PDA

View Full Version : Some Ideas for a 4th ed OOTS BASED game (NOT A SPECULATIVE THREAD)

Degausser
2009-12-13, 12:39 AM
I came up with some ideas for stuff you could do to make a 4th ed game based on the OOtS world. Obviously, it's not perfect, but I thought it might be a fun little diversion. (Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but I quit looking after hitting 5+pages on the search results.) Also, apologies if this breaks some forum rule that I haven't read, but from what I can tell, it's not a banned topic.

Backgrounds:

Blood Sworn Oath:
Someone in your direct lineage has sworn a Blood-Oath to accomplish some task. Until this task is done, none of your family's souls will be able to pass to their final resting place (Or so you think.) Now the task has fallen to you. You, quite literally, have some of your ancestor's souls resting on your shoulders. This has constantly weighed down on your life, but has also forced you to study the histories from whence your blood oath came.
Relevant Skills: History, Arcana
Relevant Languages: Draconic

Raised by thieves:
Some kids are born into poverty, raised on the tough and mean streets of some hell-hole and forced to join a thieves guild out of necessity. You were not one of them. No, you were quite literally BORN into the thieves guild, and the guild was your home as you grew up. There was never any question as to your profession. You were always bound to be a thief in some form or another.
Relevant classes: Rogue, Bard, Ranger (urban), Warlord
Relevant Skills: Stealth, Theivery

Holy Quest:
In the past, you were given some great task, appointed to you by your elders in your priestly order, then kicked out on your ear, and sent to accomplish it. The church is all you've ever known, and now you are all out in the big, scary world, and you have nothing to get by on other than your knowledge of religion, your holy symbol, and your faith.
Relevant classes: any divine
Relevant Skills: Religion, Insight

Emotionless Arcane Researcher:
Ever since you were young, you knew what to do. You had to study the arcane arts. It burned in you like a fiery passion. You sought the ultimate goal, to become an archmage or possibly, a lich. You saw the great wizards of your time as mere idiots, who used magic, but did not truely UNDERSTAND it. It was your destiny to beat them, they were fools, after all.
Relevant classes: Sorcerer, Artificer, Wizard
Relevant Skills: Arcana
Relevant Languages: Draconic, Elven, Dwarven

More to come later!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-13, 07:00 AM
:smallconfused: This seems like it would fit equally well with 3.5 ed. And probably 2 ed and AD&D.

Also, the connection to OotS is a bit... missing, right now. I mean sure, it's kind of like some of the characters, but it's not like the basic backstories behind the characters are all unique. Blood oaths, MOAR POWER, rescuing a family member... all a bit used. It might have been better in the RPG section.

Not bad so far though, I guess. I'm not really sure what to compare it to as a baseline though.

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 07:42 AM
This should go to the homebrew thread, and I don't really see any connection to OOTS in these backgrounds, how about:
Raised in azure city
You were raised in azure city at some point, its magnificent blue walls shall forever be in your memory. How long were you there? Are you wanted by authorities?
Relevant races: Human,half-elf,half-orc
Relevant classes: and divine, any martial
Relevant god: The twelve gods
Relevant skills: Religion, streetwise

That better?

Degausser
2009-12-13, 04:16 PM
This should go to the homebrew thread, and I don't really see any connection to OOTS in these backgrounds, how about:
Raised in azure city
You were raised in azure city at some point, its magnificent blue walls shall forever be in your memory. How long were you there? Are you wanted by authorities?
Relevant races: Human,half-elf,half-orc
Relevant classes: and divine, any martial
Relevant god: The twelve gods
Relevant skills: Religion, streetwise

That better?

Thanks for contributing, but you don't have to be so snide. I'm sorry I didn't call "raised by thieves" "Born in Greysky City" And what more do you want me to call Roy's backstory? Anyway, here are a few more. I am currently working on a few paragon paths that have to do with OOtS.

Ninja Training
Surprisingly, there are several ninja-styled training programs all over the world. Of course, Azure city produces many of the most promising ninjas, but there are also smaller, technical schools for goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs as well. Would-be students must supply their own black garb.
Relevant Races: Any
Relevant classes: Rogue, Ranger(Urban), Fighter (If Tempest option taken)
Relevant Skills: Stealth, Perception

Warthog Student
You were (or are) student of a respectable and widely known magic university, Warthog's school for wizardry and Sorcery, located in Cliffport. This school is known not only for the melodrama of it's students, but also for several omens and portents, which seem to be handed out like candy over there.
Relevant classes: Any arcane, particularly Wizards, Sorcerers, and Artificers
Relevant Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy
Relevant Languages: Draconic

Graduated from Bard Summer Camp
You have never been one for "book learning." You like to sing, be free, and make the most of life. And then the chance of a lifetime came along. A two-week summer camp for bardic training. You lept at the chance to be a true, official bard in only two weeks, instead of spending years upon years of rigorous arcane study. And hey, you still get to cast spells, right?
Relevant classes: Bard . . . Duh.
Relevant Skills: (Extreme)Diplomacy, Acrobatics

Half-orc blood
It hard to overcome orc blood in this day and age. Many half-orc never learn how to speak English good. Some never learn pronouns or how conjugate. But that okay, we take ones who not learn and help them out. It fine if we not smartest, we strong and fast, and teach how to hit stuff with axe.
Relevant races: Half-orc
Relevant Classes: Any Primal or Martial
Relevant Skills: Endurance, Nature
Relevant Languages: Ha ha no, they barely speak common.

Former Cliffport city Police officer
A former member of the CCPD, you have worked with the best, at the forefront of forensic investigation and polices sciences, you eschew magic for strategies and ideas that can be tested by all, not simply those who have access to the highest levels of magic. Your background in academia has helped you numerous times out in the field.
Relevant Races: Any Acceptable in "polite society"
Relevant Classes: Any Martial, especially Fighters and Warlords
Relevant Skills: History, Perception

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 06:04 PM
Nice, and I apologize if I sounded rude, its just that the back stories felt rather generic.

Haven
2009-12-13, 06:08 PM
I like it.

Though bards don't even get a correspondence course. Apparently, they get a few weeks of summer camp (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html). XD

Degausser
2009-12-13, 06:24 PM
I like it.

Though bards don't even get a correspondence course. Apparently, they get a few weeks of summer camp (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html). XD

D'oh! I thought it was a corrospondance course. I'll fix the fluff.

Vulkan
2009-12-13, 06:29 PM
I got a story :smallsmile:

Hunting Beknar

You viewed your [Person] slain in front of you in a savage act from a small horrid halfling from the depths of hell itself. The moment stuck in your mind replaying over and over in your sleep watching [Person] slain with blood all over the place and yourself barly holding on. That sinister look that smile.. The horrible smile. You have vowed that one day you shall avenge [Person]

Relevant classes: Any
Relevant Skills: [I really cant think of anything off the top of my head]
Relevant Languages: Any

:smallfrown: I tried to be funny

Degausser
2009-12-13, 08:25 PM
Obviously, haven't playtest this, but I tried to keep it within the power realm of the other paragon paths, so we'll see how it works out.

Paragon Path: Dashing Swordsman
-Requirements: Bard, Proficient with Rapier.

You are the embodiment of the charismatic, suave, and (of course) dashing, fencer. You live your life free, with little or no cares in the world. Simply a rapier in your hand, and an arsenal of bad puns at your disposal.

Clever Quips: (Level 11) you may make basic attacks with your charisma attribute instead of your strength or dexterity. Your damage bonus is for basic attacks is, likewise, now based off of your charisma. It is assumed that you are making the clever quips in character, and there is no need to punish the other players at the table by coming up with them.
Dancing around the battlefield: (Lvl 11) When you spend an action point to gain an extra action, you may shift a number of spaces equal to your charisma modifier.
Drama sense(Lvl 16) Your innate knack for the drama of the universe is unparalleled, and (as such) you can unleash your dramatic shows of force more often. You start each day with 2 action points, instead of 1.

Spells
Lvl 11 Attack (encounter) PUN-ishment
(Arcane, Weapon, Psychic) (Requires a light blade)
You Thrust your weapon in while unleashing a particularly horrible pun, making sure that the target feels the pain either in their gut or head.
Standard Action, 1 targeted creature.
Charisma vs. AC
2[w]+cha mod damage, and target suffers a -2 psychic penalty to all attacks until the end of your next turn.

Lvl 12 Utility (Encounter) Dramatic convenience
(Arcane)
You seem to glide across the battlefield, avoiding all the hazards around you, as, after all, no hero was ever felled by some bit of glass. Only a creature has a chance of doing you in.
Free Action, Self
You gain a damage reduction of 5 against all environmental effects, such as a cold room or shards of glass. Monster abilities and traps are not affected by this spell.

Lvl 20 Attack (Daily) The Hero's last chance!
(Arcane, Weapon)
Down to your last chance, one more attack, that either means his doom or yours. It's all up to you in one, final strike!
Standard Action, 1 Target
Charisma vs. AC 4[w]+cha mod damage
Special:
If you have no other Daily powers left, this power gets a +4 bonus to hit.
If you are bloodied, this power does additional damage equal to your cha mod.
If you have no healing surges left, this attack does 5[w] damage instead

Gamerlord
2009-12-13, 08:36 PM
At some point you should do a sapphire guard paragon path. That would be nice.

Degausser
2009-12-13, 08:40 PM
At some point you should do a sapphire guard paragon path. That would be nice.

Awww, that's what I was planning next! Now you've gone and spoiled the surprise!

Vulkan
2009-12-13, 08:51 PM
Hey why not come up with Sky pirate?

Degausser
2009-12-13, 08:57 PM
Hey why not come up with Sky pirate?

I dunno, we haven't really seen Sky pirates in OOtS, Elan's teacher was a Dashing Swordsman, and the only other airship was just a one-shot Final Fantasy referance.

Oh, also, here are some domains from Divine Power.

Followers of Thor can choose from the Following Domain Feats, if they so choose:
Strength, War, Strom

Followers of Loki:
Trickery, Skill, Strife

Followers of the 12 gods pantheon (yeah, with that religion, you follow all 12 gods)
Civilization, Justice, Fate

Vulkan
2009-12-13, 09:22 PM
Alright I`ll come up with a good joke class..

Ghost Martyr?

Aramir21
2009-12-14, 05:27 PM
I don't play 4th Edition, but I like these ideas.

Degausser
2009-12-14, 07:11 PM
Okay, so, here is my take on the Sapphire Guard.

Sapphire Guardsman Paragon Path
Requirements: Paladin, Must worship the 12 gods pantheon, must be accepted into the order of the Sapphire guard, Must be Lawful Good.

Sapphire Guard weapons training(11th level): Sapphire guardsmen automatically become proficient in the Katana (same stats as a bastard Sword.) In addition, they deal +1 damage when wielding a Katana (This is cumulative with the bonus damage from versatile.)
Protect those in need!(11th level)A Sapphire Guard is expected to protect the life of their emperor with their life. You may spend an action point and, instead of getting the normal bonus, may redirect a marked enemy's attack to you, instead of an ally (provided the attack is still legal). This is done before the DM announces if the attack roll hits. You get a +2 power bonus to all defenses against this attack.
Duel with evil: (16th level) When you activate your "Protect those in Need!" Class feature, you may choose to enter a dual with the opponent. Until the dual ends, both of you suffer a -4 penalty to make an attack that does not include each other. The Duel ends when your mark ends, or either participant falls unconscious or is killed.

Prayers:
Saphire Guard's SMITE EVIL (patent pending) *Attack (11th level)
With the power of the entirety of the Sapphire guard running through you, you smite a decidedly evil foe.
Encounter, Divine, Weapon, Radiant
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Target: 1 Creature
Attack: Str vs. AC, 1[w]+Str mod damage
Special: If the creature is Evil, or chaotic evil, and has an Intelligence of 3 or more, the damage is instead 4[w]+Str mod, and causes an opponent to be Dazed (Save ends)

We must not fall! *Utility (12th level)
Just as it seems all hope is lost, you draw upon the one recourse you have in abundance, faith, and you hope it is enough to see you through.
Daily, Divine
Free Action
Target:Self
Effect: You gain a bonus to all defenses (including AC) Equal to your Charisma modifier Until the end of the encounter, and may expend a healing surge.
Special:You may only perform this action if you are bloodied, and have already used your second wind this battle.

Become the weapon *Attack (20th level)
You loose yourself in a fervor of divine energy, bearing down on a single foe, wishing to drive all of your divine might against them.
Daily, Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee
Target: 1 creature
Effect: You charge your body with as much divine energy as you can channel, and bring it all to bear on your foe. You may attack by any Melee means (a dagger, a hammer, an improvised weapon, even bare fists or gauntlets.)
Attack: Str vs AC, 1[w]+str mod damage, you become dazed after this attack (save ends.)
Special: If this attack is used against an evil or chaotic evil creature, you instead deal 6[w]+Str mod damage

MReav
2009-12-14, 07:20 PM
Alright I`ll come up with a good joke class..

Ghost Martyr?

Ghost Martyr would either be an Elite Template. Or Minion, given how easily Redcloak pinged them.

Oh, it would also be an Epic Destiny.