PDA

View Full Version : Fighters using nets and tridents any good ?

Grifthin
2009-12-12, 06:14 PM
Well ? Are there any builds that use Nets + Spears or Tridents ? Are they any good ? Has anybody played a character like this ? What feats where good ?

Boci
2009-12-12, 06:15 PM
I assume you know of the style feat in complete warrior, right?

Grumman
2009-12-12, 06:24 PM
Not quite the same thing, but I've been thinking about a similar concept using a Light Cavalry scout and Hurling Charge to harpoon people then run them down with a lance. You could use the same tactic here to net and pounce on the charge.

Ernir
2009-12-12, 07:53 PM
Hmm. The only "special" thing I see about the Net and Trident style feat is that it seemingly allows you to take a 5' step even if you have already taken a 5' step that turn. So this could be used as a relatively far-fetched way to trigger Skirmish. So... a TWF Ranger/Scout build? =/
A more vanilla Power Attack build might turn out better, though. Just not using what I think is the only unique thing about the style.

Winning that opposed strength check is rather vital. Better get some size increases, and every other bonus to your opposed checks you can find.

Kantolin
2009-12-12, 08:05 PM
The trident itself isn't a bad weapon. It's less useful than a longsword but only very slightly - a longsword is 1d8 19-20/x2, a trident is 1d8 20/x2 but can be thrown 10ft.

The fact that it can be thrown is unlikely to be useful, but you could give it returning and thus get the extra oompf out of that feature. But even if you don't, you probably won't notice the times you would've crit on a 19.

Trident's also piercing, which may or may not be more useful than slashing.

The net (Outside of the net-and-trident feat) is a pseudo-reusable tanglefoot bag that is cheaper but gives you a -4 to hit unless you spend a feat on proficiency with it. Since it's a touch attack, you may not actually need to care about the proficiency feat (especially if you're a full BAB class). Either way, causing entangled isn't all that bad. Especially since you can then choke up on the rope and keep the target within 5ft of you (If you can keep winning strength checks and don't mind losing use of one of your hands).

All in all, neither are terrible, although the trident isn't quite optimal.

imperialspectre
2009-12-12, 08:08 PM
The net is bad for anyone who isn't a monk, and then the monk is bad.

The trident is okay, since anything you can two-hand is a reasonably good weapon. It doesn't matter if it has low base damage past around 3rd level, because the bonus damage is going to overwhelm a couple points of random happenstance.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-12, 08:17 PM
Homebrew the net with some lead beads sewn onto it like a real retarius, you try and get this in their eyes.

Korivan
2009-12-12, 09:11 PM
You've been talking to my players havent you? Actually, surprisangly good. I got a guy in my group thats using a spear or trident with net based off a gladiator. Uses the net to trip/entangle then makes attacks when his opponents are helpless/near helpless.

Stephen_E
2009-12-12, 09:47 PM
You've been talking to my players havent you? Actually, surprisangly good. I got a guy in my group thats using a spear or trident with net based off a gladiator. Uses the net to trip/entangle then makes attacks when his opponents are helpless/near helpless.

This would work better if the Net could be used for tripping, which it can't.

It should also be noted that Throwing a Net triggers an AoO.

The only effective build I know of using Net and Trident involves Exotic Weapon Master and the Net & Trident style, bith from the CompWarr, and at that point you might as well toss in Bolas as well.

Also note that trying to controll the net targets movement is a trap. Don't do it except in exceptional cases where you want to capture rather than kill.

Feats -
Exotic Weapon Prof - Net
2WFing
Weapon Focus Trident (prereq - Net & Trident))
Oversized 2WFing (Net is 1h weapon. This reduces penalties from -4/-4 to -2/-2)
Quick Draw (replace the net after throwing it)
Net & Trident Style
Weapon Focus - Net (prereq - Exotic WM)
Weapon Prof - Bolas
Weapon Focus - Bolas (prereq - Exotic WM)
Improved 2WF
Greater 2WF

Exotic Weapon Stunts -
Close Quarters Ranged Combat (avoid AoOs when using exotic ranged weapons you have Focus for. Absolutely critical with any Net build)
Trip Attack (=2 for Trip - optional but useful with Bolas).

Tactic -
Weilding Net and Trident.
Throw Net from off-hand,
successfuly win opposed Str roll
drop rope and quick draw 2nd trident making full round attack with both tridents.
or quick draw bolas and make a trip attack, quick drawing more balas if trip attack fails to use with additional off-hand attacks.
If trip works QD 2nd Trident and continue stabbing.

This whole procedure is an exercise in sub-optimal regarding the Net, but the Bolas part is moderately optimal.

Stephen E

Darrin
2009-12-12, 11:30 PM
Razor Net (Dragon Compendium) may add some damage to a net attack, but the Lasso (BoED I think) is easier to use (still exotic but no refolding), offers the same entangling penalty, has no size limitation, and can be reused.

As a surprise tactic or when used en masse by a bunch of low-level mooks, you can shut down someone for a round because chances are good they've never been attacked with one and don't know how to respond.

Nets can also be used with some other Dex debuffs to render some of the bigger beasties in the game helpless. High-CR threats tend to have low Dex scores and abysmal touch ACs. You can stack this with fatigue/exhaustion, ray of clumsiness, bestow curse, shivering touch, etc. Some DMs may even allow you to stack entanglement penalties from different sources (a lasso, net, and web spell for example can shut down a Tarrasque with only two ranged touch attacks).

bosssmiley
2009-12-13, 09:02 AM
Nah. The whole retarius look is a stylised gladiatorial party piece, not a serious battlefield option. Dressing up like a fisherman really didn't catch on, did it?

Stephen_E
2009-12-13, 09:13 AM
Nah. The whole retarius look is a stylised gladiatorial party piece, not a serious battlefield option. Dressing up like a fisherman really didn't catch on, did it?

Keep in mind that a lot of DnD PC combat is closer to gladitorial combat than it is to battlefield combat.

Stephen E