PDA

View Full Version : I made my players go to Ravenloft...

Sila Prirode
2009-12-11, 08:57 PM
And they liked it.
But I have a few issues that I'd like to go over with you :smallsmile:
Sidenote: This is about Expedition to Castle Ravenloft 3.5 mini campaign, with pretty much everything done by the book.

First is the number of ways PC can die in this adventure. For example my dwarf psychic warrior almost got coup de graced when they encountered 3 Ghasts. And there are 7 of PCs. He got paralyzed, and one thing led to another. Luckily, party clerics were fast enough.

Second was almost fatal encounter on town square, Ashlyn was swarmed instantly, along the swordsage in party, while others had troubles with barricades. Shield Other from cleric once again proved it's worth.

So, what I'm meaning to ask you, is it all supposed to be that fatal? Because now I'm pretty sure they will die too soon (yes, I said too soon, it's because that at the beginning of the campaign we agreed on "It is an horror campaign, and no PC is going to be spared" rule).

Any thoughts/experiences/advice on this gem of an adventure?

jmbrown
2009-12-11, 09:01 PM
The original subtitle for the Ravenloft campaign setting was "Realm of Terror." The original adventure module pretty much warned DMs about its deadliness.

In short, yes. It's supposed to be fatal. The whole point of the game was adding an element of fear to the swords and sorcery universe. If people are dying then you're playing the game right.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-11, 09:03 PM
Ravenloft is supposed to be incredibly deadly, and also filled with horror.
"Great big flapping wing scaly fire-breathing thing with talons and teeth" might be scary, but it's not horror.

Sounds like expedition to ravenloft is nice and deadly. Though having played 3.0 and 2nd ed Ravenloft, I'd say 2nd ed was much more horrifying.
Ninjas?

taltamir
2009-12-11, 09:18 PM
I will admit, after reading the books I am actually scared ****less of ravenloft.

Thurbane
2009-12-12, 12:37 AM
I'm preparing to run EtCR for my group early in the new year (when our current EttRoG campaign finishes), and yes, reading through it, there are a LOT of really tough/tricky encounters, and I fully expect party members to die (especially since most of my group aren't optimizers).

Reading various reviews and campaign journals, though, opinion seems to be divided on whether EtCR is a "killer module" or not. Quite a few people say it really isn't that tough...

If anyone is interested, I'm currently compiling a bit of a fact sheet to accompany the module, which is made up of pieces of errata and such I have gleaned from the web. The module does have a few minor errors, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Sila Prirode
2009-12-12, 10:02 AM
If anyone is interested, I'm currently compiling a bit of a fact sheet to accompany the module, which is made up of pieces of errata and such I have gleaned from the web. The module does have a few minor errors, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Yes, that's just the kind of help I was hoping to get, I would appreciate if you would be kind to share it with me :smallsmile:

Asheram
2009-12-12, 10:23 AM
Ravenloft is designed to be a horror setting, unfortunatly, horror often translates into "Deadly" which doesn't make it as horrifying for people that don't go into character.

You might want to start also to think about penalties for "freshly rolled up characters" It'll give them the will to really stay alive with their current ones.

When I started my own Ravenloft campaign I said to my players "There's always the option to run away, remember that" Because ravenloft is Very, Very deadly.

Sila Prirode
2009-12-12, 10:47 AM
You might want to start also to think about penalties for "freshly rolled up characters" It'll give them the will to really stay alive with their current ones.

Well, they already have the will to stay alive, because everyone is fond of their character, so expendability won't be an issue.

When I started my own Ravenloft campaign I said to my players "There's always the option to run away, remember that" Because ravenloft is Very, Very deadly.
They got that already covered, because they know how I DM. I would never let them go unpunished for doing something stupid, also, they are all in grave danger, all the time. So they kinda know when they are supposed to run :smallcool:

jiriku
2009-12-12, 11:12 AM
Your dwarf psychic warrior? As in...DMPC? Say it ain't so!

erikun
2009-12-12, 11:30 AM
I was assuming he meant the dwarf psychic warrior in his campaign, played by one of the PCs. Although I could be wrong.

It could be the fates. The DMPCs are always the first to go, after all. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2009-12-12, 06:37 PM
Yes, that's just the kind of help I was hoping to get, I would appreciate if you would be kind to share it with me :smallsmile:
Cool, probably won't be ready for a week or two, but when it is I'll let you know.

Sila Prirode
2009-12-13, 05:59 PM
Well yeah, my dwarf psychic warrior PC, not DMPC :D
But, as it goes, they have expressed a desire to have Ashlyn join their party, I'm still considering it. Probably won't go with that, but it would allow me a chance to plant some ideas in party (where should they go, and stuff, because, she knows best, she was there before them :smallbiggrin: )

Volkov
2009-12-13, 06:53 PM
"We don't go to ravenholm ravenloft." Your PC's are all dead men walking.