PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Build Ideas for Christmas One Shot

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-12-14, 12:34 AM
I'm potentially taking part in a Christmas-themed humorous one shot, and I've decided to play that wonderful trope, the big, lovably stupid bruiser. Other than that I'm not sure where I'm going just yet. I'm pretty sure we're going to be somewhere in the middle of Paragon tier. I don't play much 4e, so I might not be too familiar with particular rules, feats, etc. Please bear with me.

Anyway, I'd like the playground to give me a few build ideas for a barbarian/fighter/whatever else fits the above trope. Links to handbooks on CO or BG is fine, but I'm mostly looking for specific build ideas, not general guides. Mechanically effective builds that aren't abusive are obviously a plus. Pointing out a particularly awesome/fun encounter or daily power is good as well.

Other things... Standard PB; the only other character I know about is a brutal rogue; I've only played in heroic tier so I probably won't know much about paragon paths/feats you mention. I'll add other things to this list as people ask the obvious questions I missed.

Oh, and the DM approves of non-core sources on a case-by-case basis (mostly yes), so please tell me where your non-core sources come from. Thanks everyone.

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 12:37 AM
Thaneborn Barbarian or Bravura Warlord. "LET'S SMASH THROUGH THAT ARMY OF GUYS THERE! YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

cupkeyk
2009-12-14, 12:43 AM
christmas? make an elf, wear green, open each combat by chucking coal at your opponent; "you get a pice of coal this year you naughty kid... what you want a toy? i'll give you a toy!" (pull out your executioner's axe) i guess it would work with a fat dwarf in a red suit too.

Pramxnim
2009-12-14, 12:55 AM
I'll second the Thaneborn build, and for extra humour, go with a Halfling Thaneborn! Coincidentally, I have a Thaneborn Halfling build laid out all the way to epic, and I can easily scoop up the level 16 version to put here.

The build assumes the use of the PHB, PHB II, Adventurer's Vault, Adventurer's Vault 2, Primal Power, Dragon magazine issues 378 and 379, plus one teeny weeny item from Eberron Player's Guide.

Snapshot, Level 16

Race: Halfling (PHB)
Class: Barbarian (PHB 2)
Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph (PHB 2)
Paragon Path: Ancestral Weapon (PP) or Calm Fury (PP), whatever floats your boat.

Ability Scores, with racial adjustments:
Strength 20 (+5)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Dexterity 17 (+3)
Intelligence 9 (-1)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 20 (+5)

HP: 118 --> 15 base, +13 Constitution, +90 levels
Bloodied: 59 HP or less
Healing Surges: 9 --> 8 base, +1 Constitution
Healing Surge Value: 29 HP

AC: 32 --> 18 base, +3 ability (Dexterity), +7 armor, +2 Barbarian Agility +2 Small Warrior
Fortitude: 30 --> 18 base, +5 ability (Strength), +2 class, +3 Enhancement, +2 Feyhide
Reflex: 28 --> 18 base, +3 ability (Dexterity), +2 Barbarian Agility, +3 enhancement +2 Small Warrior
Will: 27 --> 18 base, +5 ability (Charisma), +3 enhancement, +1 Circlet

Initiative: +11 --> 8 (1/2 level) +3 ability (Dexterity)
Speed: 6 --> 6 base
Att bonus: +8 (1/2 Lvl) + 5 (Str) + 3 (Enhancement) + 2 (Weapon Expertise) + 3 (Prof)
Damage bonus: +16 damage (5 Str + 3 Enhancement + 4 Iron Armbands + 2 Weapon Focus +2 Scrappy)

Racial Powers:
Second Chance (PHB)

At-Will Attack Powers:
L1 - Howling Strike (PHB 2)
L1 - Pressing Strike (PHB 2)

Encounter Attack Powers:
L3 - Daring Charge (PHB II)
L7 - Fearsome Smash (PP) OR Curtain of Steel (PHB II)
L11 - Furious Calm (PP) OR Blood-Spattered Fury (PP)
L13 - Blood-Frenzy Strike (PP)

Daily Attack Powers:
L5 - Rage of the Crimson Hurricane (PP)
L9 - Rage of the Death Spirit (PP)
L15 - Ancestral War Band (PP)

Utility Powers:
L2 - Shrug it Off (PP)
L6 - Feral Rejuvenation (PP)
L10 - Heart Strike (PHB II)
L12 - Deliberate Rampage (PP) OR Ancestor's Presence (PP)

Skills:
Acrobatics (+17) --> +8 (1/2 level) +3 ability (Dexterity), +2 racial, +5 trained, -1 armor
Athletics (+17) --> +8 (1/2 level) +5 ability (Strength), +5 trained, -1 armor
Intimidate (+18) --> +8 (1/2 level) +5 ability (Charisma), +5 trained
Perception (+14) --> +8 (1/2 level) +1 ability (Wisdom), +5 trained

Feats:
Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) (PHB)
Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blades) (PHB)
Scrappy (Dragon 379)
Raging Bloodcut (PP)
Student of the Sword (PHB)
Small Warrior's Defense (Dragon 378)
Lost in the Crowd (PHB)
Underfoot (PHB) OR Primal Halfling Counterattack (PP)
Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) (PHB)
Deadly Rage (PHB II)

Gear (Expected GP = 160,000):
L17 (65,000gp): +4 Marauder's Armor (AV2)
L16 (45,000gp): Iron Armbands of Power (Paragon, AV)
L14 (21,000 gp): +3 Wounding Bastard Sword (AV)
L12 (13,000gp): +3 Cloak of Resistance (PHB)
L11 (9,000 gp): +3 Magic Javelin (PHB)
L8 (3,400 gp): Circlet of Indomitability (AV)
L6 (1,800 gp): Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) (PHB)
L5 (1,000 gp): Eberron Shard of Bleeding Wounds (EPG)
L2 (520gp): Boots of the Adept Charging (AV)
Loose change: 1,280 gp

Discussion
Feats
Weapon Focus is self-explanatory (+2 bonus to damage = Good). Deadly Rage is a decent damage booster in general.
Since your defenses are pretty solid with Lost in the Crowd and Marauder's armor, it might be a bit overkill to get Underfoot as well, so you might want to go for Primal Halfling Counterattack for some neat Nova Potential (+6 damage for 1 round against the target of your Second Chance power. AP away!)
Items
Marauder's Armor is great at this level, since it gives you +2 bonus to AC until EoNT. You can safely charge every turn without worry.
Powers
Blood-Frenzy Strike sets up a great combo with ongoing damage since it gives 3+Charisma vulnerability. It also helps your allies greatly, even more than Escalating Violence and fits the theme. Storm of Blades is also possible, but it's too selfish for this build ^^.
Ancestral War Band Rage gives you auto-CA until the end of the encounter and a hyped-up version of Brutal 1 along with a decent damaging attack. Very useful power in general.
Deliberate Rampage: 1/Enc gives you an awesome Rampage!
Ancestral Presence: Mark the big bad and gain a reliable damage bonus against him until the end of the encounter.

The focus of the build is two-fold:

1. Charge as much as possible, making use of Howling Strike as your main damage dealer. Marauder's Armor coupled with Lost in the Crowd will take care of your AC after you charge, and Nimble Reaction (Halfling racial feature) will protect you from Opportunity Attacks on the way to your target.

2. Deal nasty Ongoing Damage to your enemies via your Daily Rages / Rage Strike. With Raging Bloodcut, you can choose to sacrifice 2d10 damage from your Rage attacks (or Rage Strike) and deal 12 Ongoing Damage (Save Ends at -3 penalty thanks to Wounding Weapon), which averages out to 30 damage over 2.5 rounds, better than the damage you're sacrificing. You can also, as a daily item power, deal 12 Ongoing Damage (SE at -3 penalty) when you hit with your Wounding Bastard Sword. Enjoy the bleeding!

If you have any queries on how the feats and powers work because you don't have some of the books I mentioned, feel free to PM me and I'll explain them to you. Hope you have fun with the Christmas Game!

PS: Oh, if you can, please do tell me the characters your friends are using, as I might just yoink them to use in my own Christmas game that I'm planning (I plan to have pre-made characters to hand out, since I don't know who'll be playing). Happy holidays!

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 01:44 AM
I'm potentially taking part in a Christmas-themed humorous one shot, and I've decided to play that wonderful trope, the big, lovably stupid bruiser.

'Big' Races: Minotaur, Goliath, Bugbear, Gnoll, Dragonborn, Warforged.

I'd probably go with a Goliath, WotC seems to have been pushing them as big and lovable since they created them.

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 01:53 AM
Warforged as a giant Toy Soldier or Bugbear as a giant Teddy Bear.