PDA

View Full Version : Elans in Eberron

Kol Korran
2009-12-13, 05:32 AM
so, anyone knows what place do Elans hold in Eberron? place in the world, in society? I'm DMing for 2 players new to Eberron, one playing a goliath barb (whihc i understand come from deep within the ELdeen reaches?) and the other is the Elan psion.

thanks in advance.

kpenguin
2009-12-13, 05:45 AM
If I recall correctly, the fluff for elans in Eberron is that renegade Quori who didn't happen to be part of the mass exodus that created the Kalashatar are forcibly imprisoned into the bodies of humans. They have no control and their presence gives those humans psionic power. The immortality thing is to keep that prison eternal.

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-13, 07:08 AM
Yep. I'll quote Secrets of Sarlona:

ELANS

When a quori commits a heinous crime against its own kind, it recieves a terrible punishment: It is bound into a human vessel against its will. Unlike in the normal process of inspiration, the bound spirit has no power or influence over its host. Condemned to eternal powerlessness, the quori's energy sustains and empowers the host, transforming it into an elan (EPH 9). No elan council exists on Eberron, and no one undergoes the process voluntarily.

Elans are exceedingly rare. Most are found in Riedra, serving in the Harmonious Shield. Elans know what they are--living prisons for evil spirits. An elan has been granted great power with which to serve the Inspired, and the potential to redeem the il-altas imprisoned in its body. Many elans rise to this challenge, becoming champions of the Path of Inspiration. Others stray from the path. Some hear messages from the spirit within or at least believe they do: the life of an elan often ends in madness. Others learn the truth about the Inspired--with a potential life span of centuries, an elan has a great deal of time to put together the pieces of the puzzle.

Kol Korran
2009-12-13, 07:15 AM
thanks, i don't have Secrets of Sarlona. so the offending spirit is against the inspired, right?

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-13, 07:41 AM
Yep.minimum character limit says hi