PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Learning

quiet1mi
2009-12-13, 11:34 AM
So after many hard fought battles, and clever circumnavigations of those battles, my beguiler has reached level 11... My main problem is... What do I take for advance learning.

Shadow Conjuration and Evocation are nice but that 20% effect is too limiting as my DM makes most of his saves...

So any other Ideas?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-13, 01:27 PM
So after many hard fought battles, and clever circumnavigations of those battles, my beguiler has reached level 11... My main problem is... What do I take for advance learning.

Shadow Conjuration and Evocation are nice but that 20% effect is too limiting as my DM makes most of his saves...

So any other Ideas?Shadow Conjuration/Evocation, focusing on spells that don't affect the enemy? Phantom Steed, Contingency, a lot of the best spells don't give anyone the 20% chance.

quiet1mi
2009-12-14, 02:07 PM
besides the mentioned few, what are the other < 3rd level spells in (creation) and (summoning) worth a >4th spell slot...

erikun
2009-12-14, 02:14 PM
Grease
Mage Armor
Mount
Unseen Servant
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Web
Phantom Steed
Sepia Snake Sigil
Sleet Storm
Stinking Cloud

quiet1mi
2009-12-15, 02:35 AM
Is it true that grease would suffer the 20% problem, they would only need to test 20% of the time...

likewise for things like fogcloud, sleetstorm and web?

quiet1mi
2009-12-16, 01:17 PM
Looked through the spell compendium, here are the spells you gain from shadow conjuration....

Wall of Smoke
Vipergout
Summon Undead 1,2,3
Servant Horde
Regal Procession
Orb of Sound/Fire/Electricity/Acid, lesser
Nauseating Breath
(Mage Armor Greater)
Malevolent Miasma
Inky Cloud
Ice Lance
Ice Knife
Hail of Stone
Deep Breath
Create Magic Magic Tattoo
Corrosive Grasp
Corpse Candle
Contagious Fog
Cloud of Bewilderment
Buzzing Bee
Blades of Fire
Bands of Steel
Acid Breath

valadil
2009-12-16, 01:23 PM
Is it true that grease would suffer the 20% problem, they would only need to test 20% of the time...

likewise for things like fogcloud, sleetstorm and web?

That's something you'd have to ask your DM. It isn't well defined enough for there to be a single agreed upon answer. IIRC the only examples shown for shadow spells apply 20% to numerical values, not to how frequently the effect goes off.

quiet1mi
2009-12-17, 11:34 PM
So with that in mind would something like Grease be useable 100% regardless of saves?

I seem to recall that Wizards put something called "All About Illusions" and recommending the use of percentiles on things with numerical variables to decide if they work