PDA

View Full Version : warforged shocking fist...

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 11:25 AM
Shocking fist
bab +3

free action (usable once per round)

for every one damage you deal to your self you may add 1d4 electric to the dmg of your slam attack.

For example if you take 3 you will be doing 3d4 dmg+ your slam.

Paraphrased to not violate any rules.

Is there a way to abuse this feat?

All I can think of is Stone power from TOB and taking levels in dragon shaman?
Maybe crusader?

if this was already explored can some one give me a link to the thread cuz my google fu is week

Voice of Reason
2009-12-13, 11:34 AM
It depends, is there a limit to how many HP of damage you can take to improve your attacks? There a plethora of ways to gain temporary HP (between 30-70 as a swift action, even) that could be used to fuel that attack.

Turning lethal damage to nonlethal damage (regeneration X) and then making yourself immune to non-lethal damage allows for you to use this skill infinitely at no penalty. I wish you luck finding a DM willing to let you have immunity to non-lethal damage though.

If you're playing 3.0 compatible, there's two feats in Savage Species that grant you bonuses whenever you take 50 or more damage, one of which gives a bonus to con until the end of the encounter, almost completely mitigating the cost (assuming you're allowed to fuel it infinitely).

EDIT: ignore the striked-out idea; unless you have a BAB of 50, it's not going to do you any good.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 11:37 AM
It depends, is there a limit to how many HP of damage you can take to improve your attacks? There a plethora of ways to gain temporary HP (between 30-70 as a swift action, even) that could be used to fuel that attack.

Turning lethal damage to nonlethal damage (regeneration X) and then making yourself immune to non-lethal damage allows for you to use this skill infinitely at no penalty. I wish you luck finding a DM willing to let you have immunity to non-lethal damage though.

If you're playing 3.0 compatible, there's two feats in Savage Species that grant you bonuses whenever you take 50 or more damage, one of which gives a bonus to con until the end of the encounter, almost completely mitigating the cost (assuming you're allowed to fuel it infinitely).

etc.

No limit to how much you an boost. Though i belive its only one one attack per round.
That puts a slight damper on it

As far as non leathal there is a warforged feath that makes you immune to non leathal.. i guess the problem would be getting regeneration. lol

Mongoose87
2009-12-13, 11:38 AM
Well, if you use it in conjunction with a few Devoted Spirit Strikes, it essentially becomes free damage. Fast healing is always an option. Or, you could take that feat that lets you 2-hand power attack with your fist, be an Ubercharger, give up all of your AC and all but 1 of your HP for one attack, and see how hilariously awesome that would be.

Ryumaru
2009-12-13, 11:42 AM
Well, if you use it in conjunction with a few Devoted Spirit Strikes, it essentially becomes free damage. Fast healing is always an option. Or, you could take that feat that lets you 2-hand power attack with your fist, be an Ubercharger, give up all of your AC and all but 1 of your HP for one attack, and see how hilariously awesome that would be.

Make sure you're screaming 'I AM A MAN!' as well.

-Ends obscure joke-

Mongoose87
2009-12-13, 11:43 AM
Make sure you're screaming 'I AM A MAN!' as well.

-Ends obscure joke-

*Whoosh* That's the sound of your joke flying over my head.

Grumman
2009-12-13, 11:44 AM
No limit to how much you an boost.
You can only boost by up to your B.A.B.

Ryumaru
2009-12-13, 11:44 AM
*Whoosh* That's the sound of your joke flying over my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfIKRQ4sTfU

Edit: Still, 20HP for 20d4... doesn't seem too bad to me.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 11:46 AM
well i know this feat and stone power are greater then power attack...
-4 for stone power is +8 temp hp which then adds 8d4 dmg to an attack which isn't that bad.

I guess i just have to optimise ways to hit or add temp hp or heal or what not.

Mongoose87
2009-12-13, 11:47 AM
Just be careful of anything immune to electricity - it'll ruin your day.

Ryumaru
2009-12-13, 11:51 AM
Does it stack with anything like Power Attack? If so, and you're getting a decent to hit, and a two-hander punch... well, another couple of +2's wouldn't go amiss on that damage roll.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 11:55 AM
Does it stack with anything like Power Attack? If so, and you're getting a decent to hit, and a two-hander punch... well, another couple of +2's wouldn't go amiss on that damage roll.

ya power attack is ok, but stone power realy shines.. i meen if you can get your attack roll high enough to be able to take like -10 to your attack mabye cuz then you could get a
10 temp hp to turn into 10d4 and +10 Pa dmg..

Mongoose87
2009-12-13, 11:57 AM
Well, Stone Power is supposed to be able to replace Power Attack as a prerequisite for anything, so, Shock Trooper + Stone Power + Shocking Fist = A flying, AC-less ball of lightning?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 11:58 AM
Well, Stone Power is supposed to be able to replace Power Attack as a prerequisite for anything, so, Shock Trooper + Stone Power + Shocking Fist = A flying, AC-less ball of lightning?

That's quite amusing

Though after looking at crusader that is looking like a great option as far as this feat goes.

Ryumaru
2009-12-13, 11:59 AM
ya power attack is ok, but stone power realy shines.. i meen if you can get your attack roll high enough to be able to take like -10 to your attack mabye cuz then you could get a
10 temp hp to turn into 10d4 and +10 Pa dmg..

No idea what Stone Power is, and I'm a terrible optimizer admittedly, so. ^^' Just going by what I know.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 12:00 PM
No idea what Stone Power is, and I'm a terrible optimizer admittedly, so. ^^' Just going by what I know.

Tome of battle works like pwower attack except that you gain temp HP instead.

Mongoose87
2009-12-13, 12:02 PM
That's quite amusing

Though after looking at crusader that is looking like a great option as far as this feat goes.

For a high-level Crusader, if you can mix in a few of those awesome White Raven charging Maneuvers, then use Strike of Righteous Vitality, you could be made of Win.

deuxhero
2009-12-13, 12:05 PM
Is the damage elec damage or untyped?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 12:05 PM
Is the damage elec damage or untyped?

electric dmg... unfortunatly

crazedloon
2009-12-13, 12:06 PM
all those talking about stone power should remeber it is capped at -5 and therefore 10 hp

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-13, 12:07 PM
all those talking about stone power should remeber it is capped at -5 and therefore 10 hp

ya that is a limitation however -5 to hit for 10d4 dmg seems worth it.

Jastermereel
2009-12-13, 02:15 PM
Would a Druid wild-shaped as a Is there a way to turn into a Shambling Mound and gain it's ability to gain constitution bonuses when it takes electrical damage? If so, that could be a rather extreme abuse of this.

Edits in italics.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-13, 02:24 PM
Shapchange into a Shambling Mound

Eloel
2009-12-13, 02:32 PM
Edit: Master of Many Forms gets Ex abilities as well. (also, ninjas)

AslanCross
2009-12-13, 04:37 PM
I think Crusader is the best, without being really being abusive. You have a lot of non-Conjuration (healing) healing.

Prime32
2009-12-13, 05:16 PM
Someone made a Megaman build which combined this with Lightning Throw to deal damage in a line.

quiet1mi
2009-12-14, 01:54 PM
been looking for this feat what book is this from...

Grumman
2009-12-14, 01:58 PM
been looking for this feat what book is this from...
Player's Guide to Eberron.

Person_Man
2009-12-14, 03:10 PM
Shocking Fist is an ok boost to damage, but it's notable in that:

It can only be used on 1 attack per round.
It can only be used on a slam attack (which takes a -5 penalty to hit, if you're using it as a secondary natural weapon).
The bonus damage is limited by your BAB.
You must declare that you are using it and take the associated damage before you determine whether or not you hit.

Knowing that, I would much rather take Power Attack, Leap Attack, Favored Power Attack, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Spirited Charge, Craven, Divine Might, Smiting Spell, etc.

Having said that, the Hellreaver PrC (Fiendish Codex II) can heal itself or any Good ally within a short range 10, 20, or 30 hit points (it scales up with your Hellreaver level) every round as a Swift Action. Also, the classic Claws of the Beast + Claws of the Vampire combo would work well.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-14, 03:41 PM
Shocking Fist is an ok boost to damage, but it's notable in that:

It can only be used on 1 attack per round.
It can only be used on a slam attack (which takes a -5 penalty to hit, if you're using it as a secondary natural weapon).
The bonus damage is limited by your BAB.
You must declare that you are using it and take the associated damage before you determine whether or not you hit.

Knowing that, I would much rather take Power Attack, Leap Attack, Favored Power Attack, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Spirited Charge, Craven, Divine Might, Smiting Spell, etc.

How is it limited by your BAB.

you realy think its that supoptimal?

Mongoose87
2009-12-14, 04:51 PM

It says so in the feat description.

AslanCross
2009-12-14, 06:09 PM

you realy think its that supoptimal?

You can only deal damage to yourself equal to or less than your BAB. It then deals 1d4 electricity damage per point of damage you dealt to yourself in this way.

I don't think it's suboptimal. Definitely not as good as Power Attack, but if you stack it onto Power Attack and Shock Trooper it can come up with pretty crazy numbers. The really good thing about Power Attack and Shock Trooper is that they give solid numbers instead of dice, and so are more reliable. I still think any little helps, though, and each d4 of damage averages to 2.5. That's still pretty good.

It's also flavorful besides.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-14, 07:43 PM
You can only deal damage to yourself equal to or less than your BAB. It then deals 1d4 electricity damage per point of damage you dealt to yourself in this way.

I don't think it's suboptimal. Definitely not as good as Power Attack, but if you stack it onto Power Attack and Shock Trooper it can come up with pretty crazy numbers. The really good thing about Power Attack and Shock Trooper is that they give solid numbers instead of dice, and so are more reliable. I still think any little helps, though, and each d4 of damage averages to 2.5. That's still pretty good.

It's also flavorful besides.

you can do both technicaly.

AslanCross
2009-12-14, 11:01 PM
you can do both technicaly.

That's what I said. :smallconfused:

quiet1mi
2009-12-15, 02:41 AM
can a slam attack be "two-handed" for the sake of power attack

JeminiZero
2009-12-15, 03:29 AM
There is also the minor shapechange reserve feat to grant temporary HP. And it scales with caster levels. Probably best used with Archivist and DMM cheese.

If you are relying primarily on slam attacks, it might make sense to squeeze in other natural attacks which you can use as secondary attacks in addition to the slam. The Geomancer PrC has a bunch of these (and some other nice stuff like improved trip/grab) and can progress either divine/arcane spellcasting class if you are reliant on minor shapechange. The Illithid heritage tree of feats can grant you up to 4 extra tentacle attacks. As can the Form of Doom power. And of course the various powers/spells that grant bite attacks.

AslanCross
2009-12-15, 04:55 AM
can a slam attack be "two-handed" for the sake of power attack

That's a good question. The Warforged's natural weapon (as it is the warforged's only natural weapon) does get a x1.5 Strength bonus. I'm sure it says somewhere that creatures with a single natural weapon do get double benefit from power attack, but I can't remember where.

quiet1mi
2009-12-15, 03:51 PM
Because a warforged's slam attack gets 1.5 strength it would be fair to extrapolate that it would benefit from double the power attack...