PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Super boost Cleric

thornedroses
2009-12-13, 12:32 PM
So if there's anyone like me, You can see your magnificent tank cleric, spending the first few rounds of an unprepared fight watching his allies die as he boosts himself with his typical routine.
This class is partially built for flavor since i have been told it is weak

Invoker of the Nya

The nya were an ancient tribe with a very strong theocracy, but no real warriors, how they managed to survive would have been a mystery, until one discovered the secrets of their temples. The most powerful Nya priests could layer up to five spells onto themselves with the time most took to cast one, and their crown jewel was an ability to extend spell ranges starting small but eventually expanding to small legions of their fellows. The nya eventually perished at the hands of a magocracy, But their techniques live on.
requirements

Spellcraft 4 ranks, knowledge religion 8 ranks
Feats: Divine ward (PHBII)
Spell casting: divine caster level 5

Invoker of The Nya
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|divine layer I(one active, two spells)|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|contingent layering, Invoke the Nya (Courage)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Divine layer II(One active, two spells each|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Speed layer, Invoke the Nya (Speed)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|divine layer III (two active, two spells each|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Divine barrage I, Invoke the nya (Vigor)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Divine layer IV (Three active, two spells each|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Divine Barrage II|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Divine retribution| +1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Divine layer V (Three active, three spells each|[/table]

Divine layer: You have discoverd the secret of the Nya, at each level of the layer, you may create one layer (one with divine layer I, two with divine layer II and so on) Each layer takes one minute to create per total level of the spells going into it. (for example If you put pulls strength and bears endurance (each second level spells) it takes four minutes to create)

"Active" layers are those that actually effect you, and at each level you may have the indicated number of spells in each layer. Each layer takes a move action to apply or switch out but see Speed layer below

Each layer lasts for one minute per character level

Contingent layer: You may have a layer activate on a condition of your choice, as the contingency spell

Speed layer: layers are applied and changed as swift actions
Invoke the nya: You may have one of these auras active at a time

Courage: You and your allies within thirty feet are immune to fear effects unless they are spells cast with higher caster level then yours
Speed: You and your allies within 30 feet have +10 foot land speed.

Vigor: You and allies within twenty feet have fast healing equal half your caster level

Divine Barrage I: A number of times per day equal to you charisma modifer you can combine two spells that require a saving throw into one casting. All saving throws are made as though they were two seperate spells. Casting time is all that changes. The combined spell level of the two spells cannot exceed ten

Divine retribution: Arcane spell casters take a -2 saving throw penalty against your spells, as the spirits of the nya slain in battle take their revenge in a subtle way

Divine barrage two: as above but they use the higher level spell for the dc of both saving throws if applicable, and any level of spell may be used. Total spell level cannot exceed 15

Milskidasith
2009-12-13, 12:36 PM
It's not worth three lost caster levels. If you want to have buffs up, pick up some nightsticks and DMM persist. You are solving a nonproblem with a weak PrC.

thornedroses
2009-12-13, 12:39 PM
I realized the three lost caster levels could hurt but if you factor in Invoke the nya and Divine barrage. You can still hold your own. Also its partially for flavor. In addition as a pixie i probably don't have the right to say this, but i prefer constructive critiscm to people just telling me why it sucks.

Also three lost caster levels wont hurt too much, as you still get ninth level spells.

Lappy9000
2009-12-13, 01:01 PM
Just joined yesterday, eh? Welcome to GiantITP Forums! (particularly the Homebrew Forum; best one around :smallwink:)

Here's a few things:

Bold Prerequisites and Class Features. A little bit of polish makes everything easier to read and adds a general sense of snazziness.
Can you describe the layers a bit more? I find it to be rather confusing and vague at the moment.
I think Primal Shout is missing.
Be sure to tell what the abilities are, such as Extraordinary Ability (Ex), Supernatural Ability (Su), or Spell-Like Ability (Sp). Most of the ones here look like Super Natural Abilities.
The System Reference Document (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm) is a great resource to compare formatting.

In addition as a pixie i probably don't have the right to say this, but i prefer constructive critiscm to people just telling me why it sucks.Rank really doesn't mean anything on these forums. Just ask the mods (or don't actually, 'cause we're not formally supposed to discuss it).

Also three lost caster levels wont hurt too much, as you still get ninth level spells.
This is true, but you must be careful when making classes titled as "Super Boost Cleric" or "Wizard Killer" because expectations will be that the class ranks around the normal amount of caster cheese.

thornedroses
2009-12-13, 01:04 PM
I changed primal shout to divine retribution, and the tilte was kind of a joke.

And i can very easily describe the layers.

Basically, you can have a number of layers active equal to the number after the class ability on the table.

Each layer takes a number of minutes to prepare equal to the total level of spells going into it... ANd i have to go so i'll finish as soon as can

Milskidasith
2009-12-13, 06:16 PM
You still get ninth level spells... three levels late. Before then, you are two spell levels behind, in exchange for getting a few buffs up you could already have up just by having DMM: Persist.

As I said, having to buff is a nonproblem, because you can quicken your buffs or persist them. And the reason this sucks is because you lose three caster levels, and thusly have weaker spells and are constantly one or two spell levels behind except at level 20.

Lappy9000
2009-12-15, 11:47 PM
You still get ninth level spells... three levels late. Before then, you are two spell levels behind, in exchange for getting a few buffs up you could already have up just by having DMM: Persist.Word on the vine is that Divine Metamagic, and Persist in particular is a rather cheesy tactic, so that may be a bad example. However, your point does have some merit.

Let's see this class in the full!

thornedroses, any luck in getting those layers put together?