PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Mallyate

Sliver
2009-12-13, 05:25 AM
Has anyone used the Mallyate in a game? I am considering introducing one in my campaign and was wondering about what you thought of the material..

UserClone
2009-12-13, 01:03 PM
...What's a mallyate?

Sliver
2009-12-13, 01:13 PM
Mallyate is a material that can change it's shape according to it's size. Small Mallyate can be light armor, shield or the light weapons, medium Mallyate can be medium armors, heavy shields and one handed weapons, with large Mallyate being heavy armor, tower shield or two handed weapons.

In addition to being able to change from armor or different weapons, it also gets magical bonuses. For every 3 levels the character has, the Mallyate can assume a +1 bonus. So at level 3 you can have a somethingbane weapon without needing the +1.

You have charges per day equal to your level, and each change counts as one except when you change between weapon and armor.

Also, the magical properties you decide for the Mallyate have a chance to fail, so you make a level check (d20+character level) against a monster's check (same. HD count in the check) and if you fail the check then the magical properties of the item don't work for the attack.

Raiki
2009-12-13, 01:19 PM
Hmm.

Haven't used it, but it does sound interesting. What source is it from?

Sliver
2009-12-13, 01:23 PM
Here it is. (http://www.roninarts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=2_10_35&products_id=292)

UserClone
2009-12-13, 04:43 PM
I don't know how much response you'll get to that one, I'm afraid. It isn't OGL, so you can't post the stats, and it's an obscure (but not free) source, as D20 material goes, so I can do nothing but wish you the best of luck. I probably wouldn't use it; from what you've said, it sounds kind of silly, unless your whole character is based on transformation, like a doppelganger or something.

Grumman
2009-12-13, 05:01 PM
If you'd rather use WotC material that is sort of similar, there are equipment abilities like Metalline, Sizing and Morphing for weapons and Variable for shields in the Magic Item Compendium.

Or you could just use Shapesand from the Sandstorm book.