PDA

View Full Version : My group wants a cleric

noiadodh
2009-12-11, 11:44 PM
you wont believe guys, my DM want me to build, with any, any wotc book allowed, a lvl 20 cleric healer :smallbiggrin:

i dont want to dissapoint the other players (they doesnt know much about optimization), so whats the most cheesy cleric build that wont take the spotlight too much?

Mando Knight
2009-12-11, 11:50 PM
Prepare Vigor spells. Never prepare Cure. Buff the party rather than just yourself, and don't use the Divine Metamagic cheese except to persist Mass Vigor on you and your allies.

erikun
2009-12-11, 11:51 PM
Persist Spell
Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
Chain Spell
Divine Metamagic (Chain Spell)
Extra Turning, several times

Now you can take all your buff spells that aren't personal and apply them to the whole party, for the whole day. If you want, replace Extra Turning with buying Nightsticks, although your DM will probably ban them quickly that way.

Heal is a good healing spell, as is the Vigor line, if you want to try actual healing. :smalltongue:

noiadodh
2009-12-11, 11:52 PM
so no to quickened miracles? :smalltongue:

Zincorium
2009-12-11, 11:55 PM
DMM persist (or even extend) the vigor line of spells will fulfill all the healing needs of the party if you use it well.

Key issue: because of the way healing spells work, the amount you heal will never exceed the amount of damage dealt to your party OR you don't need to cas healing spells, and instead should be dealing damage.

Thus: Pick healing domain. Memorize buffing spells so people don't get hurt in the first place.

Otherwise: Play CoDzilla and just destroy things before they hurt the people you are protecting.

noiadodh
2009-12-11, 11:58 PM
well.. i know that cleric is tier 1, but hes T1 when fully buffed and outshining any fighter or when using other spells?

erikun
2009-12-12, 12:00 AM
well.. i know that cleric is tier 1, but hes T1 when fully buffed and outshining any fighter or when using other spells?
Miracle, Gate, Implosion, Holy Word, Destruction. Cleric can kick magical behind when they want to.

Kantolin
2009-12-12, 12:22 AM
A couple feats that help with healing itself, however, if you do want to go that route, are Augment Healing(Complete Divine) and Magic of the Land(Races of the Wild).

The former is by a lot the most useful; it adds +2 per spell level of the healing spell utilized.

The latter does the same thing, but requires you to make a knowledge(nature) check in order to have it work. At level 20, however, the check is functionally irrelevant if you max your knowledge(nature).

The other thing I'd suggest is to use the spell Healing Spirit (PHB2, Level 4), or Darts of Life (Complete Champion, Level 5). These two both give you multiple rounds of healing while you're focused on something else - this results in a surprising amount of healing when you've got both effects in there (Each dose of healing spirit heals for 1d8+16, each dart heals for 1d8+20). Then you can use multiple darts in one round if you absolutely must, but getting a pair of healing spirits up is enough for a lot of unoptimized parties. Importantly, the latter spell (Darts of life) heals for more than the spell 'heal' if you fire all 10 at once.

Beyond that, you can go to town with whatever you want. Divine metanonsense, power attack, quicken spell, whatever. That should be enough on the 'healing' aspect even for high levels in a typical unoptimized party.

Jack_Simth
2009-12-12, 12:34 AM
If you want to not take the spotlight, but be a massive boon to the party, you want:

1) Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) (Complete Divine and Complete Arcane): Keystone, make your buffs last all day.
2) Extra turning (all spare feats) (Core): So you can use DMM(PS) a lot.
3) Nightsticks (Libris Mortis) (lots): Gives you more turn attempts for DMM(PS)
4) Ring of Enduring Arcana (Complete Mage, maybe Complete Arcane, I forget which): Makes your spells harder to dispel
5) Strand of Prayer Beads (Core, for the Bead of Karma): Gives you a boosted caster level ... which makes your spells harder to dispel.
6) Orange Prism Ioun Stone (Core): Boosts your caster level: Which makes your spells harder to dispel.

As for the spells:
Vigorous Circle Spell Compendium: Fast Healing 3.
Holy Aura PHB: Lots of defensive nifties; look it up.
Heroes' Feast PHB: Lots of defensive nifties; look it up.
Recitation Spell Compendium: +2 (+3, if you can convert the other players) Luck to lots of stuff.
Elation Book of Exalted Deeds: +5 foot move, +2 Dex/Str.
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful Spell Compendium: Attack/damage bonuses, plus an extra attack as per haste.

DMM(Persist): Vigorous Circle, Holy Aura, Recitation, Elation, and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.
Extend: Heroes' Feast, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments.

Spam them over the party, and the party WIZARD can keep up in melee compared to an unbuffed fighter. Without expending his own spells.

Oh yes, and they all affect you, too. Buff the entire party lots. Expect your DM to throw a lot of dispells your way, so keep enough turn attempts in reserve to power DMM(Persist) a few more times, and keep a few spare copies of some of the more key spells.

Ranos
2009-12-12, 12:36 AM
Persist vigorous circle with some divine metamagic. Now, everyone in the party heals 3HP per round for the whole day, which takes care of healing. You can now proceed to kick ass.

Edit : Looks like I'm way late with that one.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-12, 03:05 AM
I, as i do for all questions on healing, suggest a Eldritch Disciple, with healing essence.

Win from a health returned per round perspective, but not really optimized

Grumman
2009-12-12, 06:25 AM
How about taking 3 levels in Crusader? You'll be able to pick up all of the Devoted Spirit healing maneuvers up to 6th level, while still getting 9th level spells. That way you can provide the healing they seem to expect, without just sitting there like a healing vending machine.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-12, 06:36 AM
Domains should be Healing and Business/commerce. Set up the first HMO.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-12, 07:13 AM
Amulet of Retributive Healing. Deals any healing you do to yourself as well. Not so useful ince CxW spells turned out to be pants, but if it comes to an emergency where you have to use one, then you might as well heal yourself as well.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-12, 07:50 AM
Amulet of Retributive Healing. Deals any healing you do to yourself as well. Not so useful ince CxW spells turned out to be pants, but if it comes to an emergency where you have to use one, then you might as well heal yourself as well.
I can guess from context and common perceptions on the Cure X Wounds line of spells, but that is a very intriguing idiom.
Please explain.

Eldariel
2009-12-12, 07:56 AM
Persistent Vigorous Circle is by far the best Healing. Other than that, few Heals/Mass Heals around helps, of course. If you have a way to apply Reach Spell for free (such as the one-level dip in Hierophant), Chain Heal can be accomplished with a Rod on a 6th level slot.

Of course, Revivify also ensures that even if people die, they don't really. And yeah, just go to town with team buffs and perhaps a few solo buffs (Divine Power, Righteous Might, Giant Size [Spell Compendium; gain through Miracle], Bite of the Werebear [Spell Compendium; gain through Miracle]) persisted. And of course, pack enough magical mojo to blast the world into oblivion. Holy Word-line is pretty nice with CL boosters.

Simple Ankh of Ascension [MiC]/Beads of Karma/Orange Prism Ioun Stone/Create Magical Tattoo [Spell Compendium] (get a CL 13 Eternal Wand of that) sees you at 10 CLs above your character level; plenty to make the spells excellent.

taltamir
2009-12-12, 08:28 AM
if your DM doesn't allow persistant vigorous cycle (you regenerate health every single round... for the next 24 hours). Then you can try for the reserve feat Touch of Healing.
It allows you to at will heal 3 HP per level of your highest prepared "conjuration [healing]" spell up to half the target's HP. (restoration spell is also conjuration [healing]).

So if your highest level remaining healing spell is lesser restoration at level 2. You can heal 6 points of damage at will (standard action), up to half the target's HP.

Thing is... a cleric doesn't NEED to be a healbot, he has enough spells per day. Even if you do get the right feats and ability to heal VERY well, you soon run out of things to invest into healing and must take things like "save or die" or "uberbuffs" spells.

Leon
2009-12-12, 09:27 AM
Radiant Servant of Pelor

Myrmex
2009-12-12, 09:38 AM
DMM persist (or even extend) the vigor line of spells will fulfill all the healing needs of the party if you use it well.

Key issue: because of the way healing spells work, the amount you heal will never exceed the amount of damage dealt to your party OR you don't need to cas healing spells, and instead should be dealing damage.

Thus: Pick healing domain. Memorize buffing spells so people don't get hurt in the first place.

Otherwise: Play CoDzilla and just destroy things before they hurt the people you are protecting.

DMM: Chain Spell with Chain Heal.

noiadodh
2009-12-12, 11:34 AM
and for the race, human or aasimar?

Mythestopheles
2009-12-12, 11:40 AM
A couple feats that help with healing itself, however, if you do want to go that route, are Augment Healing(Complete Divine) and Magic of the Land(Races of the Wild).

The former is by a lot the most useful; it adds +2 per spell level of the healing spell utilized.

I've been wondering for a while, how does Augment Healing interact with the vigor line? They are healing spells, is it just a flat +2 bonus?

and for the race, human or aasimar?

I'd say human, Aasimar isn't worth the level lost in my view.

erikun
2009-12-12, 11:55 AM
I can guess from context and common perceptions on the Cure X Wounds line of spells, but that is a very intriguing idiom.
Please explain.
Pardon?

The Cure Wounds spells are not ideal, no. Cure Light Wounds heals a maximum of 1d8+5 damage, at level 5. Cure Serious Wounds tops out at 3d8+15, at level 15. A CR 5 creature (say, Air Elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm)) can deal 2d6+2 damage twice a round, while a CR 15 creature (let's say a Purple Worm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/purpleWorm.htm) or two) hits twice for around 2d8+9 each. Most of the time, you're lucky if the Cure Wounds spell heals the damage the fighter took last round - frequently, it heals less.

Healing is a bit better out of combat, when nothing is knocking HP out of you. However, the Vigor line heals more overall and if you're sitting around anyways, taking a 2-3 minute break to get the full healing doesn't hurt at much.

Kylarra
2009-12-12, 12:03 PM
I'd say human, Aasimar isn't worth the level lost in my view.Could always go Lesser Aasimar. +2 wis/cha is worth the feat imo.

Mythestopheles
2009-12-12, 12:05 PM
Could always go Lesser Aasimar. +2 wis/cha is worth the feat imo.

Didn't realize there was a Lesser Aasimar. Where's it from? Either way, I agree.

Kylarra
2009-12-12, 12:12 PM
Didn't realize there was a Lesser Aasimar. Where's it from? Either way, I agree.PgtF, basically they're the equivalent of Aasimar, but are humanoid instead of outsiders.

Kantolin
2009-12-12, 03:34 PM
I've been wondering for a while, how does Augment Healing interact with the vigor line? They are healing spells, is it just a flat +2 bonus?

I always saw it relatively unfavorably. It doesn't 'heal you again', it just grants you fast healing.

So when you cast vigor (3rd level spell), you'd grant the person fast healing 3 and immediately heal them for 6 with augment healing (Or 12 with magic of the land). Then every round after, they'd just have the fast healing 3 with no other 'kickers' on it.

(Kickers can include imbued healing, or healing lorecall, or things like that. Those tend to help out a lot when you're focusing on spells-that-heal-over-multiple-rounds).

D Knight
2009-12-12, 03:58 PM
if you want a healer then look no farther than radient servant of palor. at 3rd you get empower healing for free later you get max for free then at cap u get both applied for free. then add on reach spell so now you heal at 30 ft from your friends