PDA

View Full Version : Interlocking Warshield [Item 3.5 - P.E.A.C.H./W.I.P.]

Narmy
2009-12-13, 08:55 AM
THESE SHIELDS ARE ONLY MEANT TO BE USED WHEN YOU'RE APPLYING THE COMBAT FACING SYSTEM TO YOUR GAMES.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm

The description needs work, I know.

Description: An interlocking warshield can be made in many shapes, but one such shape is that of the yin and yang. One interlocking warshield shaped like a yin would have blades along it's edge. The shield also has a lockable rotation device so that it can be unlocked turned, and then locked into place again. This serves in helped to properly combine an interlocking warshield with its counterpart. When two interlocking warshields are combined to form one, it functions as a single, larger shield. The sheer weight of which when combined is capable of inflicting more damage.

Exotic Weapons

Light Interlocking WarShield (Steel)
Cost: 159 Gold
Damage: 1d4 Slashing, x2 (x3 when interlocked)
Independent AC: +1
Interlocked AC: +2
ACP: -1
Interlocked ACP: -3
ASF: 5% Per
Interlocked ASF: 10%
Weight: 8 lbs.
Interlocked Weight: 16 lbs

Special Ability
Interlock
An interlocking warshield is so crafted that it can be locked together in formation with another interlocking warshield of the same size and type. By interlocking the warshields they form a single shield, this interlocked shield is a bit bigger than a shield one size category larger than. A pair of Interlocked Warshields functions as one shield, and one weapon.

Interlocking a pair of Warshields can be done as a standard action.
If you have a Base Attack bonus of +6 interlocking a pair of warshields is only a move action.

Heavy Interlocking Warshield (Steel)
Cost: 170 Gold
Damage: 1d8 Slashing, x2 (x3 when Interlocked)
Independent AC: +2
Interlocked AC: +4
Interlocked Max Dex: +1
ACP: -2
Interlocked ACP: -5
ASF: 15%
Interlocked ASF: 30%
Weight: 19 lbs.
Interlocked Weight: 38 lbs.

Special Ability
Interlock
An interlocking warshield is so crafted that it can be locked together in formation with another interlocking warshield of the same size and type. By interlocking the warshields they form a single shield, this interlocked shield is a bit bigger than a shield one size category larger than. A pair of Interlocked Warshields functions as one shield, and one weapon.

Interlocking a pair of Warshields can be done as a standard action.
If you have a Base Attack bonus of +6 interlocking a pair of warshields is only a move action.
--------------------------

WHEN INTERLOCKED

The Damage stays the same, but the critical increases to x3
Use the Interlocked AC
ACP is doubled, and increased by one. (I.E.) -1 ACP becomes -3 TOTAL, meaning two light shields into one interlocked, has a total ACP of -3
Spell fail doubles Same rules as above --->
Weight Doubles. Same Rues as above --->

Does this item sound balanced, what can be done to balance it. Is it perhaps hopeless?

How would one go about masterwork versions and enhancement bonuses from magic.

Would they apply to both to hit, and armor rolls/bonuses. Like following?

Any masterwork version of an Interlocking Warshield is granted both a +1 Enhancement bonus to attack rolls, and it's ACP is lessened by 1.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-13, 09:31 AM
You haven't given the weapon stats for a pair of sheilds.

Weapons of this sort of bulk and weight without handles are very difficult to use.

From your title, i wondered if it might be like the Warmachine jack shield system, which included one worn like a hat and two arm sheilds with blades on the inner edges. They could be clipped together to turn the front of the jack into a dozer blade like arrangement.

I would have said that the combined sheilds gave the normal bonus +4 by counting as cover, given that they would have turned into a pauvis by that point.

Silverscale
2009-12-13, 09:31 AM
So basically you run around with a bladed shield strapped to each arm, with the option of interlocking them for a little added AC? How much damage does the pair do when they are locked together....does it stack to become 2d4 or is it still only 1d4?

Narmy
2009-12-13, 09:46 AM
I just posted it up at the bottom of the first post there for ya guys.

Silverscale
2009-12-13, 10:03 AM
WHEN INTERLOCKED
The Damage stays the same, but the critical increases to x3
Use the Interlocked AC
ACP is doubled (I.E.) -1 ACP becomes -2 TOTAL, meaning two light shields into one interlocked, has a total ACP of -2
Spell fail doubles Same rules as above --->
Weight Doubles. Same Rues as above --->

So instead of doing 1d8x2/1d8x2 Damage with a combined AC bonus of +4 you are now doing only 1d8x3 with an AC bonus that only goes up to +5, you are loosing 1d8 damage for a better Crit, if you land one, and 1 AC?
I'm not sure why anyone would bother locking them together.

Narmy
2009-12-13, 07:16 PM
Should the heavy version have a max dex of +1?

As you can see, I did some balance changes.

Changelog

I decided that the ACP should be 1 higher when connected, therefore, doubling the ACP and adding 1.
I also decided that the armor class was 1 too high, and so I decided to just stick to doubling it, instead of doubling and adding 1.

I'm trying to balance out the shields. As you can notice, I also noted that they should only be used when your game implements the combat facing system.

Narmy
2009-12-23, 03:10 PM
Last attempt for further comments.

Siosilvar
2010-01-01, 07:58 PM
So instead of doing 1d8x2/1d8x2 Damage with a combined AC bonus of +4 you are now doing only 1d8x3 with an AC bonus that only goes up to +5, you are loosing 1d8 damage for a better Crit, if you land one, and 1 AC?
I'm not sure why anyone would bother locking them together.

Shield bonuses to AC don't stack.

You're trading:

1d8/x2 and +2 AC

for:

1d8/x3 or +4 AC.

With Improved Shield Bash (and possibly TWF):

1d8/x2 and 1d8/x2 and +2 AC

->

1d8/x3 and +4 AC

robotrobot2
2010-01-01, 09:58 PM
The item is fairly balanced, but I don't see how it would ever see use in a game. A longsword and tower shield give you 1d8 damage and +4 AC, while this item does exactly the same but costs an exotic weapon proficiency feat. I would suggest increasing damage to 1d10 (leave at 1d8 while separated) and making it function as a tower shield.

Narmy
2010-01-13, 11:42 PM
Will be doing what you said

Also, the usefulness of this item increases with Combat Facing Variant in place.

or what I like to call Realistic Combat.