PDA

View Full Version : Commoners! (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Gorgondantess
2009-12-13, 09:43 PM
You've spent the past few months in hell.
Sure, you've proven to your superiors that your lives are worth more than the clothes they inhabit, unlike your compatriots. You were taken from the front lines, for a more prestigious position. But at least they could give you some decent furs. The past few weeks you've been going through a forced march north, and every day was colder than the last. Now, standing against the bitter cold just south of the mountains of White Crag, the ancestral home of the elves, you wonder if your fingers will survive the night.
Standing, you watch the battle that is about to come- masses upon writhing masses of conscript armies, tens of thousand, all piecemeal, marching towards the fortifications set out at the base of the mountain. Your job is to light the tower of wood and oil behind you for when the elves move out to engage, so the knights can come in for a flanking position. Until then, any warming fires are forbidden. You pray the moment comes soon, so you can bask in its warmth.
And we've started, on a lighter note. I'd like all of you to post with a character description n'sech, and chatting amongst yourselves is highly encouraged.

Rutskarn
2009-12-13, 09:55 PM
A man squats by his tent, convulsing in private misery, cursing and muttering darkly. He looks like a carnival barker fallen on hard times, his too-thin mustache overgrown with roughness and stubble, his hair cut roughly (as if accustomed to being hidden under a hat).

His shaking fingers shuffle a deck of cards, half idly, half invitingly.

Helinon
2009-12-13, 10:37 PM
A tall half-elf, in a suit of armor most recruits lacked, walks around and does other physical tasks in order to keep himself warm. After about ten minutes he sits down and covers himself in his heavy blanket, thankful for his preparedness. He sits for around 20 minutes before repeating the process again. He looks around for the others who were with him and analyzes them. Those who look closely at him notice that he looks like he has experience in fighting, and has a standard military cut. They also see that he is muscular, which is an odd trait for an elf. His gear is set aside near his bedroll, but he keeps his longsword on his person at all times.

Tyrael
2009-12-14, 12:07 AM
Wrapped in a warm, forest-green winter blanket, a middle-aged man leans against the wooden tower of the signal fire and shivers. A worn battleaxe hangs from his belt, though the lack of notches in its blade indicate that it might be more of a woodcutting tool than anything else. His face tough and worn like old leather, and a single stripe of silver runs through his black hair. The rest of his garb is rather ordinary and rather similar to what most peasant farmers wear: Brown trousers, dusty black boots, a brown tunic. A drawstring sack is slung over his shoulder. The most interesting thing about this otherwise unremarkable fellow is the small wolf cub whose head pokes out of the blanket, staring around with bright, curious eyes that glint in the twilight.

The man's hand scratches his wolf behind the ears absently as he stares out at the horizon, bundled up in his blanket and waiting for night to fall.

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 12:23 AM
The card shuffler glances over at the wolf, drops his cards, and scrambles to his feet.

"Crimony, mate, you want to be getting away from that damn wolf? That ain't a pet dog, you know!"

Tyrael
2009-12-14, 12:38 AM
The silver-striped man looks over at the card shuffler and grants him a quick flash of a smile that vanishes as quickly as it came. "Not quite a pet dog, but not entirely wild either," he explains. "I adopted him from a marketplace where he was caged up, and healed him a bit. He's taken a shine to me. Even though he's still a pup, I'd let him walk around normally, but it's cold tonight. I figured we could share a blanket." He shrugs.

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 12:48 AM
The card man bites his lip.

"Your wolf, huh? I guess...yeah, guess that's alright, and all, but make sure it doesn't kill nothing, alright?"

He pauses, then adds, "Hey, don't suppose you're in the mood for a little cards? Low stakes, just enough to make it interesting. Even play a few warmup rounds for ya, how about that."

Tyrael
2009-12-14, 08:15 AM
"Maybe for just a few coppers," The silver-striped man says guardedly after a moment of reflection. He hunkers down on his haunches in the snow, burrowing his lower face into the blanket and the wolf's fur for warmth. "'m afraid I don't know much in the way of card games," he adds, muffled by the blanket.

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 01:25 PM
The man chuckles.

"Me neither, but what the hell, eh?"

He deals out a hand.

He loses a little more than he wins, and ends up 1 copper in the hole. He shrugs, says, "Guess it's not my day. One last round to get my money back?"

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-14, 02:39 PM
The fat man stand close to the wooden tower, letting it block the wind. His doughy hands alternate between being stuffed under his arms for warmth or holding his nose, in hopes to stave off frostbite. A rapier bangs against his hip and a small shield bounces on his back as he shuffles back and forth trying in vain to stay warm.

He's never been so cold in his life. Surely a small fire wouldn't hurt? He eyes the unlit pyre with covetous eyes. He shakes his head, clearing the thought from his head.

At least he has his bulk to keep him warm. He pats his stomach affectionately. He frowns to himself. With all the marching and counter marching, there's significantly less to pat affectionately than there was just a couple of months ago. If it keeps up he might disappear entirely.

A new thought enters his head. Fire wasn't the only thing that could keep you warm on a night like to night. He searches around looking for a likely target to mooch a bit of the hard stuff off of. The elf! The elves are all lushes aren't they? He takes a few cautious steps forward. "Excuse me my fine featured friend, but you wouldn't happen to have a mite of spirits to fortify a half frozen comrade would you? I'd be much obliged. Nay, eternally grateful. "

Helinon
2009-12-14, 03:00 PM
The elf looks up to the man and gives him a small smile. "Here comrade. You can use my blanket. I'll be fine without is and you could use it more than myself." He then gets up and hands the blanket to the man, the smile still on his face. "Be warned, I would like it back eventually. You understand that don't you?"

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 03:18 PM
Noticing the shivering man, the card player shouts, "Oy! Know what heats the blood up? Friendly card game, that's what. Come on, this one was about to get interesting, wasn't it?"

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-14, 03:29 PM
The fat man smiles broadly.

"You make your intent as clear as crystal." He quickly huddles underneath the blanket. "You my friend are a prince among men." "We the fates half as kind as you I wouldn't be here, and unless I miss my guess neither would you." He extends a pudgy hand. "My name is Brutis Vespasian, of the house Vespasian. And by what name would I address this man before me, the soul of godly charity?"

Vespasian winces at the offer of a card game. "I'm afraid that the game would have to be exceptionally friendly. Given my recent run of luck I'd be without a shirt in no time, at fate that might be death in these climes."

Helinon
2009-12-14, 03:43 PM
Ulfor takes his hand and gives a firm shake. "You may call me Ulfor Proau, and I was actually eager to join. I was a part of the Militia, as an officer, and I trained with the Guard for some time before my recruitment so I knew I would be recruited eventually. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Vespasian's are some of the nobles of Gabinton. How in the world did you end up here? If my question offends you or is a sensitive subject and you do not wish to answer, that is fine too."

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 03:46 PM
The card player shrugs. "Ah, well, perhaps later."

He then turns back to the game in progress. "So. Call it a two-copper ante. You in?"

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-14, 04:09 PM
Vespasian stares at Ulfor in astonishment. The concept that someone would willingly commit themselves to this frigid hell seems an entirely foreign concept.

"See, it's a good thing I didn't place a wager on my guess, or I'd be a poorer man for it. I'm afraid my story is significantly less patriotic than yours. You hit the mark with your assertion, the Vespasians are a Noble house of Gabinton, and at one point I was amongst their number. I had the bad fortune to be caught cuckolding an influential Viscount. He expressed his displeasure by instigating my unlanding and my conscription. You see before you a man of noble countenance and ignoble fate."

He gestures to his pack. "If your a man of letters and would like the full account, I've begun a poignant autobiography. Although I ran out of ink before finishing. Not that more would help, in this weather it's likely to freeze in the well."

Helinon
2009-12-14, 04:23 PM
"I would be honored to read your story as soon as you are finished. For the meantime, let us try to stay warm. I did not know that our first battle would give our enemy such an advantage, with this cold. If our enemies are used to this terrain and weather they will perform much better than our men. For now, we should just be grateful that we won't be in the heavy fighting and we'll soon be warm." Ulfor talks with with the air of a man who has given this fight a great deal of thought and isn't just a mindless fighter.

josh13905
2009-12-14, 04:29 PM
With his back to the group overlooking the landscape stands a thin man, his dark cloak swirling about him from the wind. A black cowboy hat covers his head. Shaking his head he turns back toward the group of watchmen. "Still nothing. No movement from the Elves." The wind comes again without warning, as his hand flies up to hold on his hat. His face was smooth shaven and his eyes closed as the wind scythed through him. For the hundredth time he wished he had a heavier cloak, and for the thousandth time that he hadn't been drafted into the army. He would soon be an old man, and should have been growing old and fat, instead he was marching across the land into winters colder than he had ever known.

Once the wind dies down he walks over towards the others"I'm Charlie, Charlie McNelly." His crossbow swings beside him as he walks, it's handle smooth from hands gripping it.

Helinon
2009-12-14, 04:39 PM
Ulfor looks up when he hears the man introduce himself. "Charlie McNelly? As in the Charlie McNelly who owns The Dragons Drink?"

josh13905
2009-12-14, 04:44 PM
Charlie looks over to Ulfor, "Yeah that's me..." then he recognizes Ulfor, Well, if it isn't Ulfor Proau, I'd say it's too bad you got dragged into this, but from what I caught over the wind you want to be here. You must be crazier than I thought."

Helinon
2009-12-14, 05:02 PM
Ulfor gives Charlie a broad smile. "Well if one has been taught to fight one would jump at the chance to do so. In any case it was inevitable so i figured to make the best of it. How have you been? You look like you've seen better days."

The_JJ
2009-12-14, 05:36 PM
The muscular teen walks back to the camp after a trip behind the bushes. He rubs the fuzzy stubble that is his first beard and then heads over to the card game.

Deal me in. And- he slips a blacksmith's hammer from the front of his vest. we're doing street rules when it comes to dealing with cheats, understood?

So what're we playing? 5 card Tonk?

josh13905
2009-12-14, 05:36 PM
Charlie gave a small smile and sighed, "I'm getting old. I'm afraid that this war might be the end of me." He shivered in the cold, then looked over his shoulder for the elves, seeing nothing he returned his gaze to the group.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-14, 05:44 PM
"It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Mr. McNelly. Any friend of Mr. Prau is a friend of mine." He pauses a hopeful expression on his face. "As a former purveyor of suck things you wouldn't happen to have a spare sip for a parched pallet would you? You must pardon me, the soldier's life has loosened my grasp of good graces. My name is Brutis Vespasian."

Helinon
2009-12-14, 05:49 PM
"Oy!" Ulfor called out to the young man who had just joined the card game, "No violence here! If the elves ambush us here, we're gonna need everyone to fight. I'll let cheating slide here, for lack of better judgment, but how about if you're caught cheating you pay the other members of the game a copper. Sound good?" Ulfor sounds eager to deter violence from happening amongst themselves. Ulfor looks back to Charlie for a moment, "Don't worry my friend, I'll always be there to help you get through it."

josh13905
2009-12-14, 05:52 PM
"Here have a sip o' this." Charlie tosses Brutis a wineskin and turns to the card players, I'm agree, besides I don't want to have to clean up after the lot of you fight."

The_JJ
2009-12-14, 05:58 PM
The teen rolls his eyes. "Sure thing, boss," he accents the last word with the kind of sarcasm only grumpy adolescents adressing authority figures can bring to bear. You even know what street rules for cheating are? It means you pay up, or you throw down. No weapons, stop on a yield. He spits. Wouldn't want to risk denting my hammer on yer thick skull anyway.

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 06:01 PM
The dealer grimaces. "Yeah, I know what the damn street rules are. You think I grew up in a goddamn palace? 5-card tonker, no slides."

(Halfway through the hand, Spanky will cheat.)

Sleight of hand [roll0]

(Well, that's not good. Roll Spot anyway, I guess.)

The_JJ
2009-12-14, 06:09 PM
Spot: [roll0]

Edit: For all his talk the teen is more focused on his hand than the other mans. Tonk! 17, bet you can't get under that.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-14, 09:20 PM
Before Tom can notice Spetner's clumsy cheating, he notices a rustle in the bushes at the bottom of the hill. Narrowing his eyes and hoping to find some kind of easy game, instead there is the audible *twang* of a bowstring, and an arrow comes hurtling out from the foliage, lodging itself in the tower of wood behind you folks. As you all start at the sudden failed assault, some argument and a scuffle can be heard coming from the same direction as the arrow: it is in a foreign language, and Ulfor recognizes it as elvish, but it's a different dialect than he's accustomed to, and that, paired with his little practice in the language and distance from the voices keeps him from picking up anything. Finally, there is some real movement, and 4 elves, bows drawn, spring out of the bushes. All but one in the back have arrows nocked, and they push the one without forwards. He looks abashed, and glares back at them, then back up at you, shouting in thick accented common.

"Ahhhh... that vos a varning sott! Drop your vhepons, or ve vill be force to kill you!"

The_JJ
2009-12-14, 09:27 PM
His back to the elves, Jonathan leans forward and reaches into his workman's vest. I've got a flint in here. Cover my back. Ready? Go! And with that he leaps up and sprints to the pile of wood.

Roll sense motive?

Speaking of languages, do we get bonuses? My charactor ought to at least be fluent in Elvish Swearing and Lectures-On-How-Clumsy-You-Are, strangly relivent...

So that's... standing up, running, pulling out a flint, and trying to light it. What's that mechanically?

Rutskarn
2009-12-14, 09:41 PM
The shuffler flashes his cards. "Got a 21, Double Tonk, pay me later."

Then he raises his hands, turning to the elves.

"Hey, hey, hey, no weapons here. Trust me, I'm not about to die for this goddamn army. We'll just step away quietly and nobody will get--"

Then he notices Jonathan sprinting up the wood.

"Son of a bitch--GET DOWN FROM THERE!" he yells.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-14, 09:43 PM
"Your charity does credit to your nation fellow..." The arrows arrival cuts Brutis off mid praise, he almost drops the wineskin garbing for his sword and shield.

Brutis pauses a second clearly considering the elves offer, before mustering enough bravado to issue is own ultimatum. "We're loyal troops in the service of His Majesty of Gabinton. Surrender and you will be treated with honor and dignity."

((On the off chance that you'll allow an attempt at diplomacy:

[roll0]))

The_JJ
2009-12-14, 09:48 PM
Jonathan hesitates next to the pile, flint in hand... I... er... I... stop! Or I'll light it, and the cavalry will come and run you down!

Bluff...: [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-14, 10:01 PM
As Jon begins to run up the pile, an arrow whizzes by his head, and another one whisked off into the wind. The elf in front shouts "Zat vos anuzzer varning sott! Step down!"
As Brutis begins to blow some wind, the remaining arrowed elf fires, hitting him in the side of the gut. It doesn't penetrate very far... but it hurts.
Jon's words ring clear, and the elves blanch, conversing amongst each other. The talker so far is about to step forwards and say something, when another smacks him on the back of the head with his bow. They continue conversing, and sheathe their weapons, coming closer.
Nearer to you, you can see they aren't much better equipped than you all are. The one in front wears some light cloth armor and a longbow, with a curved sword at his belt and a full quiver. The others have shortbows, one with a dagger, one with a hatchet and the other with a club at their sides, all unarmored, though one with a shield. Most of their fletching looks self-made.
The well armed one speaks, in a less thick accent.
"Vell then... vhat vould you propose ve do?"

Helinon
2009-12-14, 10:07 PM
(Nice roll JJ)
Ulfor draws his sword and examines the situation. "I'd listen to the man. The cavalry will come right up to make sure we're alright and that'll be then end of you."

Aid another in Bluff if possible. [roll0]

EDIT: damn, too late, ignore this post.

Helinon
2009-12-14, 10:13 PM
Ulfor was too startled to even draw his sword and, as luck would have it, he didn't need to. Ulfor then goes over to Brutis and makes sure he's alright. "You okay? Did it pierce your armor?" Ulfor then looks up to the elves. "I would take this man's advice. You're situation is not very good right now. We can rely on reinforcements is a very short time, we have you outnumbered, and some of us have better equipment than you. I would advise you to surrendur. Please trust us to treat you as honorable warriors and not animals. I know all to well the prejudices of people."

Diplomacy (Laced with heaping amounts of common sense) 1d20+3
Roll in OOC thread

Tyrael
2009-12-15, 02:28 AM
The silver-striped man stays silent, having the presence of mind to shove his wolf pup back down into the blanket where he wouldn't be seen and possibly attacked by the elves. Briefly, he glances around the group, wondering, Didn't the king's army post an officer of some sort here with us?

Rutskarn
2009-12-15, 02:53 AM
The card man hesitates, glancing at the poised Jonathan and the injured companion, then quietly steps into the background. This is not a moment to attract attention.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-15, 03:06 PM
"If you continue hostilities, we'll have no choice but to, GAK!" The arrow stops Brutis mid sentence.

Brutis begins to wail and moan like a bad stage actor, cursing the fates for slaying him thusly. A small trickle of begins staining his clothes.

From the look on Brutis' face he's certain that the wound is fatal. "Alas my friend, I have no armor, and the blow is surely fatal. What cruelty is this that I should be dragged to the ends of the earth and gain a bosom companion, only to die before repaying his kindness. If I don't make it through the night, tell my brothers that I cursed them that my last breath was a curse on both their heads."

Helinon
2009-12-15, 03:13 PM
Ulfor looks back down to Brutis and give him a small amused smile. "Their bow must have fired before they wanted. The arrow didn't penetrate that far. I'll give you credit for sounding the part of the fatally wounded." Ulfor then looks around to the rest of the recruits stationed here. "I don't have a good knowledge of medicine or aid, so if anyone has any knowledge whatsoever about injuries, could they help this man?" It is clear that he is also referring to the group of elves who he was trying to convince to surrender.

josh13905
2009-12-15, 04:09 PM
Things had happened fast, a little too fast for Charlie. The arrow whizzing through the air had him spinning around to see the elves moving out of the forest, things continued, and he just held his tongue through out all the conversation. As they lowered their weapons he loaded his behind Jonathan.

All the while his mind raced thinking there were four elves, each with a bow, and yet only one arrow had come through, also they had numbers on their side. If the elves planned on stopping them why didn't all of them shoot? They must have been hoping we'd surrender.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-16, 10:03 PM
The elf furrows his brow. "Vell, ve cannot surrender. It vould compromise our position. And, likely, your superiors vouldn't be so kind as you."
They continue standing around. It looks like they're waiting for something.

The_JJ
2009-12-16, 10:16 PM
Well, we can't surrender to you. So how's this? Jonathan steps down from thhe woodpile and begins walking down the hill. Fisticuffs. Come one, which one of you is brave enough to take me one on one?

Rutskarn
2009-12-16, 10:16 PM
Spanky's having a moral dilemma. As close to one as he ever comes, anyway. On the one hand, he has an obligation not to speak up and get shot. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any real risk here, and this situation should probably deflate before it becomes any more troublesome.

"Card game?" he suggests, shuffling the deck. "Friendly one? No violence involved?"

Helinon
2009-12-16, 10:29 PM
Ulfor sighs when hears Jonathan's instigating remark. "Unfortunately the kid seems like hes got the right idea, however much i would like to disagree with him. One on one fistfights. Four of us versus four of you. Until one side is all unconscious, we keep with the one on one fights. the side that has the last remaining fighters still conscious wins, and the other side backs down. No one gets killed. Or you could retreat, and tell your superiors that an attack here was hopeless with your numbers."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-16, 11:37 PM
The elves look horrified at the suggestion of a fistfight. "Goodness, no! Zhat's barbaric!"
When Spetner makes the suggestion to play a card game, they step aside and converse amongst each other for a few moments. One of them starts complaining, and the armored one smacks him across the head. They walk back. "Vhy, zure! Vhat's de steeks?" Three sit down, gesturing for all of you to join in, while the armored one watches from the side.
Who joins?

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 02:20 AM
Spetner cracks the deck. "Oh, no need for stakes, let's just play a hand to warm up. After that...well, we'll see, won't we?"

Spetner turns to Jonathan and gives him a brittle smile. "Jonathan? You in?"

Tyrael
2009-12-17, 03:31 AM
The silver-striped man hesitates for a moment as Nighteyes squirms in his arms. "Fine, fine," he mutters to the wolf pup as he crouches down and lets the animal onto the snow. Nighteyes shakes himself and pants, then moves a short distance towards the woods, exploring. "Don't go too far," the man calls after him, unsure if the pup would be able to find his way back. The only answer he receives is a pair of yellow lupine eyes staring out of the darkness at him. The man sighs and shakes his head, looking back towards the gathering. I don't really know anything about combat, but these folks don't look to be prepared even to fend off raiders, let alone as an attack force. Still, I've heard all kinds of strange rumors about elves. Still, though...sitting down 'round a game of cards seems friendly enough...

After a moment of indecision, the silver-striped man steps forward into the gathering. "Care to deal me in?" he asks.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-17, 02:22 PM
Brutis still snuffling about his mortal wound sidesteps closer to the armored elf. He keeps his grip on his rapier in case the elves try something.

Something doesn't feel right. Who plays cards to settle a life of death situation. Elves apparently. What's next? Two on two poetry battles? A social snub off?

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 02:44 PM
The card man deals a more-or-less-honest hand. He fudges it on his end so that he loses, but doesn't actually cheat, per se.

"Right," he says, "That was a no-stakes round. How about...an iron ration ante? Keep it light."

josh13905
2009-12-17, 03:53 PM
Charlie watches the elves warily, he was edgy, perhaps the fact that they were prepared to play cards instead of do whatever they were supposed to do, unless they were doing what they were supposed to do. "Oi! don't you know there's a war going on?" He says lowly almost to himself. He slings his crossbow behind his back still ready to grab it. He walks over and retrieves his wineskin from Brutis, taking a drink, then putting it away. Lastly he turns to survey the land warily.

Helinon
2009-12-17, 04:07 PM
Ulfor looks surprised at the elf's remark. "I just though that since we are at war, fighting was the way to go. If we can settle this by playing cards, then lets do that. deal me in" Ulfor sits down next to the man with the cards.

(Think we should make Charisma or Profession: Gambling checks? Highest roll wins the pot and each round of the game lasts 3 combat rounds?)

The_JJ
2009-12-17, 04:35 PM
... alright, I'll play. Jonathan squats on the ground and picks up his hand. Ante up. He keeps his ears open. These guys didn't know he spoke a little Elvish. Maybe they'd be more talkative in their native tongue. Might let him win a few extra hands.

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 04:48 PM
The card man intentionally blows another hand.

"So," he asks the elves conversationally, "How's life in the elf army? You guys any warmer over there?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-17, 05:49 PM
You all play the card game, and have a jolly time. The elves barely understand the rules, but are generally affable. That is, until Charlie decides to get snooty. The bystander elf grabs him by the arm, before he can get much of a look around, and looks genuinely hurt. "Vhy do you haff to be so rude? This game is no fun, you're so rude, you should join us."

The_JJ
2009-12-17, 06:13 PM
Yeah fat man. 'Fraid a losing your money?

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 08:02 PM
"Point of order," says the card player. "Do we even use the same money? I never asked about that one."

He deals another hand.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-17, 08:04 PM
One of the elves shrugs. "Silver es silver." He takes a handful of silver coins from a pouch at his side, grinning. "Raise de steeks?"

Helinon
2009-12-17, 08:13 PM
"Apparently you get paid more than us. I've got nothing like that so I guess I'm out. Good luck with the game." Ulfor gets up and goes over to his gear to check over everything, also making sure that he has his flint. Let's face it, he's got a sword, why would he need steel?

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 08:21 PM
The card dealer grins. "Don't mind if I do, friend."

He puts in a silver piece ante.

He's going to play it straight, so whoever wins, wins.

In the meantime, he strikes up a conversation.

"Seriously, though. How are things over on your side? Pretty damn cold and miserable out here."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-17, 08:27 PM
One of the elves shrug. "Meh. Ve vere forced into ze army, baht it vasn't like ve veren't going to jojn, ennyvais. Eet's goot pay."

josh13905
2009-12-17, 09:11 PM
The elf's remark changes Charlie's mood, despite the cold and the fact they had almost been ambushed, there was some good in all this, he wasn't actually fighting the war. So he sat down beside the card players and said, ""No I wouldn't risk money on cards, but I'll apologize for my mood, if I had my way I wouldn't be in this army." Charlie offers an excuse and tries to ease the tension.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-17, 09:16 PM
You manage to clean the elves out, and Spetner takes the 3 silver. All in all a good game. They take their loss very well, smiling and joking all the while. Sitting to chat a bit longer, finally, once of them gets up, talking nervously. "Vell, it certainly has been fun. But, ve'll be needing to go. Bye!"
And with that, the elves all sprint off, leaving you folks quite confused.
That's when you notice the battle off in the distance, already well under way. The humans are losing.

Helinon
2009-12-17, 09:18 PM
"Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!" Ulfor runs over to the signal fire, taking his flint with him, and attempts to light it as fast as he can.

The_JJ
2009-12-17, 09:20 PM
The teen stands up. Wonderful. You figure if we leg it now we came make it back before their skirmishes start hunting for ransoms?

Helinon
2009-12-17, 09:22 PM
Ulfor keeps focusing on lighting the fire, but calls over to Jonathan, "The cavalry is still ready to attack. If we can call them, we might just win this."

The_JJ
2009-12-17, 09:24 PM
Light it up then.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-17, 09:26 PM
Brutis's pasty features loose even more color. His eyes dart to the nearby woods, contemplating his chances of desertion.

He looks down at his gut. If his superiors catch him he can at least claim that he was wounded in action.

Pacing back and forth nervously he tries to remember anything he can about the elves' treatment of hostages.

josh13905
2009-12-17, 09:28 PM
"Of all the dirty, rotten, scheming..." A impressive string of oaths learned from tending a bar for years fly from Charlie's mouth as he draws his crossbow. "Should we follow them?"

Helinon
2009-12-17, 09:29 PM
"This is their home turf. They know the area better than us. We'd just be walking into an ambush."

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-17, 09:35 PM
Brutis nods, causing his jowls to shake. "I wouldn't know what to do in there. I'd be as useful as a... well an obese city dweller in unfamiliar woods."

He continues shifting back and forth from foot to foot, staring at the battle and willing the humans to do better.

Helinon
2009-12-17, 09:47 PM
"Keep an eye on those woods. Anyone with a bow, get ready. More men might come to attack us."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-17, 11:33 PM
Ulfor manages to light the fires quickly enough, providing precious warmth to the 6 of you, and a few minutes later you see the cavalry charging in. You can't make out much of the details from here, especially with the blaze next to you obscuring your night vision.

Helinon
2009-12-17, 11:36 PM
"Damn it! I can't see now!" Ulfor squints and tries to make out the battlefield.

Spot check [roll0]

Rutskarn
2009-12-17, 11:52 PM
The card man clears his throat.

"Erm. Hi, call me Spanky, by the way. I'm going to make a bold suggestion, here. How about we say we were pinned down by those elves, and we couldn't make it to the battlefield, huh? Sorry, bad luck, maybe next time. I mean, look down there." He points. "Bloody meat grinder. Let's just get out of here now before we get jumped again."

Tyrael
2009-12-18, 05:02 AM
"If it was up to me," the silver-striped man says cautiously, "I'd point out that I don't owe any particular alliegance to an army I've been drafted into. I'm just a farmer. The people down there are trained killers. If it's all the same, I'd rather duck out in the confusion."

Helinon
2009-12-18, 06:45 AM
"And get caught later? You'll be strung up. Besides, they aren't trained killers, they're conscripts like us, and those who are, are my equals. We still have a chance at winning and I'm going to see it through. See if you can find anything to start making barricades with. That way if we are attacked, we'll be protected from their arrows." Ulfor looks around for small fallen trees, large tree branches and other such items to build a small makeshift barricade with.

Rutskarn
2009-12-18, 12:12 PM
Spanky starts helping gather wood, but he's not satisfied.

"Okay, point, but...they're conscript elves. Elves, don't they have a reputation for being instinctively good with a bow and arrow? And a sword? See, I think I could just about instinctively carve my own nose off. Granted, those elves back there were...a little special, but maybe they were just the runoffs, ordered to distract us."

Helinon
2009-12-18, 12:20 PM
"They may have a knack for being able to use them well, but that doesn't mean that they are any better than us. I still say that the best thing to do is to wait for our orders. No doubt our superiors are confused as to why the signal went off late. We should make up a story though. Technically we were attacked, and we could just say that we were in pursuit of the elves and when we gave up searching, we saw the battle and lit the signal."

josh13905
2009-12-18, 03:07 PM
"Just so we all have the same story, we're saying we were ambushed, and then pursued our attackers, until they escaped, then we came back and lit the fire."

Rutskarn
2009-12-18, 04:01 PM
Spanky shakes his head. "No, no, that's no good. This thing was our job, we can't say we abandoned it just to go find some elves. How about...they knocked the lighting person unconscious, then we fought with them, then we won. Naturally, we're going to have to knock someone about the head if we're going to use that excuse."

Helinon
2009-12-18, 04:05 PM
"How bout we left Brutis here? He's injured so it makes sense for him to stay behind and not notice the battle."

Rutskarn
2009-12-18, 09:52 PM
He looks at Brutis, a little surprised.

"What? Somebody's injured? Oh, geez. Uh, okay, I...we can use that. Like, we were attacked, and Brutis here was hit by an arrow. See, if someone's injured, it makes the sustained ambush theory look more credible."

Helinon
2009-12-18, 10:01 PM
"And if we put the barricade up and shoot some arrows into it, it looks like we all took cover behind it when we were ambushed and that explains why no one else got hurt. Brutis was just not fast enough."

The_JJ
2009-12-18, 10:06 PM
Jonathan shifts unconfortably. On the one hand, lying to adults, particularly those in authority positions, came with the age. On the other hand, Elias would not hesitate to beat the living snot out of a 'prentice that would try to pull a fast one like this, and the coppers generally only swallowed 'I didn't see nothing' when it would be too much of a bother to really get the truth out. Sure. We got it lit and they scarpered because we'd done our job and they didn't have any reason to keep shooting us.

Helinon
2009-12-18, 10:14 PM
"Exactly. Its believable enough for right now. Once we got that lit there was no way to put it out. Fighting us would just have been a waste of resources. A few of us could also hide in the woods and wait for our CO to come back and we rush out of the forest and report that we couldn't find the elves."

(I'm done for today. Night all.)

Tyrael
2009-12-18, 11:03 PM
The silver-striped man puts his hands up in mock surrender. "Fine then, fine. When crazy elves start charging up the hill at us, don't say Tom Badgerlock didn't warn you. At least we're warm now."

Tom goes over to the signal fire and holds his hands out, warming himself.

Rutskarn
2009-12-19, 02:26 AM
Spanky hesitates, then gestures towards the bundles of sticks. "Is that really gonna fly? We stop in the middle of a firefight to build barricades...out of sticks? Maybe we should skip that part."

Helinon
2009-12-19, 08:05 AM
"We've been waiting here for awhile. Plenty of time to build a barricade. e built it before we were attacked."

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-19, 10:18 AM
Brutis chews his lip wondering how best to get out of this. "The most important thing is that we all have our story straight. They came out of the woods, every one made it behind cover, except me." Brutis fingers the whole in his tunic. "When the pyre was lit they retreated. Who lit the prye by the way? In our story I mean? We could say that I got shot making a dash to lite it but anyone who hears a tale of bravery with me at the center is bound to know its a falsehood."

Brutis slums down heavily next to the fire. "There's nothing to do now but wait. Unless somebody wants to volunteer to reconnoiter the battle and report back."

Rutskarn
2009-12-19, 11:17 AM
Spanky gestures over to Jonathan. "He seems a likely candidate. Alright, so he ran over there in a hail of arrows and lit the beacon."

Helinon
2009-12-19, 11:27 AM
"Sounds good, and it is technically the truth."

josh13905
2009-12-19, 12:08 PM
"Sounds like a plan, so now we just wait for the CO... ..."

Helinon
2009-12-19, 02:09 PM
"All of this assuming we win." Ulfor responds a little half-heartily.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-19, 11:38 PM
You wait for a while. And then a bit longer.
And some time longer after that.
Dawn breaks, though it does not shatter. The first inklings of light can be seen from the sky other than the stars, and it is all a dark golden color, to help ease the loss of some of the signal fire's brightness: it's now all black, and crumbling. The battlefield in the distance is largely indiscernible, but from what you can make out, still.

Tyrael
2009-12-20, 12:32 AM
Tom is sitting against the trunk of a tree, shivering faintly with his blanket wrapped around him. The wolf pup Nighteyes is curled in his lap, soundly asleep. Tom sighs to himself, staring at the horizon blankly as he continues to wait.

The_JJ
2009-12-20, 11:12 AM
Jonathan stretches himself out.

Come on, no one's come looking for us yet. Let's head down to the battlefield. I understand looting is traditional at this point.

Tyrael
2009-12-20, 01:06 PM
Tom stirs slightly and looks up at Jonathan. "Are you sure? I can't tell if they're still fighting down there still or not."

Rutskarn
2009-12-20, 02:01 PM
"Now's a good time to leg it over the countryside, if we think we've got anywhere to go."

Helinon
2009-12-20, 03:15 PM
Ulfor wakes up at the sound of conversation, having fallen asleep just a few hours ago. "Yeah, lets go. Best that could happen is that we run into some of our superiors and they buy our story. Worst 2 things that could happen, either we lost or our superiors don't buy our story. Equal odds for those." Ulfor then goes to pack up his stuff and strap his buckler to his arm.

josh13905
2009-12-20, 08:25 PM
Charlie slept soundly, justifying at this point if he were to die here on this hill, then he might be better off. When he woke however he looked at the plain, and couldn't make out anything. "Well, looks like we've got some ground pounding."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-20, 09:56 PM
Ulfor and Jonathan (and anyone else who decide to go with them) head off to the battlefield. As they go on, they can begin to discern bits of movement, though it can't be discerned as stragglers or scavengers or what.
As they draw nearer, they reach a dip in the way, then coming to a crest of a hill they get a good look of the battlefield. It's littered with corpses. There are small pockets of fighting, as elves (recognizable at this distance by their silvery-blue, shining armor) on dark steeds circle the battlefield, rounding up and cutting down stragglers.

The_JJ
2009-12-20, 10:09 PM
Well... they had better food than we did. And I speak the tongue. Want to try and defect or just do a runner?

Helinon
2009-12-20, 10:29 PM
"They may not treat me very well. I had to live with being the half human bastard. From what i heard, the elves don't treat my kind much better. Besides, I have family in Gabinton. If the elves win here they could capture my city and who know what would happen to my family then. One thing I'm wondering about, is where in the Nine Hells did those horsemen come from? And those don't look like normal horses."

-Spot check to make out the horses better [roll0]

-Hide check to avoid detection, but i should get pretty high circumstance bonuses to that. [roll1]

-Knowledge Local [roll2]
-knowledge Religion [roll3]
-Knowledge Nature [roll4]
All to identify what the horses might be.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-20, 10:32 PM
Squinting his eyes, he can see that the horses are extremely exotic, and definitely not natural, or even supernatural: likely arcane origins. All the elves he can see are on the horses, and they wield scythes. Every person they kill is a decapitation. IT's more of a slaughter than a battle.

Helinon
2009-12-20, 10:39 PM
"I was right. Those aren't normal horses. They are more like magical, demonic horses. The people on the are probably wizards or something similar to them. The elves are brutal. They are chopping people's heads off without any hint of hesitation! I don't think surrender is an option anymore. We need to run. Now. We need to get to the others and get back to Gabinton to warn everyone. We aren't going to be able to win this fight any longer." After hearing Jonathan's reply, Ulfor then slowly and carefully goes back the way he came and warns everyone,

Rutskarn
2009-12-20, 11:49 PM
Spanky takes about half a second to process this, then picks up his cards and wordlessly packs them away. He then moves about his area, putting his winnings and his small items inside his briefcase.

The_JJ
2009-12-21, 10:21 AM
Jonathat stops to think, loot still on his mind. Actually, I think we should lay low here for a while. Then head out to the supply trains and se what we can scrounge. They're just slaughtering people now, I don't think they'll stick around to have a burial. And I doubt they'll be looking for survivors near the battle site.

Rutskarn
2009-12-21, 01:13 PM
Spanky nods. "Thinking the same thing. Only, we're kind on in the open, here, so let's duck off into the woods, eh? Loiter by the supply trains, dash out, fill our packs up, get a bloody move on. I mean, if it comes to it, friggin cannibalism is a better option than going against whatever super mega shock troopers the elves have got down there."

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 02:45 PM
Tom nods fervently. "Anything that gets us away from those damn elves and out of this cold," he agrees. He glances towards the forest and gives a low whistle. A wolf pup comes promptly trotting out of the treeline and settles by Tom's feet, his tongue lolling as he looks around the group with wide eyes. Tom nods in satisfaction. "Let's go."

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-21, 03:10 PM
Brutis frowns, but refrains from from releasing a renewed litany of sorrow. Instead he sticks out his chin and does his best to deal with the recent bad turn with quiet stoicism.

With a final forlorn glance at the dying fire, he picks up his pack and trudges towards the forest.

Helinon
2009-12-21, 03:22 PM
Ulfor sighs. "I guess we should stay for awhile longer. Many of our comrades had rations on them, so we should get those from them. The only thing that make me uneasy about staying here any longer are those elves we met last night. They could have reported back about us and they may check up here for any survivors."

josh13905
2009-12-21, 03:37 PM
Charlie stands up when Ulfor comes back, he had decided not to go, better to let the trained boy take care of it. Yeah, ducking into the woods sounds like the safest idea for now, maybe look for food, later, and if we finally make it back to Gabinton then maybe I can watch the face of those merchants when we tell them the news, that they got what they deserved.""

Helinon
2009-12-21, 06:31 PM
"I'm going back to get some food from our fallen. Any who want to help, come along. The rest, stay here and try to build up the barricades so if we are attacked before we leave, those demon horses cant get to us." Ulfor then leaves to go back to the battlefield, doing his best to find rations and other items that might and hide himself from sight.

Hide- [roll0]
Move Silently- [roll1]
Search- [roll2]

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 06:37 PM
Tom creeps down silently alongside Ulfor, Nighteyes silently trailing at his heels. Like the other man, Tom quickly searches through the bodies for rations or usable tools. He also keeps an eye out for any armor that's still intact enough to use.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (WOOO Natural 20!)

The_JJ
2009-12-21, 06:47 PM
Jonathan moves towards the battlefield and hovers around an area where the riders have already done their dirty work. He'll first daub some blood onto his shirt, so he can hide himself amongst the dead bodies if it comes to that. Once he thinks the area is clear, he starts for the bodies. His first goal is to go through packs, looking for an extra waterskin or rations. He'll also grab a knife if he sees one. Someone with a winter blanket that isn't too bloody would be nice as well.

Do I spot any wounded?

Taking twenty on the Search check, +1 multiplier. Resting my hopes on the penalty for distracted, far away watchers but...

Spot: I'd take twenty but that's not Jonathan's style. See if it's safe: [roll0]

Hide: [roll1]
Move Silently: [roll2]

It would appear that I tripped and gashed myself, calling out as I did so. (Or some such thing) Will this blend in with the noise of battle? Only time wanting the next episode the DM will tell.

josh13905
2009-12-21, 07:48 PM
This time Charlie goes with the group, slowly searching through the grim carnage, looking for ammo for his crossbow, or perhaps a better crossbow. As well as a winter blanket, or heavier clothes and the all important food. "I suppose that we ended up keeping watch proved very lucky indeed."

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Hide [roll3]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-21, 08:10 PM
Searching a small group of decapitated bodies near your hill, off to the side of the battlefield, you find:

A Bullseye lantern, about half full of oil
Several clubs, pitchforks, flails, handaxes, etcetera
A suit of tattered leather armor
A suit of bloodsoaked padded armor
A bag of caltrops
A box of 4 tindertwigs

All in all, however, there's little to find in the way of food: perhaps one of the wagons littering the battlefield might have something, but in the end all you can find on the bodies near you is a small pouch of nuts, a chunk of bread, and a few long strips of dried meat. Of course, you also manage to find several waterskins, which are icy but still good.

You will definitely be able to find more if you head to the crux of the battle, but if you do so the chances of attracting the attention of one of the horsemen will be much higher.

Helinon
2009-12-21, 08:38 PM
I'll take the tindertwigs and the caltrops. I'm going to search closer to those supply wagons." Ulfor then make his way to the nearest wagon, staying near piles of bodies so that he could hide behind them.

Hide- [roll0]
Search- [roll1]
Move Silently- [roll2]

Edit= NOOOOOOO! :elan: I GOT A 4!

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 08:51 PM
Tom helps himself to the loot, taking a handaxe for his belt as well as the lantern. Finally, he takes a few minutes and tries to don the tattered leather armor. Any armor is better than nothing. Finally, he hands one of the strips of dried meat to Nighteyes, who gnaws on it happily. "Agreed," he says quietly. "Let's branch out a bit more, but stay low."

Suiting action to words, Tom creeps out further into the battlefield, following Ulfor towards the supply wagons. As he does so, his foot catches on the corpse of a man in heavy metal armor. Tom falls awkwardly, the head of his battleaxe clanging loudly against the bloodstained metal. Cursing softly, Tom struggles to his feet and presses onwards furtively.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-21, 09:11 PM
As Tom is trying out the armor- ragged and a poor fit, but it sortof works- Ulfor goes on for a bit, crouching low.
However, as he nears the cart, he loses his balance on an area of the ground, where the snow melted due to a pool of blood then refroze into a sheet of ice and blood. He slips about, making quite a commotion with hands flailing through the air. As he regains his balance, he notices one of the horsemen break off from the rest of the group in the distance, sprinting towards you...
Your leather armor has -1 AC and -1 ACP, and is otherwise normal leather.

josh13905
2009-12-21, 09:12 PM
Charlie dons the Padded Leather continuing on with the group, towards the crux. staying quiet he draws his crossbow and stays crouched. his eyes scanning the ground and in the distance.

I'll make more checks if requested, although Now Armor Check penalty is -3 for medium load.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-21, 09:14 PM
Charlie finishes buckling up the padded armor as the horseman starts coming towards you. Too late, he realizes the armor is still somewhat wet, and cold, and it starts to seep through his clothes, squeezed out due to the commotion.
One of the worst things, in cold times, is to wear wet clothing. Fort save, please.

Helinon
2009-12-21, 09:20 PM
"[Insert long ling of curses here]!" Ulfor then tries to make himself look like a person who was cut down earlier, even if it sacrifices his armor.

Disguise Check: 1d20+1
Depending on the check Ulfor will decide if he could pass as a corpse.

josh13905
2009-12-21, 09:22 PM
Hearing the horse in the distance, Charlie's head swivels to look at the horseman. He dives to the ground, fumbling for his crossbow, he brings it around tracking the horseman with it, preparing to fire if the horseman moves to attack anyone. "Nice and easy, steady, stead... ..."
Assuming hide: [roll0]
Fort Save: [roll1]

Helinon
2009-12-21, 09:30 PM
Ulfor gives up, feeling like it is a futile effort, and takes out his bag of caltrops, waiting for the horse man to get closer.

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 09:46 PM
((Woooo. Now I have 11 AC instead of 10. Woopdeedoo.))

Tom crouches low amidst the bodies. Beside him, Nighteyes gives a puppyish growl that Tom silences with an impatient gesture. Silently readying his battleaxe, Tom crouches behind a pile of 2 corpses and watches warily, his heart in his throat. OhgodsohgodsohgodsI'mgonnadie... he gibbers somewhere in the back of his mind. Nighteyes whines softly as they watch the rider get nearer.

[roll0]

Helinon
2009-12-21, 09:50 PM
"Hey!" Ulfor whispers to Tom. "We need to run. We can't beat this guy. I have some caltrops so his horse won't really be going anywhere. We should be able to make it back to the forest."

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 10:00 PM
Tom freezes, and then slowly glances over his shoulder. A moment passes, and then he nods in understanding. Looping his axe back into his belt, Tom crawls on his belly between the bodies back towards Ulfor.

Helinon
2009-12-21, 10:06 PM
When Tom gets to where Ulfor is he whispers to him "On the count of three run like hell. I'll be right behind you. Ready?"

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 10:08 PM
"Ready!" Tom whispers back. He reaches down and scoops up Nighteyes, knowing the cub's short legs wouldn't be able to keep up with a grown man at full sprint.

The_JJ
2009-12-21, 10:13 PM
Jonathan, who had not pushed forward and had prepared his disguise earlier bellys down amongst the fallen by the hill, trying to find a dry spot.

Those fools are going to die, aren't they? he says to whoever happens to be nearby. What do you think, we run while they're causing us a distraction, or do we wait for the ruckus to die down?

Helinon
2009-12-21, 10:15 PM
"One......Two.....Three!" Ulfor runs like the demons of hell are on his tail, and considering the elves' mounts, maybe they were.

Tyrael
2009-12-21, 10:50 PM
Clutching Nighteyes under his cloak-blanket, Tom sprints out right alongside Ulfor, pumping his legs for all they're worth.

Rutskarn
2009-12-22, 01:58 AM
Spanky is hiding in the woods, somewhat near Jonathan.

He turns to Jonathan. "Huh. I was starting to like those guys."

Then he starts running through the woods, vaguely towards home.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 02:53 AM
You all run off into the woods, and with demonic speed the scythe- wielding demon elf is right on your tail, ignoring difficult terrain and indeed Ulfor's caltrops- too late, though, as you manage to make your way into the trees before it can kill any of you. Nevertheless, it got close. Very, very close, enough that you are able to make it out. The rider is in fine, silvery banded mail, which makes smooth, metallic sliding noises with each gallop, though no clanging: it's all very well put together. The face is obscured by a dark hood, so no gender can be determined. The horse moves like no horse you've seen, but otherwise looks somewhat normal: nevertheless, its coloration is unnatural, black with grey stripes on a shaggy coat, the mane, tail and fur around the hooves orange and red and white, giving it the appearance of flames.
The woods are dark, and thick, and footing is treacherous: the elvish reaper is forced to dismount its horse before continuing after you. As you dash through the brush, you can barely make out behind you the soft, metallic rustle of the movement of the mail, smooth, rhythmical, calm and effortless. Your pursuer is obviously very collected and detached.
I'm assuming all of you decided to run into the trees. If not A: say so, and tell me what you're doing instead, and B: you're either very smart or very dumb.

Tyrael
2009-12-22, 04:15 AM
Tom continues fleeing through the forest as he hears the elven pursuer patiently stalking them. His mind is filled with all sorts of gruesome imaginings of what will happen if this trained elven killer catches them.

Helinon
2009-12-22, 07:06 AM
Ulfor keeps running through the trees, not even looking back, for fear that he would lose his footing.

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 11:55 AM
Jonathan lies among the bodies, watching the reaper dismount and disappear into the woods. After a few moments hesitation, he strikes out after them.

I did not go to the center of the battlefield and pulled the whole 'dead body' schtick when they got spotted. Now I'll be following the elf into the forest, so I can provide backup. And steal his horse, if I can. :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-12-22, 01:50 PM
If I hear people running generally close to me, I'll slow my pace a little, trying to keep them close enough that I can find them again and far enough away that if they get attacked, I can still escape.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-22, 02:13 PM
Brutis runs through the woods fleeing the elven warrior. He gasps for air to fill his lungs sucking in large amounts of the frigid air and exhaling huge clouds of vapor. Despite the cold exertion and fear cause sweat to bead on his brow.

As he rushes through the woods he briefly considers trying to climb a tree to escape pursuit but realizes the endeavor is doomed to failure. He stumbles on doing his best to stay close to the others.

josh13905
2009-12-22, 04:30 PM
Charlie crashes through the forest, keeping his crossbow in hand tearing through the underbrush. Looking to his side he notices his companions running as well. He runs and runs.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 05:54 PM
Note: the woods are quite a ways away from the battlefield.
I assumed that you, JJ, would be off into the woods right away, not hiding amongst the bodies. That changes everything.
You all run into the forest, stumbling through the thick trees. It gets foggy very quickly, and the density of the air muffles noises. You've quite lost the reaper.
All but Jonathan, that is.
He hears the rustle of the mail end near him, and he knows it's stopped right next to him.
Then, it rustles again, and you can hear some muttering from above.
You've won initiative. The others are gone. You're also likely going to die, but now you've assured their escape.

Helinon
2009-12-22, 05:59 PM
ULfor runs until he is out of breath. He then Gets into a defensive position while he catches his breath. Sensing nothing he relaxes and wonders where the others are. "Damn it. I need to find them." Ulfor will continue on while looking for the rest of his comrades.

-Spot: [roll0]
-Listen: [roll1]
To see if he can find any of the others.

-Survival: [roll2]
To find dry wood, some food and water, shelter, and the way back to Gabinton.

(Don't give up! Fight him to you're last breath! If you are very, very lucky you may win!)

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 06:03 PM
ooc- Did I find his horse? Cause I'm thinking of going the 'bat**** crazy' route. :smallbiggrin: Might as well die well, eh?

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 06:09 PM
OOC- what do you mean find his horse? You're lying at the outskirts of the battlefield, face down- you can't see anything, but you can hear it next to you- about a mile from the signal fire area, and another quarter mile from the woods.
All of the others are already almost there.

Rutskarn
2009-12-22, 06:11 PM
Once they're far enough from the battlefield, Spanky yells, "Oy! You out there? Hello!"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 06:25 PM
The rest of you (except for Schrodinger's Jonathan, who either is or isn't dead, but it's irrelevant because if he isn't he's not deep enough in the forest yet, or not in the forest at all) can hear Spanky's words very faintly through the forest, but his voice is distorted enough it is unrecognizable as him. Even Spanky is surprised at the way his voice sounds coming out of his mouth.

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 06:27 PM
I see. Okay. My bad. Let's see... I'll take piteous moan for two hundred please.

I figured I'd let the others get chased into the woods and then follow them in. I was going off that as the... whatever. I'm screwed. I'll deal... some how.

Any other survivors make it to the forest?

Jonathan rolls over. Uhhh... water... please.

Bluff: [roll0]
Preparing action to roll over and clock this guy over the head.
Attack: [roll1] Roll+STR+Trained in war
Damage: [roll2] Roll+STR (One handing I guess, so just STR.)

Helinon
2009-12-22, 06:29 PM
Ulfor hears the voice and figures that it can only be one of his comrades who would be yelling. Ulfor takes in a deep breath and yells as loud and for as long as he can, "Hello???? Who's that?"

Con check to try to make myself audible. [roll0]

Survival to try to figure out where the sound is coming from, or substitute this as Listen. [roll1]

Tyrael
2009-12-22, 06:35 PM
Tom stops for a moment, [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 06:43 PM
Jonathan:
As Jonathan opens his eyes, he finds the elvish Reaper atop its horse, scythe raised for a strike. Before he can speak, it swings down, striking him in the shoulder, cleaving easily into his ribs. He knows if it weren't for the awkward position of hacking into a body on the ground, he'd be dead right now.
In a reflexive motion he swings up to hit the assailant, and manages to catch the reaper on the arm. It loses grip of the scythe for a moment, fumbling, and the horse steps back a bit. Finally, as you are getting up, it rears into the air, as the reaper holds its scythe aloft.
Your move.
Okay, I'll tell you now: you run flat out, you're dead. You fight back, you're likely dead. You're amongst some bodies. Within a move action, you can get to
The wagon
Some bushes
The bottom of a hill
A snow drift
Figure it out. You have a chance.

The rest of the group:
You all hear Ulfor's shout, though it's difficult to discern where it's coming from. Tom can hear noises around him, and shouting, but ditto.
Survival to determine where a noise is coming from.

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 06:54 PM
Snow drift would slow the horse down, but not be a whole lot better for me...

Bushes seem stupid. More of an impediment to me than him, though if they're really think I could hide and try to double back.

If it's steep enough the horse would have trouble negotiating the hill... plus a little extra angle for him swinging.

Wagon seems... wait, didn't they go off and aggro this guy because we couldn't find any wagons? Whatever. It sould be a temporary refugue, but a bit like putting off the inevitable.

1 it's the snowbank, 2 the bottom of the hill. [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-22, 06:56 PM
Does he do anything at the snowbank, or just stand and look stupid?

Rutskarn
2009-12-22, 07:02 PM
Spanky doesn't bother searching for Ulfor. Instead, he yells,

"It's Spanky, goddamn it! Come on, let's stick together!"

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 07:02 PM
Jonathan breaks for the snowbank and tries to push in. With any luck the metal horse would flounder up to it's neck and get stuck. If it didn't he'd have a soft landing to throw himself onto if the scythe came swinging. If it did he could wallow his way to a desent lead and then, once the horse was well into it, make a break back to the forest. It might earn him some time.

Helinon
2009-12-22, 07:03 PM
Listen check: [roll0]
Ulfor attempts to make out what is said by what he assumes is one of his comrades.

josh13905
2009-12-22, 09:30 PM
Charlie stops panting, then listens carefully hearing voices in one direction, remembering there was only one rider, he moves slowly towards the sounds.

[roll0] Listen
[roll1] Survival

Gorgondantess
2009-12-24, 03:26 AM
Everyone Else: After much shouting and stumbling, you eventually manage to find each other. If you had been chased it would've likely been a harrowing task, but as you had all the time in the world, it all worked out okay.
Of course, then there's the missing 6th member of your group.

Missing 6th member of the group:
You dive into the snow drift, to find it goes much deeper than you suspected- indeed, you fall through, down about ten feet into a pocket of air in the snow, a small, rocky cavern almost. You find a gust of warm air blowing from the side of the cavern, and see that there's a large, jagged crack in the ground near you- large enough you might be able to squeeze into. Maybe. Otherwise, there's nowhere to go but up- and up a scythe is cleaving through the snow, copious amounts of it dropping heavily on your head.

Helinon
2009-12-24, 08:23 AM
"Jonathan must have gotten caught. We can't do anything for him now. If he was caught let's just hope he was taken prisoner and can escape." Ulfor looks very depressed, probably because there is no choice but to leave Jonathan behind.

Rutskarn
2009-12-24, 12:41 PM
Spanky shakes himself, a live wire of adrenaline, and gestures out into the woods.

"Yeah, tragedy, we'll mourn for him, but we're gonna be mourning for us unless we get moving!"

Tyrael
2009-12-24, 12:54 PM
"Nobody else wander off," Tom adds. "We need to stick together out here, and we need to decide where we're going next."

josh13905
2009-12-24, 01:04 PM
He doesn't want to leave Jonathan behind, but forced to agree Charlie nods his head. "Yeah, we better get moving now."

Rutskarn
2009-12-24, 01:24 PM
Spanky glances about anxiously.

"Look, guys, we're heading back to the city, right? I sure as hell dont know where else we'd be going. Let's just get out as far as we can, the break camp and try to get a fire going, alright? Once we get far enough into the woods, all we gotta worry about is surviving this freezing cold weather."

Tyrael
2009-12-24, 01:30 PM
Tom shivers. "Brrr. Got that right. Let's get moving."

Helinon
2009-12-24, 02:03 PM
"Let's go then." Ulfor gets up with a stern look on his face.

Ulfor will attempt to forage for his own food during this time. Assuming that the path we take will be more than a day, I'll roll one survival roll per day. This is only enough for the equivalent of one trail rations for one person.
Day one - Food(10)- [/roll]1d20+1
Lost?(15)- 1d20+1
Fortitude(15)- 1d20+1
Weather(15)- 1d20+1

Day two -Food(10)- 1d20+1
Lost?(15)- 1d20+1
Fortitude(15)- 1d20+1
Weather(15)- 1d20+1

Day three- Food(10)- 1d20+1
Lost?(15)- 1d20+1
Fortitude(15)- 1d20+1
Weather(15)- 1d20+1[roll]
:smallsigh: well off to the OC to roll then.

The_JJ
2009-12-24, 02:04 PM
Jonathan forces his thick frame into the crack, cursing his master's strenuous strength building exercises.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-24, 02:46 PM
Everyone Else:
Despite Ulfor's premature attempts, you have no idea where you are, or how to get out. Trees press close to you in all directions, and the fog is cloyingly thick- you can barely see 5' out.
To top it all off, you start hearing things.

Jonathan:
Scrambling through the vent, it's a close call, and you end up with several gashes and very torn clothes from the closeness of the rock, but you manage to crawl through at a decent pace. You can hear movement behind you, and it only hastens your flight, into the darkness. You feel wet, and hot, unsure if it's the adrenaline and blood pumping, or hypothermia, or if it's just getting hot in here, when suddenly the rock drops out from in front of you, and you start falling.
With a splash, you end up in a natural hotsprings- what's creating the steam. Of course, most hot springs aren't that nice- indeed, this one is scalding, and you scramble out as your skin begins to burn. You avoid any severe damage, but your skin'll be red and patchy for the next few days.
Laying on a rock bank by the spring, you begin to relax in its warmth, listening to the water droplets from above plunking into the water, and watching the steam rise from below. Everything is illuminated by a soft, dim glow... you can't see very far, but what you can see is very nice.
Suddenly, a thick fog, or smoke, or somesuch spills out from the crack above and onto the spring...
Around you are a couple of small tunnels you might be able to go through, one smooth and somewhat thinner to the right, and the other thicker, but more jagged walls.

josh13905
2009-12-24, 03:44 PM
Charlie sweeps the forest as he walks with his crossbow. He shivers in the cold, "Well, at least we don't have those elves on our tails." Charlie's hope of returning home was beginning to lessen, it wasn't looking good. But he pushed forward through the brush, and the cold.

Helinon
2009-12-24, 04:12 PM
"Ill get a fire going. Here is as good a place as any to camp. Plus maybe the fire will scare whatever is making those noises away." Ulfor goes to gather some wood dry enough to make a fire, always staying within sight of the group.

Rutskarn
2009-12-24, 04:41 PM
Spanky sits down, glancing anxiously about the woods. His hand slips down to his boot, and he pulls out a thin, cheap-looking flick knife. He rubs its well-worn handle calmingly.

The_JJ
2009-12-24, 05:03 PM
Jonathan catches his breath and rests. He takes a quick pull from his waterskin and sorts out a handful of the most perishable food he has on himself, and downs it. Then, as the fog rolls in he stands, and thinks in his fugue state it's like a fairy tale. But bread crumbs are for to precious to waste. He pulls a chisel from a tattered front pocket and starts along the smooth path, making marks on the wall as he goes.

Tyrael
2009-12-24, 05:49 PM
Tom shivers, keeping Nighteyes tucked within his warm blanket. The little cub was only too happy to comply, snuggling down against the bitter winter cold. As the party stops to rest, Tom plunks himself down on the log, his fingers idly scratching the wolf's ears.

"We're stopping for the night, then?" He asks in to nobody in particular.

Rutskarn
2009-12-25, 11:31 AM
Spanky shrugs.

"It's getting late, and we're tired. I'd say yes."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-26, 07:31 PM
Jonathan:
As you begin to start down along the path, you hear a wooshing behind you. Looking back, you see the fog begin to coalesce, and form a humanoid shape... holding a scythe. In an instant, it turns back into the elf, and it swings down its weapon- too late, scraping against the ground where your legs were. You scramble into the hole, chisel forgotten, and barrel down as quickly as you can, as it starts to descend... and finally, you fall down, into a cavern below. You can hear the rustling of the mail behind you: there's still some light here, but the cavern continues into the blackness.
Everyone else:
You bed down uncomfortably in the thick trees, unable to find a sizable spot that doesn't have some sort of gnarly root sticking into your back- indeed, you're unable to find a spot where all of you can lay down, all the way down on the ground, within a small vicinity- most of you are resigned to sitting with your back against a tree.
The underbrush is all moist, and the branches on the trees lively, and it's nearly impossible to get a fire going until Ulfor manages to find some dry moss: even then, with the foggy air, it's a pitiful thing, and it dies out before you all fall asleep. Nevertheless, you manage to get some rest.
Waking up in the morning, all is the same: with the thick fog in the air, it's impossible to tell the time of day. Still, things are a bit more peaceful now, and Tom manages to hear running water in the distance.

Tyrael
2009-12-26, 10:15 PM
The farmer raises his head and sniffs the air as, beneath the blanket, Nighteyes' ears perk up. Water. The two of them share a knowing glance before Tom reports their conclusion to the rest of the group. "There's flowing water somewhere nearby," he announces. "Streams often lead to rivers, and most rivers tend to have villages or towns somewhere alongside it to take advantage of the water supply. If we can just follow the water, we'll be on the right track."

Helinon
2009-12-26, 10:41 PM
Ulfor wakes up just after Tom, and when the farmer comes back with his report of water, he replies in an eager tone, "Excellent! Do you know which direction it is? Could you tell?"

Tyrael
2009-12-27, 03:11 AM
Tom exchanges a puzzled glance with Nighteyes, then frowns to himself, listening intently.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-27, 03:19 AM
Tom is rather easily able to discern the location of the running water. It's a mere 20 yards to... well, whatever direction from the camp, and it's a pitiful little stream, about 2-3 feet wide wending between the trees in a rocky bed, but it's a stream nevertheless, and the water is clear and cold.
If you decide to travel along it, do you go up or downstream?

josh13905
2009-12-27, 08:48 AM
Charlie looks at the small stream, maybe things were looking up for them. My vote's downstream, perhaps it'll lead to a lake, and even if there isn't a town, there'll probably be more animals to hunt.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-27, 01:27 PM
Brutis wakes up and lets out a small moan. He's complained about beds being hard as a rock, but it's nothing compared to actually sleeping on rocks. He manages to heft his bulk up with a groan of effort.

"A town might not be the best idea. It could be in elven hands, and even if it's not they probably aren't going to willing hand out food to the likes of us. The hand full of us could play at brigands but if the local farmers decide their corps are worth a fight..." He spreads out his hands as if to explain the rest of his thought.

"Our best bet might be to try and make for wherever the army is going to fall back to and attempt to meet up with them there."

Rutskarn
2009-12-27, 02:42 PM
Spanky shakes his head.

"Okay, I thought we were on board with the whole screw the army business? I say we head downstream."

Tyrael
2009-12-27, 03:24 PM
Tom nods. "Agreed. I've really got no reason to go crawling back to the army. If we find a town, we can simply find work there as well. I'm good with animals, so I could just hire out as a stablehand. I'm really in no hurry to put myself back in danger anytime soon."

"Besides," he points out, "so what if it's in elven hands? The army never gave us a uniform. How would they know we were conscripts? I'm pretty sure even elves wouldn't kill every human traveler they see."

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-27, 03:49 PM
"Have you no patriotism? No sense of duty? No honor?" Brutis continues not wanting to hear their answers.

"I wouldn't be to sure about the kindness of elves. Those demons on horseback we're cutting down the wounded. Hardly the act of charitable hearts."

Tyrael
2009-12-27, 04:22 PM
Tom shrugs. "They were soldiers on a battlefield," he points out. "War is no place for the charitable, but mayhap a town is. I'm just a farmer, all I want is for all this war and death to go away and leave me alone, thank you very much."

josh13905
2009-12-27, 06:52 PM
Brutis' statement put's Charlie over the edge, he whips around, "Honor? Duty? These rich merchants use the poor for their gain. They take sons from mothers, and husbands from their wives, all so they can make more money. The garden of the rich is watered with the blood of the poor. So when you ask me where mine duty lies? I answer, to myself, not some wealthy nobleman, or some rich trader. Not to any king nor any queen, but to myself, and myself alone." The words come out stinging directed not at Brutis, but to the world.

Tyrael
2009-12-27, 08:42 PM
Nighteyes wags his tail in silent assent as Tom finds himself nodding slowly. They both remain silent, cautiously watching Brutis.

Rutskarn
2009-12-27, 09:17 PM
Spanky shuffles his feet anxiously. "Look, bottom line, I'm extremely loyal. I will pledge my lifelong support to any nation with a liberal conception idea of what my lifetime should be. Let's survive, okay? And speaking of survival, it's cold out here and we don't have much food."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 01:20 AM
Okay, then...
You all head downstream, through the fog. It's difficult on the wending path, but you manage a decent clip, after a while. And soon enough, the forest starts clearing, and the stream gets wider, and eventually it comes to a large-ish clearing, where the stream deposits into a little crescent shaped lake around a landmass. As you approach the clearing, you see some run-down buildings in the clearing, as well as the glow of a fire piercing through the fog, and whistling coming from the same direction.

josh13905
2009-12-28, 08:48 AM
Charlie moves along the way without a word. Then upon sighting the camp he says, "Do you think we should try to go around or investigate?"

Rutskarn
2009-12-28, 02:08 PM
Spanky suddenly looks a bit hesitant. "Er...maybe, like, send one person ahead just to get a look at things before we all jog into main square, eh?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 02:18 PM
Suddenly, there is a flurry of audible movement near the fire, of someone getting up. "You! Out there! Er... all of you! Come join me by this fire! It's good wolf! Refuse me, and... I blow your f**king brain out! Er... Brains!"

Tyrael
2009-12-28, 03:05 PM
Tom hesitates. Something about the way the voice said "it's good wolf" makes him think the worst. Getting down on one knee, he mutters to Nighteyes, "Try to hang back from this one for a bit, cub. I'll bring you some meat later." He scratches the wolf's ruff, and then stands back up as the small wolf trots off and vanishes into the foggy forest, though Tom can still feel his eyes on him.

Standing back up, Tom walks towards the fire slowly, his hands held nonthreateningly out at his sides. "Ho there!" he calls out as he approaches, pitching his voice to carry through the fog. "Well met! The road's been long, and any fire is welcome."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 03:15 PM
As you approach, the fog clears to reveal a haggard looking half elf, wearing a fine rust colored silk coat over a shirt of green, now somewhat tattered. He might have once been attractive, but stubble is growing on his chin, and it's obvious he hasn't been through the best of times. In his hand he carries a flintlock pistol.
He sits in front of a fire, above which there is a crackling carcass on a spit, dribbling juices to feed the flame below it. He turns it from time to time, and takes a dagger and slices of a glistening, greasy strip. "Tell your friends to come here too, don't be strangers, we're all friends here in the Forest Prince's village."

Tyrael
2009-12-28, 03:33 PM
Tom eyes the pistol warily. Still keeping an eye on it, he calls to the group, "Come on out, fellows! He's...friendly!"

Cautiously taking a seat, Tom asks, "Who's the Forest Prince?"

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-28, 03:39 PM
Brutis' stomach rumbles at the smell and sight of food. Caution be damned, he was hungry. He stumbles out of the forest towards the fire.

"You sir are a godsend. I give thanks for your hospitality from the very pit of my..." Brutis' stomach rumbles audibly. "Ah, from the very pit of my soul. I am Brutis Vespasian and these are my, er, traveling companions. May a humble traveler inquire as to the name of his host?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 03:46 PM
The man grunts at Tom's words as he slurps down his strip of meat, grease glistening on his fingers. "Oh, yes, Prince of the Forest, lives in a tree just a mile shy east of here, fine fellow, lovely conversationalist.
My name? I'm... James. Tarth. Yes..." He still holds his flintlock in one hand, and he passes his knife along to Tom.

Helinon
2009-12-28, 04:19 PM
[sorry for the lack of posts, i've been gone for the past day. Sorry i didn't give warning.]

Ulfor eyes 'James' suspiciously, but does sit down near the fire. He then asks 'James' question he hopes he doesn't know the question to. "So where are we? we've been lost in the forest for awhile."

Sense Motive (As if you need to ask why)- [roll0]

Rutskarn
2009-12-28, 05:51 PM
Spanky's just going to smile, eat, and shuffle his cards for now.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 05:58 PM
James stares at Ulfor a while. "Ah. The village? The forest? Here?"

The_JJ
2009-12-28, 06:52 PM
Jonathan presses forward. It's not like he had much choice. Oh, he could turn and face the foe, any fool trying to use a scythe in a tight space like this back in the city would get a beating they deserved. But... the damn thing could turn into fog.

Operating on the assumption that the tunnel was man made and presumably lead somewhere, the blacksmith's 'prentice stumbles on through the dark. It had to give up eventually. If you could turn to fog at a whim would you waste your time folling some luckless fool through (seemingly) endless tunnels?

Not unless a voice said in the back of his head you really like killing. Somehow, Jonathan picked up speed.

josh13905
2009-12-28, 07:07 PM
Charlie hesitates, then covers his weapon with his cloak. Walking over to the Half-Elf, he nods his thanks and sits down, eating slowly.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 07:27 PM
Jonathan stumbles through the inky blackness. Soon enough he can hear the ominous steps of lightly mailed boots behind him, slow, methodical, and patient. He repeatedly bumps into walls, trips over rocks, falls over: in the blackness, all he can do to ease his way is feel. And the steps continue unhindered, growing louder and louder.
Finally, Jonathan sees, off in the distance... light! And a straight path to it. He sprints, fullspeed down the path to the light. Still, his way is not illumed, and as he goes he hits a rock, badly twisting his ankle. And the steps are coming closer. Blubbering, knowing the light was so close, he crawls on to the light, as the steps become louder, and louder, then stop. Looking back, but knowing he can see nothing, Jonathan hears the swinging of a blade through the air, then feels a sharp pain on his neck, and all is black.
Jonathan is dead. I hope this serves as a reminder to you all: that you are miserable ants in an uncaring world.
JJ, I have some reserves who will be introduced to the game sometime, so you can roll up another character if you'd like.
If not, sorry it couldn't work out.:smallsmile:

Everyone Else:
James nods at Charlie's thanks, stripping off chunks of the wolf and eating in silence. He pulls a wineskin from under a pile of snow behind him, and drinks deeply. It's only then you notice a pile of emptied wineskins off to the side, all quite empty. He seems happy just to have people around him.

Helinon
2009-12-28, 08:07 PM
Ulfor smiles at the response, glad that the man seems to be non-hostile and not likely to become hostile. Ulfor accepts the food and eats a small amount before asking, "To my previous question, do you know if we are in elven lands or human lands? This would help us a great deal."
Diplomacy, if needed: [roll0]

josh13905
2009-12-29, 08:35 AM
Noticing the wineskins, Charlie becomes worried, why and how would a traveler come to have all those... "Pray tell Friend, how did you chance upon so much provisions? For it seems luck would be on your side this noonday."

Gather Information: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

Tyrael
2009-12-30, 12:51 AM
Tom stares at the seared wolf carcass over the fire, and then wordlessly passes the meat knife on to someone else. The dead animal is an all-too-real reminder of what most civilized folks would think about his bond with Nighteyes. He suppresses an ominous shiver and tries to appear casual as he follows up Charlie's question by asking, "Are you a hunter of some kind?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-30, 12:54 AM
James giggles. "We're in the land of The Forest Prince, I told you already. And he keeps some fine vintage in his basement. Though I'm going through the swill first. Best for getting buzzed." He giggles again.
"Me? Hunter? Noooo. But I have a gun, so when the wolves came sniffing... I killed one. Good meat."

Tyrael
2009-12-30, 01:40 AM
Tom ignores that last part. "Who's the Forest Prince?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-30, 01:43 AM
"The Prince of the Forest."

Tyrael
2009-12-30, 04:46 AM
Tom resists the urge to facepalm.

"Could you tell us about him?"

Helinon
2009-12-30, 11:02 AM
Ulfor stops trying to ask questions, seeing as this man obviously is either messing around with them, or those truly are the only answers he has. Instead he relaxes slightly and eats more, absorbing more of his surroundings.
Spot- [roll0]

Rutskarn
2009-12-31, 12:05 PM
Spanky clears his throat, raising a finger. "Hey, pertinent detail. This is maybe gonna sound like a stupid question, considering, but this prince of the forest, he's not...partisan, is he? He's not with the elves?"

Gorgondantess
2009-12-31, 03:53 PM
James, answering both Spanky and Tom's questions: "Well... he's a prince. Of this forest."

Ulfor can find several dilapidated houses through the fog: they look long abandoned. This was likely a small village once.

Helinon
2009-12-31, 06:37 PM
"Is there a name for this forest? It seems large enough for this prince to have given it a name."

Gorgondantess
2009-12-31, 07:03 PM
"Well, it's the forest of The Forest Prince."

Helinon
2009-12-31, 07:11 PM
"I should have guessed as much. Well do you know why the town there is all deserted? Did the town hit hard times or did they all just decide to move?"

Tyrael
2009-12-31, 09:02 PM
Tom gives up the Forest Prince line of questioning as hopeless and sits silently at the fire, listening to the discussion.

Gorgondantess
2010-01-01, 12:19 AM
"Whuh? No. No, I have no idea. But you could ask the Forest Prince."

Helinon
2010-01-01, 01:47 AM
"Could you take us to him so that we may have an audience? Seeing as these are his lands, maybe he can help us return to ours."

josh13905
2010-01-01, 08:49 AM
The conversation wasn't going anywhere, although perhaps if he knew where the forest prince was they could find him and get some answers. But even so far this man had seemed crazy, and it seemed unlikely that he'd know anything useful. Charlie still listens intently.

Gorgondantess
2010-01-01, 03:27 PM
"Shucks, no, Forest Prince's free to visit. He's just about a mile..." And here he getsw up, waving around, "That way," Pointing in one direction. "Largest tree in the forest, ya can't miss it."

Rutskarn
2010-01-02, 01:46 AM
Spanky stood up, smiling weakly. "Thanks, that's, uh, thanks. We'll just go then. Let's just get going."

Tyrael
2010-01-02, 04:19 AM
Tom eyes the carcass again warily, and stands up to leave with everyone else.

Helinon
2010-01-02, 09:30 AM
"Thank you for your hospitality." Ulfor then gets up to leave.

josh13905
2010-01-02, 12:14 PM
Charlie nods his thanks, then gets up and walks with the others. "To the Forest Prince then?"

Gorgondantess
2010-01-02, 02:20 PM
James waves as you take off through the forest. You trudge about for 15 minutes or so, and you're about to think you've been given bad directions, when you see what is, likely, The Forest Prince's tree. And it's not necessarily what you expected.
The tree is massive, over 50 feet in diameter, but blackened and withered, covered in horny knobs and tumors. It reaches high into the air, with leafless branches poking out. Over the base is a long dead, dessicated fleshy growth, that reaches all around the base and about 50 feet in the air: it's a pinkish green color, now crumbling from age. It reeks of rot and salt.
There's an entrance to the tree that the growth does not cover: inside smells of moss, and leads to a round room with a circular staircase, going up and up, into the blackness: there are no windows, let alone sources of light.

Helinon
2010-01-02, 03:06 PM
Ulfor sees the tree and immediately thinks back to the elves on the battlefield. "Be alert. This Prince may be in league with the elves, or may be an evil spellcaster. Probably both. Unfortunately we will have to hope for the best. We need to figure out how to get home. I'll go first." Even while saying this Ulfor cannot suppress a deep feeling of unease as he enters the tree.

Rutskarn
2010-01-03, 01:14 AM
Spanky hangs back, waiting to see what happens.

Gorgondantess
2010-01-03, 01:20 AM
As Ulfor enters, and mounts the stairs, suddenly
nothing in particular happens. He heads up, and the further he goes the darker it gets. It continues up into inky blackness: the stairs have no railing, and he could possibly hurt himself if he isn't careful... and considering how tall the stairwell is, a fall could be lethal.

Tyrael
2010-01-03, 05:01 AM
Nighteyes whines uneasily from a nearby undergrowth. Tom nods. "I know what you mean, cub," he mutters. "I don't like it either. It's like everything died around it."

Unwillingly, he asks, "You think we should go in?" The small wolf cub sits down firmly and sneezes negatively. Tom nods again. "Yeah, me neither." Idly, he reaches down and scratches the creature's ears, waiting patiently either for Ulfor to come out or to hear a grisly death scream.

Helinon
2010-01-03, 09:37 AM
Ulfor tells the others what he sees and then continues up the stairs, hugging the wall, .

Do i need a reflex save or a dexterity check? Any roll at all?

Thatguyoverther
2010-01-03, 02:13 PM
Brutis shifts from foot to foot shewing his lip and waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. More to hear his own voice than offer any real assistance he calls out to Ulfor, "Be careful, it's darker than the abyss in there."

josh13905
2010-01-03, 09:35 PM
Charlie waits at the bottom of the stairs, expecting word from Ulfor to move up, he has his crossbow out, something about this tree just gave him the creeps and it was a comfort to have in hand.

Rutskarn
2010-01-04, 05:54 PM
"So," Spanky asks, quietly. "If he...you know, if he doesn't come out. What's our backup plan?"

Tyrael
2010-01-04, 09:11 PM
"Keep going," Tom replies heavily. "If he doesn't come out, it's clear the Forest Prince isn't welcoming visitors. We should just keep marching until we find somewhere a bit more friendly."

Helinon
2010-01-04, 09:38 PM
Assuming that Ulfor is close enough to hear the conversation, he immediately returns to the group. ''I almost forgot, if i do die, then you should at least have the equipment i can spare.'' Ulfor then gives the group everything but his sword and armor and continues to climb back up the stairs.

josh13905
2010-01-05, 06:27 PM
I'll be damned if I let a youth die, while I stand with life in my bones. Charlie leaves his stuff on him, and continues up after Ulfor.

Gorgondantess
2010-01-06, 02:46 AM
Blargh. RL has been hectic, haven't really had the chance to get in a thoughtful post.
Ulfor ascends the stairway, clumsily feeling his way through the darkness for what feels like hours. A draft can be felt, tugging at his clothes, pulling him towards the ledge, and the stairwell seems to thin the further he goes. Eventually he resorts to pressing his chest against the wall, and walking sideways.
Of course, it's all in his imagination... but he can't surpress an irresistible panic. As soon as he finds the urge to go back down, screw it all, just run, he finds an end.
Bumping into a wall with a start, he feels around, finding a door: opening it, he finds himself on a sort of platofrm, and his fears are lifted. The top of the tree has been cut off: branches spread out to either side, creating a canopy, and in every direction he can see the tops of trees, on forever... and a sunset, purples and oranges, piercing across the sky.
He finds the platform empty, aside from an altar: and on this altar lies a man, or close enough. His skin is desiccated, dry, looking as though it would crumble at the touch: he lays about 7 feet tall, likely once a grand figure, the outline of lean muscles still remaining. His hair spreads out under him, looking like dried moss, down to his waist, and he wears some jewelry: finely tooled wooden bracelets on his arms, crossed on his chest, a similar belt to hold up a loincloth in life, and a tarnished silver necklace about his throat. His eyes are closed, but nevertheless horrible to behold: the man is both beautiful and antipathetic at the same time.

Those below can see a glimmer from above, though it's hard to make out. Ulfor's been climbing about 5 minutes.

Helinon
2010-01-06, 10:16 AM
Ulfor sees the body and vomits from all of the tension in the air. He then carefully makes his way back down, making sure not to be overcome by panic, and tells the others this, ''The Forest Prince is no more. He is lying out on an altar, and looks like he's been there for awhile. Also it's sunset and I don't like the idea of being close to this place during the night. I've heard of too many dark rituals being performed in the night, and this looks like one of them.''

Tyrael
2010-01-06, 01:43 PM
Tom nods grimly. "That's unfortunate. Did you see any settlements nearby while you were up there? We should get moving if this is a dead end."

Helinon
2010-01-06, 01:56 PM
''I didn't get close enough to the edge of the tree to see anything. Didn't want to get that close to the body. I say we loot the abandoned village, get what we can from there and follow any road we can find. Eventually we should come across someone.''

josh13905
2010-01-06, 04:08 PM
Entering the room, Charlie walks to Ulfor's side a sad face adorning him. He slings his weapon, finding it now unnecessary. He follows him back down the stairs, without saying a word arriving at the bottom he finally says. "We should leave then."

Rutskarn
2010-01-07, 11:03 AM
Spanky isn't so eager to get rid of his weapon. "How close is it to sunset?" he asks, slowly.

In his uncomplicated, urban-legend mind, he thinks:

Dessicated body, laid out on an altar during the day. Powerful. Said to be alive by some.

God damn it. Is this a goddamned vampire?

Tyrael
2010-01-07, 12:06 PM
Tom nods. "Good plan. Let's get going, then. Lead on."

Helinon
2010-01-07, 03:08 PM
''The sun was pretty far down. I'm not sure how long we have until night falls. Why? The body looked fairly dead.''

Rutskarn
2010-01-08, 11:36 PM
"Because it's probably a goddamned vampire or something, that's why."

Tyrael
2010-01-09, 12:03 AM
Tom shakes his head with a snort. "Vampire? It's just a dead guy. Either way I see it, we need to keep moving. If he's a vampire then he'll kill us all so we need to keep moving. If he's not a vampire then he's dead so there's nothing interesting and we need to keep moving. Either way, we're wasting daylight travel-time. Come on, people. We should get as far as we can before settling down for the night."

Gorgondantess
2010-01-09, 12:35 AM
You folks all march back to James' camp, where he's laying back, snacking on some more meat. He looks very content. Staring at you a moment, he speaks in a glazed voice. "Sooooo. Was the Forest Prince's advice illuminating?"

Tyrael
2010-01-09, 12:41 AM
"He's dead," Tom replies bluntly.