PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spell Rules Clarification

whisperlupine
2009-12-13, 07:03 PM
ok, weird question, but having scoured ELH and every other sourcebook I could think of, I can't figure this out.

What about using the Epic Spell Fortify Seed to add HD to a creature or character...is this considered a class level? What about skill points, feats, ability bonuses, etc? I have a player wanting to design an epic spell doing just that, and I'm not sure how to handle. Thus far, I'm thinking not class level, because then he'd just keep using it to make his character higher and higher level wizard, but not sure about whether he gets skill points, character level feats and ability increases, or CON bonus to hit points per HD added.

Also, the character is multiclassed, so it's added HD would be based on which character class, or would it be based on racial HD standard or on the 5 hit points to make it an HD?

He's making it permanent, so what would this do to his XP total?

On an unrelated sidenote...there has been some argument over whether the number of epic spells per day are based on Knowledge (arcane or religion) ranks (how many skill points spent, max CL+3) or the total (including INT modifier). Any advice on this one?

Mooch
2009-12-13, 07:15 PM
not sure about the Hd but in respect to the epic spell slots the number is based on ranks not total

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicSpellcasting

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-13, 07:23 PM
What about using the Epic Spell Fortify Seed to add HD to a creature or character...is this considered a class level? What about skill points, feats, ability bonuses, etc? I have a player wanting to design an epic spell doing just that, and I'm not sure how to handle. Thus far, I'm thinking not class level, because then he'd just keep using it to make his character higher and higher level wizard, but not sure about whether he gets skill points, character level feats and ability increases, or CON bonus to hit points per HD added.

What in the Fortify seed text gives you the impression that this is at all possible? I'm serious; I see nothing about adding HD.

Epic spell slots are governed by ranks, not total bonus.

Edit: I see something about this in the Conjure seed, but that only applies to creatures you're creating. You can't just apply that to anybody.

whisperlupine
2009-12-13, 11:18 PM
What in the Fortify seed text gives you the impression that this is at all possible? I'm serious; I see nothing about adding HD...

The use of the Fortify seed about how 5 added hit points makes a HD isn't repeated because the conjure seed comes first and the sidebar containing it came first. It's not repeated, but the wording is:

To give a creature Hit Dice, use the fortify seed. Each 5 hit points granted to the creature give it an additional 1 HD.

Looks like it wasn't repeated to avoid redundancy, but it doesn't specify that it's only for a creature you are currently creating.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-13, 11:28 PM
Fortify to add HD only appears in the Origin of Species Sidebar. I'm fairly certain that rules set forth in a sidebar detailing an alternate use apply only to the alternate use.

whisperlupine
2009-12-13, 11:37 PM
So, add an ad-hoc bonus for each HD, based on the 5 hit point rule? For instance, to grant an HD, the character must use, say, the 10 DC for the 5 hp, plus and ad-hoc of 5 more or something? Remembering that with epic spells, not really anything is impossible, just harder.

wormwood
2009-12-14, 09:30 AM
If someone tried this kind of shenanigans with me, I'd allow him to add HD to himself without comment. As soon as the spell was complete, however, I'd hand him a new character sheet with no class levels and however many HD he had just added. New creature. New character. Enjoy!

From what I understand, the references to added HD are only to creatures you are creating out of nothing or summoning. In theory, epic magic can do anything, but if you let it do anything in practice, you might as well just tell the wizard "you win" and all go home.