PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened...

Krade
2009-12-11, 10:19 PM
... I'm slightly MAD!!! Just very slightly mad... (cookie for reference)

So, after much hard (see also: not really) work and over 2 years without, I have finally, FINALLY managed to get internet hooked up to my house.

However due to the annoying nature of my house's outlet placement, it's likely that I'll have to rearrange furniture and move the computer desk so the cord isnt' running across the middle of the living room floor. I think I can deal with that though, because, if for no other reason, I FINALLY HAVE INTERNET!!!:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

And I shall never go outside again...

thubby
2009-12-11, 10:47 PM
hoorah? :smallconfused:

a simple way around cord problems is to run them under the floor. a decent sized drill and some measuring tape, and you're set.

Krade
2009-12-11, 10:56 PM
Under the floor doesn't sound like a really feasible plan to me. Something about drilling into the hardwood seems like it might be a bad idea.

I much more likely to get another extension (I'm already using one) and tape/staple it around the wall to the jack. Though there is a phone jack in the currently unoccupied room in my house, so I could possibly just move the whole setup into there. Actually, that seems like a really good idea... I'll have to run these options by my brother and see what he thinks...

Edit: The cookie has been awarded. Thank you all for playing, and better luck next time:smalltongue:

u-gotNOgame
2009-12-11, 11:20 PM
+1 cookie for Queen!

Congrats man, it shouldn't be hard to run it through the wall, or up to your spare room. Plus then it becomes an "office" much more manly sounding.

-UGNG

Pocketa
2009-12-12, 01:21 AM
Congrats on the net, what did you use before you had a home connection?

wxdruid
2009-12-12, 01:26 AM
Another option would be to put a rug over the cord, hiding it and making it so you don't accidently trip over it.

Congrats on getting internet, look forward to seeing you around here more. :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-12-12, 01:35 AM
And I shall never go outside again...

I am sworn brother, sweet, to grim necessity, and he and I will keep a league till death.

Krade
2009-12-12, 02:23 AM
Congrats on the net, what did you use before you had a home connection?

The library. Occassionally. Maybe once a week. And only in hour or so intervals. Aside from that I just banged two rocks together to distract myself from the crushing depression that is life without internet.

After talking to my brother, a verdict has been reached on a solution. I shall get a longer cord and string along the wall. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I already spent most of my Christmas bonus on buying the stupid modem.just kidding modem. I know you're not stupid. Please don't cut me off again:smallfrown:

Fostire
2009-12-12, 02:54 AM
:smalleek: 2 years depending on the library for internet! That's just... wrong.
I don't think I could survive more than 2 weeks like that.

Shikton
2009-12-12, 03:22 AM
Congratulations on a new chapter in your life. It shall bring you joy.

I too used to go to the library for Teh Internets, but not as near as often as you or for as many years. Must have blown.

Boo
2009-12-12, 04:56 AM
:smalleek: 2 years depending on the library for internet! That's just... wrong.
I don't think I could survive more than 2 weeks like that.

I survived quite a long time on library computers that were a forty-five minute walk from my house. Runnymede Public Library, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Oh yeah! About one and a half to two years on those things. Then I got a computer, and my life was less bothersome. I stopped sitting at the local Chapters that took over an old cinema. I actually watched movies there back when it WAS a cinema.

I like how I never had to pay for the books there to read them. They just expected me to. Stupid management. :smalltongue: Never expect a broke, cheap person to buy something just because it's inconvenient to travel to all the time. I read the whole Series of Unfortunate Events there (and I'm not that fast of a reader).

Force
2009-12-12, 10:42 AM
Go Craigslisting for a wireless router & card for your computer?

bosssmiley
2009-12-12, 12:29 PM
... I'm slightly MAD!!! Just very slightly mad... (cookie for reference)

This is why we love Krade. Because he understands that "MOAR Queen!" is always a valid option (along with "blame Sneak" and "bucket of soapy frogs"). :smallbiggrin:

So, after much hard (see also: not really) work and over 2 years without, I have finally, FINALLY managed to get internet hooked up to my house.

Congratulations. You will never want to revert to posting via telegraph.

Krade
2009-12-12, 03:42 PM
And just like in when I first started on the forum bosssmiley (whether or not he remembers) says something awesome and memorable. I'm surprised I remember, being near 3 years ago.

Edit: I get the "blame Sneak" part, but "bucket of soapy frogs?"

Spamnation!
2009-12-13, 07:17 PM
Congrats....
i have wireless....
but then i have skitzouts so it can be bad...
p.s.
whats with the cat-muffin?

Krade
2009-12-13, 07:23 PM
There was a cat-muffin week in October last year. It convenienty happened around a short period where I had semi-normal internet access for a few weeks. I just still haven't gotten around to changing it back to what it was before (or anything else, for that matter).

Edit: Hence the "I'm still a cat-muffin" in my location area.

Also, welcome to the forums. Please enjoy your stay.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-15, 03:51 AM
Huzzah! Krade joins "the regulars"! Did I read that right, though, you're going to be on dial up?

Krade
2009-12-15, 09:32 PM
Oh no, no dial-up. Down that road is madness. The road itself is also paved with madness.

I got DSL. Still runs through the phone line, just signifacantly better.

chiasaur11
2009-12-15, 10:46 PM
Dial up is for cavemen. CAVEMEN.

Pyrian
2009-12-15, 11:24 PM
Caves don't usually have landlines, I'm afraid. ...They use satellite. :smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-15, 11:51 PM
Oh, DSL, right! *facepalms*

*brings back out the Congo Rats*