PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Enhanced Werewolf P.E.A.C.H.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-13, 07:14 PM
I hope I'm using P.E.A.C.H. correctly...

This is a werewolf template I made because I'm tired of having the vampire vs. werewolf argument. I hated that vampires are infinitely superior to werewolf in 3.5. so I made a more powerful one.

I'm very new at this home brew stuff so be brutally honest.

-0-

Werewolf is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or giant creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A Werewolf uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

This template is applied to the base creature and is considered the creature’s base form.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +3.

Size and Type: The creature’s type does not change but it does gain the shape-changer subtype. Size is unchanged.

Speed: Same as the base creature.

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +2.

Special Qualities: A werewolf retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Saves have a DC of 10 + 1/2 werewolf’s HD + Werewolf’s Con modifier unless noted otherwise.

Pheromones (Ex): All creatures of the same species (Base species, not necessarily a werewolf) within a 15 ft radius of a werewolf in its base form must succeed a will save or be charmed as if by a charm person spell. This status lasts as long as the charmed creature remains in regular contact with the werewolf, ending if the charmed creature spends more than 2 days without coming within 15ft of the werewolf. Creatures or people without the ability to smell are immune to this ability. Any creature who succeeds against this ability is immune it its effects for the next 24 hours.

Wolf Brother (Su): In any form, a werewolf can communicate and empathize with normal or dire wolves. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as “friend,” “foe,” “flee,” and “attack.”

Child of the Moon (Su): During each night at 12 -O- clock a werewolf must make a will save (DC 15) or into a hybrid beast. This save increases in difficulty by + 2 to the save DC for every night the werewolf goes without changing into hybrid form. In this form a werewolf is a savage beast and cannot control his actions. It will usually attack the first creature it encounters in an attempt to feed. When finished, the werewolf will usually revert to base form in a safe secluded location. If there is a full moon a werewolf does not get a will save and immediately transforms at midnight. However, a werewolf bound in a silver coller or in silver manacles or any restraining device composed of silver cannot make the transformation into hybrid form, willingly or otherwise; though being restrained in such a way is extremely uncomfortable for a werewolf and he takes a - 4 penalty to both his strength score and his constitution score when bound in such a way. this penalty is lifted immedialtely after the restraints are removed, an cannot be healed or removed in any way before then.

In times of dire need a werewolf might attempt to call forth the curse of the werewolf to defeat a powerful foe or save a valued comrade. In this case a werewolf can attempt to induce a transformation by succeeding a will save (DC 10 + HD + Con Mod.) During this time a werewolf can control his actions to accomplish a specific task (defined before the transformation begins) when this task is complete the werewolf must succeed another will save (DC 15 + HD + Con Mod.) or lose control like any other transformation. If this save is succeeded, the werewolf reverts back to its base form and is exhausted.

Survival Instinct (Ex): If at anytime a werewolf in human form is reduced to 10% Hit Points (or if he ever takes damage which exceeds his massive damage threshold.) the creature must make a will save DC (15 + HD + Con Mod.) or change into hybrid form. In hybrid form the werewolf cannot control his actions and will attempt to defeat the challenge or escape if victory does not seem possible.

Fast Healing 1 (Ex): A werewolf in its base form heals 1 point of damage every round as long as it has at least 1 hp remaining. This Ability does not heal damage caused by silver weapons.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A werewolf gains damage reduction 3/silver.

Abilities: +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis

Skills: A werewolf gains a +2 racial bonus to the following skills: Listen, Spot, Intimidate, Jump, Climb.

HYBRID FORM

When in Hybrid Form a werewolf gains the following abilities and uses all the base creature’s statistics except as noted here.

Size and Type: Size increases by one category (small to medium, medium to large, large to huge)

Speed: base land speed becomes 50ft. If creatures base land speed is greater than 50ft., it remains the same.

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +6. this increase replaces the bonus granted to the base form and does not stack with it.

Attack: A werewolf retains all the natural attacks of the base creature and gains a bite attack and two claw attacks if it didn’t already have them. These weapons deal damage based on the hybrid form’s size. The bite attack of a hybrid is a secondary attack. The werewolf loses the ability to use manufactured weapons and any spell casting ability it may have possessed; but gains proficiency with all its natural weapons. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons.

Damage:
Hybrid Size Claw Bite
Small 1d3 1d4
Medium 1d4 1d6
Large 1d6 1d8
Huge 2d4 2d6

Special Abilities and Qualities: A werewolf loses the ability to use the special abilities and Qualities of the base creature (even abilities granted to the base form by the werewolf template) and gains those described below. Saves have a DC of 10 + 1/2 werewolf’s HD + werewolf’s Con. modifier unless noted otherwise.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid hit by a natural lycanthrope’s bite attack in hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. If the victim’s size is not within one size category of the lycanthrope the victim cannot contract lycanthropy from that lycanthrope.

Wolf Brother (Su): In any form, a werewolf can communicate and empathize with normal or dire wolves. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as “friend,” “foe,” “flee,” and “attack.”

Low-Light Vision (Ex): A werewolf can see 4x as far in moonlight, torchlight, and other low light areas as a human when it is in its hybrid form.

Howl (Su): The werewolf’s howl strikes fear into all who hear it. Opponents within range who witness the action may become frightened or shaken. All creatures within 30 feet who can both see and hear the werewolf must make a successful Will save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Cha modifier) or become shaken for 5d6 rounds. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that same creature’s frightful presence for 24 hours. This ability may only affect opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the werewolf.

Regeneration (Ex): Werewolves recover from wounds quickly and can even re-grow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the werewolf is treated as non-lethal damage, and the werewolf automatically cures itself of non-lethal damage at a fixed rate or 5 per round. If a limb or body part is severed from a werewolf it re-grows in 2d6 rounds or may be instantly reattached if the severed part is pressed to the stump. Attacks made with silver weapons deal damage to the werewolf normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to non-lethal damage and so doesn’t go away. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through non-lethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to non-lethal damage. Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration. An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by silver weapons.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a werewolf hits with either both of its claws or its bite attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the werewolf. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

Pounce (Ex): When a werewolf makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack.

Trip (Ex): A werewolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the werewolf.

Scent (Ex): This ability lets a werewolf detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges. A werewolf detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the werewolf can pinpoint that source. Using the Track feat, the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a survival check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Werewolves tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility. Werewolves can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights. Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for werewolves. False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Abilities: Increase from the base form as follows: Strength +14, Dexterity +6, Constitution +8, Intelligence -6, Wisdom +2. the modifications listed her replace the bonuses granted to the base form and do not stack with them.

Damage Reduction (Ex): in hybrid form a werewolf gains damage reduction 10/silver

Skills: A werewolf’s racial bonuses to skills increase to a +8.

Feats: Werewolf in hybrid form gains Endurance, Track, Run, Die Hard and Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Great Fortitude assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats. These feats are lost when the werewolf reverts to his base form.

Spell Resistance (Su): Werewolves are naturally resistant to magic. A werewolf in hybrid form gains spell resistance equal to 11 + HD. This Spell resistance does not stack with spell resistance from other sources..

Immunities (Ex): Werewolves in their hybrid from are immune to ability drain, ability damage, and energy drain.

Advancement: By character class.

Level Adjustment: same as base creature +8
-0-

Please point out any obvious flaws and idiotic mistakes.

deuxhero
2009-12-13, 07:17 PM
No, Werewolf doesn't have crippling weaknesses AND an unuseable LA on top of it (just slightly less crippling weaknesses, LA and racial hit dice).

I'd do a were- racial class (ala this vampire one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133025&highlight=vampire)) if you wanted them to be balanced against vampires (and more importantly, player usable).

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-13, 07:25 PM
Well it's not supposed to be playable usable. I tried to make the curse of lycanthropy exactly what is supposed to be. a curse.

Your not supposed to become a bad ass with all these cool superpowers. Your supposed to become an unstoppable force of destruction and a mindless beast.

A person inflicted with lycanthropy should never be able to contend with a vampire. A werewolf, on the other hand, should be a match for one.

deuxhero
2009-12-13, 07:29 PM
... vampirism is also a cruse...

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-13, 07:50 PM
Yes, vampirism is a curse; and if the penalties are enforced correctly, the person afflicted with it becomes an evil, undead, blood thirsty monster. An intelligent monster I'll admit but a monster none-the-less. The curse of vampirism should be useless in the hands of your typical adventurer.

Zaydos
2009-12-14, 10:48 AM
Can't say it's my favorite take on a werewolf (I always liked Rage: the Werewolf Apocalypse's werewolves), but that's personal taste and nothing wrong with it. For the "I am a killing machine out of your worst nightmares" uncontrollable beast werewolf (which is still awesome) it looks like most of the powers are appropriate but:

Abilities: +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis

Why the Dexterity penalty in human form, normally werewolves, even in human form, are more agile than is natural not clumsy.

Lastly can't say I like the pheromones ability since it seems to not fit the mythic "killing machine" werewolf you say you're going for. The rest I'd have to stat out something to test for game balance and I don't have that much time right now. Good luck.

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 11:57 AM
I dunno, aren't the extra HD enough of a boost to make the standard lycanthrope workable?

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-14, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

The pheremones ability doesnt work in hybrid form, if that helps.

and your right, ill remove the dex penalty.

one obvious problem i just noticed was the Hit Points. a werwolf with only one or two hit die will have a really low hit points, even with the considerable bump to hit conscore. less than a monster like that should. Racial Hit Die was something i was hoping to avoid.

any one see a solution?

DracoDei
2009-12-14, 02:44 PM
Use "commoner" hitdice* instead of regular old LA? That tends to solve a lot of problems in my (somewhat limited) experience: Sleep and other things that go by HD to determine what they can effect, too low hit-points, and for things with really high LA, crippled saves.

*Basically give them Poor Save progression and d4 hitdice for the LA.

Also, let me give some links for cross-referencing purposes (I believe in cross referencing... people should tell me if they don't like it).

Norr's Revamped Lycanthropes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89092): Based on Prachett to a large degree.

Lyndworm's Simplified Lycanthropes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89050): Gets rid of racial HD, and sharply reduces LA, allows herbivores, and simplifies a lot of the peripheral mechanics.

A discussion of how to create a setting built around weres that I started. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88923): Includes discussion of alterations to keep LA under control. Part of my basic premise was BUILT around "Always Chaotic Evil" (IE that the alignment of each race of theranthrope was NOT a cultural thing). Some people thought they could make it work without that and explained how they would do so towards the end of the thread. What better way of keeping rodenthropy and actual lycanthopy from EVER becoming epidemics than by inoculating EVERYBODY with some strain of theranthropy?

Zaydos
2009-12-14, 03:07 PM
Up DR /silver in wolf form and regeneration speed. Vampire's also have low hp using instead fast healing and DR to make up for it. A werewolf is normally rather frail to silver while unkillable by anything else but relatively easy when well armed. This might help, but I'm not sure how useful it would be; specifically they'd be melee monsters but relatively vulnerable to spells. Their good con helps their fort save but give them either a racial bonus to Fort saves or Great Fort as a bonus feat and do the same with Will saves. This still leaves them vulnerable, especially to orb spells, but it also puts them more in line with vampires and explains why Dominate gaze doesn't just win.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-14, 03:40 PM
up'd the DR in hybrid form to 10/silver and the regeneration to 5 per round. added great fort and iron will to feats. i think ill take out the SR, as well.