PDA

View Full Version : Kreados (Evil Team)

Pages : [1] 2

Elfin
2009-12-13, 03:15 PM
It had been hours since the brazier was lit.
Now all that remained was a flicker, nighted breath that cast a gloomy flicker about the dark stone walls; you could almost hear its deathly whispers echoing through the blackness.
And havened within its small breadth of light, the three of you stood.
Zaphon clutched the fateful parchment in his hands: an ancient, weathered scroll marked with strange runes. It thrummed with power, with fate; the faded symbols watched you like ebon eyes.

Only six days ago had you discovered it, abandoned in this temple hidden deep beneath the Sunspires. At the time, you had been exploring the delves of the umber hulks in hope of securing some as minions; but that hardly mattered now.

For if the parchment spoke true, then upon it were the secrets to bringing about the return of Zarus - Zarus, who long ago was slain, Zarus, Lord of the Eld, who once ruled. Who knew what fell things the dead god could work, if he was awoken? Perhaps he would crumble all the works of Men, and bring the world to ruin; yet still, whoever returned him to power would surely be bestowed with fabulous gifts.
Ancient magics, wrought here in this same darkness many ages ago would unleash him: and now they were yours.
The words of the parchment, translated with much labour, were thus:

Zaros shall return, to rule upon the World
He who was wronged shall again be made whole
The light that was darkened shall be kindled again,
Thus to carve upon Kravell his godly realm.

Body, mind, and soul must reunite:
The first, the horned Heart of might,
Infernal claws and dragon's bite:
Kor's, who once was Lord of Night.

The second, Mind beneath the Light
Where wicked minds twist flesh and sight
Where flaying whips revere the Dark,
And mortal hearts but slim respite.

And last, the Soul unseen by Men
The...

Yet there, the scroll was torn, and however long you searched, you could not find the rest.

And now...now it lay to you to decide what to do.

Surgo
2009-12-13, 10:04 PM
"Well, we got part of it." Zaphon frowned. He made sure to commit everything, both the translated text and the original, to memory. "At least we know it's genuine. Divinations don't lie."

"What I'd like to do is learn the language, to make sure we aren't missing anything in a shoddy or partial translation. But failing that, it's pretty clear that Body, Mind, and Soul are a metaphor for something a little more tangible. Body is probably an object. We can't go off nonsense, though. what we need are more divinations."

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-14, 10:17 PM
Zechs stands against the wall with the sword chuckling at his hip. Up until then he'd still done his best to refrain from killing innocents. Either by not fighting them at full strength, or specifically aiming away from their vitals. He was still going to hold to that, especially considering his reasons for following these people in the first place.

Don't look at me...Ain't no mage.

Tavar
2009-12-14, 10:53 PM
Lord, could not the first refer to beasts of legend, perhaps? The mention of a Dragon's bite, and a feinds claws seems to lead to parts of a creature, though what the Horned Hear of Might is escapes me at the moment.

Surgo
2009-12-15, 10:39 AM
"That is likely, my friend. You have a strong connection with your ancestors from times greater than these; perhaps they can provide additional wisdom and guidance for this situation?"

Tavar
2009-12-15, 01:45 PM
Perhaps, but if possible I'd prefer to not bother the honored dead until we know more: playing 20 questions with them is a bit disrespectful. Though there seem to be some other possible avenues of research: who was Kor, and what relevance was he to this, and the second verse seems to be talking of a location, though it seems rather unspecific. And of course, we need to find the rest of the scroll.

Surgo
2009-12-15, 02:01 PM
"At the least, there's nothing more to be found here. Let's go somewhere a bit more secure to examine this in detail."

Tavar
2009-12-15, 02:24 PM
Agreed. Should we take the scroll with us, or simply destroy it?

Surgo
2009-12-15, 04:07 PM
Zaphon stops to think for a moment. "Let's keep it with us for now. I'll keep it in my cloak -- there is no place more secure. If the unthinkable happens and we come close to losing it, I'll destroy it."

DJDizzy
2009-12-15, 07:08 PM
"Agreed, what should be our next move? I for one suggest that we go and look for the last part of this scroll. The riddle suggests dragons and devils so we could go look up an ancient dragons hoard or take a visit the the other planes" Zaralen says in a monotonous voice, specks of dark light visible beneath his bone armor.

Tavar
2009-12-15, 07:14 PM
As he moves to leave, Judas slaps his forehead.
Of course, that's where I've heard the term before: Kor refers to the Tarrasque. I don't relish fighting him, but it directly references his heart. Of course, we'll have to find the damn thing first: it hides in it's lair most of the time, and no one's found that yet.

Surgo
2009-12-15, 07:22 PM
"The Tarrasque?" Zaphon stops for a moment. "Now that's something I haven't heard about in a long time. I always thought it was just a myth..."

"I can summon beings from the planes beyond, and question them, as to location. If any know, we can know too. If you're certain about the meaning of Kor, we had best get prepared for a good fight."

DJDizzy
2009-12-15, 07:30 PM
"The tarrasque sleeps for centuries at a time, we would have only about 6 weeks or so, before it goes back to sleep again. Granted we have to be alive by the time it wakes up in order for that to work"

Tavar
2009-12-15, 07:32 PM
I'm certain. And I believe it's been a 50 years since it's last rampage, so it'd be a long wait. We'll probably have to try and find it.

Elfin
2009-12-17, 12:09 AM
Zaphon:
Plumbing the depths of your memory, you recall that a Tanar'ri lord, Varrash-Kral, once boasted that he had the power to unleash the Tarrasque.
However, though a general of the Ebon Tower for decades, Varrash-Kral was slain some ten years ago by the swordsage Harran Turiyeshor; while the demon cannot be truly slain unless killed on his own plane, the Abyss, he has not appeared on the Material Plane since his death.

If you remember correctly, Varrash-Kral makes his home on Thanatos, the same layer of the Abyss where Orcus dwells.

Surgo
2009-12-17, 10:43 AM
"I know someone we can ask to find the Tarrasque's location. Only problem is, he's on a rather nasty layer of the Abyss."

(Short post for now, I won't be back until this evening.)

Tavar
2009-12-17, 01:11 PM
No one goes into the Abyss if they can help it, but if we need to go there, you have my sword.

Surgo
2009-12-17, 09:34 PM
"I'm not saying it's what we're necessarily going to do, but it's one lead. I know the creature I'm referring to can lead us to the Tarrasque, but there may be another way. That is just what I know."

Elfin
2009-12-19, 02:24 PM
The three of you, pondering this strange discovery, make your way out of the temple, past great marble halls now spun with shadows, past altars stained with blood spilt long ago, past roughly-hewn stone chambers forested with pillars and great facades carved with sigils and designs of ancient craft.

At last you come out into the delves of the Umber Hulks, winding tunnels of earth and stone - you maneuver through the narrow passage leading to the temple, and enter a great, high-ceilinged cave, stalactites dripping down upon you like huge fangs of stone. The burrows now twist in every direction, spewing darkness into the edges of the cavern; what do you do?

Tavar
2009-12-19, 08:56 PM
Whose job was it to make the map? As, I think we will need it to exit this cave.

Elfin
2009-12-20, 03:08 PM
Assuming one of you mapped the way out, you have no problem navigating to the surface. After a few days of weary and uneventful travel through the sprawling tunnels of the Umber Hulks, you come to a great entrance, flooded with sunlight.
Upon exiting, you find yourselves atop a snow-crowned peak on the eastern edge of the Sunspire Mountains, gazing down upon the green lands below; like a patchwork quilt, the lush Deluge Jungle spreads out beneath you, glittering rivers snaking through the foliage.
To the north, yo can just barely make out the verdant plains of the Kingdom of Naramis; you must be on the very northern edge of the vast Deluge.

Surgo
2009-12-20, 03:42 PM
"I am left wondering, whether or not the Umber Hulks knew of the treasure sitting in their caves. It's a shame it's hard to ask one of them. I strongly, strongly suspect that something else lived here long ago with the Umber Hulks. If only we could ask one..."

Tavar
2009-12-20, 08:13 PM
I think you are right, but perhaps we should wait to pursue that another time: our first goal should be to investigate more information regarding the Tarrasque. Perhaps a center of learning might be of use.

DJDizzy
2009-12-23, 12:23 PM
"The option of the abyss is still open. I am assured that my patron will see me through the layers and back"

Tavar
2009-12-23, 12:47 PM
Perhaps, but dealing with Demons is tricky at the best of times. Doing so on their turf even more so. At the very least, I believe that we should seek out more information on this demon: it can only help our bargaining position. Perhaps we should head to the Free City, in Naramis, or Sapphire Citadel.

Surgo
2009-12-28, 04:35 PM
"The Sapphire Citadel contains what remains of the once-great Amperian library -- we should examine that first. If all are in agreement, I will walk us there by the wind."

Tavar
2009-12-30, 02:54 AM
That sounds agreeable to me. What say you, Zechs? Zaralen?

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-30, 09:55 AM
Zech stand from his leaning position. Fine.

Surgo
2009-12-30, 11:19 AM
With no objection noted, I Wind Walk the team to the Sapphire Citadel so we can start researching.

Elfin
2009-12-31, 05:02 PM
As Zaphon mutters a whispered incantation, tendrils of force bear you upwards into the skies, where all of your group are swept to the east on seaward winds, carried through the pale blue skies which darken as they reach their rich cobalt vaults above you..
The lush Deluge Jungle unravels before you, at last giving way to green farmland and bustling towns.
None notice you, save a few eagles, fellow travelers gliding atop the rivers of wind; at last below you is the road marking the border of Amperia, land of kings.
Now the hazy pinnacles of the Sapphire Citadel lie ahead, wreathed in wisps of feeble cloud; not wanting to draw the attention of the Vix Tholm you maneuver to the ruined, war-torn southern half of the city. There you gently land amongst crumbling, burnt-out buildings, choked with weeds and with cracked cobblestones.
You're in the Sapphire Citadel, capital of Amperia.

Surgo
2010-01-01, 01:18 AM
I, at least, go to do what we came here for: hit the books. Study. Find everything we can dig up about the Tarrasque.

Elfin
2010-01-01, 02:09 PM
Zaphon (and anyone who goes with him):
After making your way through a number of winding streets and crossing to the northern quarter of the city, you arrive at the great library of the Vix Tholm: a mighty building of marble, statues of heroes of old havened within niches carved into the pearly facade.
A great flight of steps lead to grand, gilded doors: for all their mass they open easily, revealing the interior of the place.
It's an enormous room, high-ceilinged, and for the most part crammed with shelves stuffed full of countless parchments.
To your right, the shelves end, giving way to a number of plain wooden benches and tables; sitting at them are some half-dozen scholars in robes of midnight blue, pouring over stacks of scrolls and dusty books.

One of them, seeing your arrival, stands and strolls over to where you are; he has a short, neat white beard and his face is crossed with lines of age.
Seeing a golden emblem woven upon his robe you presume he must be of some importance.

The scholar speaks in a hushed tone:
"Greetings: I bid you welcome to the Imperial Library. I am Darius, First Sage here; what is it that you seek, my fine men?"

Surgo
2010-01-02, 01:30 PM
"Thank you for your kind greeting, good sir. We are performing research on the most ancient beasts of the world in an attempt to create a new manuscript; any sources you have on the subject to study would be most appreciated."

Let me know if I need a bluff check, Elvenblade.

Elfin
2010-01-02, 03:08 PM
None is needed.

"A project most intriguing!"
The old man's eyes light up, and he eagerly leads you to a row of shelves near the right end of the library; you can see near you a pair of sturdy, wooden doors leading out of the main room.

Darius walks about halfway down the isle, all the way running his finger along the spines of weathered books; he at last selects one and lovingly blows dust off its bottle-green cover.

He ushers you toward him, and speaks quietly, as seems his wont.
"Fine sirs, feel free to peruse the shelves of this section, where we keep records of fabulous beasts: and this book, especially, I think, will be of use to you."

Darius brandishes the book in his hands, and you can now make out the fragile words woven upon it in gold- Kravellion: A Compendiumme of the Beastes of the Realme of the Land of Kreados.

"It was written, some hundred and eighty years ago, by Karon of Ironhame, a great explorer: he disappeared on his last adventure, but not before laying down this account of the wondrous creatures he had encountered over the years...his descendants still live in Ironhame, and my predecessor, the twenty-third First Sage, convinced them to give this fine volume to the Imperial Library. But enough rambling: best of luck!"

With that, Darius leaves you to the piles of books and papers.

If you want to search the shelves, make a Knowledge (History) or Knowledge (Arcana/Nature) check.

DJDizzy
2010-01-06, 09:44 AM
"Hmm, these manuscripts might have some use, but unfortunately this is not my forte" Zaralen says as he starts to idly flip through the texts "Bah, this is the work for lowly minions, not an agent of death" he mutters annoyed

Surgo
2010-01-06, 01:15 PM
"For any extended concept, research is inevitable." Zephon states simply, before going back to reading.

I was hoping the existence of the library would allow us to get around making knowledge checks to find information inside of it; I figured that knowledge was what we actually knew, and the libraries were what we could find out.

Tavar
2010-01-06, 01:17 PM
And no man is above honest work.

Moving to the shelves, Judas begins to search for any relevant information.
Knowledge: History [roll0]

Elfin
2010-01-06, 03:30 PM
It is, in essence; these checks are more to see if you can recognize any useful texts. The library is lowering the DC of the checks by 15, and giving you substantially more knowledge on a successful check.
I suppose I should have made it Search or Spot, so those checks will work fine as well.

Judas looks through the collection of manuscripts, and sees a few helpful texts: On the Creatures of the North and their Lairs, a slim volume bound in red leather; Bestiary, a bundle of yellowed pages cramped with embellished lettering; Beasts of Old, a thick tome filled with many-colored illuminations.

Taking out that last, however, one more catches his eye: a creased and torn scroll, thoughtlessly pushed behind the larger work.
Carefully unravelling it, Judas sees the flowing script atop the page:

The Kor
By Kuthar of Ironhame, son of Karon Swiftstride

Tavar
2010-01-06, 03:32 PM
Well, I think this might be useful.
Showing his find to the others, Judas, sits at a table and begins to read the book, starting with the table of contents.

Go natural 20's!

BizzaroStormy
2010-01-06, 03:47 PM
Zechs lurks in the corner of the room, leaving the bookworms to their work.

Elfin
2010-01-06, 04:05 PM
Beneath the title is the date of writing, some fourteen years previously; the whole of the work is in the same flowing hand. There is, in fact, no table of contents - it jumps straight into the body of writing.

The Kor

Many ages ago, when the sun was young, and the flame of Life was but newly kindled in the World, the gods walked freely upon the green lands of Kravell.
Of the many lands that stretched between the Seas of Dawn and the Isles of Dusk, however, it is said that Kreados was their most favoured: and they circled it about with seas of silver and azure, that none might disturb its peace even in the after days: and they gave unto it bounty unfettered, and the rivers ran with fish, and crops sprang forth, golden and green, in cold and in warmth, in arid winds and flowing rains.

Then all was wonderful, and the creatures of Kreados rejoiced.

Now, though the Gods were loath to leave Kreados, they still often were bound by the Edicts of Eld to tend to other realms or to ascend to their domains above the stars; and in their absence they wished not for harm to come to the bliss of Kravell.
Thus the Gods appointed a number of creatures who held much might and grace to be the caretakers of the mortal lands; and these were the Kor.
Twelve was their number, one for each of the lands of Kravell, and according to the annals of the elder days their names were thus:

Next part is coming up; do you want to read about all the Kor, or shall I just skip to the Tarrasque?

Surgo
2010-01-06, 04:08 PM
Zephon takes detailed notes of both the relevant and irrelevant parts, of this and a few other books. Not necessarily because he wants the information, but because he wants to keep up the scholarly disguise. Maybe he will try to get a publication out of it after all!

Elfin
2010-01-06, 04:17 PM
The other books turn out to be rather disappointing; they each have an entry on the Tarrasque, but mention nothing you do not already know. Lairs says simply that the Tarrasque's is of unknown location, though it seems to be coming southeast in its rampages, suggesting that it lairs in the northern Sunspires.

Reading onward on the scroll, you find sections detailing each of the twelve Kor, which Zaphon takes notes on as well; it seems that all but the last are either dead, presumed dead, or have not been seen for millennia.
Of the twelve, nine were taken by Zaros and corrupted, becoming monsters of terrible power; the Tarrasque was one of these, and one of the only two not slain in the Godswar.

Elfin
2010-01-06, 04:41 PM
The Tarrasque: from The Kor
Lastly here I shall mention the Tarrasque, who of the Twelve is now the only known to yet live.

While all the Elder Beasts, the Kur-Yaatar or Kor, were creatures of unmatched power, and all bore the strength of the earth itself, mightiest was the Tarrasque: and he was named by the Elves Kuradal, that is stone-son, for so great was his power that he was as the mountains' kin.

It is said that in the elder days the Tarrasque was appointed by the gods to be the warden of Kreados: and though, I think, this is only myth, it is of little wonder; for it is told that in that time he wandered the lengths of the land, from the deserts of Andrama, to the mountains where the Raptorans nested, to the green fields and white towers of Taeroes, to whose grey coasts the warlike Dragonkin sailed in proud-masted ships from their empires across the sea to trade with the peoples of Kreados.

In those times, the Kuradal never willingly harmed those who dwelt upon his land with him, and always he would rush to the aid of those in peril; and all were glad, for beside their harmony Kreados spilled with the bounty of the gods when the sun was young.

At a time, though, as is told in many other tales, it came to the mind of Zarus that the World was fair beyond all other things, and that being chief amongst the gods he alone should have mastery of it; but it was written in the Treaties of the Eld made at the Dawn of the World that none, be he man or god or elf, should ever have sole rule of the mortal world: and though his power was mighty Zarus knew that he could not yet defeat all the other of his kin, nor did he dare to openly contest them. Thus he laboured many ages in secret to conquer the kindling world, for he thought of aught else.
Yet ever his plots, however cleverly wrought, were foiled by the Eld, and chiefly by Seren, Lady of Stars, who had never ceased to be his foe, however fair his guise.

Now at last, growing impatient and wrathful, Zarus forsook his realm in the Outer Lands and purposed to raise a great army, and so take Kravell by force if the other gods would not yield. Thus he cloaked himself in shadow, and summoned to him a staff of adamant, and stealthily set course to Acheron, the blood-stained realm of war; for there, Zarus reasoned, there would be no shortage of those willing to succor his cause.
In those days Acheron was ruled by the Dragonkin, a fell race who held an iron rule over that evil plane, and had conquered besides wide lands in Kravell; and knowing that they would not easily relinquish their mighty citadels, Zarus took all care to avoid them. At first he had no trouble, for easily he could walk unseen when he willed. Yet each day he spent on war-torn Acheron, his magic waned, for he was far from his dominion: and at length, finding none who would aid him, Zarus had become unto a wraith, powerless and weak. Then he resigned himself to death in that hellish place, for even the Eld can be slain when they are severed from the realms they rule; but then lo! Ahead, wreathed in bloody mists, a fortress wrought cunningly of crimson stone rose from the red battlefields of Acheron.
Seeing still a glimmer of hope, Zarus mustered what power he had left, and clothed himself in a form stern and terrible. Then he lifted his great staff, and strode to the citadel’s doors, and rapped upon it thrice.

There he waited, and at last a harsh voice issued from within and echoed across the empty, wasted lands, and it called to Zarus, and demanded that he state his business at the iron doors of the Crimson Citadel; and Zarus replied unto it, telling that he was a mighty warlord who had come to offer both glory and power to whomsoever might dwell in this great fortress.
Then the voice laughed, and Zarus heard the scorn held within it; but still the ponderous doors before him swung open, and Zarus was given entry.

Now he summoned ancient magics, and wove about him spells of enthrallment that all who looked upon him marveled at his might; and he strode through the halls of the Citadel, and none there could deny his prowess.
Thus he came to feast at the tables of the Crimson Citadel, and learned that it was the hold of the Reth Dekala, a cruel and warlike race of demons; and they looked unto men, but dressed in armour scribed with runes of power, and had no bodies but of sorcerous green fire that wafted about them.
The Reth lived only for death and pain and slaughter, for they could not by mortal means be slain; and they delighted at all evil.
And learning of this, Zarus smiled, and told to them the truth of his name and the reason of his coming; and readily the Reth Dekala agreed to aid him in his conquest of Kravell.
Then Zarus was well pleased, and long he spoke with the lords of the Reth of the gathering of armies, and of battle, and of conquest.

Now at last all was made ready, and the clouds gathered above the skies of Kravell; and the armies of Zarus broke forth into the World, and they were terrible. For amongst the fell ranks of the Reth Dekala strode countless hordes of demons, and undead, and nightmarish creatures of Zarus's devising; and about their black banners swirling in the storms of sorcery flew ebon beasts of wing and fang.

Now all lands fell beneath them; but at last, as is told in the annals of the elder days scribed in Amperia before its fall, Zarus was slain by the treachery of Hextor, his dark general: and thus began the Godswar. But know only that, though for two thousand years ceaseless battle raged upon Kravell, at last, fearing for their own survival, the gods made peace: and though ravaged, the world was saved.

In those terrible times much was laid to waste, and the lands of Kreados lay in ruin; and upon the desecrated wastes that now stretched from sea to sea the bodies of the Kor rotted and burned.

But one there was who lived: for the Tarrasque, who had been as many of his kin enslaved by the armies of Zarus and Hextor, and whose blood was wrung from his veins which now ran with black sorcery, had escaped those last, wrathful wars that shook the World; and furthermore, some of the evil within him had dimmed, for Zarus was slain.

Yet still the Tarrasque's wounds were grievous, and still he was a monster who reveled in pain and terror: and he fled to the depths of the mountains, where he succoured his hurts.

Now the Tarrasque wakens but little, for which I am thankful: for when he does wake he leaves behind him a trail of carnage and ruin as only a beast of legend could wreak.

I know now where he lairs, but I shall not share it; for still I hope that I could purge him of his ancient evils, though it might mean his death; and though woeful it might be, so are all things in this world, and to see the Kuradal redeemed would give me great hope, for my land and for my task.

Whether any of these tales bear witness to the truth, you must for yourself decide; for not the wisest sage in all the world could say for sure, I think: and none there are here who can see into the secret hearts of the gods, wherein the only truth doth lie.

Surgo
2010-01-12, 11:10 AM
"If this author truly knows the lair of the tarrasque, we can summon his ancient knowledge to discover it. We could also just check the Sunspires, and see if we find anything there."

Tavar
2010-01-12, 11:23 AM
Considering the source, I doubt Sunspire will shed any new light on the matter. If we truly want to question this man, though, I would be a good idea to first find his resting place: we might be able to get the corpse to answer us, and if that fails, then we can seek more drastic means.

Surgo
2010-01-12, 11:31 AM
Considering the source, I doubt Sunspire will shed any new light on the matter. If we truly want to question this man, though, I would be a good idea to first find his resting place: we might be able to get the corpse to answer us, and if that fails, then we can seek more drastic means.

"Exactly what I had in mind. Let's get on it."

Elfin
2010-01-12, 12:58 PM
Ok; what are your plans for locating him?

Surgo
2010-01-12, 01:14 PM
Look for this guy's biography in the library. That should tell us where he's buried. If that all fails, I'll try to find some outsider that I can summon that has divination spells appropriate to finding the Tarrasque's location.

Elfin
2010-01-12, 06:16 PM
Heading down the aisles of towering bookcases, you find the section on biographies; rifling through the stacks upon stacks of works following the lives of everyone from Kelar, the first king of Amperia, to Reshar, the Master of Nine - however, not one mentions Kuthar of Ironhame.
At last, though, your eyes alight upon a biography of Karon Farstrider, the author of the Kravellion and Kuthar's father.
The parchment is new, the ink not yet faded: the deep purple bindings are still crisp, and crack as the book is opened.

Flipping through the pages, you find a section on Karon's family - it seems that he had three sons, Erai, Telon, and Kuthar; his wife was an Andraman, Ardal.

Ardal and Telon, who was the youngest of Karon's children, were both slain twenty-nine years ago by hobgoblin raiders, en route to the Free City; afterward, both Erai and Kuthar began training at the Harad Devin temple in their hometown of Ironhame.

Only six years after the tragic demise of his wife and son, Karon embarked upon an expedition to the umber hulk lairs of the Sunspires, allegedly in hope of uncovering an ancient, Zarosian temple; however, he never returned.

By this time both his remaining offspring had completed their training at the temple. Erai joined the famed mercenary organization, the Bloodstorm Guild, while Kuthar instead opted to train in the arcane arts: he briefly entertained an apprenticeship with none other than the archmage Quintus Sevenstave himself, though he departed after an argument with the legendary mage.

It turns out that, some ten years ago, Erai was captured and killed by a company of mountain varags; Kuthar, however, still lives, and has settled down peacefully in Ironhame, the town of his childhood.

Here the section ends, giving way to a chapter about the discoveries Karon made in his travels.

Surgo
2010-01-12, 07:13 PM
"Well, two ways to go. Find the guy's living relative, or find his corpse in the Sunspires."

Elfin
2010-01-13, 04:50 PM
Just a reminder: Karon wrote the Kravellion, which you have not yet looked at; his son Kuthar (who's alive) was the one who wrote The Kor.

DJDizzy
2010-01-15, 08:29 AM
"finding his corpse might be easier since there is a way of making a corpse talk"

Surgo
2010-01-19, 10:39 PM
Well, we'll look at the other book yet. All the names have gotten me a little bit confused.

"There is. But if we need a spell to lead us to the corpse, we can use the spell to just lead us to the Tarrasque."

I'm going to start posting every day at this hour.

Elfin
2010-01-20, 01:57 PM
OOC:
Sorry about that; I probably shouldn't have made so many 'K' names.

A pause in conversation seeps through your party, and for a moment there is no sound but for the muffled scratching of quills and the distant breathing of scholars.
Now, you are left to decide upon a course of action.

Elfin
2010-01-24, 02:04 PM
OOC:
I'm ready for the party to reach a final decision.

Surgo
2010-01-24, 02:15 PM
Well, we need guys who can cast the spells. We have a Cleric, can't they cast the divinations? Where'd they go anyway?

Elfin
2010-01-24, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure; I'll send them a PM, though.
And thanks for bearing with me.

Tavar
2010-01-24, 03:57 PM
But if it were that easy, others would have found the Tarrasque already. Something must block their magics. That may not be true for the body.

DJDizzy
2010-01-25, 02:23 AM
"I could try a divination, but I will have to wait untill after midnight in order to cast the spell, since I need to pray for my patron"

My internet and phone crapped out on me, but it should be fixed later today

Elfin
2010-01-25, 02:59 PM
I didn't see that you intended to look at the Kravellion; let me remedy that.

As your hushed tones echo through the aisle, Zaphon breaks open the leather-bound Kravellion. The tone of the writing is similar to that of Kuthar's scroll, but shows a strong tendency for archaism even beyond that of a century and a half ago.
The book opens with a lengthy introduction by a man named Ourin, who seems to have been the previous First Sage of the Imperial Library.
Among other things, it reveals that Karon was half-elven, which at least explains the hundred-and-fifty year gap between the writing of this book and the author's death - it seems that he spent the better part of his years wandering the world before he settled down with his wife, Ardal.

The rest of the book, though, is somewhat disappointing. While the rich vaults of information on all manner of creatures would indeed be invaluable for a study of rare beasts, it has little bearing upon your actual purpose.
The Tarrasque's entry runs some twenty pages, though none makes any mention of the Kor. Nonetheless, nearly all of it contains knowledge that has become common since its publication.

However, a paragraph on the entry's final page catches your eye:

Throughout the Ages manie, countlesse Scholars have maide Attempt to thus discern the Laire of this most terrible and deathlie of Beastes: and most chieflie by that art of Divination, whereby they might Discover where it nestes, and so Rid Kravell of its Menisse.
But none have insofar met with result other than Failure most deepe, for those who Attempteth thus are of such Minde that some fell Force blocks their Descrying of the Creature.
I, also, though not Versed in Magick arts, have by Mortal Travel sought out the Tarrasque in the Sunspires of the North, nigh to Shadowfall the Bleake: but my Searches seeme also in vaine.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-09, 03:04 PM
Yorek Widowmaker: Outskirts of Amperia

It was too bloody hot here. The air was wet and muggy, the insects incessantly nagging and buzzing, the sky too blue, the plants too green, the people too soft and stupid. Yorek sat, his titanic rump baking under layers of fat, fur, inch-thick adamantine plating, and the accursed northern sun. A steady stream of slobber drooled from his black gums, soaking into his red-stained muzzle. He cracked the bloody femur of the peasant boy with a single bite, and sucked down the marrow, half out of boredom, and half out of twisted sadistic pleasure. The poor boy had stumbled into the abandoned warehouse alone, and didn't even have time to scream when he saw Yorek. He had cleaved the boy in half with a casual swipe of his paws, and picked him clean; his meat was gamey and had far too much gristle, not like the juicy, rich seal he preferred. Still, it was meat.

Now that his meal was all but finished, the enormous armored bear began to grow restless. His companions were off in some library, researching, looking at books, doing all the things the tiny naked monkey-people did in their cramped, claustrophobic cities. Yorek had little patience for such things. He was only interested in the end result of their research: power unimagined, the ability to take his rightful place and cast down those who had banished him from his home so long ago. Revenge simmered in his stomach like a slow-burning fire; it was all that was keeping him from murdering the city watch out of boredom.

He could not enter the libraries and archives like his comrades. Yorek had been much happier breaking the necks of umber hulks in the lightless caverns. He grinned at the memory of chopping off one of the bug-creature's arms and beating it to death with its own severed limb. The urskan then scowled, and began to sharpen the steel claw extensions built into his armored paw-gauntlets.
"What's taking them so long?" he grumbled to no one in particular, "I've a thirst for Tarrasque blood that needs quenching."
With that, he grabbed a cask of old rum he had found in a forgotten corner of the warehouse, and downed half of its contents in three titanic gulps.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-09, 03:14 PM
Ulyaoth
"Satisfying your hunger is not high on anyone's priorities, right now.

"And that should include you. Depending on the tenacity of that boy's mother, the boy's disappearance may be noticed within a few hours, and I have no desire to find somewhere even less desirable than this to skulk. The library is large and the information we seek is both difficult to find and suspicious to ask about. It may take them quite some time to uncover what we need. Patience is necessary."

Ulyaoth stood tall and slender, with midnight blue skin and glassy white orbs for eyes. Four long tentacles hung around his mouth, and moved when he spoke. His body was covered in bony plates, and from his back sprouted another ten tentacles, fanned out like a pair of wings behind him. His hands were tipped in vicious claws.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-09, 03:23 PM
Yorek scoffed at Ulyaoth's words. With a grunt, he sent spittle and bits of bone flying.
"Pah. Let his mother come. I'll bite off her teats and make a cup of her skull. Yorek Widomaker fears nothing in this monkey-city. You worry too much, squid-man. *belch* You should sample the next orphan that wanders by." He grinned a ghoulish grin, his inch-long fangs gleaming wetly in the dappled light streaming in from the partially collapsed roof. "Besides, whelps die all the time in such places. The humans think each life is so bloody precious... Hah! They need a good winter to straighten them out. And not one of the little white farts they call winter up here: a good Southern winter! Blinding snows, howling winds, cold enough to freeze the snot in your nose and the blood in your veins. *sigh* How I long for such things. Makes you feel alive..."

Aecus
2010-02-09, 03:31 PM
Vandelion the Knowledge Seeker: The Library

"This annoys me. I had hoped we would find something more than what I already knew, but I guess not, seeing as I have memorized most of this library already. I believe the best approach now would be to inquire after the author himself. If the date of this manuscript is correct, he should still be alive." Vandelion intones in a slightly lyric voice as he leans over the manuscript The Kor.

Standing up Vandelion reaches out for a stretch and suppresses a yawn as the sleeves of his blue robe fall down to his elbow. On his shoulder a small nondescript bat flaps its wings in protest at the jarring before settling down. Standing still for a second, Vandelion then says "Kalabri is chastising me, and I believe he may be right. Too much traveling has left me with lesser patience for pure research. As soon as we are finished I must retreat back to the academy and reteach myself."

"But that is then and this is now. Do you all agree, or do you wish us to pursue another course?" Vandelion asks his companions as he starts to pace up and down the closer shelves of the library, running his fingers over the spines of the many books and manuscripts gathered there. As he does so, he looks to be subvocalizing something, and he occasionally glances down towards the bat riding on his shoulder.

I want to see if I can get any info on Kuthar, the writer of The Kor

Vandelion's familiar is aiding another for the knowledge checks, as he has studied over Vandelion's shoulder and learned with him for over a hundred years.

[roll0]
[roll1]

And then Nobility and Royalty if there is anything about his family line that would be good to know.

[roll2]

DJDizzy
2010-02-09, 03:52 PM
Library

"From where I stand, it seems that the easiest and most accessible way is the abyss. Rather than go and hide and learn more, we should take action, we do not have time for petty books anymore, while we idle away looking for obscure facts in even more obscure books, I am certain that someone is trying to stop us" Zaralen bellows monotonously as he slams his armored fist into the table

Aecus
2010-02-09, 04:08 PM
Library

"Would you truly walk into the abyss when we know that there exists still living a person who knows the location of his lair? If you are so adamant about not wasting time, you should at least consider this option. A simple teleportation effect could take us to this Kuthar fairly simply and nearly instantaneously." Vandelion drones as he responds to his ally.

"Besides, if we are going to consult infernal or abyssal agents there are far better ways of contacting them, and finding their aid. You have no guarentee that a demon we walk into would know the location of the Tarrasque. And the only way of upping the odds of such would be approaching a greater demon, which may be exceedingly foolish in its own right. I would much rather summon a Devil if we do go that route. Their hierarchy is structured such that if one did have the knowledge, we would be pointed towards that one rather quickly. And Devil's do not break deals or spontaneously devour who their are talking to, which demon's do all the time." Vandelion finishes.

For if we do go this route, a Knowledge: The Planes check to see if Vandelion would know of any Demon/Devil or other Outsider that would have information about the Tarrasque.

[roll0]

DragoonWraith
2010-02-09, 05:10 PM
Ulyaoth
"Next time you wish to share, you might remember that I prefer the living. And maybe, next time, you could rise yourself above peasant boys and eat something with a bit of experience worth considering? I really have no use for devouring the memories of one who has known nothing beyond the slum he was born in.

"In any event, worry is inaccurate. I simply have no desire to have to conquer this entire city just to use its library. It's a distraction and a waste of time, and more importantly draws attention we do not want. We're trying to resurrect Zarus; that is the kind of thing that people, and gods, don't like. Zarus was defeated once before; do not doubt that those who did so can defeat you. Never assume there is nothing that can stop you, or else you'll miss that which can. Taking on risks because you are bored is a very quick way to come face to face to that thing."

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-09, 05:39 PM
Ragnar - The Warehouse

Ragnar glowered up at Yorek. The barbarian northman was tall, and his musculature, simply put, was awe-inspiring - he looked the the statue of a war-god brought to life. But for all his bulk and toughness, he moved like a hunting panther - all smooth, supple grace and deadly ease. His great broad-bladed axe, Red Ruin, rested lazily in his grip, and he leaned casually on it.

His features were fine - square-jawed with a strong, narrow nose like a knife's blade and piercing eyes the shade of winter storm. stared up at the bear-man without fear. "Pathetic. A real warrior knows his strength, and a real man has no need to kill the weak for simple pleasure. Endanger us again with your stupid hunger, and I'll make a cloak of your pelt, you mangy half-breed." His voice was colder than the north wind, but there was little rancor in it - only a statement of simple fact.

Behind him, his Speaker, Rolf, stood up from the barrel he'd been sitting on, trying to ignore the snape of bone as the bear-man tore into the child's flesh. He stood between the two of them, raising his hands. "Come now, friends, peace - there's no need for us to quarrel - I'm sure the entire city would be happy enough to lynch us if they knew we were here. Let's not make it worse by fighting among ourselves. It would be a poor end to your saga to die here, old friend."

Ragnar gave a sudden fierce grin and clapped them on the shoulder, laughing long and loud. "Ah, let them come! I doubt these soft southrons have a sword among them that could stand before me, and I fear no man nor beast!"

He turned back to Yorek, his face darkening once more. "My skald has the right of it - we need not fight. Perhaps I spoke too hastily. But keep your hunger in check. I of all men know how sweet it is to sate a hunger, but a warrior knows there is a time and a place. Do not cast aside larger rewards out of simple hunger or boredom - or if you do, don't put my saga at risk doing it. I am here to carve out my legend, not help you gain your petty amusements."

Elfin
2010-02-09, 06:08 PM
Vandelion:
You do, in fact, recall the name Kuthar: a number of years ago, his quarrel with the Archmage Quintus's was well-known.
Since then, though, nothing much has been heard of him, and he has not left his study in Ironhame for quite some time. It is said, though, that he has honed quite a decent skill with the arcane arts.

As for the planes, you have not heard anything other than the claim of Varrash-Kral; it is seldom the outsiders interest themselves in Kravell, and when they do they have not sought the Tarrasque.

To those in the warehouse:
As Ragnar and Ulyaoth finish speaking, it seems that a cold presence grips the room; suddenly whispered words echo through the dark warehouse, and it seems that a forest of unseen eyes are watching you.
Behind your strange party of beasts and barbarians, a swift gust of wind is carried through the rafters, followed by a a great flash of golden fire - and just as swiftly, the aberrant magics fade.

Aecus
2010-02-09, 06:28 PM
Library

"Look, no matter what we do this isn't our choice alone. I still believe Kuthar is the best choice, it shouldn't be too hard for us find him and extract information if it becomes necessary. Lets discuss this with our allies before we decide anything." Vandelion says as he gathers up the various scrolls and items. Slowly he places them all back into their place, that is all except for the scroll of The Kor.

Vandelion did not want to risk his access to any library, so he did not try to steal the scroll. He had already memorized it, so there was little use in such. Rather, he turned to one of the most unused parts of the library, and while pretending to look at books he wedged the scroll in the binds of a singular one before putting it back in place. The book he wedged the scroll in was named Depictions of the Fecal Matter of various Domesticated House Pets, a book he was sure few would look in.

When that was finished, Vandelion strode back to his companion, and then started towards the abandoned house, looking back only once to see if his companion was following him.

Before leaving the library Vandelion made sure to thank the scholar who had helped with their search. As all enemies of Vandelion well knew, it was a bad idea to get on the wrong side of a librarian.

I would like to roll for some information on this Archmage if possible.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

In addition what do I know of Ironhame? I think Vandelion would have visited there in his journeys, even if there wasn't a library (as Dwarven runes would have been a part of his studies) If necessary

[roll3]
[roll4]

Elfin
2010-02-09, 06:42 PM
Vandelion:
On the Archmage:
Born a little over seventy years ago, Quintus Sevenstave was trained as a wizard in his homeland of Naramis. He rose quickly through the ranks of arcane adepts, and after finishing his training set off to travel the world.

He is renowned for the many heroic exploits he achieved during this time- most famous amongst them, his exploration of the patoren realm of Thess, his great voyage to Frostfell far to the south, and, near the end, an expedition into the blasted wasteland of Taeroes.

Quintus returned from his adventures looking to settle down, but quickly became involved in the politics of the Free City's four guilds of magic. Seeking to again make an even greater name for himself, Quintus became determined to gain a seat of high power, and soon became the Archmage of all four. Since then, Quintus has become one of the greatest defenders of Light.

On Ironhame:
Ironhame is a large town in western Naramis, bordering the Deluge Jungle; it bustles with a huge number of travelers from across Kreados, and is famed especially as being a center of learning for martial adepts.

It is not hard to make your way through the crowded city to the warehouse where your companions are, though along the way you find yourself bombarded by calls from a number of enthusiastic merchants.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-09, 07:20 PM
Yorek sniffs the air, his voice a low rumble.
"What in bloody blazes was that?"
He gets up off his haunches and paces about a bit on all fours, each armored paw causing the floorboards to creak and groan in protest. With surprising deftness for all his bulk, the armored bear quickly reattaches the steel claw extensions to his armor, and secures his magic bag of holding to his back.
"It would seem our waiting is over. I've a feeling we won't be here much longer."

Yorek's going to keep a keen eye out, and an even keener nose out, thanks to his Scent ability. Was that magical display the handiwork of one of our allies, or something unknown?

Critical
2010-02-09, 07:28 PM
T'kkyl - Warehouse

The T'kkyl has finished all that he needed and swiftly approached the abandoned warehouse, where the members of his team were likely to be in. The Thri-Kreen tried hard to conceal his features and wore a dark cloak to cover his racial features, also keeping all of his arms under it, which were holding his magical saps. They weren't only useful, but they also were soft and squishy, which made them pleasurable to hold.

The bug-like creature entered the building, taking off his cloak and putting his saps aside, somewhere where he could swiftly draw them. As he was doing it, he spoke in an unusual manner, consisting of many clicks and clacks, sometimes missing a letter or two, due to inability to pronounce it because of his mouth structure, however his companions were probably already used to it. "Alright, you'd better inform me what's going on and how is the search progressing." - he said, taking out a trail ration and starting eating it and drinking water from his waterskin. After taking a few gulps, he spoke up again. - "And where are Vandelion and Zaralen? We shouldn't be just sitting around here!" With that said, T'kkyl moved aside, got some kind of target for himself and started practicing throwing daggers.

OOC and some info on the Character for the fellow players(it's assumed that we know each other ICly):
Hello, it's nice to join this game! Thri-Kreen, also known as mantis warriors, are mantis-resembling creatures with four arms, their facial structure is different, so is the speech - they speak in clicks and sometimes miss or misspell a letter. Thri-Kreen don't like being called bugs(Kreen after all means person). Also, my character is known as the Mantis Reaper. Well, I guess that's about it.

Aecus
2010-02-09, 07:46 PM
Vandelion - The Warehouse

"I'm here now. The search was more fruitful than could have been expected. We know the name of a living person, one Karus of Ironhame, who knows where the lair of the Tarrasque is, if he has not lied about such." Vandelion says as he strides into the Warehouse. "However, we have a choice. Zaralen has suggested that we instead journey into the abyss to attempt to extract this information from some demons, who admittedly if we get lucky we could find one of the ones who was in Zarus' army and might know where the Tarrasque is. But in any case, unless you all have suggestions these are our choices right now. Either the Abyss, or the Dwarf."

Sorry for the persistent rolls, but I had one more question. Do I know what the quarrel between the Archmage and Karus was about?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-09, 07:55 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar cast his head about, suddenly wary. His grip on the haft of his axe tightened, and his head swung slowly from side to side. A predator at heart, he did not enjoy the feeling of being watched. I don't know... maybe we'd best have this conversation elsewhere. The light and the wind make me think that perhaps we're not as alone as we should be.

Rolf, meanwhile, chanted softly, murmuring a few stanzas from the tale of Yngir, the white trickster-fox. In the tale, Yngir used his cunning to outwit Nori, the ever-watching owl of the wastes and cheat him of his meal - just as Rofl's spell would hopefully mislead any magical watchers.

Rolf's casting Misdirection, and also making some knowledge checks after that's done, to see if he knows of this dwarf, or of the conflict between the Archmage and Zarus.

[roll0]
[roll1]

DragoonWraith
2010-02-09, 08:14 PM
Ulyaoth
"Some magics just made their way through. Felt cold, felt like being watched. Accompanied by whispered words and a brief golden flame. Divinations, perhaps? I know not, but I agree with Ragnar; our decision ought to be made elsewhere. Even as it is, you may have inadvertently made others aware of our quarry."

Elfin
2010-02-09, 09:16 PM
OoC:
Just a reminder: Zarus is the name of the dead god.
Kuthar is a human mage who lives in the human town of Ironhame, and wrote The Kor, in which he claims to know the location of the Tarrasque's lair.
(Karon is his father, a half-elven explorer, who wrote the Kravellion and died years ago)

Oh, and the magic was of unknown source.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Vandelion and Rolf:
It is not known what the quarrel was about, only that it caused Kuthar to leave his apprenticeship with Quintus (which was something of an oddity in itself, as Quintus had no apparent reason to apprentice Kuthar in the first place).

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-09, 09:37 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar looks around once more, warily, and then heads for the exit of the warehouse, axe still in hand. Rolf moves to follow him. "I've called up a magic that should shield us from prying eyes - all the same, let's begone before they thing to cancel it, or try again, if we are being watched."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-09, 09:38 PM
Yorek swallows the last of the keg of rum, then crunches the barrel to splinters between his two paws.
"Let's get a move on," he growls, "Yorek Widowmaker fears no coward that spies with magics from safety, but if you're all so insistent on being prudent then let us take whatever precautions need be. To the Abyss or the bottom of the ocean with us, it matters not to me, just as long as we start moving."

Critical
2010-02-10, 02:44 AM
T'kkyl

"Huh, did I miss something? Magic? Where? And could someone please explain to me: who the hell is Tarrasque and Karus is?" - the Thri-Kreen said, removing his daggers from his improvised target and getting ready to move. "And is there anything else I should know?" - he added, putting on his black cloak and grabbing all of his saps, holding them in his hands, concealed behind the black cloak.

Holding all of the four +1 Warning Saps again.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-10, 02:35 PM
"Have you been hiding under a rock like a roach? The Tarrasque's the whole reason we're on this wild goose chase. We're trying to bring back a fell power cast down by the gods of yore, and the spell requires one fresh Tarrasque heart. You might have heard of it? A legendary monster that eats whole cities for breakfast? Maybe in Bug-Land you all fear the Great Swatter in the Sky instead.
And Kuthar is some poor bastard who made the mistake of claiming he knows where the Tarrasque is. If he's still alive, I don't envy the poor monkey-man. We're off to tickle the truth from him, in any case. We saw some kind of magic spell being cast in the area, so chances are some future dead-man's spying on us. So shut that disgusting trap of yours. We don't pay you to think, gnat.
Now are one of you little pink monkeys going to cast a spell and get us out of here, or am I going to have to fight my way out? You can follow the trail of corpses."
Yorek's voice is filled with annoyance and contempt.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 02:54 PM
Ulyaoth
"And that was precisely what we were trying to avoid saying in front of possible divinations."

Elfin
2010-02-10, 03:01 PM
Everyone:
We'll assume that Zaralen is back as well; now that everyone's here what are your plans?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-10, 03:08 PM
At Ulyaoth's words Yorek lets loose a hearty laugh.
"Hah! Let the cowards come. I'll show them my own divination spell: Display Intestines. The subject of the spell gets a first-hand look at their own innards as I tear them from their bloody torsos.
Now, not that any of you mites give a mummer's fart, but my vote's we find this book-human. As much as I'd relish the chance to smash a few demons' heads together, remaining on this plane strikes me as the quicker option, and I'm sick of biding my time."

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 03:08 PM
Ulyaoth
Seeing Zaralen arrive, Ulyaoth faces everyone. "Now that we are all here, we should leave this city to somewhere more comfortable and secure, and then determine what we shall do."

Aecus
2010-02-10, 03:42 PM
"I shall take us outside away from here now. I was not aware that we were being watched by divinations. Come, gather around me and let us be off, I do not care to be watched." Vandelion says as he stretches out his arms and a look of rapture comes upon his face, as he starts to embrace his magic.

Vandelion is going to greater teleport everyone half a mile out from Ironhame, and into the jungle so they won't get spotted as they arrive. (Assuming if he knows whether or not guards regularly travel that far in, if they do he will go out a bit farther)

The next part is assuming nothing goes awry, I'll edit it out of if something does.

Upon arriving at Ironhame, Vandelion comments "This is a town host to enough travelers and in a savage enough location that a few of you could reasonable walk in town if you need anything. However, I think if we are going to investigate who we came for only the indiscreet individuals should confront him at first. Which means me and the Skald. Though you all should probably remain nearby for when we need assistance."

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 03:45 PM
Ulyaoth
"Interrogation would be most unnecessary. Simply get him somewhere I can reach him, and I will tell you everything he knows."

Elfin
2010-02-10, 03:47 PM
If you're not using Greater Teleport, can you roll percentage dice in the OoC thread to make sure nothing goes awry?

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-10, 04:48 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar gives a hearty grin "Where Rolf goes, I go - he can't very well know my saga if we're parted. Besides, I can be 'discreet' - I don't pillage and burn every town I come to. Sometimes I just want to get drunk and find a willing wench or two. And besides, the wise pirate always pillages before he burns. Much more irritating to try to loot a house while it's on fire."

"Not to mention that the wenches are far less appealing when they look like overcooked bacon." Rolf chimed in wryly.

Ragnar nodded in agreement. "There's that. And anyway, since squid-face here can just tear the knowledge out of his brain-meat, we might as well just run in, grab him, and drag him off. It's not like anyone in this rancid little burg is going to have the guts to stop us."

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 05:00 PM
Ulyaoth
"Again, some measure of discretion is desirable. In fact, it would be all the better if one of us could get the information without him ever knowing anyone was even interested in it, but I assume if someone could do that they would have offered by now. We don't need to make a scene of this, so we should not.

"Actually. Perhaps one of you spellcasters can dominate him and have him very publicly declare that he's going off on a new expedition? Somewhere that they won't go looking for him any time soon, and where they won't be surprised that they never did find the body?"

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-10, 05:02 PM
Ragnar

The barbarian simply rolls his eyes at what he sees as the unnecessary subterfuge, but Rolf nods. "I can sing a song that will bend his mind... but isn't he a wizard of some sort? They're usually possessed of an unusual strength of will."

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 05:15 PM
Ulyaoth
"Yes, he's trained in the arcane arts, as well as some martial. Very interested in a 'fabled tenth discipline', referring to Reshar's Temple of the Nine; that's preposterous, of course, as there are quite a few lesser known disciplines that Reshar did not include in his Temple, but these days many assume that the Nine are all there are. The discipline he was interested in, however, certainly does appear in a few obscure texts, however, so regardless of its numbering, if he's found any thing about it he could be somewhat formidable. The discipline supposedly allowed one to 'kindle the flame of rebirth,' which many scholars believe allows one to return to life after death. Though I do not think we'll be leaving him much of a life to return to.

"So, spellcaster, do you think you are up to the task of cracking his mind? I suppose it doesn't really matter; we can simply have Ragnar knock him out and stuff him in a bag if the spell fails, it was just a thought."

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-10, 05:23 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar snickers a little at the idea of him 'knocking the wizard out' - when he 'knocks' someone, it generally involves their head being separated from their body. Or just turning them into a greasy red stain on the floor.

Rolf, on the other hand, just nods. "As you say. And yes, I think I'm up to it." He gives a wicked little smile. "I'm a Speaker for the Slain, after all, and our songs have the power of magic and music together. I can weave spells so cunningly he won't even know that they're there. I'll bind his mind with enchantments that will weaken him, leaving him a drooling fool - not permanently, mind you -, and then we can break his brain-box at our leisure. So long as we can get into see him, that is."

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-10, 05:28 PM
Yorek curls up in a big ball of fur and armor on the forest floor. He yawns, his long, rough tongue tasting the foul, humid air.
"If this doomed man is such a threat, I say it's a shame to trick him with feeble magic. I'd rather test his mettle, and pry answers from his shade after an honorable death. *sigh* More waiting in the woods for Yorek, it seems. Perhaps Ulyaoth, T'kkyl and I can start a three-ring circus in the meantime."

Aecus
2010-02-10, 06:17 PM
Vandelion

"It doesn't even have to be magic we approach him with. The reason I suggested a discreet approach is that I may be able to simply get him to give up the knowledge. I am a well known enough figure amongst my peers that he would not really question my purpose. Most especially if I approach him first about this tenth disciple you mention that he knows. However this is a team effort, if you all wish to risk discovery by the forces of good, death, and all other such horrid affairs then I will work alongside you. I have a need to see Zarus revived; he is the only one who can answer my question." Vandelion says languidly as he strokes the Kalabri's wings.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 06:23 PM
Ulyaoth
"I don't really want to leave someone who can tell anyone who asks that we were looking for the Tarrasque, though if you truly do not think you will draw any suspicion, that's even better.

"And Yorek, I doubt he actually has any of the abilities of the tenth discipline. He's done some martial training, but as far as I know he has led the life of a scholar since he left the temple where he trained as a young man. If anything, I suspect most of his power would be arcane."

Aecus
2010-02-10, 06:35 PM
Vandelion

"The problem comes in that if we do manage to kill him or otherwise dispose him, then he will be missed. He is an important enough person that something as major as him simply disappearing would be a large upset. If anyone so much as spotted us we would be found out anyway. If he does know a secret of resurrection, or even if not, he could easily have a way of resurrecting himself. His soul would go to the celestial realms, and there are ways to question him there." Vandelion says.

"I may not be able to convince him to give me the knowledge, but I do not even have to lie. He said in his scroll that intended to find a way to kill the beast, and do we not intend to slay it? If such efforts fail, then we probably should resort to some sort of alternative plan, but as of now I think that extracting the information by force should be the second option." Vandelion finishes.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 06:52 PM
Ulyaoth
"I am agreed."

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-10, 08:20 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar simply shrugs. "Fine. I care little - I am eager for challenge. For glory. Let us get these pissant tasks done so we can be about the true business."

Elfin
2010-02-10, 08:49 PM
Vandelion mutters a quick incantation, and a powerful force wreathes itself about the group.
Darkness grips you, and for a moment it seems that you are lost in shadow; but slowly, light begins to seep through the veil of the Etherlands and you soon find yourselves tangled amongst jungle vines, bright sunlight beating down through the forest canopy.

The humidity is astonishing - you can almost imagine that you see steam curling from the ground - and the heat is stifling. The skies above are a brilliant blue, and water trickles somewhere nearby; summer is in full blossom.

The trees soon thin out, leaving you with a startling view of a mighty river; it's probably about a quarter-mile wide, and the jade waters rush back into the jungle.

On the opposite side of the river is a towering wall of light brown stone, broken by a large gateway: a dirt road issues from it, dry and cracked in the blistering heat of late summer. The road winds down to the river, where it meets a towering, roofed wooden bridge which spans the waterway.

Aecus
2010-02-10, 09:01 PM
Vandelion

Walking to the forefront of the group Vandelion looks upon the wall of the city and then nods, satisfied. Turning back to the others Vandelion says "Well then. Like I said before, if you can restrain your bestial instincts or diguise yourselves a bit, you should be able to do what you need around the city. This isn't exactly the most civilized of places. Just don't make a scene if you decide to do so. Before we go off however, I think I shall give us the ability to telepathically communicate for the rest of the day. If you agree, that will allow all of us to participate and remain aware of the discussion with Kuthar, in addition to being informed of any other alerts."

With that said Vandelion raises forth his hand again, preparing to cast a spell as he waits for his team mates to agree, or dissent.

If everyone agrees Vandelion is going to sac a Bite of the Weretiger to spontaneously cast an Extended Telepathic Bond so we all can participate in what happens next, if only through suggestions and mental banter.

Elfin
2010-02-10, 09:13 PM
Sounds good.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 09:38 PM
Ulyaoth
"Seems fine to me.

"I must admit, I am also eager to lose the need for discretion. I strongly doubt it is worth the effort to attempt to disguise myself to enter the village, but sitting in the forest is little better than sitting in the warehouse."

Aecus
2010-02-10, 09:57 PM
Vandelion

As the magic settles over the companions, Vandelion comments mentally This might take a bit of getting used to if you haven't done this before. Feel free to chat as you like. It takes a conscious effort to transmit, small, but noticeable. If you try now you should be able to do so in a few seconds. Vandelion thinks to the party as he turns back towards the city and starts to walk towards the walls. Rolf, Ragnar, would you like to accompany me? The rest of you, if possible, lag behind a little so we enter as a separate group.

Alrighty, it seems most of us assent to the bond, if you don't want it on you the spell will simply not include you and fail.

If nothing untoward happens:

I would like to take 10 on a Gather Information check to find out where Kuthar lives in the city and how would be the best way to contact him.

With that I get a check of 33 on Gather Information, and 35 if Rolf aids another.

If this isn't considered a trivial task such as asking a guard for directions, here are the rolls for how long it takes.

[roll0]

Elfin
2010-02-10, 10:57 PM
As you approach the gate, you see that, while the gatehouse proper is rather large, probably almost ten yards high, the gate itself is no more than three and only barely wide enough for an oxcart to travel through.
It's made up of a pair of weathered, oaken doors which stand open, and a low-hanging iron portcullis which lifts with a great groan as you near.

You make your way through the passage made by the thick walls of red stone - and find that you've entered a military compound, with drilling soldiers in the midst of a great cobbled courtyard, and smithies and stables around the edges.

To your surprise, though, you see that there's not a trader to be found, and only a handful of civilians walk about; you soon realize that you must not have come by the main gate, and that this must be a kind of side-quarter of the city, a ward against the Deluge Jungle.

Sure enough, once you look for it you espy another gate, similar to the one you just passed through: this one, however, is thrust open, and reaching out behind it is a crowded street, lined with entertainers in colorful attire and merchants beneath silk awnings, crammed upon the steps of taverns and shops of all sorts.

Unlike the Sapphire Citadel, where the only break to stately citizens and haggling merchants upon their daily business was the occasional silver-plated paladin, Ironhame seems to thrive upon color and bursting sound.

A party of dwarves with red-and-black armor and double-bladed axes push through the crowd, crossing paths with a fair-haired swordsman who bears a small griffin upon his shoulder and a canny-looking woman with a vast array of daggers strapped to her leather garments. Robed elves, eager adventurers, silent swordsages, and many, many more all melt together into a sea of boisterous speech and dusty footsteps.
The buildings here are different as well, many crafted of the same red stone as the city walls, flat-roofed, and bearing bright banners.

However, after getting over the shocking sight of such a concourse, it's not hard to find out where Kuthar lives; apparently, while little is known of him, the man is something of a local legend.
You also find out, as you already know, that he barely ever leaves his small magic shop in the main square, and it's often closed for months at a time: with a hasty point from a busy merchant, you locate the small, oddly (for Ironhame) thatched, half-timber building where Kuthar keeps his abode.
Strangely, the place seems to swim on the edge of your vision, despite how it sticks out among the other buildings - you find that you're half-trying to convince yourself it isn't there at all.
In fact, you get the feeling that if you hadn't been so intent upon finding the place, it wouldn't be there at all...

From what you can tell, the place seems to be empty; however, being a ways away, you're not quite sure.

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-11, 12:26 AM
Ragnar

Ragnar moved through the crowd, and it parted around him - the fact that he was a seven-foot mountain of muscle and armor carrying a greataxe as massively proportioned as he was probably had something to do with it - as did the man's sheer presence. Where he walked, heads turned - and not just because of his ferocious appearance, but because of that indefinable quality of character that made him not merely a man, but a nascent legend.

That's how Rolf was going to put it in the saga, anyway.

The two of them followed Vandelion readily enough, approaching the spellweaver's manse without a hint of trepidation. They had their plan, after all, and they were as certain of its success as they were of the next sunrise.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 06:39 AM
Vandelion

We are at his home my companions. Some sort of spell seems to be warding his home from people finding it casually. One could have expected as much, I shall let you know of the events oncoming as they progress. Vandelion thinks to the rest of his companions. Stepping back slightly from the edge of the house's property, Vandelion mutters a quick spell.

Then Vandelion steps forward again, and approaches the door to the house, and knocks on it firmly, but politely.

From here on assume Vandelion lets everyone know how the encounter is progressing and is matching word for word what Kuthar and everyone else says with his thoughts so no one is left out of it. If Kuthar is here that is.

I am casting Serene Visage to get a bonus a +9 bonus on bluff rolls.

Also, if I am allowed to identify the spell effect as if it was a spell already in place.

[roll0]

I don't know if this may or may not be pertinent, hopefully not as I want this to just be a talking encounter, but my Ring of Spellbattle allows me to identify any spell being cast within 60 ft of me (I auto pass the DC).

Critical
2010-02-11, 11:40 AM
T'kkyl

Alright, keep going. Should we follow or stay for now? - he asked a via the telepatic link, and stopped, waiting for an answer. He found out a nice place to sit and just sat there comfortably, most likely expecting a negative answer.

DJDizzy
2010-02-11, 01:06 PM
"Thank you, my friend. If you need any assistance, I will be ready to assist you" Zaralen says with his monotonous voice as he hefts his massive sword on his back

Elfin
2010-02-11, 01:23 PM
As you near the shop, you see that it's empty; it consists of only a single room, crammed with magical merchandise - heaps of scrolls, vials filled with strange substances, and heaps of rods, crystals, and a wide array of valuable spell components.
The only light is a low-burning candle of yellow wax, and a rickety staircase in a dark corner leads upward.

There is no sign of Kuthar - but as you step within, a ripple of magic force spreads outward, thrumming with potent force.

Vandelion:
You realize that Kuthar is well prepared: your Ring of Spellbattle reveals to you that a large number of Contingent spells have been set off (probably tuned to an Evil creature entering the shop).

The spells you sense are thus:
Mind Blank
Protection from Spells
Repulsion, with a zone starting about five feet from where you are right now
Globe of Invulnerability
Spell Turning
Iron Body
True Seeing
Stoneskin
Shield

Vandelion also suspects that Kuthar must have learned the potent art of crafting Contingent spells, allowing him to have multiple Contingencies active.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 01:59 PM
Vandelion

As Vandelion and his companions enter the shop, he feels the surge of magic. Quickly he calls out in his mind EVERYONE. Come close now, don't get in sight or approach the domicile yet, but get here as soon as possible. This may turn violent..

After doing so, Vandelion stops dead in his tracks and places a hand on a rod tied to his belt before stating in a calm and even voice. "Hello? Kuthar? I am sorry to disturb you. My name is Vandelion Askara, The Knowledge Seeker. You may have heard of me. I apologize if my bodyguards or I have accidently tripped your wards, but I wanted to speak to you."

Vandelion is readying a Time Stop Extended via his rod if he or his companions get attacked.

I don't know if we are in combat right now or not, but in case we are here are the relevant things I have going. They are doublecast on my familiar, and extended using either extend spell or one of my rods from yesterday. This is assuming that yesterday was a down time day, if it was not they are not doublecast on my familiar and half of them are from this morning.

Greater Magic Weapon (Enhanced)
Heart of Water
Heart of Air
Elemental Body (Air)
Greater Mage Armor
Heart of Earth
Superior Resistence
Disobedience
Anticipate Teleportation

This morning I cast:
Heroes Feast (from Horn of Plenty) (Which reminds me, everyone else should have as well.)

And I have two contingencies going, one on me and one on my familiar. Both are contingent resilient spheres set to go off if we go under 40 HP.

Elfin
2010-02-11, 02:30 PM
A clear, deep voice echoes from the direction of the stairs:
"I have long awaited your coming. Put down your thin guise, servant of Quintus, and face me!

Karan atharame!"

With these last words, a burst of multicolored light flashes about the stairway, leaving in its wake a barrier of shimmering, prismatic light.

Vandelion:
Prismatic Wall.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 02:45 PM
"Would you calm down man? You don't need to come out if you don't want to, but I just wish to talk. I have heard you had an argument with Archmage Quintus, but I have never met the man and by no means do I work for him." Vandelion calls out, his hand still on his rod.

I'll keep my readied action to time stop should he attack either of us, but I forgot something about the ring of spell-battle. It allows me to counterspell one spell per day within 60ft, but since I'm pretending to be harmless the Prismatic Wall stands.

Elfin
2010-02-11, 02:59 PM
Got it.

"I will stand no parley with you. You are, whether a servant of Quintus or not, a worker of Evil. Therefore tell me why you have come, or I will spare you no mercy in this life or any other."

As he finishes these words, you hear another muted blast of magical energy.

Vandelion:
Kuthar readies an Empowered Disintegrate.

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-11, 03:35 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar looks at Rolf and gives a single nod, his axe already in hand. "You know, I really hate spellslingers, sometimes. We just came here to ask you some questions, wizard but threaten me again and I'll make sure you're nothing but a smear on your floor." Ragnar growls, gripping his axe and stepping out ahead of his allies, Rolf at his side as he worked his own counter-magics, weaved almost imperceptibly into a soothing song.

Rolf and Ragnar are moving up just enough to get the rest of the party out of the range of the Anti-Magic Field Rolf is casting using Lyric Spell to disguise it. If the old bastard gets uppity, they're going up the stairs to take him apart.

[roll0]

Aecus
2010-02-11, 04:00 PM
Vandelion

"Look, my bodyguard may have violent tendencies but neither he nor I serve any grand forces of evil. He has proven himself a loyal companion willing to guard my life and help me while I journey around the world. His actions have saved many a life. Please, let us talk, that is all we came here for. I had wished to learn about the Jade Phoenix Mages, of which you are rumored to be one." Vandelion calls out.

"I am writing a treatise on the lesser known disciplines, and my research has placed the discipline associated with the Jade Phoenix Mages as being perhaps the very first discipline ever created. It would be the capstone of my research to talk to a real Jade Phoenix Mage. If your vow is at all serious, then I believe you are a true Jade Phoenix Mage who has mastered your secret of rebirth. If you so desire, I shall send my bodyguard away, all I wish is to speak to you."

Vandelion calls back to Kuthar. As he does so, he moves his hand from one rod to another, and invokes upon its power.

Er, I don't think I should be able to know that last part, as I can't actually see him and he hasn't cast it yet. I'll know if he starts to cast it (and I could interrupt it if he did), but not now.

Either way, I'll be casting a nondetection with my lesser rod of silent spell. If time is allowed, afterwards I'll go back to my readied timestop action.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 04:02 PM
Blah, I forgot to roll bluff.

[roll0]

DragoonWraith
2010-02-11, 04:42 PM
Ulyaoth
<I shall be awaiting your signal.>
Ulyaoth has taken to the skies, his back tentacles seeming to move like wings. Faint magical tendrils mimic them, but fill in the gaps, as he flies from the forest high over the village.

He's aiming to stay high enough to avoid being easily seen from the ground; just so long as he's high enough to be mistaken for a lower-flying bird, he should be fine.

He's readying an action for Aecus's cue, at which point he'll move downward as swiftly as is safe to try to land in Kuthar's yard, and continuing through the door if he's got any move speed left at that point.

Elfin
2010-02-11, 05:30 PM
"The Jade Phoenix Mages?
Where have you heard that name?"

Kuthar's eyes narrow.

"No. If you know of my order, then your threat must be ended. Let us do battle."

Everyone:
Roll initiative.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 05:33 PM
Vandelion

"So be it. I must defend myself from your paranoid delusions." Vandelion states.

I'm sharing a nerveskitter with my familiar.

[roll0]
[roll1] Edit: Oops, add 5 to this roll, it should be 24.

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-11, 05:59 PM
Ragnar

Ragnar just laughs, giving a decidedly evil grin.

[roll0]

Elfin
2010-02-11, 08:22 PM
Initiative order:
Kalabri
Ragnar
Kuthar
Vandelion

Aecus
2010-02-11, 08:42 PM
Kalabri

Letting loose a low trill, the bat Kalabri takes off from Vandelion's shoulder to go slightly into the air towards the field of repulsion.

Kalabri is going to swoop into the repulsion field and then move 5 ft behind Vandelion.

[roll0]

Then, whatever happens with the save he is going to ready (through Imbue Familiar With Spell Ability) a Melf's Unicorn Arrow to target Kuthar should he appear.

The Spell is a SR/No spell conjuration spell so it should pass through the globe of invulnerability just fine, as long as it is cast from outside of it. If it does not, he instead casts haste through Imbue Familiar With Spell Ability.

Elfin
2010-02-11, 09:49 PM
Kalabri soars into the semidarkness, lit eerily by the Prismatic Wall's rainbow light; reaching the repulsive barrier the bat seems to contend with some invisible force, but with great effort pushes through.

The ebony creature then raises a talon, and a surge of energy flows through her veins; she now moves with supernatural speed.

Remember, the Prismatic Wall will stop all spells regardless of their type.

Aecus
2010-02-11, 09:51 PM
Yep, I know. I can't see through it either so if Kuthar did appear that means he would have come through the wall; though I have a few ways around it. Just to note though, Vandelion, and Ragnar (if he isn't in the antimagic field) should have the haste as well. Its the same as if I cast it.

Elfin
2010-02-11, 09:59 PM
Ok, got it.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-11, 11:56 PM
Yorek hated nothing so much as standing around disguised. He much preferred chewing orphans in warehouses to standing in the humid, dirty, smelly street, disguised as a horse. Few things were as humiliating.
Thus, the urskan was quite pleased to hear the telepathic cry for aid.
Noting the flashing prismatic light coming in from the window, he figured some sort of magical trickery was afoot.
Removing his hat, Yorek sheds the disguise; let the peons look upon his mighty armored form if they dared. With a command word, his magical Wings of Flying activated, his tattered cloak taking the form of a pair of black feathered wings.
He flies to the roof of the shop, looking for alternate entrances into the building: windows, chimneys, even weaker-looking sections of the roof through which to smash through.

Elfin
2010-02-12, 01:01 AM
As Yorek bursts into his true, mighty form, and takes to the air, most of the nearby onlookers are gripped by panic; screams echo through the low, drowsy haze of the golden afternoon as hundreds flee with all the speed they can muster.
Amongst the commotion, steel-clad soldiers rush through the masses towards the main square; they're joined by the more heroic looking civilians, a handful of which take to the air themselves, weapons drawn - out of the corner of your eye, you spot a pair of warriors borne upon winged boots, a mage with fire coiled around his hands, propelled by his own power, and a lance-bearing knight upon a gleaming white stallion which has feathered wings sprouting from its back.

However, as the roof of the shop is thatched, it's easy to smash through. Wooden beams collapse upon themselves, raining timber and straw below and allowing sunlight to stream into the dusty building.

This done, though, you find yourself met by a new force - an invisible wall of magical energy, which even your massive bulk does nothing to penetrate, preventing you from entering the fray yourself.

Yorek:
Make a Will save.

To all on the ground floor of the shop:
Make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking 2d6 damage from the collapsing roof.

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-12, 01:13 AM
Ragnar

Ragnar and Rolf curse and dive aside as the roof begins to collapse.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Elfin
2010-02-12, 01:16 AM
Ragnar easily dodges a falling beam, but Rolf is not so lucky - a shard of shattered wood catches his forearm, leaving a gash of dark red.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 06:08 AM
Great. Here comes the entire city Vandelion thinks to everyone as he tries to dodge out of the way of the falling roof.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Critical
2010-02-12, 06:31 AM
Coming, guys! - the Thri-Kreen told via the telepathic link and swiftly ran, jumping over the city's wall and heading off to where all the action happened.

Jump Check:[roll0]
Climb check to pull self up the wall, if needed:[roll1]

Critical
2010-02-12, 06:35 AM
And a tumble check to avoid fall damage, if any:[roll0]

NOTE TO SELF:Get a ring of feather fall.

DJDizzy
2010-02-12, 11:19 AM
"May death claim you!" Zaralen unhefts his mighty sword and chants a spell

Sorry for the late roll, you all seem to be posting when I am asleep or work

[roll0]

When my turn arrives I cast Divine Power on myself and draw my sword (Assuming I am out of the field)

Concentration (if needed)
[roll1]

Reflex
[roll2]

Elfin
2010-02-12, 12:08 PM
Kalabri is also caught in the wreckage, taking [roll0] damage.

T'kkyl leaps with unearthly grace straight over the wall, but comes crashing down the other side - take [roll1] damage.
Seeing the bizarre creature, the guards stationed in the Ward take up a call of warning; a ways away, you hear the deep ringing of a gong, and all about you guards run to retrieve their arms.

Zaralen brandishes his fell blade, and a rush of dark energy flows down from the heavens; it ripples about him, and when the shadowy light dissipates Zaralen glows with unholy radiance.

It's now Ragnar's initiative.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-12, 12:51 PM
Ulyaoth
Getting the telepathic message and seeing Yorek smash through the wall, Ulyaoth dives out of the sky as quickly as he can.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-12, 01:48 PM
Yorek
"GRAAAAAH!!"

Will save: [roll0]

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-12, 03:16 PM
Ragnar

Roaring defiance, Ragnar, unable to do aught about the barrier between himself and the wizard, runs outside and activates his cloak to take to the sky.

Elfin
2010-02-12, 06:18 PM
Yorek tries with all his might to break through the repulsive barrier - but to no avail.

Ragnar, circling the clear skies, finds himself pursued by the quartet of airborne heroes: an arrow whistles from one of the warriors with winged boots, and you see that he's drawn a great longbow wreathed in golden energy.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]
plus
[roll2]

Kuthar calls down to Vandelion:

"Foul mage, turn away from here. You know not what you are dealing with.

I warn you once more: you will come only to darkness on the road you walk. The secrets before you are too dark, too terrible for mortals; they will shatter you, and leave you an empty shell of broken mind and body.

Therefore surrender, and walk away from here, and be glad you pursued not that which will bring only shadows."

Vandelion's initiative.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 06:23 PM
"You think me a fool? First you say you must kill me, now you try to warn me away? I think you are scared. And besides..." Vandelion says as he steps forward.

I'm stepping forward to see if I pass the repulsion save, if I do then I'll take the rest of my turn.

[roll0]

Elfin
2010-02-12, 06:33 PM
The air seems thicker as you step through, almost as if time has slowed down; the world seems to blur, but with a great push you are able to pass.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 06:34 PM
Vandelion's sentence gets cut off in the middle as he says a quick word, manipulating the very fabric of time as he stops the spinning of the world.

Extended Time Stop!

[roll0]

Elfin
2010-02-12, 06:35 PM
OoC:
Yikes.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 06:40 PM
Along with his companion Kalabri Vandelion moves upwards into the air and towards where he last heard Kuthar.

Very much so. I'm sorry but this is going to take a bit of rapidfire posting to move forward. Just for making this faster, I'm going to take Kalabri's and Vandelion's turns as happening at the same time, since they have to move together.

Turn 1:
Move Action: Vandelion and Kalabri fly 60 ft to try and find Kuthar, and assess the situation from a bit higher up in the air.

Elfin
2010-02-12, 06:41 PM
You'll have to save against the Prismatic Wall.

That's, in order, three Reflex saves, two Fortitudes, and two Wills.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 07:27 PM
Erm.

A prismatic wall can't reach nearly high enough to block flight.

If it does that changes everything though.

Elfin
2010-02-12, 07:44 PM
Remember: the wall's in an enclosed space, a 10 x 10 staircase. It blocks the entire area, unless a ceiling or wall is smashed open - Yorek crashed down on the first level.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 08:03 PM
In the space of a microsecond, the wizard Vandelion unleashes his magic, teleporting past barriers, and creating effects that few opponents could ever pass.

Actions

Ah I thought the roof had collapsed. So then, I activate dimensional jumper then.

Sorry this took a while, I had to think very deeply about what I wanted to do.

Short version: All of Kuthar's spells are dispelled if they are not CL 21 or higher. He is (probably) tripped, dimension locked, grappled, and has been bull rushed. Vandelion is in the form of a Pit Fiend, and will either be grappling or changing out of it soon in order to do some more things...

Long Version:

Move Actions: Dimension Jump through Dimensional Jumper to get into position for all of this.

Standard Actions/Full Round Actions:

Greater Arcane Sight - Please tell me if this spots anything that I would need to know. Wards around the shop, spells on Kuthar that I don't know about, etcetera. If this does, it will VASTLY change my options.

Dimesional Lock, centered in the 15ft Greater Dispelling Screen Sphere.

Spell Enhanced Extended Shapechange on Self: CL 21

Greater Dispelling Screen (15ft sphere, starting as layered over Kuthar so it automatically dispels once the timestop ends, and so part of him is sticking out on the other side for Kalabri to target). With Arcane mastery, Spellcaster's Bane, and Penetrating Insight.

Grease, DC: 24, 10ft by 10 ft, from just off the middle of the dispelling screen to under Kuthar (so it doesn't get hit by the screen.)

Howling Chain: Centered so it has reach in the entire 15 ft sphere.

Grasping Hand: Targeting Kuthar.

Readied Action: (Pit Fiend Form) Tail Slap (Nonlethal) Kuthar. This is taken from the edge of reach.

Swift Actions:
Spellcaster's Bane: +2 on Dispel Checks, auto identify caster level of spells cast. One immediate action counterspell.

Spell Enhancer: On Shapechange - Self

Swift Action: Dimensional Jumper

Kalabri:

Kalabri Casts a Solid fog behind himself, so the area looks like

Solid Fog - Kalabri - Kuthar -- Vandelion + Spell Effects

Kalabri readies a Melf's Unicorn Arrow targeting Kuthar for when he gets out of the timestop. Vandelion moves away from him as he does this, and Kalabri thus is thrust out of the time stop.

Rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
Subtract 2 for each arrow that misses.

[roll11]
[roll12]

If he is already tripped by the grease/the rip hits.
[roll13]
[roll14] DC 29 Save verse Shaken.

[roll15]
[roll16]

[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]

Elfin
2010-02-12, 08:33 PM
Vandelion:
You sense nothing unknown to you.

In a maelstrom of arcane power, Vandelion unveils his wrath:
Screaming winds whip chains of force through the air, blasts of force blanket the room, and at the end of it all, a demonic horror of flame and scales towers above Kuthar.

The Jade Phoenix Mage's blond hair is torn and streaked with blood; he wears clothes of silver-grey in even worse condition, and his torn skin is covered in tattoos of spiraling runes and soaring firebirds.

Kuthar is alive, but his magic, no match for Vandelion's, has left him, and he lies twisted upon the ground.

Aecus
2010-02-12, 08:36 PM
"...I'm not the one in danger fool." The Pit Fiend form of Vandelion growls.

I'm assuming we're still in intiative because of the adventurer's and guards, onto whoever's turn next right?

Elfin
2010-02-12, 08:43 PM
"You think you have won a great victory, elf...but you will never triumph. I vow upon the Swordmaster that I will hunt you down until all the world is broken, if I must, to bring your evil to an end."

One more round of Time Stop, and then Yorek's initiative.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-12, 08:53 PM
With a surge of effort and determination, Yorek manages to overcome the compulsion keeping him from closing the distance between himself and his quarry. As he lands, the floorboards screaming in protest, he finds the Jade Pheonix Mage all but utterly defeated, standing before a massive devil.
"That better be you Vandelion. Otherwise there's too many cooks in this kitchen. *cough* Hmph. What're we to do with the book-monkey?"

Yorek will gladly offer to grapple and pin Kuthar. With his grapple modifier of +32, I think Kuthar will be in safe hands.

Elfin
2010-02-12, 09:02 PM
The mighty urskan leaps down upon Kuthar and attempts to restrain him, but an arcane force encases the injured mage and somehow he's able to slip out of Yorek's grip.

Kalabri's initiative (followed by Ragnar, Kuthar, Zaralen, Vandelion, and then Yorek again).

Aecus
2010-02-12, 09:11 PM
He is wearing a magical item to prevent him from being grabbed. Attack him, but nonlethally if you can. It is probably one of his rings that are protecting him, if you can work with that. Vandelion thinks, broadcasting to everyone.

At the same time as he thinks this, Kalabri, Vandelion's faithful companion flies over to hover above Kuthar.

Readied action to cast a chain missile to interrupt any spellcasting or spell like abilities done by Kuthar.

Due to my ring of Enduring Arcana my spells are CL 22 for Dispel Purposes, so Imbue Familiar doesn't go away.

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-13, 12:17 AM
Ragnar

Ragnar turns to fix the bow-wielding hero with a savage grin. Propelling himself upward, he dives upon the archer with a howl of bone-chilling bloodlust.

"Blood for blood, little man! Tell the demons that Ragnar's sent another one when you get to hell!"

Full attack action because of pounce. Taking full advantage of Shock Trooper + Leap Attack. + Power Attack, subtracting 17 from my armor class...

Attack rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Damage Rolls: (yes, really)
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Elfin
2010-02-13, 12:32 AM
With a mighty leap, Ragnar soars into the heavens, and like a howling storm of steel plunges down and engulfs the bow-wielding warrior.

He stands no chance; within seconds, Ragnar's foe is reduced to bloody pieces, diving down to the earth below.

The marketplace is filled with screams, and horrified, the few remaining citizens run for their lives.
However, the city guard is assembling - perhaps a dozen soldiers bearing the crest of Ironhame now stand below, nocking arrows, and more are joining them.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-13, 12:36 AM
Ulyaoth
<If you could kill the mage's magic that prevents me from getting a solid hold on him, I shall have our answers shortly.>

Elfin
2010-02-13, 12:56 AM
Kuthar's eyes glint with steely determination, and with a quick swipe he aims his forefinger at Vandelion; a blast of icy energy shoots outward.
However, just as he does so, Kalabri swipes a claw with just as much speed, and a mighty gust of force smashes into the mage.

Kuthar's and anonymous heroes' turns put on hold until Aecus rolls damage.

Vandelion:
He's casting a Quickened Hold Person.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-13, 01:10 AM
Yorek grows tired of the mage's shenanigans. Focusing his mind, time seems to slow for a second, revealing the perfect place to strike. He puts all his strength behind the back-handed blow, blunting the strike enough to not outright kill the man...

On Yorek's turn, he'll use Emerald Razor, taking a -4 penalty on his attack to make it deal nonlethal damage, and another -13 for Power Attack.
Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage (nonlethal): [roll1]

Elfin
2010-02-13, 01:27 AM
The impact of the great blow knocks Kuthar back onto the floor, and a trickle of blood flows from new wounds.

DJDizzy
2010-02-13, 12:51 PM
"You better tell us what we want to know, or else I will make you feel pain that you didn't even know could exist" Zaralen says, eyeing the guards around him through his helmet

DragoonWraith
2010-02-13, 01:00 PM
Ulyaoth
<His telling us is rather meaningless, at this point. I'll tell us.>

(Is he knocked out? Or just down? Also, I'm assuming that I entered through Yorek's hole.)

Elfin
2010-02-13, 01:37 PM
Seeing his last spell fail, Kuthar's face becomes grim, and he turns finger in on himself...just as the gust of howling force reaches him. However, Kuthar takes little notice of the brutal magic, and shoots a thin, cruel beam of green light toward his chest - interrupted by blows from his nearby enemies.

Vandelion, Yorek - you can take AoOs.

Vandelion:
He's casting a Disintegrate.

Aecus
2010-02-13, 02:35 PM
The pit fiend lashes out with a quick claw, even as the ring on its hand glows faintly as it activates.

Using the ring of spell battle as an immediate action to counterspell the disintegrate and a nonlethal claw attack.

[roll0] (Haste + Flanking + Nonlethal + Prone all added in, take away if relevant is not true.)
[roll1]

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-13, 02:55 PM
"Hey! Cut that out already!"
Yorek attempts another back-handed swat...

Non-lethal, full-power attack AoO. This might be higher due to flanking, attacking a prone target, etc., but I'll let our DM add the relevant bonuses.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Re-rolling that attack, see OOC thread.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-13, 02:56 PM
Ulyaoth
<Your mention of the 'Jade Phoenix Mages', which I've heard these seekers of their 'fabled tenth discipline' called before, reminds me that there is supposedly a way to channel the Phoenix into a martial maneuver, in such a way that the user explodes in a great fireball, only to return, unscathed, a week later. It seems likely to me that the so-called 'Jade Phoenix Mages', who seek to use the Arcane in their martial pursuits, may very well be the masters of this power. Should Kuthar manage to do so, we may lose a very significant lead. If at all possible, I recommend preventing that from happening.>

Elfin
2010-02-13, 03:02 PM
The pit fiend slashes at Kuthar, and the Ring of Spellbattle strangles the magic from the mage's hand. Yorek's blow slices Kuthar, now covered in wounds and bleeding freely.

Ulyaoth's turn.

Critical
2010-02-13, 07:10 PM
Hearing the alarm, the Thri-Kreen hurries to the place where the battle happened. Knock that guy out and lets get out of here, quick!

OoC:
Er, I should see all the battle easily and already be there, no?

Elfin
2010-02-13, 08:47 PM
OoC:
Edit: I forgot the turns of the airborne heroes. And T'ykkyl, you can definitely have reached the main square.

The mage, aghast, points an energy-wreathed digit at Ragnar, and a bolt of blue light springs toward him.

(Ragnar, make a Will save).

Simultaneously, the pegasi-mounted warrior comes galloping forward, and mightily brings his lance down upon the berserker. However, the remaining warrior flees at the sight of such carnage.

(If your AC is 37 or lower, take 72 points of damage)

The guards assembled below take aim, launching a small volley of arrows at Ragnar.

(Ten shots, one gets a natural 20; take 3 points of damage).

Critical
2010-02-14, 05:55 AM
OoC:
Alright, I'd like to throw some knives at the archers, possible? If so, how many of them are there?

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-14, 06:30 AM
Ragnar

As Ragnar is assaulted from all sides, he begins to froth at the mouth, his eyes almost literally glowing red with the white-hot fury of the sun as his primal berserker soul screams for blood and glory.

(Ragnar, having Instantaneous Rage, immediately goes into his Frenzied state. How far away is that mage?)

[roll0]

Edit: Natural 20 - Autosuccess.

Elfin
2010-02-14, 12:55 PM
T'kkyl- there are nine archers, and about two dozen more are rushing in; you can probably get close enough to hit them.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-14, 10:23 PM
Ulyaoth
Ulyaoth swoops forward, and, mentally activating the magic of his belt to speed up his actions, tears into Kuthar with fist and tentacle - but takes care to avoid killing the mage. Ulyaoth first trips the man with a tentacle before pummeling him.

Move Action: Move up to Kuthar.
Swift Action: Activate Belt of Battle, 1 charge (gain Move Action)
Full-Round Action: Attack, -4 penalty for doing non-lethal damage.
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]
[roll8], [roll9]
[roll10], [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13]
[roll14], [roll15]
[roll16], [roll17]
Crit Conf - (1d20+22)[31], Damage - (1d4+12)[16] (actual rolls in OOC)
[roll18], [roll19]
[roll20], [roll21]
[roll22], [roll23]
[roll24], [roll25]
[roll26], [roll27]
[roll28], [roll29]
[roll30], [roll31]
[roll32], [roll33]

If all hit, and I think they do based on Yorek's 26 hitting, that's 241 non-lethal damage.

Elfin
2010-02-14, 10:31 PM
In a hurricane of repulsive flesh, Ulyaoth rains blow after blow upon Kuthar.

This too much for the mage, and his grievous injuries finally overcome him; with a muted thud, he collapses, unconscious, upon the floor.

Edit - Ragnar's turn.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-14, 10:50 PM
Ulyaoth
As the mage's will blanks out, Ulyaoth can feel the magics keeping him from grabbing the mage wink out, and so Ulyaoth wraps his tentacles around the mage, pulling him closer. The tentacles on his back holding the body, the tentacles of his face pushing into the man's skull - enzymes eating through flesh and bone but leaving the gray matter unscathed. The tentacles lift the organ, and pull it inexorably into Ulyaoth's face.

Ulyaoth savors the brain. The man's memories were numerous, and his knowledge exceptional. The flavors and the experiences were intense. The secrets of the Jade Phoenix Mages were succulent.

And the secret of the Tarrasque's lair were truly a delicacy.

<Well, we got what we came for. How is our escape looking?>

WhiteKnight777
2010-02-14, 11:15 PM
Ragnar

Ignoring the puny blows offered by the knight, Ragnar charges towards the mage, shrugging off his spell with a laugh as he bears down on the spellslinger

(120 ft. Puts me in range for a charge next turn.)

Elfin
2010-02-15, 01:00 AM
As Kuthar falls back, flesh and gore laid bare, a flickering, green flame rises from his body, and hovers in midair; suddenly, whispers born upon a mystic wind echo through the room - however, to all but Ulyaoth they are nothing but meaningless hisses.

Ulyaoth:
"We shall have vengeance, Ulyaoth the Corrupter..."

"Even now, we are aware of your presence..."

"The powers of the gods themselves protect us..."

"You shall never be safe, no matter where you are hidden..."

"The Flame Eternal cannot be quenched..."

"You shall fall, and he whom you have destroyed shall be returned..."

"Darkness grows heavy upon your doom...the ship of flame shall beckon the ending of your days..."

Swiftly, though, the same wind bears away the emerald fire, and it is carried into the heavens.

Ulyaoth again:
The memories of three thousand years flood your mind, but plumbing them you uncover an expedition to find the Tarrasque's lair.

For months, you walked amongst the Sunspires, searching every cave...the emerald tattoos, you notice, are not yet upon your skin. But at last, your limbs shivering with sweat even in the sparkling snow, you came upon a path, gorged with...claw marks...and there stood the first pillar, carved of jagged rock.
You knew it now...the Tarrasque was near. Swiftly, you drew the first of the runes from your back, and fitted it into the pillar; a wave of purple fire engulfed the pass, but left you unscathed and ready to proceed.
Following the road, you reached the base of a great mountain - a cave entrance lies at its base...flanking the dark abyss of the cave are two jagged pillars of stone, carved with many runes.

You are here, at last. The remaining two runes you ease into the pillar, and two more sheets of flame spread over you.

It would be folly to go any farther; your mission had been a success. You make note of the location, and pry, one by one, the runes out: you would have to return them to the Keeper, but at least you now knew where the Kor dwelt.

Critical
2010-02-15, 08:05 AM
Any progress there? - the Thri-Kreen said telepathically. He then prepared to use the White Raven Maneuver, which for some reason, empowered people. - Hey Ragnar, is that the best you can do?!
Initiative:[roll0]
White Raven Tactics on Ragnar!
Drop all the Warning Saps+1
Draw 4 Daggers.

NOTE TO SELF AGAIN:Get Shurikens.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-15, 01:50 PM
Ulyaoth
<I've determined where the Tarrasques' lair is. However, we will need three Runes to open the way, and Kuthar returned these to their Keeper. I will have to go through the memories again in order to determine who the Keeper is and where he can be found.

More importantly, it would seem that the 'Jade Phoenix Mages' are aware that Kuthar has been slain, and are aware that I have taken his memories. They claim he will be reborn, and of course, that we will all be struck down. It seems that the time for discretion may be at an end.

They made no mention of our goal, however, so they may not be aware of how close we are to the point where they will simply cease to matter.>

Elfin
2010-02-15, 02:28 PM
Ragnar - as you probably are aware, the White Raven tactics maneuver allows you to move again.

Ulyaoth - do you wish to dig for more memories now, or wait until you've dealt with the situation here?

Ragnar's, and then Zaralen's turn.

Everyone:
Kuthar hasbeen defeated - 1275 xp for everyone.

Aecus
2010-02-20, 04:43 PM
We need to chase the guard away. Kuthar must have had many magical items that we could use, and a lot more information that would be exceedingly valuable. I'll try to scare away most of the peasants, and then we'll see how much we can gather before I teleport us out. Vandelion broadcasts to his allies.

As he does so, Vandelion's faithful companion Kalabri flies down to Vandelion's side, and reaches out a claw to touch a gemstone embedded in Vandelion's sash. Letting out a small screech, the bat seems to lose consciousness as it begins to fall, before abruptly disappearing from sight as if from some dimensional teleportation.

Not a moment after, the great scaled beast that is Vandelion flies forth into the air, beating its scaled wings, yet seeming to fly as if such an effort was unnecessary.

Vandelion is delaying his turn till right after Kalabri - If I recall correctly that is the turn order.

Kalabri is taking a move action to move up to Vandelion and touch a magical gem, and then he is taking a standard action to cast Magic Jar, the last of his familiar spells.

Vandelion will take a free action to transport Kalabri into his familiar pocket.

Then on Vandelion's turn:

Vandelion will move out of the building with 90ft perfect maneuverability fly speed.

Once he is out of range of his comrade's he will activate his fear aura (DC 22, 20ft emanation).

If he can reach the mage with a single move action, he will move up to the mage, buzzing the most amount of hostile's he can with his fear aura at the same time. If the mage succumbs to his fear aura he will take another move action to buzz the rest of the hostile's he can reach, catching as many of them as he can in his fear aura.

If the mage does not succumb to his fear aura, he will ready an action to attack and interrupt any spell cast by the mage.

If he cannot reach the mage in a single move action, he will take two move actions to reach the mage (180 ft), also buzzing as many hostile's as he can in this manner.

Vandelion still has a single spell interrupt left from Spellcaster's Bane.

His current AC is 57.

Elfin
2010-02-20, 08:55 PM
You'll have to take a double move action

Vandelion's demonic form seems to cloud the skies in an aura of darkness; as he takes to the air the entirety of the guard flee beneath the fearsome beating of his wings. Looking upon the terrible creature, the flying mage cowers and flees; the mounted knight trembles upon his steed and then gallops away.

Ulyaoth's turn.

Aecus
2010-02-21, 06:27 PM
Returning to Kuthar's home, the pit fiend form of Vandelion changes shape into a multi-eyed monstrosity, even as parts of the ruin start to levitate into the air and then gather around the feet of Vandelion's allies.

Let us use this time wisely, we need to find as much of his notes and else as we can. Vandelion broadcasts to his allies.

Vandelion is going to change shape into a beholder, and use the telekinesis eye ray to start mass moving rubble and bringing towards him any magic items/auras he can spot through greater arcane sight, as well gathering any books/papers he sees.

If he can, Kalabri will posses someone close enough and help with the search.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Elfin
2010-02-21, 06:49 PM
Being a magic shop, the place is full to bursting with magic; upstairs, where you are now, are a pair of shelves stacked with scrolls and potions, and downstairs are more of the same- along with all sorts of exotic items.

The haul:
Weapons:
+1 dagger
+2 Aberration-bane longsword
+1 Shortsword x2
+1 Flaming mace

Scrolls:
All 2nd-level stat-boosters (Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, etc) x2
Mage Armor x3
Shield x2
Clauradience/Clairvoyance
Fireball x3
Cone of Cold
Lightning Bolt x2
Fly
Phantom Steed
Hold Person x2
Darkness
Daylight x4
Wall of Blades
All Resist Energy spells x3
Polar Ray
Irresistible Dance
Bigby's Grasping Hand
Web x2

Potions:
1 of every potion on the table in the DMG/SRD.

Wands:
Cure Light Wounds x4
Cure Moderate Wounds x3
Cure Serious Wounds (Eternal) x2
Shield (Eternal) x2
Fireball
Scorching Ray x2
Web
Glitterdust
Heroism

Rings:
Force Shield x2
Jumping
Featherfall x3
Animal Empathy

Wondrous Items:
Quaal's Feather Token
Cloak of Resistance +1 x3
Bracers of Archery
Monk's Belt
Boots of Elvenkind
Healing Belt
Boots of Flying
Cloak of Elvenkind
2 Martial Scripts of Mithral Tornado
1 of Claw at the Moon
And 1 of Salamander Charge

In addition, everyone can take 1000 more xp for defeating the airborne heroes.

However, beyond dusty records of purchased items and a collection of history books and legend compilations, there are no writings of any interest.

Elfin
2010-02-22, 01:37 PM
Ulyaoth:
You plumb through Kuthar's memories; they're unlike any you've devoured before, as the spirals of thought are laced with memories from much older incarnations.

However, it doesn't take long to become accustomed to Kuthar's mind.

It seems that there's nothing more that Kuthar kept in his shop or in Ironhame; he seemed to rely on the resources of the Jade Phoenix Mages, who you now find are centered in an ancient temple north of the Deluge Jungle.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-22, 06:51 PM
Ulyaoth
<If there is anything else of value in this town, Kuthar didn't know about it. He kept most of his valuable possessions with the Jade Phoenix Mages - who, by the way, I can lead us to, if we're interested. A bit of detour, but they're likely to have quite a bit of a magical arsenal that we might be interested in. Plus, it seems as if they're looking to avenge Kuthar; might be best to just rid ourselves of them first.>

Aecus
2010-02-23, 04:40 PM
Vandelion

Then we should leave, we don't want to be in any more fights than we have to. I have a teleport left to get us out of here. Does anyone have any preferences on where we want to go? If not, I shall decide. Vandelion broadcasts even as he transforms back into an Elf next to his allies, having gathered everything of importance here.

Elfin
2010-03-11, 04:00 PM
As Vandelion raises his hand, tendrils of magical energy once again swirl about you, thrusting you into the void. After a brief moment, the darkness fades, and you find yourself upon the cobblestones of the Free City.

Buildings tower about you, of stone and wood and hung with colorful banners; the streets, with gutters along the sides, are stuffed with people. More stalls and merchants than it seems possible are also crammed together in the shadows of the winding streets, and the bright sun has burned away any clouds from the pastel sky.

Aecus
2010-03-12, 03:15 PM
We should look for a place to recover quickly. If I can get two or three hours of rest I will be able to ward us against divinations. Then we can decide on a course of action. I don't like the idea of leaving an entire fellowhood of powerful semi immortal mages out for our blood. Though how much of a threat they are and whether or not we should simply leave them, or try to complete the ritual and make such concerns irrelevant is dependent on what Kuthar's memories say about them and their capabilities. In any case, do you have any preference for what we do now? If not I'll simply search for a place that would be amicable to us, and might be warded against divinations so we can rest.

Vandelion communicates to Ulyaoth. He is now back into his normal form, having decided that teleporting anywhere, especially into a city, as a Pit Fiend would probably not be a smart idea for laying low.

Lore/Knowledge Local check to see if Vandelion knows of any place in the Free City that is warded against divinations, and accepts clientele. If not, these rolls go to learning what establishments do exist in the Free City that would be a good place to hide for a day, or obscure against people looking for them (if mundanely).

[roll0]
[roll1]

DragoonWraith
2010-03-12, 03:41 PM
Ulyaoth
"Agreed. Do we have accomodations here? I have not visited this city. Kuthar has ages of memories, it will take time to scour them completely."

Elfin
2010-03-12, 08:17 PM
Vandelion:
You know that the entire Free City is warded against monstrous creatures, thanks to the Archmage Quintus; however, only the more prosperous guilds and government buildings are warded against divination and teleportation.
You might be able to find shelter at the Guild of Assassins (though they are extremely suspicious and crafty), or at the manor which house the Order of the Seven Claws, an infamous guild which often has a hand in political machinations and corruption - it's well known that they wish to gain control of Naramis, and make it a haven for the more monstrous denizens of the world.
Barring those, the western quarter of the City is stricken by poverty and filled with empty, crumbling buildings from throughout the centuries;while not very comfortable, it, for the most part, escapes the notice of those higher up.

Aecus
2010-03-12, 10:30 PM
The lease on my last house here ran out fifty years ago, so not at the moment. We do have options though. I think it would be prudent to seek wards against divination, and given our retinue our only real choices for that are the Guild of Assassins, or the Order of the Seven Claws. I have no doubt that either option would come with strings attached there, but it might be the safest and the strings would not be too long for a few hours of harbor, as we don't need more than that to be able to subsist on our own. The other option is to hide amongst the poor in the western quarter. It would hide us well from mundane efforts... but little else. Or we could simply rent a room in a nondescript inn and hope that nothing occurs before I can get the hour or two I need to set up our wards against divination. Your opinion? Vandelion communicates.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-12, 11:50 PM
Ulyaoth
<How much rest do you require? If something were to Teleport in while you were preparing, would you be able to respond? And how obvious would it be to those watching us that we were vulnerable? That affects this decision greatly, I think.>

Aecus
2010-03-13, 06:28 AM
Ulyaoth
<How much rest do you require? If something were to Teleport in while you were preparing, would you be able to respond? And how obvious would it be to those watching us that we were vulnerable? That affects this decision greatly, I think.>

I still have half of my spells prepared, and I would not remain asleep for long, so I would be able to respond. I only need an hour and a few minutes of rest: The hour to trance with an aid of a magic item, and a few minutes to prepare the small amount of spells I wish to change. Then when we are warded by my own hand I could take another few minutes somewhere else to finish my preparations.

It would not be obvious that we were vulnerable, as I can do this from an extradimensional space. In truth, I may be exaggerating the danger, as we could do this from the extradimensional space anywhere we want. But if I placed somewhere without people watching, or warded against divination, we could easily be surprised upon leaving the space by an ambush that was set up from an angle we couldn't see.

This may all just be paranoia, but again, I do not think these precautions are too much when dealing with other mages, and especially ones who have traditions and power reaching back to the literal start of the world. In either case, I'm leaving the decision up to you. You hold the memories, and thus have the best knowledge of the threat we face.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-14, 07:27 PM
Ulyaoth
<Indeed, I suppose it is best to leave it up to them. One moment.>

Ulyaoth does a quick scan of Kuthar's knowledge of the Jade Phoenix Mages' tactics, to try to gauge what they were likely to do in this situation.

Elfin
2010-03-14, 07:29 PM
Ulyaoth:
The Jade Phoenix Mages keep careful tabs on all their members; when one is slain, they are likely to drop everything and muster all the firepower they can manage to locate and wipe out the offender(s).

DragoonWraith
2010-03-14, 08:44 PM
Ulyaoth
Hmm, seems we can expect an attack as soon as they're able. Sigh. It would appear worthwhile to gain the benefit of anti-teleportation magic for the time being; I suspect they'll do exactly as you say and ambush as soon as we leave the extradimensional space, and I also assume they'll both see us do so and recognize it for what it is. We cannot teleport from the space, correct?

Aecus
2010-03-15, 04:08 AM
We can plane shift from the space and then plane shift back into the material plane. Once we are covered by my spell they will not be able to find us again. But if they will do as you say, we must quickly set up the extradimensional space. Let us just find some place to do this, quickly, regardless of where it is if that will be the case.

If agreed, Vandelion will try to find either a very nearby inn and get a room, or just find an alleyway and cast Rope Trick for his companions and then pull in the rope.

I reread the description of Rope Trick and its even better then I thought, it actually wards against anything but interplanar divinations, so that is a big help.

From inside the Rope Trick, Vandelion will use his Heward's Fortifying Bedroll in order to recover spells in an hour, and then use 15 minutes to replace his cast spells. He'll prepare mind blanks to completely cover everyone from divination, and then as said he'll do a dual plane shift in order to get back to the material plane.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-15, 12:19 PM
Ulyaoth
Then it is agreed. I will guard the entrance to the space while you prepare.

Aecus
2010-03-15, 12:21 PM
If you do, then prepare yourself to come into the space and draw up the rope if you are attacked. Though it might be safer for you to stay in the extradimensional space as well, if we close it there is very little that they can do to get at us, and all of such is very specific magic that even I do not have.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-15, 01:49 PM
Ulyaoth
I did intend to do the defending from within, yes. I presume they may have a way to gain entry.

Elfin
2010-03-15, 02:07 PM
You're able to rest and restore Vandelion's spells without trouble, and are left standing back in the narrow, winding alleyway in which you started.

What do you do?

Aecus
2010-03-15, 02:33 PM
"The one major downside of this. I can no longer enable us to talk mind to mind. I think we should take some time to search those memories for the tactics, strengths, and weaknesses of all the Jade Phoenix Mage's. I doubt they expected someone to be able to devour one of their own's memories. They may not even be aware of our capabilities, and if they didn't already discern them they are out of luck in that regard. I don't like acting under the threat of ambush. Again though, I think that should be left to the memories."

Vandelion conveys as he starts striding away from the alleyway, to some distant point in the city. As he moves from alleyway to alleyway, Vadelion changes his appearance and race, so as to throw off any attempts at gathering information on their route.

"I don't quite want to teleport us out of here yet in case we made need something from the Free City, though of course I can."

For now, Vandelion casts extended mind blank on however many of us there are (I'm assuming 2 for now, and I'll mark off a third if we get a member before then).

He's suggesting a full on memory search of the order's members, so they can plan some tactics and whether or not they need to strike first, or go about their quest.

Elfin
2010-03-15, 03:00 PM
OOC:
Providing Ulyaoth agrees, I'll start writing up a post detailing all the Mages - it'll be up soon.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-15, 10:07 PM
All agreed here.

Elfin
2010-03-23, 05:57 PM
OoC:
I'm sorry, though apologies don't really cut it. I haven't statted up all eleven mages, but instead only those most likely to follow and hunt you down: here they are.

Ulyaoth:

You delve once more through the vast vaults of Kuthar's memories, and at last are able to pick out details about all eleven of the other Jade Phoenix Mages:

Erlith Dar'Thanaan (Elf):
A powerful member of the order, Erlith is an elven warrior who also owes allegiance to the organization known as the Eternal Blades. He rides a Steelwing, a giant eagle bestowed with the power of metal, and dwells in the forests of Aevaren.

Amkar Bejral (Human):
The leader of the Wind Dervishes of Andrama in the deserts to the west, Amkar watches the Great Golden Desert in the name of the Jade Phoenix Mages. He is a master of the Desert Wind discipline, and battles with two scimitars wreathed in magic flame.

Irutaro (Human):
A warrior-mage from the lands to the east, Irutaro is a swordsage schooled in unarmed combat. He keeps to himself for the most part, but is quick to help the order when it is in need.

Vorastorix (Spellscale)
The warmage Vorastorix is a spellscale, a race of draconic humanoids enthralled with the arcane arts. He favors evocations, and dwells within the Dragonspine Mountains on the borders of Taeroes.

Stratos Windrider (Aasimar):
A champion of good and mighty sorcerer besides, Stratos is the child of a powerful Solar angel and a human woman. He favors abjurations and rides a celestial drakkensteed into battle.

K'eld (Gold dragon):
The dragon K'eld is the greatest of the Jade Phoenix Mages. His prowess is legendary, his exploits known across the Planes: it is rumored that he was once offered a place as one of Bahamut's escorts. The peerless spirit imbued within him is that of the first Jade Phoenix Mage, and all the other Mages regard him as their leader.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-23, 10:25 PM
Ulyaoth
Hmm... well, there's the usual ascetic hermits of legendary skill, who we might want to start picking off just because they may be easy isolated targets, there's a couple of rather powerful mages, a Sorcerer and Warmage... and then there's K'eld, a golden dragon of interdimensional reknown. Offing him might get Bahamut's attention, which would be decidedly inconvenient. Not sure of the best course of action in this case.

Can I dig up any more information on the Eternal Blades? How big an army does this guy have at his command?

Elfin
2010-03-23, 11:09 PM
Ulyaoth:
If you own the Tome of Battle, all the information on the Eternal Blades there applies. Kuthar isn't quite sure of their exact numbers, but it's in the low hundreds - perhaps 100-200.

If you don't own the Tome of Battle, I'll paraphrase - they're an(other) ancient order of elven martial adepts, dedicated to defending elven lands and empowered by "blade guides": the spirits of legendary warriors from ages past, who allow the elves they guide insights and power beyond what the subjects could normally achieve.
A few hundred years ago, though, a schism arose in the ranks of the Blades.

A faction of the Blades, led by a warblade named Gorguth, believed the elven race superior to all others. (This may have stemmed in part from the fact that, at the time, the human and hobgoblin civilizations were in a state of utter chaos and disarray.) They used their powers to torment these "lesser creatures" rather than defend the elves. These dark Blades even turned on the remaining faction after being reprimanded by their (the good faction's) leaders, professing them weak, foolish, and manipulated by the inferior races.

At last it came to an all-out war between the two sides, which ended with the triumph of the good Blades. However, the number of Blades had diminished enormously, and since then, their numbers have dwindled even further. In the present day, the Eternal Blades are all but unheard of, their shrines and temples falling into ruin - though it is said that, one day, a hero will arise and lead the Blades back to glory.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-24, 05:51 PM
Well, I certainly do have Tome of Battle, but thanks for the summary, saves me digging it up. Now here's hoping that Aecus is still following the thread...

Aecus
2010-03-25, 07:01 AM
"This is interesting information. I admit, I am not quite sure how we should handle this. On one hand, we are mostly safe from their attempts to find us, on the other hand, it would not do well for us to accomplish our goal only to get ambushed at the worst possible moment.

There is a chance, however small, that if we evade capture for a long while the chase for us might die down. Though this will greatly hamper our movements and efforts in civilized society if they had managed to gain any information about us in the time we were unprotected.

However it is assured that if we start to go after the rest of them, then they will interpret this is a definite threat to their order itself. If they do so, we will not truly be able to rest till all of them are gone.

We could possibly capture the hermits alone, but they might have contingencies in place to draw some of their allies. Thus I am of the opinion, that if we are going to pursue the course of destroying them, we need more allies.

They need not necessarily be permanent, but even if we use them as fodder they still would be a valuable addition. I have a few tricks in mind that I would like to try in order to aid in this regard, as well as to ensure that we don't destroyed by a miscalculation. But what do you think? Should we seek mortal allies first, or should we attempt bargaining with the lower planes, or both?"

DragoonWraith
2010-03-25, 01:59 PM
Ulyaoth
"It seems likely, then, that they are not really worth it. They're a distraction and they don't really matter. Drawing more attention to ourselves is unnecessary.

"Reinforcements do seem to be in order. Dealing with Extraplanar beings seems risky; I'm leery of drawing the attention of greater powers before we have accomplished our goals."

Aecus
2010-03-25, 06:05 PM
"I agree with leaving them alone, tentatively, but I wish to perform some divinations to see how much they know of us how easily they will be able to find us.

On another note, what did Kuthar know about the Tarrasque? It wouldn't do to ignore the main reason for our little escapade."

Aecus
2010-03-26, 06:01 PM
"Then let us make some preparations now. I think we both agree that the first order of business is acquiring some information..."

Later, in an Interdimensional Space

"I shall be incapacitated for a few minutes. I'll ask the questions as we discussed, though I may break off contact if it looks like something is going wrong." Vandelion says as he settles down, with his back rested against a large cushion.

Vandelion then starts to chant, and weaving a complex array of magic that lasts for many minutes, before he falls slump in position, his mind having left his body.

Peld's Domain

"Peld, dear friend. I hate to impose on you like such again, but I'd just like to ask a few questions and then I'll be out of your way. I promise, it will be worth your while to answer." Vandelion's mental communion intrudes into a deity's dominion.

"I'd first like to ask if any of the esteemable order known as the Jade Phoenix Mage's are aware of attempts to gather information through divination or divine question on them?"

Sorry for the long delay. Research proposals :smallfurious:

This is all assuming that nothing goes horribly horribly wrong of course.

This is done in a Rope Trick with a Mind Blank up, and a Dimensional Lock cast inside the Rope Trick in order to prevent any kind of super-teleportation inside it. So nothing short of specifically created epic or godly magic should be able to pierce these protections... but such beings as the JPMs might have just that, couldn't they... :smallwink:

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to say... this is a Contact Other Plane spell.

If the first answer is no, then Vandelion will proceed, if not then he will ask the following question and strike the last question from the list.

"Can the Jade Phoenix Mages who are aware of attempts to garner information on them through magic or divine question in reciprocal garner information on the questioner through their own magic?"

If the answer is no, continue, if yes, ask one more question and strike the third from last from the list (the group/individual question)

"Do the Jade Phoenix Mages who are able to gather information on magical questioners through reciprocal magical across divination wards, gain more information from repeated attempts to gather information?"

If yes, break here, if no, continue on as the damage is already done.

Here is the unaltered list.

Do the Jade Phoenix Mages know about Vandelion's abilities?
Do the Jade Phoenix Mages know about Ulyaoth's abilities?
Do the Jade Phoenix Mages know what Kuthar did about the Tarrasque?
Do any of the Jade Phoenix Mages except Kuthar know about the wards over the Tarrasque's lair?
Are the Jade Phoenix Mages able to locate Vandelion through his wards?
Are the Jade Phoenix Mages able to locate Ulyuaoth through the protections around him?
Will the Jade Phoenix Mages attempt to attack Vandelion and Ulyaoth as individual units comprising of their respective resources and allies, or as a group?
What is the First Name of the (if the answer was group) most powerful of the Jade Phoenix Mages that is likely to encounter Vandelion and Ulyaoth first?
What is the First Name of the second (If the answer was group) most powerful of the Jade Phoenix Mages that is likely to encounter Vandelion and Ulyaoth first?

Elfin
2010-03-26, 06:47 PM
Vandelion:
Cosmic energy swirls before your eyes, and when it parts you are in a field beneath a sky pierced with stars - but instead of grass or earth the ground is made of woven strands of shadow. A silhouetted figure stands before you, a bat-like cloak billowing behind him and his eyes shining like the stars above him.

After each question, Peld speaks, his deep voice echoing through his shadowed realm.

"No."
"Yes."
"Yes."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"First."

For obvious reasons I'm not going to make the rolls in the thread.

Aecus
2010-03-26, 07:12 PM
His mental voice deadpan, Vandelion sends one last thought as he departs from Peld's plane. "Thank you."

Interdimensional Space

Waking up, Vandelion pushes himself off the cushions. His bat Kalabri starts to flap around him in agitation, mirroring it's master's thoughts. "Ulyaoth, I have some very bad news. We are not going to be able to ignore the Jade Phoenix Mages. They know who we are, what we can do, and they can find us even through my protections. I was afraid of this. We are going to need allies if we wish to survive this.

I sincerely doubt that on our best of days we could match K'eld in anything approaching a fair fight. And many of the others pose a tremendous threat through their resources and allies. Unless we find some support, our quest might just be cut short. And I would absolutely hate that. Zarus is the only being who can answer my question, and where would I be if I could not find that out?

Oh, and I think I would dislike the whole dying part too. Waking up in a tank of fluid is always such a disconcerting experience, and I've already spent far too much time in the jungles to make laying low a profitable experience. Though I guess I could try some more planar travelling in the worst case scenario..." Vandelion finishes, drifting slightly near the end as he recalls the few times where has failed, and died before. Such were not fun memories.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-26, 07:44 PM
Ulyaoth
"Mm. So be it. I think we would be best served by finding those who are powerful enough to truly be of use to us; to raise an army of the moderately powerful would be a waste of time and draw far more attention than we want. Thoughts on finding the right comrades?"

Aecus
2010-03-26, 08:06 PM
"I know a few Devils that we might try. We would have to watch the wording of our contracts, but I'm sure the offer would be tempting to them if coached right. Devastating the Jade Phoenix Mage's order could very easily further their agenda. They might even have orders in place to assist in their destruction if Asmodeus deems it important enough. Though we'd have to see. I have other ideas in mind as well, but the devils are probably going to be the easiest way to find amendable, and powerful allies. A deal with a devil is not an light thing to commit though, even if we aren't making an actual faustian pact, so I it is up to you whether we go through with it or not. It would be quite easy for me to enact the actual pre requisites."

DragoonWraith
2010-03-26, 10:32 PM
Ulyaoth
"Hmm. If we can keep the true nature of our plans from them, and avoid having to do overmuch on our side of the bargain before resurrecting Zarus, the contract may very well not matter. Regardless, I suspect the devils will not seek to overly get in the way of my revenge against the Elder Brains, so they are acceptable as allies. Careful, though; you know their ways better than I, but I have no desire to be anything's pawn."

Elfin
2010-03-27, 12:44 AM
Vandelion:
So: what do you do?

Aecus
2010-03-27, 05:49 AM
Nodding his head, Vandelion asks Ulyaoth to follow him outside the extradimensional space, and promptly creates a new one. "I wanted to be safe with guarding the other space, but I made it impossible to do a calling at the same time."

Muttering a few words, Vandelion invokes a magical spell of enhancement. Then, taking out a piece of chalk, Vandelion starts to draw arcane symbols on the ground. "Please do not disturb this, I trust devils to refrain from immediate slaughter far more than demons, but I don't like having an unbound one before me. I'm going to summon a slightly lesser devil first, as even the weakest Pit Fiend does not enjoy being interrupted. I've known this Erinyes for a few years, and I will be able to get her to commune with her master and strike a deal for us."

After a few minutes had passed, Vandelion stands up straight and invokes several great words of power, letting his magical energies discharge into the now glowing circle on the 'ground' of the extradimensional space.

Vandelion is using Planar Binding, and Magic Circle against Evil inverted with a dimensional anchor cast into it. He also used Moment of Prescience, in case he needs it for the charisma check.

Which, seeing as Drend might come out, he might not, but he doesn't know that.

Drend
2010-03-27, 09:27 AM
As Vandelion finishes the spell, a planar rift to the showing into the infinite wastelands of Avernus appears. Out steps a man in dark armor with the symbol of Asmodeus on his breastplate and shield. He removes his helm to reveal blood red eyes, dark skin, long white hair, and pointed ears. He glances at the squid-man and elf and grins, showing filed teeth as the gate closes behind him.

You really ought to be more precise on who you summon. Names specifically. Even though you called to the infernal realms, you said 'succubus,' a demon. Luckily though, my master has designs for you, and sent me to take the gate. Bel was not amused that I was to take his fun. I am Drasell, emissary of Asmodeus, Paladin of the Infernal Order. What do you require of Baator?

He then glances down, and scrapes his foot across the ground, in an attempt to wipe off the chalk, and destroy the circle.

Will save to overcome spell effects and destroy the binding [roll0]

Note: Succubus are demons, while Erinyes are devils. More than one wizard has been killed due to such a mistake.

Aecus
2010-03-27, 11:40 AM
Crossing his arms, Vandelion inclines his head slightly at the drastically altered summoning. As he does so, his bat companion Kalabri starts to flap in great agitation, belying the true feelings behind Vandelion's mask.

"I guess I should not be surprised that Asmodeus has taken an interest in us. I have to assume that Asmodeus knows of our quest, and the circumstances that we are in. I do not know how much he has informed you Drasell. So I shall put it bluntly.

We are currently drawing closer to bringing an ancient being back into this world, one that sent legions of souls into the Nine Hells. However we are being chased by a group of mages of some considerable power. These mages are also the guards on a prison of another ancient being, of which I assume that your master also has interest in.

The thing that many people forget, is that when one goes on the attack, that also leaves one vulnerable to a counteroffensive. So these mages are putting themselves into harms way simply by chasing after us, where if they had remained in their sanctums they would probably be nigh unreachable.

So that brings us here. Your master has subverted my spell, in order to send his own servant. Let me ask you Drasell. Why do you think you have been sent here, having heard of these circumstances?"

Oh and lest I forget, my name is Vandelion. And I shall let my companion introduce himself if he so desires.

The will save isn't to break the circle, its to resist the planar binding in the first place. To break the circle you need to make an opposed charisma check.

It's not going to matter much as we will probably break the circle soon anyway, but...

[roll0]

Vandelion is being vague because he isn't sure of Drasell, obviously.

Ah, and sleep deprivation > me. I guess we'll just chalk this up to a case of nerves or something.

Drend
2010-03-27, 03:48 PM
My master has not deigned to tell me much. Nor am I fully sure of his intentions in this. I am but a servant. Hmmmm.... Mages always were more entertaining. They squeal more. All I know is that I am to aid you against the Jade Pheonix, a group always in poor standing with my Lord.

K, my cha check. [roll0]

Drend
2010-03-27, 03:50 PM
Strange... Roll didn't work. Must've messed up the coding. [roll0]

DragoonWraith
2010-03-27, 09:01 PM
Ulyaoth
Ulyaoth watches the exchange silently, his blank eyes revealing nothing.

Internally... rage at Vandelion's mistake, no small amount of fear of Asmodeus's intentions, anticipation of the opportunity to strike back at the Jade Phoenix Mages, grim satisfaction in their progress towards returning Zarus.

Aecus
2010-03-27, 11:50 PM
"It seems that even my 'miscast' spell as you so put it, still holds quite finely." Vandelion says, the palor on his face receding slightly as he smirks at Drasell's attempt to break the circle.

Letting the smirk drop, Vandelion speaks solemnly "Regardless. Despite what you say I will not allow you out of the circle unless we reach a contract, enforced by the terms of the spell. So that we do not need to mince words I shall state it simply.

You shall lend us your services in the fight against the Jade Phoenix Mages. You will act as our ally in all respects, and will not betray us in any manner, including and not limited to physical and mental violence, giving information to our enemies, allowing us to come to harm through inaction, or other such methods of betrayal.

In return, we will support you and aid you as an ally in return, under the same conditions. You will gain an equal share of whatever we garnish from our endeavours. We will enable you to fulfill your master's commands, and thus your own duty through your support of us.

Perhaps most importantly, we will share with you information on our agenda and whatever we discover while we work together. Thus should our encounters with the Jade Phoenix Mages and their allies reveal even more hidden secrets that would benefit one such as yourself or your master, you would easily be able to acquire them.

What do you say to these terms?"

Drend
2010-03-28, 12:46 AM
Maybe you aren't as weak and foolish as I first thought, but as I already stated, my master sent me to aid you in whatever means available. At least for the time being, my blade is yours. By the Lord Asmodeus, I swear to aid you in all ways within my personal power throughout your mission, and while my master wills it, to not betray you, whether through direct assault or intentional neglect, and to form an alliance with you and any other companions you may gain, to see your current objectives through. That being said, I will repay betrayal with decisive action. Satisfied?

Drasell looks at Vandelion with mild contempt, and shifts his gaze to the mind flayer, giving a slight smirk. Well Squidsy, what say you?

He settles back, arms across his chest, awaiting a response.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-28, 09:08 AM
Ulyaoth
"Well if the... expert... is sure that we're not leaving any glaring loopholes, then I agree."

Aecus
2010-03-28, 06:54 PM
"There is a loophole in that oath, but I suspect that we will not get beyond it. He would hardly swear to go against his master's will, and I do not think I blame him. I would not interfere with Asmodeus as an unaligned party, let coming from a position as one of his servants. However for the current situation, his oath allows us to trust him. Once we are in a new position, we may have to look at our companionship in a new light, but as is with all enterprises. So be it. By this oath we are bound." Vandelion mutters the last words with a weighty incantation, invoking the power of the binding spell to tie both parties to the spoken oath.

With the speaking of the oath, both parties are intertwined in magical energy, as the binding circle burns in a fiery light, before fading into nothingness. "Welcome to our enterprise Drasell, let me explain the situation..."

Vandelion informs Drasell of the current events and what they know about the Jade Phoenix Mages.

To be honest I'm not sure how we should move from here to looking for our fourth companion, any thoughts?

Drend
2010-03-28, 09:16 PM
So, you and Squidsy here have managed to anger the entire Jade Order. The Dragon is the biggest threat, but they aren't foolish enough to attack individually. One option I see is to find some kind of comprehensive list of members, and take out the ones that pose a threat. Another is to ignore them completely. Do you have spells that would make us undetectable to their scrying attempts? If not, I would suggest finding a mage who can get us something to keep magical eyes off of our backs.

Elfin
2010-03-28, 11:08 PM
As Vandelion's Gate begins to seal itself and fade, the rift between worlds suddenly pulses with crackling crimson energy. A gust of dark wind seems to blow through the alleyway, and when it passes the Gate is gone...and in its place stands a man in flowing mage's robes.

A mighty voice echoes briefly through your minds, amused:
"Compliments of my lord Asmodeus."

Kaeyote:
Still ringing in your mind are the previous words of the speaker, one of Asmodeus's infernal heralds:
"Attempt thou not to tamper with my lord, for he is mightier indeed than thine mortal mind can conceive."

Chaelos
2010-03-29, 12:48 AM
The man smiles pleasantly, giving a slight bow to the others. Although handsome, he appears somewhat disheveled--as if just returning from a long expedition in the wilderness. Flecks of ash dot the deep blue cloak he wears about his shoulders, and the faint odor of brimstone surrounds him.

"Hello, gentlemen." He arches an eyebrow, studying the three of them for a moment, before continuing.

"My name is Kaeyote. I have been... asked to assist you in your endeavor." His hands splay wide in an open, friendly manner. "What do you need?"

Aecus
2010-03-29, 04:06 AM
In a strained voice Vandelion speaks to the new arrival "Greetings to you as well Kaeyote. I have heard of your conquests and your unique stature is the talk of many mages of the land. I shall explain our situation forthwith." Vandelion then fills Kaeyote in as quickly as possible, before turning back to Drasell and answering him.

[color=blue]"We are protected from scrying traditionally, but I have found that even despite that, the Jade Phoenix Mages have the ability to find us. We might still reap some benefits from my protections, but simply laying low is out of the question. I would not have sought out allies as I did if I thought it was be so easy to hide. It is possible the methods they have to find us are inexact or take a while to operate, in which case we could potentially seek out our other goal while remaining on the move, but that might by risky. In addition, if you have any questions about the mages, simply ask Ulyaoth. He knows a great deal of information about each one of them."

Finally turning to Ulyaoth, Vandelion sees his anger and attempts to assuage it with a private, almost whisper. "Our actions have obviously have not escaped the notice of all beings. Sooner or later, Asmodeus would have gotten involved if he cares enough to send two servants our way. I would not be surprised if my mistake in the summoning spell was in some way induced by his powers, so that he could easily take control of the portal. I do not think I could have made such an amateur mistake without outside influences, and I think you know me well enough to take that for the truth.

This situation is not ideal, but at least we now have powerful allies that the Jade Phoenix Mages do not know about, and that might be enough to turn the tide. We will simply have to watch our backs when we get near the end game of this whole ordeal, and to be truthful, I suspect all of us were already going to be doing that." Vandelion finishes muttering, before turning back to the entire group.

"Let me enumerate quickly on the mages, and like said if you want more information ask Ulyaoth...."

"As an individual, I believe Amkar Bejral would be the easiest to take down. However, he does have a rather large support network. Of course, a well placed spell or two could eliminate the majority of them. So, for now, if we are chasing after the mages, he is my personal vote for first target." Vandelion finishes.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-29, 03:49 PM
Ulyaoth
Indeed, I believe that living as he does out in the desert, he will make the easiest target. I suspect any and all advantages we may currently have are going to be on very strict time limits, so I believe striking swiftly is best. I believe the four of us can manage the Wind Dervishes, at least. Protection from fire will be useful, however."

Chaelos
2010-03-29, 04:06 PM
Listen check to hear what the two were saying:
[roll0]
If he succeeds: Kaeyote smiles in amusement at being called a 'servant,' but doesn't react otherwise.

"As far as I'm concerned, they're all dead men. However, it sounds as if the swordsage, Irutaro, may be alone still; we would need to verify this, of course, but if so, he seems like the low hanging fruit on the vine, as it were. I'd go after him, personally." He shrugs

"Like I said, though--they're all my targets, as far as I'm concerned. If you gentlemen want to hit dervish-boy first, I'll be happy to join in."

Kaeyote mutters a few words, and arcane energy swirls about him.

Kaeyote casts Mind Blank (24 hour duration) and an extended Overland Flight spell on himself (37 hour duration). He already has the contingency spell cast on him from a few days earlier, with a few days remaining on it; if he's restrained in any way against his will, a dimension door (acquired via the Spellpool) will be cast that sends him 1080 feet away, in a direction he chooses.
Spell slots used for today:
1 level 8
1 level 6

DragoonWraith
2010-03-29, 04:14 PM
Ulyaoth
"None of them is truly alone; they keep in contact with each other. The desert simply may provide a suitable buffer for delaying reinforcements."

Chaelos
2010-03-29, 05:25 PM
"Like I said," Kaeyote replies, now hovering lazily a few inches off the ground, "They're all on my list. I'll defer priority to you gents."

Drend
2010-03-29, 06:19 PM
It sounds like a plan then. How are we getting there?

Aecus
2010-03-29, 07:04 PM
"I could quite easily teleport us to the general vicinity if we so desire. However I do not know the exact location of his sanctum."

Chaelos
2010-03-30, 04:37 PM
"I can protect us from fire, at least partially," Kaeyote nods. "But only for about three hours. And doing so will deplete my spellpool reserves for the day--so, perhaps it would best be saved for later."

He looks around at the others. "I agree that we must move quickly, but first: is anyone else currently not under the protection of some form of scry-warding? I'd hate for a nigh-omnipotent cadre of immortal mages to be tuning in to our every pleasantry."

If anyone isn't warded, Kaeyote will cast Mind Blanks on them. When we get out to the desert, Kaeyote will call four Resist Energy spells from the spellpool, one for each of the party.

Elfin
2010-03-30, 04:57 PM
As the map is up in the OOC thread, you can feel free to decide upon a point to teleport to.

Drend
2010-03-31, 04:13 AM
I could use one of those blanks. I had to trade my necklace for a favor... We need to get moving. I suggest scrying on them, then dropping in on them in the night. Element of surprise and all.

Chaelos
2010-03-31, 07:13 PM
"Sure thing." Kaeyote smiles amiably, raises a finger, and touches the Drow's forehead, whispering, "Blank."

He turns to the other two. "Either of you need warding?"

Cast Mind Blank on Drasell.
Spell slots used:
2 Level 8
1 Level 6

"Pardon me, gentlemen--I'll return momentarily, while you discuss strategy and effectuate your scrying."

Kaeyote closes his eyes and, after a moment, disappears.

Cast Invisibility on self.
Spell slots used:
2 Level 8
1 Level 6
1 Level 2

What happens on his trip:
Unseen by most, he ascends into the air and flies to the nearby Guildhall of the Arcane Order. Once there, he is greeted by a beautiful red-headed woman in bright armor. She has her arms crossed, and a suspicious look on her face.

"Where have you been, Kae? The men were worried when you vanished, and we hadn't even started celebrating yet..." She inhales lightly, her nose wrinkling. "And you smell like brimstone."

"I have been... contracted to assist some gentlemen in an endeavor. If all goes well, things will turn out very nicely for us--but I have no plans to take you or the men along." He smiles. "This is something I have to do alone. But I'll be alright. I promise."

She looks at him for a long moment, as if gauging the sincerity of his words, before a resigned expression settles in her face. "Will you require anything further, 'sir'?"

"Watch Rachel for me." He reaches into a fold of his cloak, withdrawing a small, uncannily perceptive weasel, and hands it to her. "Also, I wouldn't mind a fire immunity spell. Or the usual vestment enchantment on my shield. But, of course, I wouldn't want you to put Kord out too much..."

She nods. "Of course, sir. Whatever you say sir."

Allana casts Energy Immunity (fire) (24 hour duration) and an extended magic vestment spell (30 hour duration) on Kaeyote's shield.

"I appreciate it, Allana. You have command until I return."

"I'll be praying for you." She flicks her head toward the door. "Go."

Kaeyote returns to the group, this time on walking. A few minutes have passed since he left, and he looks grim.

"Ready to go."

Aecus
2010-03-31, 07:33 PM
"Neither Ulyaoth or I require wards, thank you. I shielded us prior.

If we are agreed then, I shall take us to Andrama, and we can inquire further from there. Even if I scryed on him through Ulyaoath's assistance, I doubt that I would recognize any landmarks in a desert, so I would not be able to teleport us to him directly. So we need to find their general vicinity first, at least."

Assuming no objections, Vandelion will greater teleport everyone to Andrama, preferably next to a large trading hub that might have information on the Dervishes' current whereabouts.

Chaelos
2010-03-31, 07:47 PM
No objection here.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-31, 08:49 PM
Ulyaoth
"I think it best to get going. The window of opportunity we have before us is quite possibly closing."

Elfin
2010-03-31, 11:00 PM
The now-familiar tendrils of magic energy reach from the heavens at Vandelion's call, wrapping themselves about your group and thrusting you for a moment into the void.
Stars and planets, suns and moons all swirl about you as before, and soon you find yourselves whipped by harsh winds, mercilessly biting at your skin and tearing at your hair; you stand upon an enormous dune of sand which rolls toward a city of golden domes and white walls perhaps a mile off.
Registering your surroundings, you notice two things.

The skies in the opposite direction of the city are towered over by a colossal, billowing cloud of dust, rapidly approaching.

And the dune you stand on just blinked at you with a huge, crimson eye.

Roll initiative and make Spot checks.

Vandelion:
You tried to teleport directly into the City of Golden Domes, one of Andrama's chief trading centers - however, teleporting there, you felt an enormous deal of resistance and got shunted to the side of it.

Chaelos
2010-03-31, 11:56 PM
"Wonderful."

Initiative: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

DragoonWraith
2010-04-01, 12:23 AM
Ulyaoth
"Your expertise comes into question again, Vandelion," says Ulyaoth as he takes a battle stance, tentacles flailing, feeling for any additional information that could be gleaned from the environment.

Ulyaoth has Blindsense 60 ft., if that comes into play.

[roll0]
[roll1]