homebrew sections. The goal of the magazine is to be a regular publication that showcases new stuff while maintaining a good, readable, and updated archive.

Gralamin
2009-12-11, 09:21 PM
At one point we tried. It was called Footprints. It sorta crashed and Died though.

TabletopNuke
2009-12-11, 09:44 PM
At one point we tried. It was called Footprints. It sorta crashed and Died though.

That makes me sad.

Surgo
2009-12-11, 09:44 PM
At this point, the proper question to ask is "why did it crash and die?" and avoid repeating mistakes of the past.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-12, 03:36 AM
Ask the Vorpal Tribble; IIRC, he is the creator & organizer of the Footprints project.

My pet theory: People pledge their support, & then don't follow through in delivering quality content. :smallsigh:

Athaniar
2009-12-12, 05:54 AM
I'd be willing to contribute with some of my work (see my extended signature). It's far from perfect, I know, but I'd be willing to contribute.

erikun
2009-12-12, 06:37 AM
I think you should look back at all the threads within the last month and decide if reviewing that many, every month, is something you'd want to do for the next several years.

As already mentioned, there are several problems with such a plan. "Worth something" is highly subjective, and some people may be insulted that their material didn't make in to the magazine. There will be issues of size, as your casual reader won't necessarily want to browse through several hundred pages every month. There will be issues of consistency, as even with the "worth something" quality standards, the homebrews will vary from exceptionally strong to mechanically inferior to complete unrelated to the system you are using. Some people may not want their material put into a magazine without their consent, intenting to produce such works themselves. Producing several magazines will not help with locating a particular variant rule or homebrew class, as you will need to flip through all the magazine issues to see which one it is located in. And then there are distribution issues, even assuming you're planning on handing it out on free PDFs.

Naturally, recruiting people to work on the magazine solves a lot of these problems, but includes the problem of lack of content. Most people are slow to produce work for free, especially manditory, consistent work.

If such a project has been done before, then definitely look into what worked and what didn't. I would recommend trying to assemble a few "test" issues from the last couple of months, just to see what you are getting into.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 06:58 AM
Well, if this idea comes to anything, feel free to use my signature homebrew, it is of varying quality though.

Surgo
2009-12-12, 08:52 AM
The Goal

Produce a magazine, either every month or every other month, containing both quality homebrew of all mechanical strengths as well as quality fluff. You remember how Dragon Magazine, before it kicked the bucket, had all those great articles on demons? Yeah, if we could do stuff like that it would be awesome.

What's Needed?

* Homebrew submissions. Mechanical strength is variable, I have a system for dealing with this -- it's the same one I introduced on the wiki in my signature months ago that has worked out remarkably well. There's no reason it can't work out with similar success for this project.

* Fluff submissions. This is pretty open. A city, a plane, a guild...whatever. The sky is really the limit here, just make sure you're proud of it and you've spell- and grammar-checked it.

* People willing to judge submission quality. Because it sucks to do everything yourself.

* A name. We need a catchy name.

* Some art. Not strictly required, but it makes a magazine so much better.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-12, 09:46 AM
This is good, and if we/you does get good quality material that you would like to publish but won't fit into the current issue, you have three options:
1: put it in the next issue.
2: make it an ongoing series. I would say do this anyway if it was quite lengthy. If, for example, FFX d20 is published in a magazine or some other publication with multiple issues and page restraints than this would be the best way to do it. Note: I do not own FFX d20 or any related products, that is the property of Zeta Kai.
3: don't publish it.

As for a name, I say that if we use this forums we need the word playground in there, so anything from simply From the Playground to, I don't know, playgrounders monthly could work.

I would be happy to submit my invocations-based cleric and the setting to go alongside it when they are finished.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-12, 09:52 AM
What's Needed?

* Homebrew submissions. Mechanical strength is variable, I have a system for dealing with this -- it's the same one I introduced on the wiki in my signature months ago that has worked out remarkably well. There's no reason it can't work out with similar success for this project.

Every 6 weeks I produce a prestige class (complete with fluff) for the PrC Contest thread. I'd be happy to submit my work, although I feel the system for mechanical balance you introduced is decidedly lacking, and I don't want to have to assign my classes to that system. I'd rather write up a little paragraph on the power of the class myself, as some are highly subjective. I'd also want to see at least 1 issue first, as I have OCD issues with quality. :smallfrown:

* Fluff submissions. This is pretty open. A city, a plane, a guild...whatever. The sky is really the limit here, just make sure you're proud of it and you've spell- and grammar-checked it.

Happy to assist here as well.

* People willing to judge submission quality. Because it sucks to do everything yourself.

This I will gladly do. I'm a pretty good judge of quality, technique, and balance, and I'm quick with criticism, suggestions, and, if deserved, praise. I'd be perfectly willing to even do a "review" section where I critique all the creations (or all the large ones) in each issue and discuss them.

In short, you have my ax, and my pen.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 09:55 AM
The Goal

Produce a magazine, either every month or every other month, containing both quality homebrew of all mechanical strengths as well as quality fluff. You remember how Dragon Magazine, before it kicked the bucket, had all those great articles on demons? Yeah, if we could do stuff like that it would be awesome.

What's Needed?

* A name. We need a catchy name.

* Some art. Not strictly required, but it makes a magazine so much better.

I can submit homebrew every now and then, but not every month.
Fluff should be pretty easy if I find the time, who do we send submissions too?
How about homebrew in the playground? Or how about "Emporium of monsters and magic obscure" ?
I however, cannot judge submission quality.
I stink at drawing, pass.

Surgo
2009-12-12, 09:59 AM
who do we send submissions too?
Me, by PM.

I'd be happy to submit my work, although I feel the system for mechanical balance you introduced is decidedly lacking, and I don't want to have to assign my classes to that system. I'd rather write up a little paragraph on the power of the class myself, as some are highly subjective.
Yeah, sure, that's fine. The point is that people who read it know immediately whether or not it's appropriate for their game. That's the point of my system, and as long as this is satisfied I don't really care about the how.

This I will gladly do. I'm a pretty good judge of quality, technique, and balance, and I'm quick with criticism, suggestions, and, if deserved, praise. I'd be perfectly willing to even do a "review" section where I critique all the creations (or all the large ones) in each issue and discuss them.
Congratulations, welcome on board.

I'll make a new thread detailing what we're looking for soon, but I'd like to start out by saying that we're not looking for fighter fixes (or similar things). Why? Because there are a total of two people in the world who actually read fighter fixes. We want exciting content that people will want to read.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:01 AM
My first few homebrew submissions will probably be whats in my sig :smalltongue: . Can we make landscapes like mountains and continents for the Fluff section?

Surgo
2009-12-12, 10:02 AM
Yeah, all that is good. Just make stuff that people will find exciting and/or interesting to read.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:06 AM
Yeah, all that is good. Just make stuff that people will find exciting and/or interesting to read.

I see, well lets see if I can dig up some of my old campaign world notesand see if I find anything worth for the fluff section..

Are we going to have segregated Ebberon and FR sections though? Like for example, "This mountain is in Ebberon, but here is a way to put it into FR: *Insert example here* " and vice versa?

Well anyway, I'll soon PM you links to all my homebrew, with a one sentence or two summary so you know what you're about to click on.

Are we also going to have 4e content, by the way :smallconfused: ?

Surgo
2009-12-12, 10:09 AM
If the people want 4e content, they'll get 4e content.

The format is not, and never will be, set in stone. You can say this is a mountain in Eberron, but if there's nothing that's actually Eberron-specific about it you're better off just saying this is a mountain and leaving it up to the reader to drop it in wherever he or she pleases.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-12, 10:10 AM
I see, well lets see if I can dig up some of my old campaign world notesand see if I find anything worth for the fluff section..

Are we going to have segregated Ebberon and FR sections though? Like for example, "This mountain is in Ebberon, but here is a way to put it into FR: *Insert example here* " and vice versa?

Well anyway, I'll soon PM you links to all my homebrew, with a one sentence or two summary so you know what you're about to click on.

Are we also going to have 4e content, by the way :smallconfused: ?

If I'm going to be on his critique committee, drop me a line as well...and expect some pretty heavy critique, as, if we're going to actually do this, we need to make sure we have quality work...Dragon, after all, was always rather suspect, and I'd like to avoid having to pull a "let me look over it thoroughly, as Dragon never really worries to much about balance" thing.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:11 AM
If the people want 4e content, they'll get 4e content.

The format is not, and never will be, set in stone. You can say this is a mountain in Eberron, but if there's nothing that's actually Eberron-specific about it you're better off just saying this is a mountain and leaving it up to the reader to drop it in wherever he or she pleases.

Let say though for example, it had a gate to one of those Ebberon-specific planes in it? Do we say "It goes to this plane, but if you're not playing Ebberon it goes to this plane instead* ?

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:12 AM
If I'm going to be on his critique committee, drop me a line as well...and expect some pretty heavy critique, as, if we're going to actually do this, we need to make sure we have quality work...Dragon, after all, was always rather suspect, and I'd like to avoid having to pull a "let me look over it thoroughly, as Dragon never really worries to much about balance" thing.

Got it, I'll send the PM to both of you.

Surgo
2009-12-12, 10:13 AM
Let say though for example, it had a gate to one of those Ebberon-specific planes in it? Do we say "It goes to this plane, but if you're not playing Ebberon it goes to this plane instead* ?

Yeah, that's cool.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 10:29 AM
Yeah, that's cool.

Got it, good.

Athaniar
2009-12-12, 11:12 AM
So, when can we start to submit our works?

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 11:16 AM
So, when can we start to submit our works?

I already submitted mine.

Athaniar
2009-12-12, 11:19 AM
Just two questions, then:

First, is it enough if I post a link? Second, if my submission is not accepted, can I learn the reasons why so I can improve it?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-12, 11:21 AM
First, is it enough if I post a link? Second, if my submission is not accepted, can I learn the reasons why so I can improve it?

I'd personally prefer a PM, but I'd accept a link.

As for the reasons, what I'm currently going with is that I'm PMing the reasons to Surgo, but, if you want to know them (and what we think needs to be improved, if anything), I'd say that sounds reasonable...

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 11:27 AM
I'd personally prefer a PM, but I'd accept a link.

As for the reasons, what I'm currently going with is that I'm PMing the reasons to Surgo, but, if you want to know them (and what we think needs to be improved, if anything), I'd say that sounds reasonable...

I would like to know why mine are rejected if they are, so I may improve them.

Darksword
2009-12-12, 11:37 AM
I like the idea. I wold say the first "issues" should be the greatest stuff from the past. After that each issue will focus on the new stuff that has been posted recently. There could be recuring series for big projects like ff 10 d20 and D20R

Athaniar
2009-12-12, 11:45 AM
PM away. Do you want every suggestion I have at once, or just one at a time?

nepphi
2009-12-12, 02:30 PM
Sign me up for all categories.

I'm going to assume this is valid for all particular and relevant editions?

Surgo
2009-12-12, 02:47 PM
Yeah. Though if people throw anything AD&D at me, I'll have no clue what to do with it.

nepphi
2009-12-12, 02:53 PM
Another question, when it comes to homebrew, do adventures count? I'm not talking about huge campaigns of course, that may be beyond a monthly webzine's ability to sustain itself, but rather side quests and short, three session adventures? This is where I have the most fun, myself.

Surgo
2009-12-12, 02:56 PM
Yes, that is perfectly fine. We want to include the greatest possible variety of material -- that keeps both us and readers interested.

Narmy
2009-12-12, 02:57 PM
Wait... what? Seriously, we're starting?

I nominate everything that I've done homebrew then. (Two Classes, and some feats)

Aside from that, I have an adventure that I can nominate, I forget who posted it, but I can find out.

nepphi
2009-12-12, 03:00 PM
Sweet. So does that mean I'm in to help critique materials from a quality perspective? I need some writing and editing experience anyway, and free is a fun way to do it.

Surgo
2009-12-12, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to write up a magazine schema and some xsl sheets to transform it into a PDF and web pages.

lesser_minion
2009-12-12, 03:26 PM
My homebrewing is generally pretty intermittent - I come up with ideas at random, really, so I wouldn't be all that great as a regular contributor. I don't think any of the projects I have at the moment would be suitable for a magazine.

Saying that, I have some fluff ideas that I might try to get down on paper and submit.

I should be able to review things though, although I'm not sure how great I'd be in comparison to Djinn. I might be able to pick up on different things though, and I think I might be OK on the editing side.

I'm probably not the go-to guy for laying things out or handling the IT though.

Kallisti
2009-12-12, 03:42 PM
So this is basically Footsteps? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124417) Get VT, Afroakuma, Lappy, Debby, and the rest of the old Footsteps crew on board.

Fako
2009-12-12, 03:44 PM
Like lesser_minion, my homebrewing is intermittent at best... I will send a PM with a link to my Skinshred Swarm for submission, as that's my best one so far...

As for a name, I'd recommend something referring to a sandbox, as that's the area of the playground that promotes the most creativity in my opinion...

Surgo
2009-12-12, 04:52 PM
So this is basically Footsteps? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124417) Get VT, Afroakuma, Lappy, Debby, and the rest of the old Footsteps crew on board.
If any of them want to help out, they're welcome to contact me.

I'm going to start a new thread detailing the current crew and where/how to send submissions in a bit. First I want to know if anyone wants to get in on editing and judging.

nepphi
2009-12-12, 04:58 PM
I'd like to help with those, as well as submitting.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-12, 05:16 PM
I do both each time I critique something. Nothing that comes to me (unless the applicant doesn't want me to) will escape being deeply critiqued.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 05:18 PM
Yes, that is perfectly fine. We want to include the greatest possible variety of material -- that keeps both us and readers interested.

So, how many encounters should an adventure have? Enough to gain a whole level, or just a few encounters so it doesn't take up too much space?

lesser_minion
2009-12-12, 05:22 PM
If any of them want to help out, they're welcome to contact me.

afroakuma is tied up in another project, but his homebrewing POWER is a board meme.

Debihuman is a decent critic, but she doesn't seem to post that often.

The Vorpal Tribble is basically a legend on these boards.

Lappy9000 seems pretty solid, although I haven't read much of his material.

I'm going to start a new thread detailing the current crew and where/how to send submissions in a bit. First I want to know if anyone wants to get in on editing and judging.

I'm definitely willing to help edit things, and I'll try to judge things as well.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 06:11 PM
I do both each time I critique something. Nothing that comes to me (unless the applicant doesn't want me to) will escape being deeply critiqued.

You got my PM,correct?

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-12, 06:17 PM
What sort of name will we be going for? I won't be able to do critiquing, but I will submit all homebrew on these boards that I finish. I might also be able to upload a few pictures if I can get a scanner, but my drawings moderate at best. Anything that is rejected I would like to be told what should be fixed, I'll work on that and if I can get it sorted out I'll re-submit. I won't have anything to submit until my invocations cleric is finished though, and I think that I would like to keep that until the setting is finished. However, anything I submit for contests is open for inclusion as soon as the contest is over.

Gamerlord
2009-12-12, 06:27 PM
What sort of name will we be going for?
I vote for "Monsters and magic obscure" .

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-12, 06:51 PM
You know, this idea is interesting... I wouldn't mind doing something with it.

Unfortunately, none of my homebrew is finished or likely to be finished (Heartless, Weapons Redux) or critiqued at all (Shield Protector (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127923)).

I'd be interested in some sort of position here, if I felt I had any skills to give. I'm not critical enough to be a reviewer, and I suck at balance, so there goes that...

Maybe I'd do some characters (antagonists or protagonists) or races or something, those are easier.

If you've got anything for me, I'd be happy to help, but... yeah, I'm not good at much. I'd definitely read it though.

Name... what kind of name? Hmph.... I need time to think. Maybe Playground Creations or something?

Fortuna
2009-12-13, 02:50 AM
I homebrew prolifically, and am always sad when I see something drop into the depths of the archive. I will definitely be submitting lots of stuff.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-13, 04:27 AM
Maybe our cover could feature a stick-figure drawing of the issues primary feature, be it a race, class, ect.

Also, names, names, names, both sound good, but I'd vote for the second one, simply because this is just coming from the playground.

Athaniar
2009-12-13, 07:42 AM
I think we need something simple, something that both reminds you of Dragon and this site. How about Jotun?

EDIT: Jotun is an old Norse term meaning Giant.

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 07:44 AM
Okay, since nobody wants the name to be "Monsters and magic obscure" how about this: Library or Drake or Giant?

Narmy
2009-12-13, 07:50 AM
Why not something VERY simple.

SandGround Archive

PlayBox Archives

Playground Vault
Playgrounder's Tome

I dunno.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-13, 09:15 AM
Hmm... Playground.... childhood.... time capsule...

The Time Capsule!

Hrm... but that implies retro.

Maybe make that the name of a section where we look at past stuff?

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-13, 10:41 AM
Playgrounder's Tome

I like it.

What sections should we have? Lets look at what we could feature:

The Time Capsule: here we go back and add more options to previous homebrew.
Magic obscure: Here we list a selection of new spells. Each week it will have a new subtitle or more, depending on how many creations are in here.
Tools of the trade: here we list new equipment. It will not appear every week, instead it will appear every few issues, giving people new options.
Aspirants: here we list new classes. Both base and prestige.
Men and Monsters: here we list new races and monsters in the -zine.
The DMs guide to powergaming: here we answer questions about how to deal with powergamers DMs have sent.
And other sections as needed.

there are some features that might be good to humour campaigns.
Adventurers on acid: if we get permission to include acid classes, here would be where they would go.
Cheezeburger: here we list anything related to internet sensations.

Bare in mind these sections are mainly about crunch. I have no ideas for fluff sections, so others will have to name them.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-13, 10:51 AM
People of Note For NPCs to put into your game?

Ichneumon
2009-12-13, 10:51 AM
Adventurers on acid: if we get permission to include acid classes, here would be where they would go.
Cheezeburger: here we list anything related to internet sensations.

Acid classes?:smallconfused:

Dragon Elite
2009-12-13, 11:04 AM
I can make traps, and lots of them (complex, too). I suck at critique, so thats out. I also occasionally make monsters.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-13, 11:29 AM
I think we need something simple, something that both reminds you of Dragon and this site. How about Jotun?

EDIT: Jotun is an old Norse term meaning Giant.

I like this suggestion, as it's nice and simple, which I support.

As for section names...I'm not sure we actually need them. I think they can be named (if a name more complex than "Classes" or "Feats" is needed) on a individual basis. Seems more...professional that way.

Jogi
2009-12-13, 11:45 AM
Hey, what about some sort of reference to ToB? We could have the Tomes From The Playground...

:D anyway, Im not that active in homebrewing, however, may I suggest that we create a format for the known forms of submissions (like the ones we have in our contests)? I think that would make it all that much more organized.

I might as well submit something soon. :smallsmile:

Jogi
2009-12-13, 11:51 AM
I can make traps, and lots of them (complex, too). I suck at critique, so thats out. I also occasionally make monsters.

Oooh boy I didn't see this post before. :smallbiggrin: What about one of makes that delayed vampiric lime trap?

As I can remember it works like this:
- The trigger is in a narrow corridor, 10 foot ahead of where the trap will actually hit.
- The trapped ground dismantles, giving place to a pit fall with stakes.
- A vampiric gelatinous cube is released from a container in the ceiling, falling into the pit.
:smallbiggrin: I just love this one.

Dragon Elite
2009-12-13, 12:00 PM
There is a bend in the road. Nozzles spray blood at you. Cue releasing monstrous fiendish shadow wolves. :smallamused:

lesser_minion
2009-12-13, 12:14 PM
Acid classes?:smallconfused:

Because all of the base classes in D&D mean that its pH is dangerously high.

Direct all groans and/or hate mail regarding that joke to DracoDei's inbox.

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 01:41 PM
Ideas for the names of the fluff sections:

WANTED: section for villains and their lairs and all that.
Fantastic locations: Landscapes,cities, etc.

Can't think of anything for allies or other forms of fluff.

Fortuna
2009-12-13, 02:48 PM
I actually agree with the idea (lost the post now) that we should name the sections on an individual basis.

Kallisti
2009-12-13, 02:53 PM
I like the name Jotun. Although the project to get Footsteps started again never took off, so that name's probably available too.

I'd be available to edit submissions. I like the idea of a Playground homebrew magazine, but Footsteps' death (twice) makes me wonder if it's possible to get that much regularity.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-13, 02:59 PM
I like the name Jotun. Although the project to get Footsteps started again never took off, so that name's probably available too.

I'd be available to edit submissions. I like the idea of a Playground homebrew magazine, but Footsteps' death (twice) makes me wonder if it's possible to get that much regularity.

I think that Footsteps could have done more though...for example, we have a thriving contest-participating community...if Jotun (or whatever name we decide on) could tap into that with, say, monthly or bi-monthly contests, as well as picking a few "only-appearing-in-Jotun" works from prominent forum-goers (to make it more than just the forums), we might have something.

Branching out to other RPG sites might also be a strong idea.

Kallisti
2009-12-13, 03:06 PM
I think that Footsteps could have done more though...for example, we have a thriving contest-participating community...if Jotun (or whatever name we decide on) could tap into that with, say, monthly or bi-monthly contests, as well as picking a few "only-appearing-in-Jotun" works from prominent forum-goers (to make it more than just the forums), we might have something.

I was mostly just saying that I doubt anyone would mind if we stole the name Footsteps. Branching out is a good idea, though. I know there's likely to be some good homebrew on the WotC boards. Contests are a good idea, too. VT always runs a monster contest and ErrantX is running a PrC contest, though, so should we run another contest like those or find something more unique? Maybe one month do a Fantasy Sites contest, or a Villains contest...choose something a little more unique. Although just basic homebrew contests sometimes would probably be a good idea. Maybe switch off between basic PrC/monster/item/feat contests and more unusual types?

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 03:08 PM

It is kinda hard to fit a prestige class into a PM :smalltongue:

Surgo
2009-12-13, 03:13 PM
As far as branching out to other RPG sites...I'm already planning on archiving magazine contents in the wiki in my signature. But when it comes to submissions, I'm happy to take them.

I'm doing a bit of work on my website; once I'm done that, I'll make a new thread detailing who is on the editing/judging board. If you're still interested in doing that, could you please PM me? Thank you.

Also, no worries about computer/IT stuff -- I've got a handle on that. I'm working on creating a typesetting system for our magazine as we speak.

Athaniar
2009-12-13, 04:07 PM
It is kinda hard to fit a prestige class into a PM :smalltongue:

How so? A base class fits, a PrC should fit too.

alchemyprime
2009-12-13, 04:18 PM
I support Jotun. And I would like to also submit things for it. Once I'm done with Prime20. Or... I could plug it in there...

But I'll also gladly do normal homebrew stuff too. Oh! Is 4e stuff allowed, or just 3.5?