PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad build help (3.5 epic)

Rosalinath
2009-12-13, 12:24 AM
first off i will be making a campaign in a bit, so if you are considering about playing please leave this thread now k? good ^^

----------------------------

Ok. I am planning on making my own Elder Evil using the advice from the book with the same name. I need assistance however because I am not used to making creatures and high level npcs.

The premise is a god-hating creature that wishes to steal the gods followers for herself and in turn cause the world to become a barren place because of the vital god's lack of influence in the world. I go by the Followers = God's Power logic for this idea if that would help you understand. She does this by visiting peoples dreams and slowly influencing their minds to her as a patron.

Stat wise I plan on making three of her: her as an elder evil, an aspect of her, and a lesser aspect of her. She will either be psionic or enchantment focused with leeching abilities added in. I am not sure about what her minions will be, so any advice would be appreciated. She will be around 40-50th level depending, her greater and lesser aspects being 30th and 18th level respectively. I have full control of the options so I am asking for the best options that aren't considered overpowered.

Any ideas? I am still thinking it up so anything is ok to me

industrious
2009-12-13, 12:28 AM
Have it take levels in Ur-Priest?

Temet Nosce
2009-12-13, 12:29 AM
What level will the party be? Also, don't take much advice from the book the Elder Evils are well... Really, really weak.

Rosalinath
2009-12-13, 12:34 AM
Don't worry, I'm only looking at the fluff and signs.

The party will start at lv. 15, this BB will only be hinted at for the beginnings of the campaign. I plan on making her have at least half her levels as monstrous HD. Ur-Priest....hmm...maybe, though I plan on making her a deity later so that might be weird.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-13, 12:45 AM
Don't worry, I'm only looking at the fluff and signs.

The party will start at lv. 15, this BB will only be hinted at for the beginnings of the campaign. I plan on making her have at least half her levels as monstrous HD. Ur-Priest....hmm...maybe, though I plan on making her a deity later so that might be weird.

Well, the most obvious idea (and probably a good one anyways) is to make some of her signs nerf divine magic (perhaps one of her lesser signs is spells requiring twice the spell slots to cast?). I also kind of like the idea of making her have an aura which reduces the maximum highest spell level available to any casters near her, which ought to cut down on the chance of her being obliterated immediately.

I'd also second the Ur-Priest idea (a pity Beholder Mage doesn't fit). I don't have much to say about the Deity bit (due to both being uncertain which rule set for them you're using, and a general avoidance of them as a DM).

Oh, and HP. Lots and lots of HP (by level 15 it's easy to put out hideous quantities of HP damage). Multiple thousands at least are a must.

Rosalinath
2009-12-13, 12:57 AM
Well that is true, I like that Idea. Maybe at the signs highest point All divine Caster have a 50-50 chance of spell failure unless they worship her? hehehe

Also one of her abilities will be immune to all divine spells exept a undecided specific type. I'll be giving her two other abilities and a summon minion ability.

for the minions I think I might have an idea: as she takes down the gods one by one she could also take control of monsters under their power. i.e. Moradin to Dwarves e.t.c. But What minions would be good for a dream traveler to have at the beginning?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-13, 01:33 AM
Heroes of Horror has some dream-realm mechanics (pages 52-58), as well as some dream-specific spells and feats. Probably something worth looking at for this creature.

There was a prestige class in Dragon magazine which specifically opposed deities and divine abilities, and was even capable of outright ignoring divine spell and even becoming immune to the abilities of deities. IIRC the class could make it so deities wouldn't even be able to perceive the character unless you specifically took an action against them personally. My google-fu has revealed that it's most likely in issue 311, but I'll still try to get in touch with someone I used to play with who has every issue just to see for myself, because I really liked that class back in the day. If you can track that down, it would definitely be fitting for this creature.

SaintRidley
2009-12-13, 01:39 AM
The Divine Denial feat (out of Exemplars of Evil) sounds like a must for this particular baddie.

Rosalinath
2009-12-13, 01:44 AM
alright, thank you kind Biff ^^ I own heroes of Horror, so I'll go rummage around for it

Lets see....I think I will make it so she starts out as a cleric, moves onto ur-priest, maybe going into your suggested class if I can get my hands on that issue, and then drain the life force of some powerful being (maybe another elder evil in its sleep).

Any ideas for abilities? for the aspects I mean, I highly doubt that the party will ever fight the elder evil one on one unless they grab the support of a deity.

Edit: I tried to find a Exemplar of Evil pdf or the book from a friend but couldn't acquire it so I can't really find that feat >.>