PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What does identifying a spell with Spellcraft let you do?

Lapak
2009-12-11, 11:54 PM
I was flipping through Complete Adventurer the other day, and noticed a side benefit to a feat I hadn't paid much attention to before: in addition to its main feature, Disguise Spell makes it flat-out impossible to identify an affected spell with a Spellcraft check, even if someone succeeds in noticing the spell being cast. So an opponent can't know what you're doing exactly, unless the result is obvious. But aside from information, what mechanical options are you denying them? Obviously, this makes it impossible to use a Counterspell action except with Dispel Magic - is there anything else?

jmbrown
2009-12-11, 11:58 PM
It does what you just said: makes it impossible to know what spell is being cast which has all sorts of unpleasant side effects. You wouldn't know if the fighter protecting you was hit by charm person or dominate, for example.

cZak
2009-12-12, 12:13 AM
It also potentially negates any Illusory (non-shadow based) effect you might create.

This always seemed a rather debilitating effect for illusionists. A simple spellcraft check and call out to your party members, "Its an illusion' and thereby giving them a +4 bonus to save.:smallannoyed:

jiriku
2009-12-12, 11:19 AM
There's considerable tactical value in knowing what spell your opponent has just cast.

For example, say you hit your target with fireball. He casts a spell, which you identify as resist energy (fire). Now you know to either switch to a different energy type or cast dispel magic on him.

erikun
2009-12-12, 11:24 AM
Counterspelling, identifying illusions, identifying spells with no immediate effect (invisible summons, charming another target), and bluffing. Identifying buffs can also be important. I think the biggest feature is identifying illusions, since they are defeated so easily once your opponent knows it's an illusion.

Magnor Criol
2009-12-12, 11:46 AM
I still don't think Disguise Spell is worth the feat slot, though.

PinkysBrain
2009-12-12, 11:58 AM
This always seemed a rather debilitating effect for illusionists.
Some of them do more damage if you disbelieve ;)

ericgrau
2009-12-12, 11:59 AM
I still don't think Disguise Spell is worth the feat slot, though.

Depends how much sneaky out of combat casting you do.

9mm
2009-12-12, 12:02 PM
also certian magical items trigger off a spell ID; like the ring of spell battle.