PDA

View Full Version : Bonus damage for Pyro's lash?

Flickerdart
2009-12-13, 08:09 PM
I intend to play a Pyrokineticist (not necessarily the fire version) in an upcoming campaign that starts at 3rd level. However, a notable issue with the class's early portion is that its Fire Lash doesn't have any bonus damage, since it's technically a ranged touch attack and not a for-real whip.

I've decided to focus on SA as my bonus source of damage, entering as a Psychic Rogue 2/SA + Thug Variants Fighter 3 and intending to supplement that with the Weapon Afire ability, and the Swordsage's Assassin's Stance, bringing me up to 10th level with +7d6 behind the whip, and another +10 from Craven. I'm not exactly sure if this is that respectable, however: an average of 39 damage per whip-swing (provided that the target can even be sneak attacked) is outdone even by a TWF Rogue that gets 10d6+20 total bonuses before weapon damage.

Theoretically, I can PA with the lash, right? It's a one-handed weapon so the return is 1:1, but touch attacks are easier to make and I should be able to spare a few points. Is there anything else I can feasibly use? Doesn't have to be SA-related, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to rely on money or having 20 levels in Wizard to pull off.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-13, 08:17 PM
Theoretically, I can PA with the lash, right? It's a one-handed weapon so the return is 1:1, but touch attacks are easier to make and I should be able to spare a few points. Is there anything else I can feasibly use? Doesn't have to be SA-related, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to rely on money or having 20 levels in Wizard to pull off.

Yes because you can PA with a whip (it says any feat that applies to whip).

Flickerdart
2009-12-13, 08:20 PM
Is a 1:1 return worth it, though, even as a Touch attack?

Sucrose
2009-12-13, 08:23 PM
There's no reason (at least from the SRD version that I'm reading) that you couldn't just wield it in two hands, is there?

Myrmex
2009-12-13, 10:07 PM
Is a 1:1 return worth it, though, even as a Touch attack?

Why wouldn't it? Touch attacks are very easy to make.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-14, 03:53 AM

Yes, you could PA with it but after a read through of the ability I'd suggest just taking the TWF line and manifesting two (there's nothing there which would stop you that I noticed).

True, you'll still be a bit behind a TWF Rogue on damage per hit, but you'll be doing touch attacks which may help (warning however, a lot of stuff is immune to either fire or sneak attacks).