PDA

View Full Version : Any way to use a 10ft weapon to attack adjacent opponents?

Talbot
2009-12-12, 05:27 PM
Topic, essentially. I have a character using a Dwarven Warpike and I was wondering if there were any way he could use it against adjacent opponents, even at like a -4 penalty or something. Is there a feat/spell/item/something else that'll let me do that?

Grumman
2009-12-12, 05:30 PM
I believe the Exotic Weapon Master can get this ability. There's also a feat in the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Temotei
2009-12-12, 05:31 PM
Topic, essentially. I have a character using a Dwarven Warpike and I was wondering if there were any way he could use it against adjacent opponents, even at like a -4 penalty or something. Is there a feat/spell/item/something else that'll let me do that?

I think there's a feat in Complete Warrior that allows you to switch from having 10' reach to 5' reach and back as a swift (I think...pretty sure) action. Personally, I dislike the feat, but it has its uses. I'll look it up later, because I don't have my books on me right now.

TheOOB
2009-12-12, 05:32 PM
If this is 3.5 we are talking about that feat short haft(from players handbook II) allows you to remove the reach property from a weapon as a swift action.

Moriato
2009-12-12, 05:33 PM
Short Haft from the PHB II. I don't have it with me right now, so I don't remember what (if any) the penalties for doing it are, but it lets you attack an adjacent enemy with your reach weapon.

Temotei
2009-12-12, 05:35 PM
Short Haft from the PHB II. I don't have it with me right now, so I don't remember what (if any) the penalties for doing it are, but it lets you attack an adjacent enemy with your reach weapon.

Yeah that's it. It takes a swift action. Almost positive on that. And you can only attack opponents either 5 feet away, or opponents 10 feet away. You can't do both at the same time. It's basically switching stances.

Boci
2009-12-12, 05:35 PM
Short Haft from players handbook will allow you to change between ajacent and non-adjacent targets as a swift action. Its in PHII and requires weapon focus and BAB +3.

Edit: Ninja'd. Here's the feat:
http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf page 36

Asheram
2009-12-12, 05:38 PM
Hmm..
Well, there Is the weapon modification in Races of the Wild.
"Blade, Close fighting" that you hide inside a hilt or haft of an existing weapon that is drawn as a free action. It's like a dagger, but you get a -2 on attack by it.

Kind of awful, but quite cool.

derfenrirwolv
2009-12-12, 05:40 PM
You can also just get unarmed strike, and kick or trip people that get in close to you

Darrin
2009-12-12, 05:43 PM
Short Haft from players handbook will allow you to change between ajacent and non-adjacent targets as a swift action. Its in PHII and requires weapon focus and BAB +3.

Edit: Ninja'd. Here's the feat:
http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf page 36

Shorten Grip (Dragon Compendium p. 108) is better. Doesn't require an action to use, and no annoying prereqs.

HCL
2009-12-12, 05:43 PM
Spiked gauntlets or spiked armor can work

or use it as an improvised regular halberd

AslanCross
2009-12-12, 05:44 PM
You can also just get unarmed strike, and kick or trip people that get in close to you

That provokes attacks of opportunity and doesn't really do much damage unless you're built for it. I'd only recommend that to someone playing a Warforged or who otherwise has natural weapons.

Boci
2009-12-12, 05:59 PM
Shorten Grip (Dragon Compendium p. 108) is better. Doesn't require an action to use, and no annoying prereqs.

Its on the same page as Short Haft and it does give you a -2 to hit, so the OP can decide which is better.

Signmaker
2009-12-12, 06:02 PM
Alternatively, take -4 and use the other end as an improvised weapon.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-12, 06:12 PM
I would just go with using a spiked gauntlet or armor spikes, as was noted above. You can let go of a 2-handed weapon with one hand as a free action to strike with it, if something comes within range, then use another free action to grab hold with both hands again.

You get the best part of the spiked chain without the chain (you still need the spikes, though).

Mongoose87
2009-12-12, 06:21 PM
Its on the same page as Short Haft and it does give you a -2 to hit, so the OP can decide which is better.

I'm a bit fan of that feat. -2 is not much to trade off in exchange for keeping my ability to control a wide area with AoOs.

On the topic of reach weapons, has anyone ever noticed that the PHB actually say reach weapons "double" your normal reach, not extend it by 5ft?

Boci
2009-12-12, 06:26 PM
On the topic of reach weapons, has anyone ever noticed that the PHB actually say reach weapons "double" your normal reach, not extend it by 5ft?

Yeah. Got to love willing deformity (tall)

herrhauptmann
2009-12-12, 08:35 PM
Yeah. Got to love willing deformity (tall)

Half ogre with willing deformity, 15ft reach. With a spiked chain or most polearms, 30ft :)

snoopy13a
2009-12-12, 08:52 PM
Here's some other options:

1) Take a 5' step backwards and attack.

2) Drop the reach weapon (free action that doesn't provoke AoO); Draw a backup weapon such as a greatsword (move action that doesn't provoke AoO); attack. This works ok if you are a low level (and thus full attack doesn't give you extra attacks) or if you have the quick draw feat.

Optimystik
2009-12-12, 08:55 PM
That provokes attacks of opportunity and doesn't really do much damage unless you're built for it. I'd only recommend that to someone playing a Warforged or who otherwise has natural weapons.

I think he meant getting Improved Unarmed Strike, which does not provoke AoOs. Though I agree that if he's going to spend a feat anyway, the PHB2 one might be a better choice.

Grumman
2009-12-12, 08:57 PM
2) Drop the reach weapon (free action that doesn't provoke AoO); Draw a backup weapon such as a greatsword (move action that doesn't provoke AoO); attack. This works ok if you are a low level (and thus full attack doesn't give you extra attacks) or if you have the quick draw feat.
A Least Crystal of Return is only 300 gp, so it's a bargain compared to the feat if you only need it for your emergency weapon.

AslanCross
2009-12-12, 09:38 PM
I think he meant getting Improved Unarmed Strike, which does not provoke AoOs. Though I agree that if he's going to spend a feat anyway, the PHB2 one might be a better choice.

Yeah, pretty much. At least that way he can deal 2-handed damage with his polearm instead of dealing damage as a light weapon. (The warforged gets a 2-handed strength bonus on its slam since it's the only natural weapon it has.)