PDA

View Full Version : Miko's name symbolic?

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 06:03 PM
I was looking through the baby names (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/) website for my character in an upcoming dnd game, when I came across this. (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Miko.html)

Origin: Japanese
Meaning: Crimson truth

The Giant is definitely very clever...

Vulkan
2009-12-13, 06:07 PM
Hey that's pretty cool.. <_< Kind of wish she wasn't dead now..

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-13, 06:13 PM
I also believe Miko is the name of a female preistess. One who doesn't have contact with many boys, and is usually thought of as having a stick up her ass. :smalltongue:

I think I read that somewhere. :smallconfused:

Haven
2009-12-13, 06:16 PM
Considering what "Shojo" means, I don't think the Giant researched these names.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 06:20 PM
Yea, it says in the link:
Miko is also the Japanese vocabulary word referring to women in the service of Shinto shrines.
So double meaning there?:smalltongue:

EDIT: @^: Are you kidding? He didn't even need to do research to realize how hilarious that would be. That one, I would definitely say he did on purpose.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-13, 06:23 PM
And Kabuto means both helmet, and beetle. :smalltongue:

Kish
2009-12-13, 06:30 PM
Meaningless, as there hasn't been a character in the comic named Kabuto.

JoseB
2009-12-13, 06:31 PM
And Kabuto means both helmet, and beetle. :smalltongue:

Which is interesting and would apply to OotS, were it not for the fact that our dearly departed evil scheming aristocrat was named KUBOTA (which happens to be the name of a manufacturer of earth-moving equipment, among other things).

[Edit: Curses, ninja'd!]

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-13, 06:34 PM
Heh, sorry aboot that. :smallredface:

Lord Thurlvin
2009-12-13, 06:36 PM

What does "Shojo" mean?

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-13, 06:38 PM
It means "Girl" :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-13, 07:10 PM
What does "Shojo" mean?

Technically: "Girly" or "For Girls".

Haven
2009-12-13, 07:12 PM
EDIT: @^: Are you kidding? He didn't even need to do research to realize how hilarious that would be. That one, I would definitely say he did on purpose.

Eh? That's not hilarious so much as mildly inappropriate, but not so much so to be funny. Which makes me think it's unintentional. Or in other words, "What is this Japanese you speak of?"

Similarly I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking of "a superlative amount of the number five" when he named Daigo.

Squark
2009-12-13, 07:21 PM
Actually, as some people have said, I believe (somewhere, although this is hearsay), The Giant said the names were made up, so any irony or symbolism is entirely coincidental.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-13, 07:39 PM
was named KUBOTA (which happens to be the name of a manufacturer of earth-moving equipment, among other things).

Apparently it also means 凹田 , ' rice field in a low place.'

Pretty blatantly the Giant was intending to show that Kubota was like a field of rice, growing in a low place, where no one notices the danger of the rice field until it grows so tall it KILLS EVERYONE.

Yeah.

EDIT: 'Lien' and 'O-Chul', meanwhile, are in horrific violation of the Japan motif. Lien could possibly fit for Chinese. 力恩? 麗恩? Something like that.

Please pardon my Hanzi/Kanji.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 07:49 PM
Eh? That's not hilarious so much as mildly inappropriate, but not so much so to be funny. Which makes me think it's unintentional. Or in other words, "What is this Japanese you speak of?"

Similarly I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking of "a superlative amount of the number five" when he named Daigo.

Okay, hilarious was a little bit of an exaggeration. But seriously, its an old dude whose name means "girl". And to a lesser extent, he acts sort of like one. He carries around a white cat with the pet name "Mr. Scruffy, tell me that's not even mildly amusing.

EDIT:
Actually, as some people have said, I believe (somewhere, although this is hearsay), The Giant said the names were made up, so any irony or symbolism is entirely coincidental.

That name is clearly symbolic. It fits Miko nearly to a T. She constantly desires truth (albeit, in a black-and-white form) and in the end she sort of betrayed the Sapphire guard and Azure City by murdering Lord Shojo. She also acts like-as Zersk aptly put it-she has a stick up her ass and doesn't do well with guys.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-12-13, 08:16 PM
That name is clearly symbolic. It fits Miko nearly to a T. She constantly desires truth (albeit, in a black-and-white form) and in the end she sort of betrayed the Sapphire guard and Azure City by murdering Lord Shojo. She also acts like-as Zersk aptly put it-she has a stick up her ass and doesn't do well with guys.
The name clearly fits Miko...if I apply certain qualifications and assume that "red" somehow means "anti-blue".

Starscream
2009-12-13, 08:16 PM
O-Chul doesn't have a Japanese meaning, Japan has an O-Chulese meaning.

Formulaic, yes, but necessary.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 08:22 PM
The name clearly fits Miko...if I apply certain qualifications and assume that "red" somehow means "anti-blue".

I thought that it could be assumed. Red vs. Blue occurs in the world all the time. Which is why purple is often considered the color of peace.

Somewhere
2009-12-13, 08:25 PM
Slight flaw with this topic: You're interpreting a logographic language-based name through a phonogrammic perspective.

FujinAkari
2009-12-13, 08:29 PM

No it isn't.

Rich has explicitly stated that he choose the name 'Miko' because it sounded vaguely Japanese, and that he was unaware of any specific meanings. Yes, its actual definition is very coincidental, but that is all it is.

Insisting that the author is lying is not a good argument :P

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 08:48 PM
Oh come now, let me have my fun and believe that he did it intentionally. :smalltongue:

And I really had no idea whether he did it on purpose or not, I don't frequent the OOTS discussion forums at all, so you can't blame me for not knowing.

Half-orc Bard
2009-12-13, 10:31 PM
What does Hinjo and O-Chul mean?

John Cribati
2009-12-13, 10:37 PM
I find it hilarious that the Giant can pull random syllables out ass ass and they still end up Japanese (O-Chul and Lien notwithstanding)

For example, Isamu means "strength."

Knaight
2009-12-13, 10:46 PM
Oh come now, let me have my fun and believe that he did it intentionally. :smalltongue:

And I really had no idea whether he did it on purpose or not, I don't frequent the OOTS discussion forums at all, so you can't blame me for not knowing.

Of course. And while we are at it, why not bust out the text level analysis. The use of two syllables in her name is indicative of a dual nature, which combined with her initial appearance in a hood suggests a masking motif, and the idea of a lie to get closer to the truth. In addition the first syllable is pronounced either my or me, showing a self centered perspective, while maintaining the idea of servitude. This suggests the dual nature again, but it also suggests a facade. Furthermore look at the colors chosen for Miko. Her black hair and white horse are clearly there for contrast, suggesting distance from other people, and her tendencies towards brash orders at her horse suggests her propensity for viewing other people as tools, masked by her own servitude. Even the classes chosen support this idea, the transition away from monks, who are in an order, to paladins, who follow their own code suggests an unveiling of the mask to show the selfishness and self centeredness that leads to her downfall. Furthermore look at the second syllable, "koh". You get the idea.

Or it was just a name picked because it sounded nice, and fit a syllabic nomenclature attached to a culture. Your choice.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-13, 10:53 PM
What did I ever do to you? :smallfrown:

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-13, 11:26 PM
Oh come on, krazd, is it any worse than that idea I had of Yoshi/Sasan? :smallamused:

O-Chul does have a meaning. The "O" in O-Chul is actually a 0. It is the number of people who have survived O-Chul.

Lien, as in Lyin', as in Lying, meaning Lying in bed. Meaning, in bed, because she was in the strip with over 9,000 double entendres. :smalltongue:

I am having lots of fun with this.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-13, 11:37 PM

Closest I'm pulling up for Hinjo is 'Hinja' (ひんじゃ), or 貧者, meaning 'poor person.'

Of course, this is just looking at common words rather than any Kanji that might be thrown together for a name.

O-Chul is...very, very non-Japanese. Maybe he's half-Irish-equivalent-culture.

Thanatosia
2009-12-13, 11:42 PM

It was clever forshadowing, he was saying that Shojo's life was destined to be taken by a girl.

HZ514
2009-12-14, 12:08 AM
What do you mean, it's not symbolic? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlebqmxtrir9bav?from=Main.WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSy mbolic)

T-O-E
2009-12-14, 01:28 AM

Crimson Truth:
Haley: She lies a lot and has red hair.
Roy: He wears blue armour and is lied to a lot.
Redcloak: He knows the truth from his crimson cloak.
Vaarsuvius: She wears red and knows a thousand arcane secrets.
Girard: He has red hair and is an illusionist aka a trickster.
Sabine: Wears red and is a succubus aka a trickster.
Durkon: He knows the truth about the evil of Loki (who has red hair and is a liar).
Goblin ninjas: Wear red belts and are tricksters.
Kubota: Had a pet demon and is a liar.
Demon Principal: Is red and wants to know the truth about the goblin teen before accepting him.
Xykon: Has a red cloak and is good at lying.
Pompey: Has red hair and is a wizard (a seeker of truth.)

:smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-12-14, 01:51 AM
A lot of names have meanings to them.

"Sophia" means "the wise one" in some language or other. One of the romantic ones. Spanish?

Anyway, a lot of Japanese names also have meanings.

You're reading too much into it.

Hell, my own name means something to the effect of: "Providential Law" or "Cosmic Predestination" or somesuch.

EDIT:
Excuse me, I have a terrible urge to go seize the reins of the universe somehow, just to live up to my name.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-14, 02:09 AM
I just thought it was ironic that her name meant "Crimson" not necessarily the truth part.

sentaku
2009-12-14, 02:21 AM
A lot of names have meanings to them.

"Sophia" means "the wise one" in some language or other. One of the romantic ones. Spanish?

Anyway, a lot of Japanese names also have meanings.

You're reading too much into it.

Hell, my own name means something to the effect of: "Providential Law" or "Cosmic Predestination" or somesuch.

Right we should not just be looking at the Asian sounding names lets continue with
wild mass guessing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WildMassGuessing) and expend to the rest of the cast.

Roy - seems to mean red in Gaelic/Irish and "King" in French. The red part obviously was foreshadowing his death in his quest to defeat Xykon. (red being the color of blood). The second meaning obviously means that he will be awarded a kingdom for his deeds.

Asta Kask
2009-12-14, 05:51 AM

Considering that he's older than dirt, this is actually rather creepy.

Nerdanel
2009-12-14, 06:29 AM
Miko meaning a Shinto shrine maiden is really a suspiciously good fit.

If my extremely poor Japanese is correct, Tsukiko means Moonchild. Maybe her parents were hippies or maybe she gave it for herself since she thought it sounded dark and mysterious.

JoseB
2009-12-14, 08:56 AM
Regarding the names, I think that (by chance) some of them are more appropriate than thought.

For instance, Shojo. Although "shoujo" can indeed mean "young girl" if written with the "少女" kanjis, it actually means "promotion, advancement" if written with the "昇叙" kanjis. Both words are pronounced the same, but the second applies most definitely to our dearly departed octogenarian scheming lord.

Regarding Hinjo, it can be written as "品允", with the kanjis "品" (read as "hin") meaning, among other things, "dignity" and "允" (read as "jou") meaning, also among other things, "sincerity". We can agree that "dignity and sincerity" both apply to our beloved paladin.

Given that Azure City is not so much Japanese as "all things east asian", I would say there are other influences at play when it comes to names.

"Lien" sounds very definitely Chinese.
"O-Chul", "Sangwaan" and "Mijung" sounds more Korean to me, although the "Chul" (which sounds Korean) has the Japanese honorific "O-" in front.

Just my 2 eurocent!

P.S.: @ LurkerInPlayground above: "Sophia" means "wisdom" in Greek (cf. "Philosophy" = "Love of wisdom")

Ash Williams
2009-12-14, 09:42 AM

Well, I think that "Hinjo" means "being similar to or having traits like that of a hinge".

Samurai Jill
2009-12-14, 11:30 AM
IIRC, Rich has disavowed any explicit tribute or symbolism is his choice of name(s) for Miko- he just looked up something from the phonebook, so to speak. Nor is she named after the famous japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki, though it would be really cool if she were.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-14, 11:45 AM
Regarding Hinjo, it can be written as "品允", with the kanjis "品" (read as "hin") meaning, among other things, "dignity" and "允" (read as "jou") meaning, also among other things, "sincerity". We can agree that "dignity and sincerity" both apply to our beloved paladin.

Ahh, a fellow stupid of 漢字! I'm still a rank amateur with Japanese, much more familiar with Mandarin Chinese, so 品允 to me comes out meaning something like "product consent." Heh.

"Lien" sounds very definitely Chinese.

'En' would almost certainly be 恩, or 'kindness.' 'Li' could be a lot of different characters, but since Lien is a woman I would take a wild stab and say her parents would use 麗, or 'beautiful.'

So 麗恩 fits. The Giant may not have been aiming for meaning, but by pure accident he stumbled across some...in a very generic, all-of-East-Asia-throw-together-into-a-pile kind of way.

Somewhere
2009-12-14, 02:25 PM
Miko meaning a Shinto shrine maiden is really a suspiciously good fit.

If my extremely poor Japanese is correct, Tsukiko means Moonchild. Maybe her parents were hippies or maybe she gave it for herself since she thought it sounded dark and mysterious.

The usual suspects for 'Tsukiko' would indeed be 月 'moon' and 子 'child'.

That said, I don't think that the Giant has provided official kanji/hanzi for the names. None of us can say with certainty what any of the Japanese or Chinese sounding names mean. As long as the kanji/hanzi have the possible readings, it can work.
For example, 粉 (flour/powder) can be read as 'ko'. Maybe Tsukiko is moon powder. 坏 (bowl) and 槻 (Zelkova tree) can be read as 'tsuki'.
As for Miko...actually, now that I'm looking through jisho.org, what kanji for crimson can be read as 'mi'?

Anyway, underlying point for half of the people who've posted in this topic: Interpreting logographic language through a phonogrammic perspective doesn't exactly work.

Prime32
2009-12-14, 02:37 PM
From here: http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

Hin = poverty; becoming poor; living in poverty
thing; article; goods;
dignity; class; quality;

Jo = help; rescue; assistant

Hinjo could mean "a dignified one who helps those who have become poor" :smalltongue:

And apparently "Miko" can also mean "Child of the emperor" or "Jesus". Yes, you read that last one right (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory). :smalltongue:
Interestingly, "mikkou" means "prowling about; travelling in secret" and "mikkoku" (the first result which came up) means "secret information; betrayal; inform on"

Ash Williams
2009-12-14, 02:38 PM
Anyway, underlying point for half of the people who've posted in this topic: Interpreting logographic language through a phonogrammic perspective doesn't exactly work.

Hence, my definition of "Hinjo" :smallsmile:.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-14, 03:01 PM
That said, I don't think that the Giant has provided official kanji/hanzi for the names. None of us can say with certainty what any of the Japanese or Chinese sounding names mean.

If I were to bet, I'd say he couldn't provide kanji/hanzi for the names, unless he has some fascination with East Asian languages we don't know about. He just grabbed a bunch of random syllables that sound suitably Japanese/Chinese/Korean and threw them together, hoping for the best.

That doesn't mean those of us who do have an interest in East Asian languages can't have fun with it, of course.