PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Transfer Enchantment... does this work?

R. Shackleford
2009-12-13, 11:51 PM
Can I use the ritual to transfer the properties of say, a Craghammer or Executioner Axe to a, in this case, Mordenkrad, to create a weapon that has 2d6 hit, Brutal 2, High Crit/Versatile?

I feel like I'm treading onto thin ice, but nothing in the character maker seems to say otherwise. If this is possible, I might be multiclassing the character into Bard for the Arcana training...

Gralamin
2009-12-13, 11:52 PM
Can I use the ritual to transfer the properties of say, a Craghammer or Executioner Axe to a, in this case, Mordenkrad, to create a weapon that has 2d6 hit, Brutal 2, High Crit/Versatile?

I feel like I'm treading onto thin ice, but nothing in the character maker seems to say otherwise. If this is possible, I might be multiclassing the character into Bard for the Arcana training...

Uhhh, No. Transfer Enhancement is for transferring Magical enhancements, not weapon properties.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-13, 11:54 PM
You can transfer the Enchantment of an item, not its base properties. So, if you find a +3 Jagged Executioner's Axe in a dungeon, but your character uses Fullblades, you can transfer the "+3 Jagged" enchantment to the fullblade with the ritual.

So no, your idea does not work, because that is not dealing with enchantments but rather basic properties.

EDIT: Ka-Ninja'd. Just my luck...

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 12:01 AM
Aw man, I wanted to make a high crit, heavy thrown, light thrown, versatile, brutal 2, small, +3, off-hand, two-handed, defensive, 2d6, reach weapon by transferring a drow long knife to a dagger to a khopesh to a talenta whatever to a parrying dagger to a craghammer to a maul to a kukri to a spear

Did anyone else notice that not only is the OP transferring weapon properties, they are stacking them as they go too? Both are illegal.

Edit: Forgot reach!

R. Shackleford
2009-12-14, 12:02 AM
Drat. I saw the word properties, and I thought, "Yay, brutaller attack damage!"

Oh well. Thanks everyone.

R. Shackleford
2009-12-14, 12:06 AM
Aw man, I wanted to make a high crit, heavy thrown, light thrown, versatile, brutal 2, small, +3, off-hand, two-handed, defensive, 2d6, reach weapon by transferring a drow long knife to a dagger to a khopesh to a talenta whatever to a parrying dagger to a craghammer to a maul to a kukri to a spear

Did anyone else notice that not only is the OP transferring weapon properties, they are stacking them as they go too? Both are illegal.

Edit: Forgot reach!

I wasn't stacking them, either the Axe or Hammer would've added the Brutal 2 I wanted, and one of two other properties, hence High Crit/Versatile.

I'm not that stupid.

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 12:15 AM
I wasn't stacking them, either the Axe or Hammer would've added the Brutal 2 I wanted, and one of two other properties, hence High Crit/Versatile.

I'm not that stupid.

He meant that it should replace the other properties, as it does to other magical enhancements.

HMS Invincible
2009-12-14, 01:22 AM
You know what sucks? I find it hard to convince my DM that I can transfer my low level +1 cloak with a good enchantment property to a +3 cloak of useless enchantment property so that I end up with a +3 cloak with a good enchantment.

Worira
2009-12-14, 01:27 AM
Uh, that's because you can't. It would be quite overpowered if you could.

cupkeyk
2009-12-14, 01:28 AM
because by RAW you can't. Like put your dwarven+1 armor enchantment onto you +5 tactician's for a +5 dwarven? it would work with a +5 magic though. ^_^

edit: nin-jaaaah!

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 01:31 AM
He meant that it should replace the other properties, as it does to other magical enhancements.
Exactly, if you could use Transfer Enchantment with weapon properties you'd end up with a Mordenkrad that functions exactly like a Craghammer getting you a net gain of nothing.

Edit: I think I'll call my earlier abomination the 'Omniblade' and make it an ultra-mega-superior weapon, you need to take 3 separate feats to even qualify for it. Even then it might be too powerful. Oh, and it apparently fits into the hammer, spear, axe, light blade, heavy blade groups... need to work polearm, mace, staff, and whatever else I forgot in there.

Colmarr
2009-12-14, 05:21 PM
because by RAW you can't. Like put your dwarven+1 armor enchantment onto you +5 tactician's for a +5 dwarven? it would work with a +5 magic though.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying here, but I doubt it's correct.

Transfer +1 Dwarven to +5 Tactician gives you +1 Dwarven (and thus isn't very smart).

Transfer +1 Dwarven to +5 Magic gives you +1 Dwarven (again, not very smart).

Transfer +5 Magic to +5 Tactician gives you + 5 Magic (see the pattern here?).

Ultimately Transfer Enchantment is good only for moving a weapon or implement enchantment from one type to another (eg. longsword to warhammer) or an armour enchantment from one type to another (eg. chainmail to scale mail).

In either case, I believe that the enchantment must be valid on both items for the transfer to be successful.

kc0bbq
2009-12-14, 05:42 PM
The target has to be legal for the enchantment, as well, doesn't it? No putting Vorpal Weapon on a whip.

Yakk
2009-12-14, 06:18 PM
You know what sucks? I find it hard to convince my DM that I can transfer my low level +1 cloak with a good enchantment property to a +3 cloak of useless enchantment property so that I end up with a +3 cloak with a good enchantment.
A level 5 cloak is a +1 cloak with a great property. It costs 2.3x as much as a level 1 item.
A level 11 cloak is a +3 cloak with no property. It costs 25x as much as a level 1 item.
A level 15 cloak is a +3 cloak with the same great property. It costs 2.3x times as much as the level 11 cloak, or 58x as much as the level 1 cloak.

As described, burning a level 5 cloak and a level 11 cloak (totalling 27x as much as a level 1 cloak) produces a level 15 cloak (costing 58x as much as a level 1 cloak).

You can see how this would be ridiculously good. :-)

Jack_Banzai
2009-12-14, 07:50 PM

You know what sucks?

Oh, I can't finish this sentence.

erikun
2009-12-14, 08:06 PM
You know what sucks?
Working in an airless environment would suck the air right out of me. :smalltongue:

cupkeyk
2009-12-14, 09:26 PM
and a thermobaric warhead too

Colmarr
2009-12-15, 12:20 AM
The target has to be legal for the enchantment, as well, doesn't it? No putting Vorpal Weapon on a whip.

That's what I said :smallsmile: