PDA

View Full Version : [D&D] Adapting 3.5 Prestige Classes to 4e

Aron Times
2009-12-13, 01:51 PM
My latest character, pending DM approval, is a Sorcerer/Wizard/Ultimate Magus. I created this character because I thought that I couldn't create him in 4e. I first tried creating an Ultimate Magus using the multiclass rules, then the hybrid rules. Both builds were playable, but not quite up to CharOp standards.

So I went back to the drawing board and broke the prestige class down to its component parts:

1. Augmented Casting - The Ultimate Magus casts lower level spells than single-class sorcerers or wizards, but makes up for it with better metamagic ability. Basically, they get to cast enhanced versions of lower level spells.

2. Dual Caster Progression - This can be represented by a multiclass or hybrid character.

3. Arcane Spell Power - This can be represented by Implement Expertise.

I then looked at the common builds for Ultimate Magi:

1. Blaster - Apply Twin Spell or similar metamagic to Orb spells or similar damage-dealing spells to deal massive damage. Powerful, though nowhere as broken as Incantatrix + Arcane Thesis.

2. Chain Buffer/Debuffer - Use Chain Spell on buffs like Heroism and Greater Magic Weapon and on debuffs with no saving throws such as Enervation and Dispel Magic. Basically the Batman Ultimate Magus.

Anyway, the closest approximation that I can come up with is a Bard|Wizard/Academy Master. The bard has buffs and debuffs, the wizard has blasting and debuffs, and the Academy Master dramatically improves the character's at-wills, similar to how the Ultimate Magus dramatically improves the character's 5th-level or lower spells through Augmented Casting.

I didn't have space for the White Lotus feats, since this is just a level 11 build, but there is room for them as this character gains levels. Also, I gave him two vanilla wands since the Character Builder currently does not allow you to create custom wands. I would've given him dual Wands of Color Spray +3 for daze-locking opponents.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Corral Gish, level 11
Human, Bard|Wizard, Academy Master
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Will
Background: Occupation - Scholar (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 24 Will: 25
HP: 62 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +12, Arcana +18, Perception +12, Religion +14, History +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +8, Heal +10, Intimidate +12, Nature +10, Stealth +10, Streetwise +12, Thievery +10, Athletics +7

FEATS
Human: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Implement Expertise (wand)
Level 4: Enlarge Spell
Level 6: Destructive Wizardry
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 10: Jack of All Trades
Level 11: Arcane Reach

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Thunderwave
Hybrid Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Hybrid Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Hybrid encounter 1: Blunder
Hybrid daily 1: Flaming Sphere
Hybrid utility 2: Song of Courage
Hybrid encounter 3: Color Spray
Hybrid daily 5: Song of Discord
Hybrid utility 6: Wall of Fog
Hybrid encounter 7: Timely Distraction
Hybrid daily 9: Wall of Fire
Hybrid utility 10: Illusory Wall

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Magic Wand +3 (2), Veteran's Drowmesh +3, Cloak of Distortion +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

So, what do you think?

Saph
2009-12-13, 02:38 PM
So, what do you think?

Well, I'm not sure what you were trying to do. The main distinctive feature of the 3.5 Ultimate Magus is that they can use both spontaneous-spellslot and Vancian-spellslot casting. Both were dropped from 4e, so the point of the Ultimate Magus class is kind of gone, isn't it?

Siegel
2009-12-13, 02:52 PM
Let a Sorc swap his Daylies arround like a Wizard can ?

Kurald Galain
2009-12-13, 03:35 PM
1. Augmented Casting - The Ultimate Magus casts lower level spells than single-class sorcerers or wizards, but makes up for it with better metamagic ability. Basically, they get to cast enhanced versions of lower level spells.
Getting lower level spells is easily done: you may select e.g. a 1st-level daily instead of a 5th-level daily. Not that level-1 spells are necessarily less powerful, though.

Enhanced versions are best done through items: carry an orb of inevitable continuance and a staff of the warmage, and voila: decent metamagic.

2. Dual Caster Progression - This can be represented by a multiclass or hybrid character.
In practice, it can be represented just as easily by a single-class character.

Overall, the tradeoff that you get (1) less higher-level spells and (2) more lower-level spells doesn't exist in 4E. The closest you can get is paragon multiclassing, but if you want something up to charop standards, that ain't gonna fly.

Anyway, the closest approximation that I can come up with is a Bard|Wizard/Academy Master.
That's... not such a great combo, considering bards work on charisma and wizards don't need charisma. Note that bards can also blast, and wizards can also buff (e.g. Mass Resistance, and Jump), so a better combo would probably be bard/academy master or wizard/academy master.

Overall, the concept of an ultimate magus is really a character that uses lots and lots of magic. This is probably best represented by a straight wizard.