PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited material components

Myrmex
2009-12-13, 04:02 PM
Last session our party found a spell components pouch that will allows us to pull out any material component we need, including extremely expensive ones.

Clearly this is a very abusable item.

What are some spells that we can get a lot of mileage out of now that we're not limited by gold? I am extremely tempted to make a zombie army, but I have an exalted cohort, so that may not be the wisest of choices.

Siosilvar
2009-12-13, 04:05 PM
Forcecage is a good one with an expensive component.

Grumman
2009-12-13, 04:09 PM
One word: Fabricate.

Voice of Reason
2009-12-13, 04:09 PM
-Raise Dead and True Resurection would be good money-making tools. Most people simply can't afford to bring loved ones back to life with that hefty 1000+ gold price tag, but if you can knock it down to standardized pricing (level 5 x CL 9) you'll have people lining the streets. Alternatively, you can lower the price just a tad (100-200g) to get the economic edge on other casters (if they exist) and just pocket the extra gold for the material component. Plus, you can just use this on yourselves as well :smallwink:

-Stoneskin has only a small price, but at least you don't have to pay it now.

-Free components to power the Black Lore of Moil feat.

Stabber1010
2009-12-13, 04:13 PM
Make alot of empty cocoons. Turn your party into a bunch of adamant dragons. Hire people, turn them into other powerful creatures. Ba-boom, world domination.

Myrmex
2009-12-13, 04:14 PM
One word: Fabricate.

Oh wow. That is abusive.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-13, 04:17 PM
Last session our party found a spell components pouch that will allows us to pull out any material component we need, including extremely expensive ones.

What are some spells that we can get a lot of mileage out of now that we're not limited by gold? I am extremely tempted to make a zombie army, but I have an exalted cohort, so that may not be the wisest of choices.

I believe artifacts are required material components for a few spells.

Moriato
2009-12-13, 04:17 PM
Sounds to me like it's time to research a spell that uses one of each of the +5 Tomes as its material component.

Johel
2009-12-13, 04:26 PM
Or worst :
Wall of Iron

Do you actually HAVE to use the magic components for the spell ?

If not, then you just got yourself an unlimited supply of gold dust.
That's a ready-to-use fortune.
Of course, since you can pretty much get whatever you want and justify it for Fabricate, the point is moot, here.

If yes, you can still produce several tons of iron for a cost of 0 gp.
Selling said iron would then bring you a fortune.
Since the item you got is clearly broken, I suggest you use this scheme first to get TONS of gold, gems and the likes before the DM just make sure the item get "lost".

Sliver
2009-12-13, 04:33 PM
So.. Can you pull out anti-matter? :smallamused:

aje8
2009-12-13, 04:55 PM
You guys are thinking to small. The correct answer is two words:
Ice Assassin.

Of a god. Possibly gods. Congratulations, you've won DnD. Have a nice day.

Yukitsu
2009-12-13, 05:00 PM
Nah, you just get a finger nail or something like that. You can do that trick with eschew materials anyway, since a bit of god spit is considered free.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-13, 05:02 PM
You guys are thinking to small. The correct answer is two words:
Ice Assassin.

Of a god. Possibly gods. Congratulations, you've won DnD. Have a nice day.

Pulling out artifacts is thinking too small?

Myrmex
2009-12-13, 09:45 PM
Good call, Fist. I can cast Apocalypse from the Sky, now. I just need a dozen more levels.

THE_BIG_CHEESE
2009-12-13, 09:50 PM
You can finally assemble the components for the spell Karsus' Avatar, which included (but were not limited to) the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon. Just make sure you don't pick the deity keeping all the world's magic in order.

Lamech
2009-12-13, 10:59 PM
Pulling out artifacts is thinking too small?
Umm... yeah those already come standard in normal spell component pouches. They don't have a listed cost. Therefore they come with the pouch.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-13, 11:50 PM
Umm... yeah those already come standard in normal spell component pouches. They don't have a listed cost. Therefore they come with the pouch.

There's the balance on full casters we've been looking for! All of them are irrevocably insane from having tons of contradictory artifacts in their pouches!

grautry
2009-12-13, 11:55 PM
BoED allows(as an optional rule, if I remember correctly) for ascetic spellcasters to sacrifice 1xp for 5gp worth of magic components.

If you could convince your DM to allow for it to work the other way around(5gp for 1xp) then you could break the game into tiny ickle pieces.

But anyway, without house ruling the game there's an optional rule that could see a lot of use with unlimited material components - this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/metamagicComponents.htm). Hello free metamagic to.... everything?

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 12:02 AM
There's the balance on full casters we've been looking for! All of them are irrevocably insane from having tons of contradictory artifacts in their pouches!

Makes perfect sense!

Wait, doesn't that mean that all wizards will be merely KILLING THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH NO ONE ABLE TO STOP THEM instead of simply being way too effective at their job?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-14, 12:07 AM
Stoneskins are pretty handy if you've got the unlimited diamond dust...

Question: can you actually pawn off the material components you pull out? Talk about infinite money...

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-14, 12:15 AM
Wait, doesn't that mean that all wizards will be merely KILLING THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH NO ONE ABLE TO STOP THEM instead of simply being way too effective at their job?
Wizards have a job other than killing the entire world with no one able to stop them? :smalltongue:

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 12:16 AM
Wizards have a job other than killing the entire world with no one able to stop them? :smalltongue:

Well, In theory, and this is just what I've HEARD mind you, the PCs, thats you guys, are supposed to be, get this, HEROES, and do things like SAVING PEOPLE. Crazy, I know. But I swear I've heard so.

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-14, 12:25 AM
Haberdashery! If we save the people, there will be nobody to turn into zombies!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 12:32 AM
BoED and BoVD(and probably a couple other books) have expensive material components like Liquid Pain and Virgin Hearts that can be used to make spells more powerful. Use those with every spell.

Amiel
2009-12-14, 01:20 AM
There's always Ignore Material Components (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#ignoreMaterialComponents).

Myrmex
2009-12-14, 03:10 AM
Stoneskins are pretty handy if you've got the unlimited diamond dust...

Yeah.

I think simply not having to keep track of expensive components is going to be handy. Just being able to magically tattoo myself everyday is going to be awesome.

Question: can you actually pawn off the material components you pull out? Talk about infinite money...

Nope.

BoED and BoVD(and probably a couple other books) have expensive material components like Liquid Pain and Virgin Hearts that can be used to make spells more powerful. Use those with every spell.

Oh man, that's awesome. AWESOME. DELICIOUS.

Haven
2009-12-14, 03:21 AM

Sir, burn that **** right now. There is some hidden curse or horrific drawback that will lead you to a fate worse than death. Like for every spell you cast, you get sent down one level of the abyss. Or for every 500 gp worth of material components you pull from here, you die twice.

It is so bad that the GM is almost certainly going to start lighting your real-life possessions on fire as a balancing factor. Who's tier 5 now, smart guy?

Amiel
2009-12-14, 03:36 AM

It is most likely cursed. Epically cursed.
Did we mention cursed epically?

bosssmiley
2009-12-14, 10:18 AM
You can finally assemble the components for the spell Karsus' Avatar, which included (but were not limited to) the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon. Just make sure you don't pick the deity keeping all the world's magic in order.

Not quite. The the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon were required in order to create just one of the material components of the spell. Given that other, less powerful Netherese spells had material components like "one mythal, destroyed during casting" (summon volcano IIRC), you begin to get an idea of the scope and scale of component bling Karsus' Avatar would require...

Valuable material components - gems, demon hearts, etc. - are part of the wish economy (ie: they retain value because powerful people will always want them as a directly exploitable source of power). Your DM should tread carefully.

Cyclocone
2009-12-14, 10:51 AM
Not quite. The the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon were required in order to create just one of the material components of the spell. Given that other, less powerful Netherese spells had material components like "one mythal, destroyed during casting" (summon volcano IIRC), you begin to get an idea of the scope and scale of component bling Karsus' Avatar would require...

Heh. As I recall, Breach Crystal Sphere uses a 100 ton Spelljammer as a material component... I guess you can pull an entire campain out of this bag.:smallamused:

Myrmex
2009-12-14, 01:27 PM
I just checked out those spell components in BoVD & BoED, and they only work on spells with a good or evil descriptor, which makes them significantly less useful.

The evil ones are also plainly better. Souls can give you a +10 profane bonus to overcoming SR and +2 to save DCs with no %chance of not working.

Munchkin-Masher
2009-12-14, 02:17 PM
I just checked out those spell components in BoVD & BoED, and they only work on spells with a good or evil descriptor, which makes them significantly less useful.

The evil ones are also plainly better. Souls can give you a +10 profane bonus to overcoming SR and +2 to save DCs with no %chance of not working.

Use Metamagic to make all your spells evil.

Also this item can be used to replicate XP in spells as you can use it to pull out an infinite amount of souls or Liquid pain/Agony. (see page 33 of BoVD)

Optimystik
2009-12-14, 02:46 PM
Use Metamagic to make all your spells evil.

Specifically, Corrupt Spell (CDiv has the 3.5 version.) Not only does it turn your spells evil, it converts half the damage on damaging spells into divine energy, which effectively makes it untyped damage against most foes. +1 to spell level. You have to be evil though.

Myrmex
2009-12-14, 02:50 PM
Specifically, Corrupt Spell (CDiv has the 3.5 version.) Not only does it turn your spells evil, it converts half the damage on damaging spells into divine energy, which effectively makes it untyped damage against most foes. +1 to spell level. You have to be evil though.

Yeah... not going to work out so hot with my Exalted cohort.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-14, 02:55 PM
Then use the appropriate Good analogue and the appropriate Good optional components. Easy as that.

Myrmex
2009-12-14, 02:57 PM
Then use the appropriate Good analogue and the appropriate Good optional components. Easy as that.

But the evil ones are better. :smallfrown:

TBH, I'm not sure a +1 metamagic adjustment on my spells & a feat slot is worth the minor boosts that proc less than 1/2 the time. I could just take a feat that would give me the benefit all the time, without using a higher spell slot.

Munchkin-Masher
2009-12-15, 08:37 PM
But the evil ones are better. :smallfrown:

TBH, I'm not sure a +1 metamagic adjustment on my spells & a feat slot is worth the minor boosts that proc less than 1/2 the time. I could just take a feat that would give me the benefit all the time, without using a higher spell slot.

Just use some cheesy metamagic reducer.

Edit: Or get rid of you stupid good cohort and get yourself a succubus or something.

Also this is all you will ever need:

Disintegrate Empowered Trapped voidstone 3,100 gp

That means free empowered disintegrate. FOREVER.
(as per the Metamagic Components variant in UA)

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 08:50 PM
Just use some cheesy metamagic reducer.

The only one that exists in the books we're using is a prc for hobgoblin sorcerers that loses 7 CLs and requires a BAB of +6.

Edit: Or get rid of you stupid good cohort and get yourself a succubus or something.

3/4 the party are good. Corrupt Spell is also +1, and using souls are marginally better.

Also this is all you will ever need:

Disintegrate Empowered Trapped voidstone 3,100 gp

That means free empowered disintegrate. FOREVER.
(as per the Metamagic Components variant in UA)

3.0 disintegrate doesn't work like that. It is a save or die, not a save or take some damage.

sofawall
2009-12-16, 12:28 AM
Haberdashery!

Inigo Montoya would like to have a word with you.

Munchkin-Masher
2009-12-16, 12:55 AM
3/4 the party are good.

Bah. Humbug.

dragonfan6490
2009-12-16, 09:59 PM
3.0 disintegrate doesn't work like that. It is a save or die, not a save or take some damage.

3.5 disintegrate however, does. Its a ranged touch attack, 40d6, 5d6 if you pass the fort save.

Zom B
2009-12-16, 10:02 PM
True Resurrection

Get a warforged friend with a feat like Mithril Body.
Kill him.
Cut a minute sliver off of his body, and cast the True Resurrection on it.
Sell the Mithril scrap.
Profit?

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 10:07 PM
3.5 disintegrate however, does. Its a ranged touch attack, 40d6, 5d6 if you pass the fort save.

Which is even worse.

Get a warforged friend with a feat like Mithril Body.
Kill him.
Cut a minute sliver off of his body, and cast the True Resurrection on it.
Sell the Mithril scrap.
Profit?

I was thinking of casting that spell on dragonhide armor.

Tavar
2009-12-16, 10:32 PM
I was thinking of casting that spell on dragonhide armor.
Older dragons are generally harder to kill than warforged. If you're up to it, though, the dragon method certainly is effective.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-16, 10:50 PM

Holy crap, I'm not the only 2nd Ed holdover that remembers that? Wasn't that recycled in another adventure revolving around the cornerstone of the world, that was supposed to be the lynchpin holding it in the cosmos?

Douglas
2009-12-16, 10:50 PM
Older dragons are generally harder to kill than warforged. If you're up to it, though, the dragon method certainly is effective.
No, no, you find a recurring villain who wears dragonhide armor so the "kill a dragon" bit has already been taken care of, plan a fight for him, cast True Resurrection beforehand and hold the charge (it's a touch spell, you can do that), then touch his armor. He suddenly has no armor, and there is a very much alive and powerful dragon right next to him who is most likely angry at him and grateful to you. This isn't about making money, it's about an utterly hilarious way to defeat a powerful enemy and gain a powerful ally at the same time.

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 10:53 PM
No, no, you find a recurring villain who wears dragonhide armor so the "kill a dragon" bit has already been taken care of, plan a fight for him, cast True Resurrection beforehand and hold the charge (it's a touch spell, you can do that), then touch his armor. He suddenly has no armor, and there is a very much alive and powerful dragon right next to him who is most likely angry at him and grateful to you. This isn't about making money, it's about an utterly hilarious way to defeat a powerful enemy and gain a powerful ally at the same time.

Buahahahahaha!!!!

Tavar
2009-12-16, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I remember that one. Next high level game I play, I really need to play a class that can do it.