PDA

View Full Version : PVP Duel )D&D 3.5)

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-11, 11:33 PM
While at my weekly D&D session, two conflicts arose:

1) That a wizard wasn't entirely more powerfull then the fighter
2) That a barbarian wasn't better in a 1v1 fight then a monk.

While I want to do the first challenge myself (Though I have the better class, the other player is a better optimizer then myself), I have no idea how to approach the second challenge. Thus I'm asking for some advice.

The perameters are as follows:

You must be a human, with no flaws, and 10 levels in the class you chose. You may have no other classess or templates.

Feats and items can be drawn from core, PHBII and the complete series.
Standard WBL
We will duel to the death in a circular arena. If you flee from it voluntarily, you lose.

Any tips?

EDIT: Oh right, and 32 point buy is being used for attributes.

erikun
2009-12-11, 11:40 PM
Barbarian 10 vs. Monk?

I'm pretty sure there is an alternate class feature for the Barbarian that gives them pounce. Combine with Power Attack, Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer), and Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior) for large amounts of damage on a charge. You will probably want some magical miss chance from equipment to overcome the low AC from Shock Trooper.

That's the general strategy for Barbarians.

[EDIT] Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian, from Complete Champion

Tavar
2009-12-11, 11:44 PM
Any spending limits?

SurlySeraph
2009-12-11, 11:47 PM
Spirit Lion Totem alternate class feature, from Complete Champion. You'll likely want to use a full Orc for the extra strength. Then do exactly what erikun said. Maybe take Improved Initiative as well to make sure you get the charge. Your strategy should be to charge, then get away, then charge again, etc.

tyckspoon
2009-12-11, 11:50 PM
He has 10 levels of nothing but Monk to work with? :smallconfused: I'm reasonably certain you'd give him a good fight if you didn't even try, and should beat him handily if you do try.

That said, if you really want to annoy him: Give your Barbarian an Axiomatic Human-bane weapon. Point out that his Monk cannot return the favor because he does not get to play with magic enhancements unless he is willing to sacrifice his Unarmed Strike damage.

More seriously, I would find out what it is he thinks the monk is supposed to be best at and then beat him at it. If the answer is anything other than "staying alive" you should be able to find sufficient feats and items to best him at his own game. If it *is* staying alive, crushing him into chunky salsa should prove the point (and since he'll be dead and you won't, you'll have beat him at staying alive anyway.)

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-11, 11:54 PM
Any spending limits?

As I said, WBL, and 32 point buy.

sofawall
2009-12-11, 11:56 PM

So everything can be spent on one item?

Tavar
2009-12-11, 11:57 PM

So you could blow your entire wealth on a single magic item? Hmm... you might want to look into an item of Giant Size(com arc). He's probably going to go for either a grappling or tripping build. This way, you can just laugh at him with your ridiculous size and str bonus. If you can't afford giant size, get expansion(augmented if possible). Huge isn't as good, but it's still pretty damn impressive.

awa
2009-12-12, 01:40 AM
orc does not appear to be an option.
Which class in each of these fights are you

awa
2009-12-12, 01:41 AM
edit
double post

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-12, 01:45 AM
More seriously, I would find out what it is he thinks the monk is supposed to be best at and then beat him at it. If the answer is anything other than "staying alive" you should be able to find sufficient feats and items to best him at his own game. If it *is* staying alive, crushing him into chunky salsa should prove the point (and since he'll be dead and you won't, you'll have beat him at staying alive anyway.)This. Grappling? IUS/Imp Grapple+Rage. Movement? Boots of Speed. Damage? HAH! # of attacks? Boots of Speed+Pounce.

awa
2009-12-12, 01:48 AM
if you really want to show him up use the bane,Axiomatic on spiked gauntlets and punch him to death.