PDA

View Full Version : Seamill Murders IC

SlaadLord
2009-12-12, 02:06 PM
4th of the Sixth Month, Year 933 OCR (Of Common Reckoning)
Two hours past Noon

Seamill has, of late, been wrought with grief.

Five people are dead, slain in increasingly violent ways. The Sheriff needs help, and as such has approached you all with a plea for aid. Now, at noon, you meet in the town's jail and law office to discuss leads and tactics.

The sheriff is a sun-wrinkled man of middling height. His slim body and strong hands suggest that despite a relatively low rate of local crime, he keeps in shape somehow. His steel-grey hair and mustache lend an air of seriousness to his blocky visage, and his deep green eyes seem filled with sorrow as he regards you all. "Well, we all know why you're here. Gregor Spindle, the cooper, was the last one killed, and quite frankly, I'm running short on staff. I need your help." he pauses and surveys the group slowly. "Introductions first, though. My name is Harris. Gordon Harris. Appointed town sheriff of Seamill. Name yourselves, and your talents."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-12, 02:30 PM
Elicia the Thief (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7758)

Elicia looks around to the three intimidating men surrounding her and almost feels herself shrink away from them.

She moves closer to the only other female in the room. My... my name is Elicia Bakenshiel. I'm... I'm a single mother, just trying to make a living as best I can.

I, uh, I...... She doesn't really know what else to say. I mean, how do you say, "Hey, I've probably taken some food and gold from each of you for the past few months"?

She looks away, slightly embarrassed.

She is 5'5", slim build, and wearing a dirty brown peasant's dress. She has long dark brown hair, and deep blue eyes.

The sherriff brought her here while she was busy buying fresh veggies at the local market.

kirbsys
2009-12-13, 12:02 AM
Reordan, Cleric of Pelor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=172356)

Reordan glances over at the slim young woman to his side and smiles warmly. Though he notices that she feels uncomfortable he doesn't quite understand why.

Turning back to the sheriff he says, "I'm Reordan. I work for Pelor. My morning star is sturdy and my faith heals the hurt."

Reordan speaks tersely, and though he may come off as stand offish, really he is slightly embarrassed about his poor vocabulary and tendency to say something other than what he means.

He stands just over six foot, and is clad in well polished scale armor which is just visible under a tabard emblazoned with the symbol of the sun god. His shield, which is slung over his back, and his helm, which he carries under his arm, both carry the symbol of his deity as well.

Reordan was mid-prayer when the sheriff called upon him.

Spells for today:
0: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light
1: Comprehend Languages, Protection from Evil
Domain: Enlarge Person

Tyrael
2009-12-13, 05:04 AM
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6620/vimesvb6.jpg

Corporal Janus Shepard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=93363)

An armored older man steps smartly into the room, a lit cigar in his mouth wreathing smoke around the brim of his standard-issue guardsman's steel helmet. The official badge of the Seamill Watch gleams on the front of his breastplate, which shines a bit but is dented and scuffed enough that his armor's clearly been doing its job. A heavy wool cloak is thrown over one shoulder, and just underneath the cloak a sheathed longsword can be glimpsed. Over his back is a dull, plain shield and an unremarkable crossbow holstered beneath it. A truncheon hangs at his belt, as well as a small items pouch.

The man's grim eyes take in the rest of the room at a glance. Reaching a hand up, he removes his cigar and sticks it, still lit, in a small cranny under the brim of his helmet. Then he turns to the Sheriff and stands straight at attention, executing a chipper salute.

"Sir!" he barks, staring straight ahead. "Heard about Cooper, sir. I'm here to help any way I can. Corporal Shepard reporting, sir!"

Emlyn
2009-12-13, 10:43 PM
Cai (www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159190)

Cai is about average height and is dressed in dark robes. Her hawk familiar sits on her shoulder, observing each person in the room with a quiet intensity.

Cai smiles shyly at the other women as she moves closer towards her.
Surveying the rest of the room, she can't blame her. It was madness that she had even agreed to help out. But she was the one spell-caster in the village who couldn't find steady employment. Sure there were odd jobs every now and then, some even payed quiet well, but she couldn't find regular employment. Yet here was an opportunity to actually make something of herself in this village.

With a sigh, Cai says, "My name's Cai and I happen have the unfortunate luck that I'm the one magic user who actually could use this job."

SlaadLord
2009-12-13, 11:15 PM
"Well then. I'm sure you know why you're here: to track down the person who killed these people. Our only lead thus far is the bodies themselves, so I'll take you to go see them." The sheriff walks out the door, saying as he passes Janus, "At ease. This ain't the army, so you don't have to go and act like it."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-13, 11:39 PM

Elicia, eager to get this over with, quickly steps in behind Sherriff Harris. How long do you think this will take? I have to get home to Eileen.

kirbsys
2009-12-13, 11:57 PM
Reordan follows the sheriff as he walks out the door, keeping silent.

SlaadLord
2009-12-14, 07:31 PM
Harris eyes Elicia. "I think not too long, although you should be more concerned with the business at hand if you want this job."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-14, 09:01 PM

Elicia looks to the floor submissively. Y-yes sir.

Tyrael
2009-12-15, 03:13 AM
"Yessir." Corporal Shepard relaxes and follows the Sheriff out the door as well.

Emlyn
2009-12-15, 07:57 AM
Cai reluctantly follows along. The sooner this was over with the better.

SlaadLord
2009-12-15, 10:54 AM
The sheriff leads you all out into the main street, a cobblestone road bustling with activity. Making a sharp right, he leads you to the church of St. Cuthbert.

The church is made from stones quarried from the cliffs and hewn into rough shapes to fit together. Inside, the air is slightly heavier, and the cloying scent of incense lingers from the last funeral service. Six rows of wide wooden pews and lots of standing space allow for almost all of Seamill to attend services and meetings. Over a central pulpit facing the pews, a large iron cross in a circle dangles from the ceiling, a candle flickering at the center and at each end of the cross. He turns and tells you, "All right. Father Johansen should be with you in a few minutes, so I'm going to leave you to it. With any luck, we'll catch the bastard that did all of this." He turns and returns to the street, bearing back toward the law office.

kirbsys
2009-12-15, 12:16 PM
Reordan nods to the sheriff as he walks out the door. He begins looking around within the chapel, admiring the large stone building.

"Was the cooper killed here?" Reordan asks, to nobody in particular.

SlaadLord
2009-12-15, 12:26 PM
"No," a voice answers, "but he lies here now." From a door leading into the chapel steps a man who looks to be about sixty years old. He has a worn, wrinkled face and receding silvery hairline. His wrinkled hands seem worn but still strong, and he has a slightly stooped posture. He wears simple brown robes. It’s common knowledge that he is a ranking priest of St. Cuthbert, and resides in a small home next to the church. He says to you all, "My name is Father Johansen. I assume you are the posse the sheriff has put together? I have the victims in here, if you would like to look, but be wary-it is not a sight for the fainthearted."

Emlyn
2009-12-15, 12:28 PM
"That does not bother me in the least, lead on." Cai says coldly. After what happened in her village, how bad could it be?

Lex-Kat
2009-12-15, 01:20 PM

Elicia places her hands over her mouth. She looks like she may be getting sick, just thinking about looking at dead people.

Tyrael
2009-12-15, 02:45 PM
Shepard nods gravely. "I'm Corporal Shepard of the Seamill Watch. We'll soon get to the bottom of this, Father Johansen. Just show us where is happened."

SlaadLord
2009-12-16, 10:55 AM
Those joining Father Johansen:
The Father leads you into a separate room, where five stone slabs bear bodies covered in sheets. "You may examine the bodies, but please handle them gently and with the respect they are due." The father goes to stand in the center of the room.

Those that remain in the chapel:
It is a chapel, like you might expect in any church.

kirbsys
2009-12-16, 07:00 PM
Reordan takes a quick glance at the bodies, but recognizes that he has little expertise here. He then casts detect magic to look for any lingering auras or the like.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-16, 09:11 PM

Elicia decides to go in, maybe her keen eyes will something the others won't notice.

[roll0] Body 1
[roll1] Body 2
[roll2] Body 3
[roll3] Body 4
[roll4] Body 5

Tyrael
2009-12-16, 11:18 PM
Corporal Shepard reaches into his pocket and pulls out a notebook. Rifling through it, he uncorks a self-contained inkpen and opens to a new page. Approaching the priest, he asks, "Father Johansen, do you know anything about the events that led up to the deaths of these people? Where were the bodies found? Have you examined the wounds at all? Do they have any identification? Where were you at the time of their death?"

Emlyn
2009-12-16, 11:20 PM
Cai feels thoroughly out of place as quiet frankly she has nothing new to offer as the cleric has already cast detect magic. Well at least I still get paid... She leans up against a wall and waits to see what happens.

SlaadLord
2009-12-17, 12:46 AM
Reorden:
There is no magic lingering about the bodies.

Elicia:
You find nothing in or on the bodies but their trousers.

He looks oddly at Corporal Sheperd for a moment, but shrugs and says, "I don't know anything about these deaths. The bodes just started appearing one morning and they haven't really stopped since. They were found all over the place, but two were down on the docks. They were sailors, I think. The wounds were caused in some cases by a blade and in others by what looks to be a spiked chain. They bear no identification, but I know their faces. I myself was either here in the church or in my home at the times of death, I would guess."

Tyrael
2009-12-17, 03:25 AM
Shepard writes this all down very carefully in his notebook. In the same businesslike tone, he continues, "So you knew these people? Were you acquainted with them personally? Do you have witnesses that can corroborate your presence here? Do you know if these people have any family or friends that we can speak to?"

Lex-Kat
2009-12-17, 08:06 PM
Elicia decides to find a place to sit, since Shepherd seems to be doing a stand-up job of questioning the priest.

kirbsys
2009-12-18, 02:26 AM
After the first few questions Reordan begins to get visibly uncomforatable."The man is a servant of Saint Cuthbert, why are you questioning him like a street rat?"

Tyrael
2009-12-18, 03:08 AM
Shepard glances dismissively at Reordan. "Just doing my job. As part of this investigation, we need to know everything we can from everybody we can if we want to bring these men to justice."

SlaadLord
2009-12-18, 02:09 PM
Johansen nods at Reordan. "I'm grateful for your concern, but the Corporal is doing his job. I would be insulted if he did any less. Now, to your questions. I try to get to know everyone in my church, so yes, you might say I was acquainted to the victims. I have no witnesses to say I was here, I'm afraid, but I swear upon the Iron Cross of Cuthbert I was nowhere but here or in my home. As for friends and family, none of the dead were married except for these two, Selina and Jacob Widler. They had a child, William, and I think he spends much of his time in the Leaky Hull Tavern."

Tyrael
2009-12-18, 06:50 PM
Shepard nods again, carefully noting down the names and entering "Iron Cross of Cuthbert" as the priest's confirming witness. "Thank you, Father Johansen," he says solemnly, tucking the notebook away. "You've been very helpful. If you think of anything else that might be useful, please don't hesitate to drop by the Sheriff's office." He tips his helmet to the priest. "Have a good day, Father."

Corporal Shepard then goes over to the bodies and watches examines them for anything suspicious on their pockets, fatal wounds, etc.

SlaadLord
2009-12-19, 01:22 PM
Corporal Sheperd:
They have nothing on them but a pair of simple trousers. Some of the murder wounds are quite ghastly, but you find nothing in or on the bodies.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-19, 07:24 PM
Elicia

So, where shall we go next? I suggest the Leaky Hull Tavern, to find this William.

Tyrael
2009-12-19, 09:47 PM
Corporal Shepard grunts in assent and fishes his cigar out from behind his ear, where he takes a long drag thoughtfully. He gives a smoky sigh and nods. "Agreed. This guy seems to be our only lead so far. Anyone know how to get to the Leaky Hull?"

Emlyn
2009-12-20, 02:07 AM
"Nope, never been there. Anyone else?"

Lex-Kat
2009-12-20, 10:22 AM

Elicia raises her hand. I've been there a few times.

My apartment is on the way. Can we make a quick stop?

Tyrael
2009-12-20, 01:08 PM
Shepard grunts and takes another drag on his cigar, then coughs and sticks it under the brim of his helmet again. "Fine by me. Lead on."

kirbsys
2009-12-21, 03:16 PM
Reordan nods in silent assent and follows Elicia. As they leave he looks to Johansen and says, "Thank you for your time Father, blessings of Pelor upon you."

SlaadLord
2009-12-21, 04:55 PM
Johansen nods back. "And the blessings of St. Cuthbert be upon you."

You exit the church and step onto the cobblestone street.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-22, 03:06 AM
Elicia quickly leads them to her home.

She makes sure not to lose any of them though. This job was too important. It was more money than she'd earned for a while. And she was not going to intentionally mess it up.

When she gets to her place, she unlocks the door, then turns to them. Um, come on in, I guess. Please, ignore the mess.

Tyrael
2009-12-22, 04:10 AM
Shepard remains standing outside, smoking his cigar and coolly waiting for her to finish her business.

Emlyn
2009-12-22, 07:44 AM
Cai contemplates for a second then heads inside behind her.

kirbsys
2009-12-22, 12:32 PM
Reordan waits outside with Shepard. After a few seconds of silence he turns to him and says, "Those bodies... who could do such a thing to another person?"

Tyrael
2009-12-22, 04:27 PM
Shepard shakes his head. "Plenty of people, and for plenty of reasons. Revenge, jealousy, competition, envy, a deal gone sour... People've been killing each other for thousands of years before we got here, and gods know we've gotten good at it. There's more reasons and ways to kill a man than there's stars in the sky."

He pauses and takes a thoughtful drag on his cigar.
"Spiked chain's a bit of an odd way to kill a man, but blades are common enough. Some people get real creative with it, too. I was once on a case tracking down a guy what people called the Swan Street Slicer. Up and down Swan Street, he'd prowl every night with naught but a dagger, but in the morning we'd find bodies butchered worse than a hog for slaughter."

Shepard moves the cigar to the other side of his mouth and stares into the distance, his face deadly still. "Eyes gouged out, bellies slit open, limbs cut off and stuck onto the wrong stumps, severed fingers clogging his throat, ears stuffed into the eye sockets, and ribs yanked open like a spider." His flinty eyes narrow angrily. "That was just one of the beggars. The man who owned the fish shop got it worse. Poor bastard who found him had nightmares for months."

The watchman sighs and knocks a bit of ash off his cigar. "There's real monsters out there in this town. Goblins and orcs and stuff, that's nothing. They just hit you or stab you and that's it. Civilized folk are worse than any troll on the road, 'cuz they've got imagination."

Shepard takes another drag on his cigar and glowers darkly at something only he can see, falling silent.

Emlyn
2009-12-22, 06:13 PM
Cai glances around the house in no particular fashion. "So, this is your house?" she asks.

kirbsys
2009-12-22, 07:43 PM
Reordan is silent for a moment or two, rather disturbed by the thought of corpses so mutilated. When he speaks again he says, "Your job must be terrible... Still someone's gotta do it, and this time I guess it's us. We'll drag this murderer out from the darkness into Pelor's purifying light."

Tyrael
2009-12-22, 08:29 PM
Shepard grunts in assent and exhales a cloud of smoke. "Hrmph. Damn right."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-22, 09:25 PM

The main room of the apartment is very sparse, with only a single worn out chair near the door facing the only window. A table that's missing most of one leg. The opposite end of the table has a rope tied through the top, that leads to a big rock with a hole cut through the middle.

In one corner there is a pile of laundry that might be the clean clothes, or maybe not. And scattered through the rest of the room is various small trinkets and toys.

Elicia is in the other room.

Cai glances around the house in no particular fashion. "So, this is your house?" she asks.
Yes. Um, I'll be out in a moment. she calls out.

Now Mommies gonna be out for a while. Just remember, don't let anyone in, unless it's Mrs. Oples.

Yes, Momma. her daughter, Eileen can possibly be heard saying back.

Moments later, Elicia steps out, looking a little prettier. Cai might note that she's wearing a little make-up now. Gotta keep up appearances, ya know. she smiles at the other woman.

Emlyn
2009-12-22, 10:07 PM
Cai smiles back and says, "It's a nice little place you have hear. I hope we can finish this soon so you can get back to your daughter."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-22, 10:13 PM
Thanks. She blushes slightly. Come on, we shouldn't keep the guys waiting. She opens the door for Cai. After locking up, will head back out.

SlaadLord
2009-12-23, 02:32 PM
You all exit back onto the cobblestone street and proceed toward the massive stone stairway carved into the cliffs that lead down to the docks. The smell of brine grows stronger as you move closer to the ocean, mixed with the smell of fish. The docks themselves are constructed of ancient hardwood, supported by stone and wood pillars sunken deep into the sand and surf below.

The fishermen are almost all out on the ocean, it being the height of the day. Only a few men wander about, most in the vicinity of the Leaky Hull tavern.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-23, 07:24 PM

Elicia turns to Shepherd. So, how do want to play this? Go in seperately and ask around?

Tyrael
2009-12-24, 12:18 AM
Shepard considers for a moment, and then nods. "Some people don't react kindly to attention from the Watch. Flash a badge at a man and he instantly starts thinking of everything he's done wrong recently and wondering if I know about it. Go in, find him if you can, get him talking. I'll join you in a few minutes once he's distracted."

Emlyn
2009-12-24, 12:24 AM
"I'll go in with her. People tend to be more talkative around us ladies. Besides, I'm sure you could use the company right?"

kirbsys
2009-12-24, 02:42 AM
"My armour and shield will stick out like a sore thumb too. Guess I'm with Sheppard again."

Lex-Kat
2009-12-24, 05:47 PM

Elicia smiles to Cai. Just us ladies then. She goes to wrap her arm around Cai's waste and walk her in.

As soon as she walks through the door, she puts on a smile and says with a laugh, It's the third rustler's turn. He looks to the mob ans says, "Could y'all do me a favor and tighten the noose a bit. I can't swim." She gives it a good laugh, hoping Cai will too.

She gives the place a good look, hoping to recognize William.

[roll0]

If not, she'll look for one of the regulars of the Tavern. She comes here frequently, for jobs.

Spot to look for one of the Regulars she knows.

[roll1]

Emlyn
2009-12-24, 09:43 PM
Cai laughs as well then says, "My, were do you come up with these stories? You're going to kill me at this rate!" Still giggling Cai looks around the bar getting an idea of what type of place it is. She's never been here and hopes that Elicia see's whoever they are looking for.

SlaadLord
2009-12-24, 11:03 PM
Elicia and Cai:
The Leaky Hull is, despite its name, a well-kept tavern, with worn wooden furniture, a polished stone bar, and walls covered with the mounted heads of especially large fish and sharks. Two customers with the burly bodies and sea-tanned skin of sailors share a table. A disheveled man reeking of booze sits at the bar. Only a single bartender and serving girl staff the tavern.

Elicia:
Knowledge (Local): William Widler is sitting alone at the bar, with three empty tankards in front of him. He looks to be pretty drunk and judging by his unshaven face and filthy, matted hair he's been here a while.

Spot: You don't see any of your normal contacts, as it is the middle of the day and not quite standard rush hours for a tavern catering mostly to fishermen.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-25, 04:55 PM

Elicia gives Cai a little squeeze, then nods toward William. There he is. Looks as if he's been here awhile.

She releases Cai and walks over to William. Hello good sir. She rubs up against him ever so slightly. Buy a lady a drink? She gives the bartender a smile and a wink.

She's going to attempt to Appraise just how drunk he is.

[roll0]

If you think any of these skills would be more appropriate to use, remove 3 from the final result. They are all +2 modifiers.

Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, or Sense Motive.

SlaadLord
2009-12-26, 04:08 PM
Elicia:
I think Sense Motive would be most appropriate, so we'll say that's what you rolled. He looks pretty drunk. He turns to you, red-eyed, and asks blearily, "Do I know you?"

Emlyn
2009-12-27, 01:40 PM
Cai sits down on the other side of the man and listens in.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-27, 02:59 PM

Elicia smiles at William. Not yet, sweetie. But I'm sure we can change that, can't we?

She turns to the bartender. Give me what he's having, and one for my friend. she nods so that it's obvious she means Cai.

She will pay whatever the drinks are worth.

Tyrael
2009-12-27, 03:20 PM
I haven't been posting because I didn't think there was anything for me to post without metagaming. But since the DM is threatening to kick me out, I'll post.

Corporal Shepard
The grizzled guardsman lounges outside the tavern, staring at the horizon and waiting for enough time for their quarry to be found.

kirbsys
2009-12-27, 04:42 PM
Pretty much the same here.

Reordan stands outside the tavern with Sheppard, waiting for a sign from either of the two women within.

SlaadLord
2009-12-29, 01:14 AM
Elicia and Cai:

The bartender nods and pours the two of you tankards from a large, tapped barrel behind him. "That'll be a gold piece for the two of ya."

William looks blearily at you. "I 'preciate th' thought, but m'parents just got murdered an' I'm not much in th' mood fer comp'ny." He manages to slur out at you.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-30, 10:44 AM

Elicia distractedly tosses a gold coin to the bartender. Oh, I'm so sorry. She places a hand on his. Do they have any suspects? How did it happen? She sounds sympathetic.

SlaadLord
2009-12-30, 12:00 PM
Elicia and Cai:

He shakes his head and looks back at Elicia. "I dunno anything 'bout th' investigation, but I hope they catch th' bastard." He downs another drink.

Emlyn
2009-12-30, 12:39 PM
Cai continues to let Elicia talk and waits to see where things lead.

Tyrael
2009-12-30, 03:11 PM
Shepard continues waiting outside.

Lex-Kat
2009-12-30, 04:08 PM

So, what's your name?

SlaadLord
2009-12-30, 05:24 PM
Elicia and Cai:
"My name's Will Widler."

Tyrael
2010-01-01, 07:22 PM

Lex-Kat
2010-01-01, 07:42 PM

Will, we would like to help find this killer. Would you be willing to get sobered up and talk to some friends of mine?

[roll0]

kirbsys
2010-01-01, 10:06 PM
Reordan waits outside some more with Sheppard.

SlaadLord
2010-01-02, 05:36 PM
William shrugs. "'S better than drinking m'days away." He staggers off the bar stool and out of the tavern before you can say a word. The barkeep looks expectantly at you.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-02, 05:40 PM

What?? She already paid him his coin. Cai, help young Will here get outside.

She turns to the barkeep, remaining seated. Do you have any information you'd like to share? she asks, keeping her voice low, but not to that of a whisper.

Tyrael
2010-01-02, 06:10 PM

SlaadLord
2010-01-02, 06:54 PM
"I don't know anything about them murders, ma'am. Now, your friend just staggered on out of here without paying..."

William staggers out of the bar and looks around. Spotting Corporal Sheperd, he says, "Lady in there says I oughts sober up so's I can help ya out with th' investigation 'r somesuch."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-02, 07:13 PM

Eliica sighs. How much does he owe? She asks, hoping it's not too much.

SlaadLord
2010-01-02, 07:14 PM
"Just 2 gold. He always pays at the end of the day..."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-02, 07:18 PM

She takes two gold coins out and places them on the bar. She then takes Cai's drink and drinks it down before leaving, a bit of sway in her hips.

Emlyn
2010-01-02, 07:47 PM
Cai quickly follows William out of the bar. Turning to her companions, "Apparently he is our best lead."

Tyrael
2010-01-02, 11:06 PM
Shepard tucks his cigar back inside his helmet and turns to the sodden man. Pulling out his notebook and flipping through it, he asks, "Are you William Wilder?"

SlaadLord
2010-01-03, 01:05 AM
The drunk man regards you for a moment, then replies, "Yessir, I'm Will Widler. You with the nice women inside?"

Tyrael
2010-01-03, 04:57 AM
Not directly answering the question, Shepard replies, "We're conducting an investigation into your parents' murders and were hoping you could help us with a few inquiries. When was the last time you saw your parents alive, and what were they doing?"

SlaadLord
2010-01-03, 01:33 PM
The man peers closely at Sheperd. "Last time I saw 'em wuz th' day they wuz kill'd. They wuz at home, that night, an' I wuz visitn' fer dinner. We had tuna an' bread an' when we wuz done, I left an' went home."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-03, 01:57 PM

About what time did you leave? Elicia asks as she walks out.

SlaadLord
2010-01-03, 11:07 PM
"Jes' after th' sun went down..." He's swaying slightly on his feet and people are giving you curious looks.

Emlyn
2010-01-04, 12:16 PM
Cai notices the strange looks and says, "Perhaps we should do this elsewhere? Maybe away from the random passerby's?

Lex-Kat
2010-01-04, 12:37 PM

Agreed. Elicia tries to slip her arm around Will's waist and begin leading him to her home. Because it's closer.

Tyrael
2010-01-04, 12:50 PM
Shepard purses his lips disapprovingly, but he can't argue with the sense their decision makes. He gives a curt nod, flipping his notebook closed and following the rest of the group.

kirbsys
2010-01-04, 10:26 PM
Reordan keeps silent for the moment, keeping track of everything that's said, and follows the others to Elicia's house.

SlaadLord
2010-01-04, 11:06 PM
You all proceed back up the cliffside and make your way back to Elicia's apartment. Will follows you placidly up the hill, staggering a little on even the mostly even ground. It quickly becomes apparent he's quite drunk.

SlaadLord
2010-01-06, 11:50 AM
As you all make you way back to the clifftop, nobody seems around or willing t give you a second glance. You make it back to Elicia's apartment without incident.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-06, 03:58 PM

Elicia leads them all into her home. Sit anywhere, gentlemen. Would anyone like some coffee? She goes to the kitchen to brew the last of her coffee.

Emlyn
2010-01-06, 04:24 PM
Cai follows her into the kitchen and says, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Lex-Kat
2010-01-06, 04:38 PM

Depends on how many of them want coffee. Elicia smiles.

SlaadLord
2010-01-06, 04:47 PM
There's a drunken shout of "I WAN' SOME COFFEE!" from the other room.

Tyrael
2010-01-07, 05:28 PM
Shepard nods and calls into the kitchen, "Black, please."

Following that, he flips open his notebook, quenches his cigar, sits down in front of William and says, "Now then, Mr. Wilder. Please tell me everything you can remember about the night of your parents' murder."

SlaadLord
2010-01-07, 06:21 PM
"Well," he starts, "I wuz at my parent's house havin' dinner after a long day o' workin' on th' ocean. I'm a fisherman by trade, y'see. So I get off th' ship, go back to m'parents house an' we have some dinner together an' chat about things until s'dark outside. I sed m'goodbyes an' headed home musta been an hour'r two after sunset. I whittled sum in front o' th' fire an' then I went to sleep. Nex' thing I know, sumone's poundin' on m'door yellin that m'parents been kill'd." He looks aggrieved and begins to sob quietly toward the end of his story.

Tyrael
2010-01-07, 06:31 PM
Shepard keeps his tone calm as he asks, "Do you know of anyone who might have reason to dislike your parents? Did your father make any enemies? Did he owe anyone money?"

SlaadLord
2010-01-07, 07:00 PM
Will looks at you blankly a minute through watery eyes, then says: "Th' only people might have a problem with m'dad are th' other fishermen, but I can't picture any o'them actually takin' his life over it...He always had one of th' best places to go fishin'. They wuz jealous o' him, see. But they've known 'im 'is whole life, I don' think any o' them would kill 'im..."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-07, 07:22 PM

Elicia hands Cai two cups of coffee. Here, take these to them. Do want any? They are both black, since William didn't ask for anything in his.

She turns and starts pouring a third cup for herself.

Emlyn
2010-01-08, 05:42 PM
Cai carefully takes the two cups and politely declines any. She comes into the room and serves each person their coffee and takes a seat.

SlaadLord
2010-01-09, 04:22 PM
"Thanks, miss...er...Miss...?" He seems at a loss for words as he looks at you. He gingerly sips the black coffee, then takes a giant gulp of the scalding brew. He grimaces, then straightens up. "Nothin' like a good cup o' the brew to sober a man up."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-10, 01:40 AM

Elica comes out and sits down with her own cup of coffee. Could we get their names, so we can look into them, just to eliminate them as suspects?

Tyrael
2010-01-10, 02:02 AM
Shepard nods, taking notes.

SlaadLord
2010-01-10, 11:11 AM
"Actually," he says, taking another gulp of coffee, "I think that one of the other victims was one of his competitors. Prescott Derrick was a salty old bastard, but damn if 'e wasn't a good fisherman. Was always jealous of Dad. But 'e's dead, so that don't do you any good. Cyrus Wells and Ken Slighter're the two others I can think of. Cyrus is a bit...strange, if y'catch my meaning. Has strange ways. That's all the folk I can think of, though."

Emlyn
2010-01-10, 11:35 AM
"Any idea where we could find them?"

SlaadLord
2010-01-12, 07:13 PM
"Should both be out on the sea by now, but I see them in the Leaky Hull most nights." He takes another gulp of the coffee, grimaces, and places the mug on the table, empty.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-13, 04:55 AM

Thank you, William. Guess we're going back to the Leaky Hull tonight then? Elicia looks to her companions for their opinions.

Emlyn
2010-01-13, 08:06 AM
"Well it's our only lead so I'd assume so."

Tyrael
2010-01-13, 02:32 PM
Shepard nods gravely. "Thank you for your help, Mr. Wilder. If you think of anything else relevant to the investigation, please don't hesitate to stop by the sheriff's office at your earliest convenience."

SlaadLord
2010-01-13, 02:57 PM
"If I remember anything else, I'll let y'all know." He stands. "Thanks very much for the coffee. I think I'm gonna go sit on the docks a while and think on some things." He makes a more or less straight line for the door and leaves.

SlaadLord
2010-01-13, 06:50 PM
As he exits, Father Johansen pushes past him and enters. "I'm very sorry to barge in like this, but I've had a revelation about the bodies that I think I should warn you about. Some of the corpses bore spiked chain wounds and some slash marks from a bladed weapon, but I failed to notice that two of the bodies had both kinds of wounds." He looks grave. "I suspect there is more than one murderer."

Lex-Kat
2010-01-14, 06:54 PM

Elicia stares at Father Johansen with shock. How'd he know where they were, and more importantly, where she lived. And why hadn't he knocked.~ thoughts

She frowns at that last thought. Thank you, Father. she says, keeping her tone even.

SlaadLord
2010-01-14, 07:07 PM
"Ahm." he says. "I'm sorry to barge into your home like this...the sheriff told me where you lived and I thought you should know this...I was going to leave this note," he holds up a parchment envelope, "but I saw young Mr. Widler leave and barged right on in. Can you forgive my lack of manners?"

Lex-Kat
2010-01-14, 07:53 PM

Gah!! Now he's reading my mind!! ~ thoughts.

Elicia smiles. It's alright father. The information was very important. I have some coffee left, would you like some? She turns and heads to the brewing coffee.

SlaadLord
2010-01-14, 08:05 PM
"Yes, thanks. I just thought it wise to notify you. So you wouldn't be surprised when you caught them."

Emlyn
2010-01-14, 08:37 PM
"So, we are looking for at least two murders now? Wonderful!" Cai says with an exasperated sigh.

Tyrael
2010-01-14, 08:38 PM
Shepard nods grimly. "Multiple murderers...lovely. We'll just have to hope that our leads turn up something useful. Thank you, Father."

SlaadLord
2010-01-14, 09:58 PM
"Of course." He nods grimly and turns to go.

Tyrael
2010-01-17, 04:54 AM
Assuming nobody else in the party objects, Shepard leads them back towards the Leaky Hull to follow up on their next lead.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-17, 05:09 PM

Elicia won't argue.

Emlyn
2010-01-17, 09:24 PM
As Cai has nothing better to do, she'll go along.

SlaadLord
2010-01-19, 11:29 AM
As you make your way back to the Leaky Hull, you see the sun has almost reached the horizon, and by its fading light, you see fishing boats of all size and description making port. The docks quickly become crowded, and many of the sailors make their way into the Leaky Hull.

As you re-enter the tavern, it becomes quickly apparent the extreme swings in business the place experiences. What was before a nearly empty room is now packed with people of all races. Many of them have worn, weather-beaten faces and squinted eyes from too many days on the sea looking out over the waves at the sun.

Tyrael
2010-01-19, 01:59 PM
Shepard steps inside, removing his guard helmet and quietly [roll0] around the tavern to see what he can find out about Cyrus Wells and Ken Slighter.

SlaadLord
2010-01-19, 03:31 PM
Tyrael:
Ken Slighter: More or less an upstanding citizen, makes an honest living for himself and his wife fishing. No criminal record. Owns the ship, Cassandra. He 's sitting at a table with a few other men.

Cyrus Wells: Owns a fishing ship, but also takes shipping contracts from time to time, freelancing for the Seamill Shipping Co. No criminal record, although he was once accused of smuggling. Owns the ship, Seahawk. He's sitting on the bar, close to the ovens.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-21, 03:46 AM

Elicia will take a seat in the corner, watching Capt. Shepherd mosey about.

She'll wait for his instructions, maybe chatter with Cai, if she sits with her.

esorscher
2010-02-27, 02:43 PM
Haverschuck (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=35177)

A youth of moderate height and build, handsome, lithe and lean, sits at a table playing cards. He is facing the door, and looks up at each new entry. As the bid comes to him, he casually runs a hair through loosely curled blond hair, then gazes around the table with blue eyes, reading the other players' faces. He lifted a few silver coins off of his stack and threw them into the pot.

"I'll raise."

Tyrael
2010-02-27, 02:54 PM
Captain Shepard leans against the wall, watching the youth appraisingly.

Lex-Kat
2010-02-27, 08:31 PM

Elicia sat at the bar, and when she turned to talk to Cai, was deeply saddened to see her newfound friend was not there.

With a little sadness, she turns and scans the room, looking for someone to talk to.

esorscher
2010-02-28, 12:36 PM
Haverschuck

The hand finishes; the man has lost. He stands up, shouldering his adventurers pack and looking around the table. "Fine playing with you, gentlemen." He takes the rest of his silver off the table, and walks over to the bar.

As he approaches, he flags down the bartender. "A pint, please." The bartender nods, and pours an amber liquid into a clay mug, then hands it to him. The man pays, and turns to the woman (Alicia) next to him. "Excuse me, is this seat taken?" he says, referring to the one recently vacated by Cai.

Lex-Kat
2010-02-28, 01:05 PM

Elicia gives Haverschuck a smile she hopes will entice him to stay. It is now. What's your name, sailor? She turns to give him the illusion of her full attention.

esorscher
2010-03-01, 02:31 AM
Haverschuck

"Oh, I'm not a sailor," he says, sitting down. "I'm Haverschuck. And what is it you do, miss...?" he allows his voice to trail off invitingly.

Lex-Kat
2010-03-03, 12:21 AM

I'm, um, between jobs. Elicia says, a little uncomfortable with the question.

((Neon Knight has PM'd me saying he's not playing. :smallfrown:))

justblade
2010-03-03, 01:07 AM
Jeth walks in through the door and sits himself down, his letter in his hand.

OOC Just placing myself for now and subscribing to the thread. My medcine's making me pass out on my computer here soon.

esorscher
2010-03-04, 02:53 PM
Haverschuck

He notes the man enter, but does not acknowledge him. "Ah, thats too bad. And I didn't catch your name?""

Lex-Kat
2010-03-04, 09:28 PM

Elicia. She smiles. Elicia Bakensheil. What kind of name is Haverschuck?

esorscher
2010-03-05, 11:35 AM
Haverschuck

"My father's, his father's and his father's before that. I am the latest in a long line of Haverschucks, though you probably haven't heard of any of them. They are not heroes, not in the classical sense." He returns the smile. "Elicia is a nice name. So tell me, what are you doing here on a night like this?"

Lex-Kat
2010-03-09, 07:21 PM

I'm looking for a man. She gives Haverschuck a wink and leans closer to him to give him a peak at her cleavage.

esorscher
2010-03-13, 07:57 PM
Haverschuck

Haverschuck nods, but doesn't take the bait. In fact, he's a little put off. "You and everyone else, I bet. A specific one, or just anyone who'll take a dip?"