PDA

View Full Version : Interrupting your move [d20 3.5, houserule]

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-13, 05:16 AM
It seems to me that some move equivalent actions shouldn't interrupt your movement during a round - in that you should be able to complete the movement you were taking after you've done the move equivalent action.

We need an example: Opening (or closing) a door.

If you have a movement rate of 30ft, and there is a door 10ft away from you, I think you shopuld be able to move to the door, open it, and continue your move action through the door (moving another 20ft, making up your 30ft of movement).
In the RAW, you have to stop, giving up the rest of your move for the round.

D&D 3.5 already allows you to draw a weapon as part of a move action (if you have +1BAB). It's not really a big deal to let people take certain move equivalent actions in the middle of movement... but we'd need to be careful with the actions that are allowed.

{table]Move Action|Attack of Opportunity|Interrupt Movement
Move|Yes|No
Control a frightened mount|Yes|No
Direct or redirect an active spell|No|Yes
Draw a weapon|No|Yes**
Load a hand crossbow or light crossbow|Yes|Yes*
Open or close a door|No|Yes
Mount a horse or dismount|No|Yes
Move a heavy object|Yes|No
Pick up an item|Yes|No
Sheathe a weapon|Yes|Yes*
Stand up from prone|Yes|No
Ready or loose a shield|No|Yes
Retrieve a stored item|Yes|Yes*[/table]
*Requires a BAB of 1+
**Counts as a Free Action taken during movement if your BAB is 1+.

On this table, mostly the actions that don't provoke an AoO are the sort of actions that I'm thinking of.
There are exceptions: Sheathe a weapon, Reload a crossbow, and Retrieve a stored item - I think you ought to be able to do that while moving, if your BAB is greater than 0.
These actions are still move equivalent, but you can take part of your movement before and after the action.

Comments?

imp_fireball
2009-12-13, 05:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea. More power to martial types... at low levels, since BAB +1 is always low level. Ah well, still... having martial training should mean a lot and the difference between that and BAB +0 is that one guy hasn't been in the muther fuggin' military (also see: is a sissy) while the other guy has. :smallbiggrin:

We need an example: Opening (or closing) a door.

Maybe if you ram down a door and you happen to roll a STR check that's so high that said door is like moving through paper? Then it wouldn't interrupt movement? :smalltongue:

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-14, 10:47 AM
It wasn't my intention that all move actions on my list require you to have a BAB of 1+. Some of them should just be allowed as a move equivalent action that takes place during a movement.

I've re-written the table to show which require a BAB of 1+.

DracoDei
2009-12-14, 11:27 AM
I think this is a good idea.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-14, 12:05 PM
More of that fake-realism word!

Duke of URL
2009-12-14, 03:37 PM
These move-equivalent actions are intended to represent that these activities do take some amount of time and distraction that would otherwise be used in a move action.

As such, I'm leery of the idea of simply automatically allowing them as part of a normal move action. There should be some cost or chance of failure involved, say (just off the top of my head), opening an unlocked door might be allowed during a move, but cost 10' of movement speed, or something like that.

Other action types might have their own "cost", and some may require a skill check in order to successfully navigate the obstacle or manipulate the item.

Additionally, you could consider something along the line of existing combat maneuvers (bull rush, overrun) to simply bypass mundane obstacles like doors, although those typically use up the standard action as well, which I assume you're trying to avoid (since you could just use your standard action as a second move after opening the door).

imp_fireball
2009-12-14, 05:31 PM
These move-equivalent actions are intended to represent that these activities do take some amount of time and distraction that would otherwise be used in a move action.

As such, I'm leery of the idea of simply automatically allowing them as part of a normal move action. There should be some cost or chance of failure involved, say (just off the top of my head), opening an unlocked door might be allowed during a move, but cost 10' of movement speed, or something like that.

Other action types might have their own "cost", and some may require a skill check in order to successfully navigate the obstacle or manipulate the item.

Additionally, you could consider something along the line of existing combat maneuvers (bull rush, overrun) to simply bypass mundane obstacles like doors, although those typically use up the standard action as well, which I assume you're trying to avoid (since you could just use your standard action as a second move after opening the door).

Rolling 'chance' or specifying movement costs is too semantical, imo. Just make everything cost BAB +1. Like I already said, BAB +1 means a lot. It means you know how to think tactically about a given situation, how to move quickly compared to a BAB +0 commoner, etc., etc.

DracoDei
2009-12-14, 06:10 PM

As I understand it, it still takes up the same action to open a door or whatever, just that you can move both before and afterward, Your idea actually makes opening the door CHEAPER than what he proposed.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-15, 03:11 AM
As I understand it, it still takes up the same action to open a door or whatever, just that you can move both before and afterward, Your idea actually makes opening the door CHEAPER than what he proposed.
Quite.
You still have to use a move equivalent action to open the door, retrieve the item, whatever - but you get to do it during a part of your movement.

Tactically, this will let you move up to a door, open it, and move thorugh it in one turn - providing you only move as far as one move action's worth of movement.
Most of the other changes will have little material effect in game - you can take the move action before or after your movement, and with this house rule, during your movement. Not much of a change when you're reloading acrossbow.

Shyftir
2009-12-15, 06:40 AM
I thinking "charging" 10 ft. of movement is pretty fair for the majority of these. In five seconds you can move 30 ft. or Do random thing) and move 20 ft. That sounds pretty much right to me.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-17, 03:04 AM
I thinking "charging" 10 ft. of movement is pretty fair for the majority of these. In five seconds you can move 30 ft. or Do random thing) and move 20 ft. That sounds pretty much right to me.

I disagree.
Under the RAW, you can take two move equivalent actions in a round, or a standard and one move, etc, etc.
What I'm proposing is that you can take certain move equivalent actions during a movement action. You're still using up your two move equivalnet actions for the round.

Example:
You move 10ft to a door (using 10ft of your movement), open it (using a move equivalent action) and go through another 20ft (using the remainder of your 30ft of movement). You've only used two move actions, but split one in half.