PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3.5 to pathfinder

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-11, 09:20 PM
I've been looking at the players guide to pathfinder. In the large part it's basically the same thing but there are some little things that do really matter.

Mainly because my character is the sneaky sort and is a swordsage. So the small changes to skills are important.

I'm going with the shadow hand, desert wind, and tiger claw schools but both of those are using skills that have been sort of combined into one skill (sneak and acrobatics) rather that being two separate sets (move silently, hide, jump, and tumble). Although this makes a little more sense it makes classes other than the ones in the core rule book like lurk and sword sage rather awkward.

Does anyone have a conversion guide for converting 3.5 to pathfinder?

Mongoose87
2009-12-11, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure how that's awkward- they didn't reduce the skillpoints for any of the core classes. You simply have fewer skills, and more versatility from each one.

Gametime
2009-12-11, 09:25 PM
All it means is that the ToB disciplines now share core skills. Given that some disciplines rely heavily on their skill (like Tiger Claw) and some barely utilize it at all, I don't see this as a problem. It certainly shouldn't make a significant power level difference.

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-11, 10:39 PM
Well what about in the case of things like the dark template which gives two different increases for what is now essentially one skill (move silently +6 hide +8) how does that work? Do I have +8 in the skill or +14 or something else?

Rixx
2009-12-11, 10:45 PM
You can get a conversion guide for free off Paizo's website.

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-11, 11:04 PM
You can get a conversion guide for free off Paizo's website.

Yeah I just found that but it seems that concentration is gone now but I like using diamond mind what do I do?

9mm
2009-12-11, 11:45 PM
Yeah I just found that but it seems that concentration is gone now but I like using diamond mind what do I do?

pick a new skill, preferably based off con. done. or all of a sudden swordsages treat spellcraft as a class skill, and diamond mind works off spell craft now. it isn't that hard.

Reinboom
2009-12-12, 12:16 AM
pick a new skill, preferably based off con. done. or all of a sudden swordsages treat spellcraft as a class skill, and diamond mind works off spell craft now. it isn't that hard.

Uh... there does not seem to be one based on con. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skillDescriptions.html)

A solution:
Your level + 3 + Con modifier instead of those checks. This, effectively, is Concentration in all but name and skill use.

Rixx
2009-12-12, 05:41 AM
Give yourself a new skill - like "Focus" or "Conviction" - that you use for these checks. Make it Con based and base your class abilities on that.

There are no Con-based skills in Pathfinder.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-12, 06:46 AM
Or use Martial Lore instead of Concentration if you can't get your DM (assuming you're the player, for a second) to put a new skill in.

BobVosh
2009-12-12, 06:59 AM
Concentration checks exist in pathfinder. Use those. Its CL(or initiator level) + casting stat(con). It is a little nerfed, but not by much. Plus it doesn't cost ranks.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-12-12, 09:52 AM
In my game, Martial Lore still exists. all that stuff that you did with concentration with Diamond Mind, or the Spellcraft stuff with Desert Wind is now a Martial Lore check. Don't need to make stuff up, just use what is already there.

This forum thread may be helpful:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/communityContent/conversions/archives/tomeOfBattleBookOfNineSwordsInPathfinder

Nero24200
2009-12-12, 01:03 PM
I'd consider replacing concentration with Autohypnosis for Diamond Mind. In terms of fluff, it fits just right, though if your DM isn't much of a Psionic fan they might not allow it.

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-12, 04:16 PM
In my game, Martial Lore still exists. all that stuff that you did with concentration with Diamond Mind, or the Spellcraft stuff with Desert Wind is now a Martial Lore check. Don't need to make stuff up, just use what is already there.

This forum thread may be helpful:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/communityContent/conversions/archives/tomeOfBattleBookOfNineSwordsInPathfinder

Great link! I liked their idea of switching concentration with perception. But I still don't know how to fix the Dark template I didn't see a fix in the conversion guide. Any ideas?

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-12, 07:17 PM
Should I just change it so I have +8 in stealth rather than both +6 and +8 in the two skills?

Starbuck_II
2009-12-12, 07:45 PM
I'd consider replacing concentration with Autohypnosis for Diamond Mind. In terms of fluff, it fits just right, though if your DM isn't much of a Psionic fan they might not allow it.

This makes the most sense.

Nate the Snake
2009-12-13, 12:16 AM
Should I just change it so I have +8 in stealth rather than both +6 and +8 in the two skills?

That sounds reasonable. You're basically getting two different bonuses from the same source, so you only get the best one.