PDA

View Full Version : Kreados (Good Team)

Pages : [1] 2

Elfin
2009-12-14, 01:23 AM
Five hundred thousand pieces of gold.
Split between the lot of you, that was a hundred thousand each; still, a vast sum.
Each of you, seated in the midst of the Archmage's study, ran your eyes about the group that had been summoned here - all adventurers of some renown, you expected, judging by the offer given.
After scanning your newfound companions, you returned your gaze to Quintus: his keen, ebon eyes met yours and he folded his hands upon his polished desk.

"So. Have you made your decision?"

The words were sharp, piercing; a reminder that this was not merely an old man filled with foolish fancies, but Quintus Seventstave, the Archmage of the Free City; to deny his offer might be as deadly as to accept it.

And yet, surely death was certain upon this venture, for no hero, however mighty, had ever achieved the task which Quintus asked of you.
But time for your choice grew short; you could sense that the Archmage was again about to speak.

Quintus's words were slow now, yet no less powerful.

"I have now given you ample time; have you decided?
Will you, great heroes from across the lands of Kreados, for the payment of five hundred thousand coins of gold...

Bring me the heart of the Tarrasque?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-14, 12:36 PM
Ildran

"So you definitely only want the heart then? I'm in either way, but I think I could make use of the thing's other entrails."

The ageing mage looked at his would be companions. Interesting lot, thought he recognised a few of them, but he couldn't be bothered to descent into the pit of knowledge that was his brain to figure it out.

Elfin
2009-12-14, 01:54 PM
"The heart is all I have need of, Korvaire. If you wish to have the rest, keep it by all means.
However, I am glad that one so great as you has agreed to my offer."

His eyes glint, and Quintus turns away from the aged Ildran.

"For the rest of you, though...the question still stands."

Narmoth
2009-12-14, 02:21 PM
Knowledge check for any info of the Tarrasque:
[roll0]

Elfin
2009-12-14, 04:51 PM
Vardan
The Tarrasque is an elusive creature, but amongst the most fearsome beasts that still walk upon Kravell, surpassed only by the darkest horrors of the depths and the terrible monsters that dwell in Taeroes.
Most of the time, the Tarrasque sleeps in its lair, hidden where none have yet discovered it, but every century or so it awakens, leaving a devastating trail of destruction in its wake; it usually strikes from the north, attacking the outskirts of Naramis and Amperia.
Only twice has it come close to death: the first, when the entirety of the Vix Tholm amassed against it, but because of its size the beast was able to retreat more swiftly than they could follow. The second was when it, alone, set siege to Darkvale - but luckily for it, its invasion coincided with an attack by a horde of varags, and it made its escape.
The Tarrasque has now not been seen for over fifty years.

Falconknight06
2009-12-14, 10:28 PM
My goodness sir, that is quite the request you make of us, a ragtag group of travelers. What would possibly give you the idea we possess the power to take down a being as legendary as the Tarrasque. I can only speak for myself, but I know that I am in fact not of the world shattering power that seems necessary to take down a being as mighty as the Tarrasque. Aeric says with a bit of humor in his voice, trying to get a reaction from the rest of those assembled, perhaps trying to gauge what they thought of their own power level.

You're just acting like a coward Aeric. You and I both know you've talked about taking out a legendary creature so people would tell stories about you, said the young woman standing at the right side of Aeric's chair, her green eyes glittering with a mischievous light.

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 05:30 AM
Vardan, a rather tall and muscular human male, with shaved head, a short beard and long chivalry mustache gets up from his chair. He wears a plain and heavily worn gray robe, with a hemp rope for belt, and holds a walking staff in his left hand.
"So, you want us to kill a creature that hasn't bothered anyone for the last 50 years just because you suddenly need it's heart? It sounds rather petty of you. Are you sure you really need it? What is so important that another creature needs to die for it?"
His voice is deep and powerful, more the voice of a warrior used to command armies than the voice of a preacher used to lead his flock.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-15, 12:21 PM
Ildran

"Considering the death and destruction it has wrought in the past, I'd say it's own fate is more than justified. Would you let a murderer off the hook because he had escaped and not reoffended?

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 01:54 PM
No, I would try to change the murderer to do good in stead, for it is not in his nature to kill. It's artificail. The Tarrasque, on the other hand, is a beast that get's hungry and therefore kills. It is it's nature, just like it is in human nature to eat cattle. This proposition, on the other hand, involves waking the Tarrasque and risk it tearing down the countryside. I can'
t see that the risk is worth it for the people that will be threatened by it

Elfin
2009-12-15, 01:56 PM
Quintus looks at Vardan almost testily; a flicker of anger brushes across his eyes.
He regains control of himself swiftly, though, and forces his thin mouth into a smile.

"Of course, it is only natural that you would wish to know. Only natural...
But, let it, at least for now, suffice that it your task is essential for the fate of the world. After all, I am the Archmage; I would have thought my assurance alone would be enough.
Do not worry; in due time, all will be revealed."

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 02:45 PM
I can respect that. But I have to insist that the due time is now.

The phrase is spoken with a great force of authority and unbending will, and you have to wonder who this man in poor robes really is.

(diplomacy: [roll0])

Elfin
2009-12-15, 02:55 PM
Opposed check (don't look)

[roll0]

"Vardan...what...?"
Quintus, the Archmage of Kravell, seems shaken: his voice quavers and he turns his gaze from Vardan.
It takes only a moment for him to regain himself, though - but still obviously unsettled, Quintus stands, midnight blue robes and grey beard towering above those still seated.

"Very well. I suppose you have a right to know."
Quintus's tone sharpens.

"I have recently, while exploring the depths of the archives of the Wizards' Guild, come across a scroll of ancient craft: if I am correct, it bears a spell of mighty proportions, one that has the power to usher in a new golden age for Kravell. Rivers shall run with bounty, crops shall flourish, plagues and evil wither; but, of course, the spell must remain a secret until it is cast, or else kingdoms might wage wars for its power, and lay the world to ruin - a final irony that would be!
However, of course, it is not that simple - to cast the spell, it is required to have the heart of one of the Kor, an ancient race of creatures. Now, the only remaining is the Tarrasque: but I must not seek it out and slay it myself, for surely my absence would be most conspicuous.
Thus I turn to you, heroes, to aid me in this bid, whereby the world might become again glorious as it was in the days of old."

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 03:12 PM
That sounds very nice. But how exactly would it wither evil?
Vardans eyes flash up and it is almost as if he stand taller in the room, being suddenly the center of the group rather than one of it, a teacher amidst students rather than a mercenary in front of potential allies

It's not for lack of crops and game or roof over their heads that armies are gathered and sent to slay other sentient beings. And plagues would not spread if clerics spent less time on the field of battle, and corpses weren't cast into the rivers to poison ones enemies, and people were left to die with their food and wealth taken to fund the wars the realms mightiest wage on each other

Falconknight06
2009-12-15, 03:59 PM
The entire time the man in the simple robes had spoken, Aerics eyes have never left him. Aeric, not being a stranger to the power of speech, smiled at the mans obvious ability with speech, but he clearly felt he needed to say something. Aeric stood, his presence, though not as great as the priests, still warranted notice by the others in the room. As wonderful as your sentiments are my good sir, we all know that it is human nature to want what others have, no matter how illogical it is. I must side with the archmage on his way of solving the problem, as magic seems to be the only possible way to stop people from acting the way they usually do. That being said, I am curious as to how this magic is to work. I've heard many stories of legendary magics requiring legendary parts of legendary creatures, and I've never heard anything like this. I realize you don't want fighting to result from the casting of this spell, but you obviously trust those of us gathered to keep our mouths shut about it. Perhaps more background on this spell is in order.

Elfin
2009-12-15, 04:13 PM
Quintus's voice lowers dangerously as he once more addresses Vardan.

"I will not tolerate such insolence, paladin, however great your fame may be.
And, of course, you are right. The reason that evil persists...is because some...as you so rightly say...raise armies to slay other sentient beings, without regard to who they harm."

On these last words. Quintus speaks in no more than a whisper; then he turns abruptly to Aeric.

"I am glad you appreciate my wishes, Bard; for flourishing crops and plentiful supplies can not help but improve the minds of those...warmongers.
As for my magics, you shall see them for yourself once they are put into effect: for now, I might say no more.
But worry not! If the spell seems instead harmful, I can always reverse it."

Quintus laughs and smiles broadly.

"I am sure that this will work, and that peace will at last come to Kreados!
For now, let us not delve too deeply into the realm of fear or despair, but remember always how close we are to victory!"

Vardan only:
As you listen to the Archmage's words, you can't help but recall the words of your ally, Kuthar of Ironhame: who knows what Quintus's true motives are? Surely, you should stop whatever his foul plans - for is it not your duty as a defender of Kravell?

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 04:38 PM
"If you really find my fame that great, Archwizard, you should know that I am living proof of that no amount of earthly riches will prevent a man to turn to evil. Therefore I am not counted as one of the paladins of Vix Tholm anymore."

A darkness spreads out from Vardan and fills the room, then fades and leaves him almost in a nimbus of light (as he quick-casts Eagle's Splendor)

"Only upon encountering true virtue and courage I saw that I was wrong, for you see, you can force people to be evil, but you can't force them to be good.
I hope therefore you will reconsider your course of action and find some more gainful application for your arcane power"

(diplomacy at +4: [roll0])

Elfin
2009-12-15, 04:44 PM
"Come now, Vardan. There's no reason to get hostile; after all, we are all friends here, merely trying to aid our world. Perhaps I was too harsh; I ask again - will you help me, and try to spread peace across Kreados?"

Everyone can look-
Melamoto is taking over the Good Team's DMing, at least for right now.

Narmoth
2009-12-15, 04:58 PM
(Vardan should have used detect evil on everyone upon entering the room. Since he didn't get the chance, I'll just do it now. Simply Pm me if anyone shows up)

I guess someone will have to come and look after that the defenseless people won't get hurt, but I think this won't help a bit.

Melamoto
2009-12-16, 11:44 AM
"Well, if you succeed, there will be nothing to worry about, will there?" Quintus seems to smile a bit as he looks at nothing in particular. "Come along, we have a chance to make the world a better place! We can not waste such a golden opportunity! I promise you, I will not let any harm come to innocents. And when this spell is complete, no harm will come to anyone! Is that not what you want? Is that not what we all want?" His voice takes on a serious note, as his face turns from a healthy smile to a deep frown. "If you are not with me, then you may as well walk out now, and forget this ever happened."

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-16, 12:07 PM
Ildran

"Oh come along you miserable sod. It's an adventure. If we wait for it to wake up on its own people will die anyway, and they may not have someone with your power to defend them. Better to do it now while you're still around."

Narmoth
2009-12-16, 01:08 PM
I guess you are right, Ildran. I will come with you then. sighs Vardan in resignation

Falconknight06
2009-12-16, 03:08 PM
Well, I'm glad we're agreed that we're going to compose our own song of legend. Now we just need to deal with how we find this thing and how we get its heart. Aeric will say, continuing to stand as Lylia had stolen his seat.

Narmoth
2009-12-17, 06:32 AM
"Toss a coin with a cow tied to it, and then lie still making sounds like a well done steak"
Vardan turns to the bard

Melamoto
2009-12-17, 11:13 AM
Quintus seems relieved, and he has a light chuckle at Vardan's suggestion. He then, however, turns a bit more serious. "Finding the beast may not be such an easy task. It hides somewhere, but that somewhere could be anywhere, and while it sleeps scrying attempts are impossible. I never thought I'd say it, but it looks like this needs to be done..." his face seems almost ghostly white, "without magic." He sits down, seems to think for a moment, and then faces back up. "Of course, there is somebody who knows its location. Or might do, at least. The only issue is who and where they are."

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-19, 05:23 AM
Ildran

"Okey dokey, artichokey. I'm willing to offer an assortment of Divinations. They take time though, so think carefully about what you want to know, oh fearless ones. Quintus, can I rely on you for the necessary components until we leave your compound?"

Narmoth
2009-12-19, 06:45 AM
"Well, there's several options: first of all, we can expect it to be north of Naramis and Amperia. There should be people that survived the last attack, and if we know where the last attack was, we could track it from there.
With divination we could either try to find the Tarrasque directly, but I doubt it would work, or find who survived the attack and remembers it well.

Melamoto
2009-12-19, 07:08 AM
"Unfortunately, Divinations will not be necessary. I know of the person in question, and of their rough location." Quintus sits back on his chair, as he recounts the tale. "You see, many people have boasted over their ability to do incredible things. Sometimes, they are completely over the top. A hard feat for a great and mighty warrior to accomplish. Such was Argor Paxillion. Not to be deterred by this, however, he claimed he knew the location of the Tarrasque, and could slay it by himself. Everyone naturally assumed he was joking, and thought nothing of it. So it came as a great shock when he actually set out on his journey, promising to bring back a tooth as proof. Nobody knows how, but he somehow knew the location of its hiding place. His boast was honest." Quintus takes a look at everyone, before continuing, "Well, mostly honest. He never returned alive; evidently he was no match for the Tarrasque's ferocity. However, Argor was too stubborn; death was not going to stop him. He returned a dreadful creature, animated by fell energies, with death on his mind. He gathered himself a small task force, and constructed a keep with which to build his army. He gathers power there, but has never acted upon it. He has never been seen as a serious threat as such, although local forces are wary of him. But, it is known that he kept a journal of all of his adventures. Before he marched upon the Tarrasque's lair, he would have kept a written guide detailing his journey there. He kept the journal on him at all times, and would have taken it with him after he turned. And so, when you get him, you get the location of the Tarrasque." Quintus stands up, and speaks in an official and instructing voice. "And so, your first act should be to travel to Argor's keep, fight through his army of the dead, destroy him, and retrieve his journal. Nothing too tough for a band of adventurers such as yourselves, I should imagine."

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-19, 08:28 AM
Ildran

"Oh is that all, fight through an army then destroy an undead monstrosity, and that's before we start our journey to battle the freaking Tarrasque. I thought this was going to be difficult. You're lucky I'm old or I'd kick the crap out of you for only offering 100,000 gold coins for this."

Despite his serious tone and scathing look in Quintus' direction, he still pick up his bag and seems to be readying himself to leave.

Melamoto
2009-12-19, 08:37 AM
While smiling, Quintus responds in a similarly sarcastic tone, "Well, perhaps if you're lucky, one of you will die so that the rest of you get a bigger cut. After all, that's all that matters, if I am following you correctly." Quintus turns to the rest of the group. "So, are the rest of you going to raise any more objections?"

Narmoth
2009-12-19, 09:22 AM
"I think it would be obvious by now that I will.
You haven't considered asking him, have you?
I really think that should be the main plan, and any slaying the last resort. For all we know, he could even want to help."

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-19, 09:32 AM
Ildran

"I thought you Paladins were supposed to be all about the undead slaying? Although if you want to try and reason with it then go head, after all Quintus is right; if one of you dies my share goes up 50%."

With that he looks at Quitus. "What's your policy on looting? Guys like him tend to keep rather impressive libraries."

Melamoto
2009-12-19, 05:06 PM
"You lot can keep whatever trinkets and fancy baubles you find; I have all I need right here." He motions his hand around his bookcases, containing many books and scrolls of considerable arcane power. "Serving as an Archmage assures I have access to anything I need, so you need not bring me back anything. How you divide up loot among yourselves is up to you, although I would kindly request you don't kill each other about it."

Narmoth
2009-12-19, 05:29 PM
Vardan smiles:
"Hey, we're the good guys! Remember?"
and then his voice changes:
"Or maybe you don't...."
He turns
I'll meet up with you later. Guess we'll ride there, so I have to borrow myself a horse."

Dm:
want me to roleplay that, or a simple diplomacy check for it?

Melamoto
2009-12-19, 05:52 PM
Quintus squints for a moment, before straightening up and responding, "Very well, you may leave. Try not to take too long, it would be rude to leave your companions waiting."

Vardan
I see no reason to have to make checks of any sort; it's just a series of simple statements. Roleplay is just fine. We shall commence further action via PM, so that the few people who go ahead and read these spoilers when they aren't supposed to won't see. Yes, that means you, guy reading this.

Narmoth
2009-12-19, 05:54 PM
Melamoto:
it's just a horse. and my pm box is almost full

Melamoto
2009-12-19, 06:03 PM
Vardan
Ok then, I just get a bit picky about people reading spoiler tags and knowing things they shouldn't, even if it's a simple 5 minute excursion. With some players, even a simple tavern visit can end up with half the town burning down, so I tend to be a bit more cautious.

Narmoth
2009-12-19, 06:16 PM
Vardan steps outside the building...
...and looks around for any guard stable or officials stable

Falconknight06
2009-12-19, 08:49 PM
Just as the heroes of old do, we begin the great quest with a slightly less great quest, though no less of a challenge. Well Lilya my dear, are you ready to achieve greatness? Aeric asks his companion who had taken his chair.

I've always been up for an adventure Aeric, you should know that by now She returns with a mischievous smile as the two gather there belongings, slinging packs across their backs.

So, Melamoto, do you want to cover my cohorts responses? It might make the interactions more realistic. I was using Olive as the color of her speech and she is just a mischievous teenage girl, might have a slight schoolgirl crush on Aeric. She does posess an intelligence that surprises most people who talk to her, probably because she is actually ten years older than she appears and a copper dragon about twenty years away from full maturity who can morph into a 17 year old girl, the form she is usually in. If asked, she is training with Aeric to be a Bard.

Melamoto
2009-12-20, 09:44 AM
Aeric
I'm fine with you dictating your Cohort's actions, as long as you don't take too much control over her. It saves posting space and makes things generally easy.

Vardan
In one of the busiest and greatest cities in the world, you have no trouble in locating a number of stables, located further to the outer rim of the city. You see the one with the cheapest prices, and an apparent wide selection of mounts; there are no other stables or similar establishments of note that you can find.

Narmoth
2009-12-20, 10:39 AM
Melamoto:
I'm not looking to buy a horse. I'm looking for a stable belonging to the realms officials where I will try to get a horse loaned for free

Melamoto
2009-12-20, 10:54 AM
Vardan
As I said, you see no similar establishments of note. You may attempt to borrow a steed from the city police, or otherwise from an individual noble's stables. Assuming you attempt the former, then you see a pair of guards standing by the entrance to the police department, where the stables are inside.

Narmoth
2009-12-20, 11:32 AM
Melamoto only

Vardan aproaches the guards:
""Good day to you. Can I talk with the stable master?"

Melamoto
2009-12-20, 11:42 AM
Vardan
OOC: This is taking up a lot of room in the thread.

One of the guards steps forward, and responds, "What would be your matter of business? You will need a good reason to talk to him; if you're after a horse, there are plenty of civilian dealers you can look for."

Narmoth
2009-12-20, 11:51 AM
Melamoto:
OOC: as far as I'm concerned, I could take a simple diplomacy roll to see if I get the horse or not.
On the other hand, it's not like someone else are posting

"No, I want to ask him for a favor. Therefore I'll need to speak to him personally"
diplomacy: [roll0]

Melamoto
2009-12-20, 01:01 PM
Vardan
Diplomacy: [roll0]

"Oh...uhm...of course! I'll take you to him." The guard leads you through the door, and marches you along through a corridor, before opening a door which leads into a large courtyard, with a gate on to a road which leads to the main exit from the city. A group of horse are gathered in a stable, with a middle aged man feeding them. "Stable master, this man wishes to ask a favour of you." The man turns around, and proclaims loudly, "A favour which inspired you to ignore my instructions? Get of here at once, I will speak to you later." The guard hurries off back to his post. "What is it that you want?" the stable master asks you firmly, turning away to his horses again.

Narmoth
2009-12-20, 01:09 PM
Dm only
"Well, my good man, I am on official business for the realm, and I will need to travel to Argor's keep to investigate his knowledge of the Tarrasque on behalf of the Archmage Quintus . Until now I've been quite content with walking, but now I will need to move much faster. Therefore I was hoping you would lend me a horse until I return to this city again.

diplomacy: [roll0] (i forgot to include Eagles Splendor on my previous roll)

Melamoto
2009-12-20, 01:24 PM
Vardan
Diplomacy: [roll0]

The man turns around slowly, and gapes at you. "Argor's Keep? Quintus? THE TARRASQUE? Who...who are you?" He composes himself, and continues, "For a task of such importance, I shall lend you my finest steed." He brings a dark grey horse out by it's reigns, pats it on the back, and hands you the reigns. "Ok, this is your new owner now. This is Gravewind, the fastest horse of his generation. He is very important to us, so please, try to bring him back safe." The man nods at you, and stands, watching as you leave.

Narmoth
2009-12-20, 01:31 PM
Melamoto
"You have my gratitude. As for who I am: I was once a man of war, but now I am a man of peace...."
he smiles a somewhat bitter smile
"...unfortunately, peace is hard to attain, and sometimes even a man of peace gets drawn into armed conflict

Vardan leaves with the horse.

Vardan waits outside the building with a beautiful horse

Falconknight06
2009-12-21, 11:02 PM
Vardan, that is quite the steed you've found yourself Aeric will say with a smile as he greets the paladin outside the mage's tower, though I had been under the impression that holy warriors possesed the ability to summon celestial steeds to carry them?

Narmoth
2009-12-22, 03:59 AM
Or simply borrow them from friendly officials. I have to remind you again, that there's more than 2 years since I was a holy warrior.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-22, 05:45 AM
Ildran

"You know if you needed a horse, you should have just asked. But no matter, let us be off to our dooms!!"

Narmoth
2009-12-22, 10:31 AM
"Cause you have a little stack of them in your pocket?

Anyway: anyone who knows the directions?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-23, 05:55 AM
Ildran

"Less my pocket, more my pouch, but the same concept."

Narmoth
2009-12-30, 10:27 AM
"Now, before we leave for the keep, I have a suggestion: Let's first try to talk with him. That will be much faster. After all, since he hasn't made the move for the Tarrasque himself yet, he might very well not intend to fight it at all."

Melamoto
2009-12-31, 05:53 PM
Aeric reaches into his pocket and removes a large map of Kreados, with a marking on it. His words echo in your mind...

"This will be an important mission, and the future of this world relies on your success. You are first to head to the town of Iovan, west of here. You will need to take the west exit out of here, and head on the road to Darkvale. When you approach the fork in the path around the Deluge Jungle, you must head forward on the smaller path. Do not take the larger, northern path; as that will take you to Darkvale, far from where you need to be. When you arrive at Iovan, you will need to do your best to find the exact location of Argor's Keep from the townsfolk. They may not be so open to talk about it, but I'm sure you can loosen their tongues. When you reach Argor's Keep, remember this: Argor will keep the journal on himself, never removing it from his body after his death. You need not concern yourself with anything else. You must retrieve it at any cost, as it is the only method we have of finding the Tarrasque. Once you get a hold of it, use its contents to find out where the Tarrasque has hidden itself. From there on, I think it should be easy enough to figure out for yourself. Find the beast, slay it, and bring me its heart. Good luck, and may the Gods be with you."
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/Melamoto/KreadosMap.jpg

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-01, 05:23 AM
Ildran

"Good stuff. Anyone ever been to Iovan before, and I can teleport us there in less than a minute."

Narmoth
2010-01-01, 07:39 AM
"Sounds good. Then that's what we'll do"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 12:53 PM
Ildran

"You seem to have misunderstood. I need someone who's been there before to give me an image to shoot for, otherwise we'll likely end up inside of a wall somewhere. I'm pretty sure I went there in my youth, but that was so long ago, I don't have a clear enough memory of it to use."

Narmoth
2010-01-03, 06:29 PM
"Oh, I see. Well, can't you use a scrying spell first, targeting it with a map to pinpoint the location, and teleport us to the place you scry?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 06:36 PM
Ildran

"Indeed I could. However our host is a powerful mage. I assumed that would be unavailable, because only a sociopath would make us walk all that way when a Teleport could do the job just as well."

He eyes Quintus, apparently waiting for a response.

Narmoth
2010-01-03, 06:59 PM
"You might be a good judge of character, mr Ildran" Vardan smiles a cold smile.
"Then again, we don't need to scry the location where Argor's Keep is. You could scry Iovan, which I doubt is protected against such spells"

Falconknight06
2010-01-08, 04:53 PM
Agreed, scrying the town seems to be a good idea, at least to warn us as to what we should expect in the town. Aeric says with a look off to the horizon

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-11, 04:38 PM
Ildran

"Very well. Make yourselves comfortable, this will take time."

Reaching into his minimal backpack Ildran drew forth a large, very shiny silver mirror, and set it up against a wall. Sitting down he began the Scrying spell.

For an hour he chants and performs assorted hand gestures. Once he is done the mirror's surface shimmers for a moment before (hopefully) revealing Iovan. Taking in the place every detail, every facet of it Ildran dismisses the image and returns the mirror to his pack. Standing he turns to the others.

"Shall we be off then?"

Narmoth
2010-01-13, 04:30 PM
Vardan, who has been meditating on the ground in front of his horse, gets up and smiles:
"Yes, there's nothing more for us here, I believe"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-14, 09:21 AM
Ildran

"Then off we go. Everybody grab on, though not too tight and nowhere I might take offence to you grabbing." The elderly mage gives the group a wink and begins casting the spell as they attach themselves.

The teleportation works fine, though you do have the distinct sensation of the world being shattered like glass, then reforming around you. It's an unusual feeling, not the norm for such a spell.

----------
Cast Teleport.
*The shattered glass thing is purely fluff, we haven't been flung off course or anything (as far as I know).

Melamoto
2010-01-18, 11:35 AM
As the world fades into view, you can see clearly the town around you. There are a large number of buildings, some of them quite tall for a town like this, but they look as if they’re falling apart. Most of the houses are boarded up, with the occasional broken window. You can see nobody in the streets, and when you listen, all that strikes your ears is the wind. It seems the place has been abandoned for a number of months, and the air smells cleaner than that of the city, albeit with the slightest stench of blight, and decay. Up ahead in the distance, just on the horizon, you can see a small, greenish flame, forming up into a tall column that stands straight up to the sky, dominating the view. Just as you are taking in the surroundings, you see an old woman coming out of an alley, her heels creating a rhythmic, echoing, clicking noise against the backdrop of silence as they strike the pavement. When she sees you at last, she stops, dead still, looking straight at you, taking off and rubbing her glasses. Then, after a moment more, she cries out: “Are you the army?”

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-19, 12:09 PM
Ildran

Despite the obvious shock/fear this woman is displaying Ildran is still a bit grouchy for almost warping off in the wrong direction, and so is a bit more sarcastic than he normally would be.

"There are only 4 of us, and I am ridiculously old. So no, we are definitely not an army."

His voice then softens a bit.

"What happened here?"

Melamoto
2010-01-19, 12:38 PM
"Oh fiddlesticks. I don't think they're ever going to get here, you know. But when they do, I'm going to give them a right thrashing for being so late! Horrible manners!" She has a quick wave around of her hands to show her anger, before calming down and speaking nice and politely, like a grandma to her grandchildren. "Well, we'd better get you back to the inn. It's getting dark, and it's been awfully drab and gloomy around these parts lately. We'll explain later, I don't like to go through it all myself." She beckons you to follow her as she turns down the long, winding street.

Narmoth
2010-01-19, 07:32 PM
"I do have to ask, old lady: why were you expecting an army?" Vardan asks in the most polite and friendly tone:
diplomacy [roll0]

Falconknight06
2010-01-19, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure old lady is appropriate or good manners, but I too am interested in why you were expecting the army Aeric will ask as he looks at their surroundings

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 02:45 AM
"Oh, I would have thought it was self explanatory: That." She points out to the distance, where the great green flames rise up as if to touch the sky. "When a castle owned by a great knight whose come back from the dead and in possession of an undead legion starts to light up like that, you expect something, don't you? So we sent for help. And what do we get? Nothing! They just bleedin' hell leave us to ourselves! Terribly rude, that's what it is."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 03:17 AM
Ildran

Clearly Ildran was more out of touch with these youngsters than he thought after mistaking the woman's annoyance for fear.

"Sooooo. I guess we have our bearings at least. Want to head out or wait for daybreak?"

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 04:12 AM
"Don't you worry, old lady. Me and my comrades here will have to head that way, so I can look into it and see what he's up to. Maybe even ask him to stop the light show as it makes his neighbors uncomfortable."
Vardan smiles self-confidently.
"Have anyone been near that place recently, or anyone come out from there that you know of?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 11:14 AM
The old lady seems a bit taken aback by the offer to go to Argor's Keep. "Don't seem such a great idea to me. He's got an army, and you haven't. What were you planning on doing when you get there? Even Garral wouldn't try that, and he'd put a stick to you adventuring folk. I know the likes of you, always so overconfident. Damned silly if you ask me."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 11:19 AM
Ildran

"Technically it's not overconfidence if we're able. Now shoo you whipper-snapper, before I give you a spanking."

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 11:37 AM
"Whippersnapper? Whippersnapper!? I'm 78, and I dare say I've been around longer than you have! My bones are brittle and bruised from working for 60 long years of my life! I'm the oldest remaining woman in the whole village! I've got decades on you, boy! And another thing! You come here unannounced, show up like you own the place, and then have the nerve to insult our sage? Why if I were younger I would give you the thrashing of your life! And I'll get our Garral to give you just that! You're gonna be sorry you are! Where is the respect that young 'uns used to have for the elderly? Gone! They only show you the respect you deserve when they want something from you. First it's "Oh, what's wrong?", then when you get what you want it's "Whipper-snapper", and "I'll give you a spanking"! Honestly, the way things are..." This goes on for a bit.

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 11:38 AM
"No, Ildran, you will not." Vardan snaps, then turns to the old woman
"I don't need an army if I'm only going to talk with him, do I? But please tell about this Garral? As I understood, he was an adventurer of some sort?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 11:44 AM
"Garral? An adventurer?" You can tell that she's trying very hard, and just manages to hold back bursting out into laughter. "No no no, he's head of the committee. Charming young man too. Not like your lad over there", she glares at Ildran, "he's a real gentleman. And a real tough one too! I've seen many an adventurer beg for mercy after he's through with them!" She cackles a bit, as if in joy at the justice done. "Some say he used to be a holy man, but he doesn't seem the type to me. Too straightforward and sensible."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 11:48 AM
"I see. Is he still here, or did he go to the Keep?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 11:56 AM
"He's the committee leader, he's got to stay here with the rest of us. Without him, I don't think there'd be anyone here left."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 12:05 PM
Vardan turns to the rest:
Let's see him first, since we're here. Maybe he knows something."
he then turns back to the old woman
"Can you take us to him?"

(OOC: forgot to mention, but I'm using detect evil, on everyone we meet)

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 12:11 PM
"Of course, of course. He'd be delighted to know that somebody has come to the town, although I can't say that he'd be pleased to know your purposes. Garral knows what's what, and I'd listen to him were I you. We meet over at "The Holey Bucket". I'll take you there, and you can see him for yourself."

OOC: I'll simply say if you detect anything then.

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 12:34 PM
"So, are there many people that will meet there?" Vardan asks as he follows her

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 12:42 PM
"Oh, certainly. About...9, maybe 10 people I should think. That's a fifth of the whole village! The committee has been getting quite big lately."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 12:47 PM
"And what is it the committee discusses?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 12:52 PM
"The state of affairs in the town, job management, who does what basically. We mostly just try to handle all of what goes on around here. Which isn't really much."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 01:04 PM
"Please tell more. How long have you had such a committee?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 01:07 PM
"Since about the time everybody else left and we needed someone to maintain order. We do that pretty well."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 01:11 PM
"Well, it sounds good... And how long is it since everyone else left?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 01:20 PM
"Hard to say. What with my memory, and the way nobody really keeps track of time anymore, I have no idea. I'd take a guess at about...6, maybe 7 months."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 01:27 PM
"That's when the Keep started lighting up, isn't it?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 01:30 PM
"About that time. When it first lit up there was mass hysteria. More and more people kept running, scaring others into leaving, and with no sign of help on the way, that's more or less it. Real shame, this used to be a nice place."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 01:31 PM
"And then Garral came? Was there anyone with him when he arrived?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 01:36 PM
"Garral has been here for a long time. He wasn't really anyone special, but with this latest struggle, he jus' come up and take charge. Really inspiring man, and you can just tell he's good. Not hard on the eyes either!" The old woman cackles out a laugh.

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 01:48 PM
"Oh, I see then. And have anyone arrive here after the Keep lighted up?"

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 02:58 PM
"Just one man; guy come to see if this place is in any danger. He told us that he'd go out and tell them that they needed to come sort it out. And then what? Nothing! He bloody well lied, that's what he did. Never got any word back after that."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 03:00 PM
"Interesting... I suppose you can't describe that fellow. If I ever see him, I'll ask him about it." Vardan smiles

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 03:04 PM
"I don't recall; it was quite a while ago. All I know is that he did nothing for us, and so far nobody has. We've been handling ourselves for a while though, nothing has come out of that keep, so we're safe for now."

Narmoth
2010-01-20, 07:58 PM
"I guess I will have to ask someone else...."
Vardan pauses for a while, then continues the conversation
"And the people here are mostly farmers, aren't they, or is there some other trades present as well?

Melamoto
2010-01-21, 02:55 AM
"No, none of that round here. This used to be a great big place, loads of people, not much call for farming. We're living off the remaining supplies, and what we can get. Sometimes we have a few of the tougher lads go out hunting."

Narmoth
2010-01-22, 12:38 PM
"Have you considered to evacuate?"

Melamoto
2010-01-22, 12:44 PM
"Everyone else already did that! Everyone here is staying put. We're all either too weak, too old, or too stubborn to move away from this place. This is our home, and no dead hero is going to take it from us!" During this moment of anger, you can hear that although frail, the old woman has fighting spirit left inside of her.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-22, 12:45 PM
Ildran

"Perhaps the man you sent is merely dead, not a deserter."

Melamoto
2010-01-22, 12:55 PM
"That's a grim thought. But who would have killed him, and how? Last we saw he was riding off back to Darkvale to alert his masters."

Narmoth
2010-01-22, 01:04 PM
"I'm sure we could help those who aren't to stubborn, only to sick, to move if that becomes necessary. We will talk with Garral and visit the Keep before that though."
Vardan has dismounted, and leads his horse as he walks next to the old woman
"So, is it a long way to Garral?"

Melamoto
2010-01-22, 01:16 PM
"No, not much further. Look, you can just see the roof of the Holey Bucket sticking above the other buildings there." Sure enough, where she points there is a tall building, which also stands out as the only building that looks upkept.

Narmoth
2010-01-24, 06:07 AM
Vardan leads his horse to the building and fins a place to tie it on the outside.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-24, 06:17 AM
Ildran

"So do we bow to this Garrel? Or something else? I'm not particularly bothered, but you seem to hold him in high regard, so I'll behave for now."

Narmoth
2010-01-24, 06:29 AM
"Personally, I'll take any information I can get before rushing in to the keep." Vardan says gravely
"For this whole affair seems rather fishy to me, especially the part with the spell. "

Vardan turns to Ildran, towering over him and looking him straight into the eyes:
"Most spell components reflect the type of spell that is cast, don't they? You can use prayer scrolls to improve healing spells, and many evil spells are augmented with the slaughter of innocents. Both symbolic ingredients, I would say. So what kind of spell do you think needs the killing of an incredibly powerful creature?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-24, 07:07 AM
Ildran

"Given the singular nature of the Tarrasque I couldn't possibly comment, beyond it being a Spell of such power that it will undoubtedly affect to the very fabric of the world."

The mas clothes shifting from blue to a gaudy orange and purple blend the Mage gives a smile.

"Of course since the Tarrasque is indeed unique no one has ever had a chance to exam it. For all we know it's heart could be about as useful as a window made of stone."

Narmoth
2010-01-24, 07:40 AM
"Well, let's go with that theory. What kind of spell would require a window of stone to be used?"

Falconknight06
2010-01-25, 12:45 AM
A spell to see through a mountain the Bard says with a forced smile. He is keeping his eyes peeled, taking looks around the town. Lylia uses her draconic senses to "feel" for anyone in the buildings around the group as they head towards the building the woman pointed at.

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 02:55 AM
"Or a spell to blind people. So I think we should find out how the spell works before hunting the beast"

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 03:23 AM
"Come on, just through here." murmurs the old lady, as she leads you through the door. Inside, you can see a few people sitting down on various chairs around the room. Their clothes are not rags, but they certainly look a bit old, and have a few holes in here or there. "We've got visitors!" the woman yells, drawing the attention of everyone in the room, and you can hear people in other rooms shuffling in to see what's going on. There are hushed discussions among the people, of confusion, distrust, and wonder. But then a voice, louder than all of the others, calls out from another room. "Well now, Visitors? I shall have to see this myself." Everyone seems to go quiet as the voice speaks. Coming down from the stairs is a man who looks in his late 50s, not very tall, but with a great look of strength about him, and an aura which leaks bravery and good will. His appearance shows ancestry of both humans and elves, but this draws no attention from the others. He seems to be cheerful, despite the obvious feeling of death on the air, and his appearance commands the others to be cheerful as well. It all gives a sense of calm, as if all Argor's Keep didn't exist at all. "Greetings and welcome to our village; I am Garral Picket. And you would be?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 05:59 AM
Ildran

"I just said that I have no way to figure out what the spell is, and frankly I'm not too bothered. If you want to try then by all means do, but his Abjurations are likely to be fairly potent."

As they go in Ildran's clothes change once again, blood red padded armour this time, with a belt of pure gold around his waist bearing a large eagle as the buckle.

"Ildran Khorvaire, freelance Mage and full time wanderer." He'll touch the wide brim of his hat to their host.

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 07:11 AM
Vardan looks over the gathered people, taking in every faint aura of good or evil surrounding them. He then looks straight in the eyes of Garral
"My name is Vardan. We're traveling to Argor's Keep, and therefore can look into if your village is in danger from the undead dwelling there"

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 11:10 AM
Vardan: You detect no evil.

Garral's eyes flash. "To Argor's Keep? You would be adventurers then." He moves over to a nearby empty chair and sits down. "Foolhardy adventurers..." He seems for a moment to be detached from the rest of the world. Shortly after, he comes back to normal, and says sternly; "There is no hope for you there. No treasure worth what you would go through. I strongly urge you to turn back, and not go to that place."

Falconknight06
2010-01-25, 12:37 PM
You would have a much better point if you knew what we were really here for sir. I agree fully with your assesment of adventurers often being foolhardy, especially when treasure is involved, but we're not here for treasure or the like. Aeric will say as respectfully as possible. He then bows deeply, removing his hat with a flourish and says my name is Aeric Faragin.

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 12:51 PM
Garral looks mildly surprised. "You have come for noble reasons then? That is good to hear. But like I said before, your good will not be enough. It is not worth wasting your lives in that place. All that can be done is to stand back and avoid gaining his ire."

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 02:25 PM
"Sounds like you have a very good neighborly understanding. Is that why so many people have fled this place?"

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 02:31 PM
"Argor is a monster, but as long as he does not know we are here then we are safe. Everyone else fled out of fear from his fortress giving off that light show; you must have seen it yourself by now."

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 02:36 PM
"Yes, we have. Do you have any idea why it started?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 03:50 PM
Ildran

"Potential death is only a factor when you fear death, or have a particular reason to keep living. I don't know about my companions young as they are, but I am not afraid of dying. I live only to learn, and Argor's Keep is something that I do not know about yet."

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 04:03 PM
"I do not know what has caused such a stirring. Whatever it is cannot bode well." Garral turns over to Ildran, and gives him a nod. "A fine philosophy. But are you sure that you would give up all of your knowledge so easily? How do you know that you would stand but a chance against Argor's legion?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 04:06 PM
Ildran

"I never implied that such a victory is assured. But take my word that when I die precautions have been taken that my knowledge will most definitely not be lost.

Why do you stay here, if leaving would be safer for all?"

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 04:07 PM
No legion is stronger than the intent that leads them Vardans voice is suddenly filled with pride and contempt, very unusual for the peace preaching man you've gotten used for him to be

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 04:28 PM
"We stay because either we have no choice, we just feel too stubborn, or we need to protect the ones who have stayed." Garral, seeing Vardan's confidence and pride, leans close to him, so that his face is almost covered with shadow. "I would not underestimate even that. Argor is a warrior of legend, come back from the grave with malicious thoughts and an undying body. He is more than a match for almost any on this world. What makes you think that you could defeat him? What strength do you possess?"

Falconknight06
2010-01-25, 04:37 PM
You seem to be under the impression that we are here to defeat this warrior. As far as I know it, we're here merely to speak with him, not cause trouble for anyone Aeric will say.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 04:38 PM
Ildran

"No choice you say, may I ask why? With respect it would seem to me that those too stubborn to leave seal their own fate, and so do not need protecting. But why would some have no choice but to remain on the brink of death?

And as for strength, I cannot say that we can defeat him for sure. But without massaging my ego too much, I'm a pretty powerful mage, so I'd say between us we have a better shot than most...should diplomacy fail of course."

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 04:40 PM
I've died. And was reborn. And there's only one person that has ever defeated me. Vardan speaks this with the pride of a warlord of legions, a warrior of renown, and unyielding fighter. Then he smiles a very rare smile, like to a distant memory of childhood:
"...well, it was a little girl... But I doubt Argor will have even half of her determination. " he goes on a bit more philosophically:
"After all: what has he to fight for?"

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 04:44 PM
"Then maybe you and him are not so different. He was one of the greatest warriors of the land. He was an unbeatable champion. And he met his end the same way you may end up meeting yours. He went in way over his head, and ended up dead for it. So why he is still walking around and gathering up soldiers, I cannot say. All I know is that he is beyond my might, and almost certainly beyond yours."

Narmoth
2010-01-25, 04:47 PM
I disagree. Still, it doesn't matter. I simply want to talk with him."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 04:47 PM
Ildran

"Maybe so, only time will tell. But you sidestepped my question about having no choice about leaving."

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 05:11 PM
Garral laughs quite loudly, in a friendly way, if ever so slightly sceptical. "You wish to talk to him? Well, I can see nothing I can say here will change your mind, so I can only wish you luck." He turns back to Ildran, with concern. "You do not look too young, but I'm sure you have not experienced true senility. Some people cannot just up and leave; to do so would be dangerous, maybe even fatal. The weak and the old could not move away, even with the aid of teleportation. It would just be too much. And so we look after and protect them, keeping them safe and well as best we can."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 05:28 PM
Ildran

"Well I won't disagree with you because I do not know your circumstances, but I have personally seen people older and weaker than myself do truly impressive things when it was necessary, including travel great distances. But that is neither here nor there. If you are satisfied that you have aided us as best you can or will, I believe we shall move on with our objective."

Narmoth
2010-01-28, 02:25 AM
"One more question though: has anyone traveled from here to the keep right before, or anytime after it started to light up?"

Melamoto
2010-01-30, 03:46 PM
Garral leans back on his chair, thinking. "Nobody I could notice. This is a big town, it would be hard to keep track of everyone who came in and out of here. I can say for sure that you'd be the only ones to arrive here since everyone left."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 12:05 PM
Ildran

"Then we take our leave. Good luck in your endeavour, I fear you may need more of it than I can give."

With that Ildran will bow and move to leave, his clothes turning into something very reminiscent of a tuxedo.

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 12:24 PM
"Thank you for your time"
Vardan heads heads for the exit

Melamoto
2010-02-02, 12:52 PM
"However impossible success may seem, I wish you luck on your journey. Be careful." With that, Garral gets up, and starts bringing everybody else inwards for the meeting.

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 02:30 PM
"Luck is for the weak and foolhardy. Courage and honesty is a far mightier weapon" Vardan states. Then he smiles:
"But thank you anyway"

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 02:40 PM
Ildran

Once they're outside Ildran will turn to his allies.

"Bit harsh, given their circumstances. So, shall we be off?"

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 02:58 PM
"Yes, as soon as we've come up with a plan, including contingency plans." Vardan turns stops and sits down on the ground
"What I propose is to try to talk with him first. That implies riding up to the keep and requesting an audience with Argor from his gurrd, who hopefully isn't simply an animated skeleton. We will need some reason for Argor to want to talk with us, which is a problem, since we still don't know what he wants...."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 03:17 PM
Ildran

"I'll assume you don't consider his imminent destruction if he refuses to help us a good reason."

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 03:29 PM
"Not really. First of all because it's in his rights not to talk with us. After all, I don't feel obliged to talk with everyone who approaches me. Why should he be obligated differently?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 03:39 PM
Ildran

"I suppose. Perhaps our goal will be enough, the death of the Tarrasque was his living mission, perhaps it has remained with him after death."

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 04:01 PM
"Yes, and if your goal was to marry the girl next door, you'll be really really happy if someone comes and asks for advice on how they can get married with her." Vardan points out sarcastically
"No, if we want to get him to talk, we shouldn't mention it. I'm not even sure if we should ask him about it directly at all."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 04:05 PM
Ildran

"Then what do you suggest oh master of diplomacy."

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 04:21 PM
"Well, if I though I had a good plan, I'd present it already. The problem is that we know nothing about anything that's involved in our mission.
Vardan snaps
Then, after a while he continues in a kinder and more somber tone:

Look: first of all, we don't know what spell our employer want's us to collect components for, and we don't know what the spell will do. In addition, we don't know where the loyalties of Quintus lay, and we don't know his goals.
Second, we don't know what Argors goals are, or how he returned as undead. We don't know who restored him as undead, and we don't know what the goals of whoever restored Argor are.
Third, we don't know if the Tarrasque will be possible to defeat, or if we simply bring it into a killing frenzy that will kill a lot of innocents, the same innocents that Quintus claims to work on the behalf of."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 04:27 PM
Ildran

"Then leave, if you are so concerned about everything. I don't rightly care what Quintus' aims are, nor do I care how Argor came back. A Tarrasque frenzy is a concern, but one that was implicit when we accepted our mission."

The old man will then cross his arms across his chest before arcing them down and outwards. Blue lightning crackles between his fingers as he goes, and a pair of translucent wings appear briefly behind him.

"I'm going to Argor's Keep to get that diary, if you get over your issues I'll see you there."

He bows and takes to the air, turning towards the keep.

------------
Cast Overland Flight (40ft Fly Speed, 17 hours duration).

Head to Argor's keep.

Narmoth
2010-02-02, 04:29 PM
"Sure, because as long as the other party is considered evil, we have to be the good guys, don't we?" Vardan sighs

Falconknight06
2010-02-05, 03:44 PM
Though that is usually the case, much the same way as saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I'm not sure whether we are the good guys or not in this scenario, and I can usually tell. I can't think of any story that would serve as an example for us in this situation. Aeric says to the holy man. He continues, the problem lies in your belief that we must have a plan for everything that might occur. That sheer amount of planning only leads to inaction. Plus, many of the greatest heroes are defined by their ability to adapt to changing situations, plan or no.

Narmoth
2010-02-06, 05:09 AM
"Great heroes, maybe..." Vardan smiles sadly
"But I'm not a great hero, and prefer to have a plan. After all, coming at the door and asking to speak with the owner, but not knowing what we want to speak with him about sounds rather silly."

Narmoth
2010-02-09, 04:25 PM
"Then again, I doubt it will be nessesarry. Even though Ildran isn't the best of diplomats, I expect him to have removed the guards I planned to talk to when we arrive. So I guess we can just head over to the keep and take a look at the situation"

Vardan unties his horse

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 01:13 PM
Vardan and Aeric
As you begin to travel, the sun lies low on the horizon, and dark clouds blot the sky. A light wind blows, and the horizon is black, save for the great pillar of fire in the distance.
As you travel, you pass near an abandoned farm, probably left by the villagers, with an ominous aura about it. As you pass close by, 5 hooded men emerge from behind a bush! They are wearing night black cloaks, embroidered with runes, and they each carry daggers. The man in the centre, who appears to be the leader, lifts something up, while the others call out dark chants. You feel the air grow colder and bite on your skin as the words echo on the wind, as the leading man pulls up from the ground, a pumpkin with a scary face carved into it. There is a short, awkward silence, before the men start looking at the pumpkin, seeming to be a bit confused. They hold it up to you, and make scary noises for a bit, before dropping the pumpkin and running back to the farm as fast as they can.OOC: You can act on this if you want; if you choose not to, then carry on.As the day goes by, the clouds gather up more. From the distance, you hear the occasional crack of thunder. The wind picks up strongly, and you have difficulty keeping steady. Rain whips your skin. The night is drawing close, and you feel tired. Up ahead in the distance, you see a series of hills by a forest, somewhere in which there may be protection from the storm.
Ildran
As you fly high above the ground, you have a clear view of the surrounding area. As you fly for a while, you see a farm beneath. It looks abandoned, but you can just make out a number of humanoid creatures in hoods, performing some kind of ritual. Using your knowledge of all forms of magic, you successfully determine that the ritual has no powers and makes no real sense. It is sloppily done, and even if it were done correctly, it has no magical capabilities whatsoever.
As you carry ahead further, you lose sight of Aeric and Vardan, and the wind begins to pick up. After a few more hours of travel, you can see clearly a number of hills ahead, through which a twisting river flows into a nearby forest. Far ahead, you can see Argor's Keep. It looks a lot closer than before, but further than initial estimates may have suggested. Just on the glimpse of the horizon, you see an old marsh. It looks old, wet, and boring. On your way, however, the wind eventually becomes forceful, and rain obscures your vision, and thunder lances down overhead.
Make a Fortitude save vs. The Wind.

Vol and Dane
This is not your day. First, you get sent to Argor's Keep with an off-shot teleport which lands your caravan and allies near some marsh. Then, as you travel alongside a river to find your way, the wind picks up. Then, as hills to protect from the wind come in sight, it starts to rain. Then, just as you have been trying to find shelter and try to settle down for the night, wraiths are appearing out of nowhere, killing your allies, and wrecking the caravan. No, today is really not your day.

Roll Initiative.

Narmoth
2010-02-10, 01:18 PM
Vardan picks up the pumpkin, wondering what it can be:
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-10, 01:21 PM
Vol

While the teleport threw him off, Vol had long since grown familiar with the whims of nature, and traveled rather unfazed. When the wraiths appeared, however, Vol dropped into a beastial combat stance, his claws sharp and his gauntlets ready to tear into the incoporeal creatures.

Initiative- [roll0]

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 01:30 PM
Vardan
Recommend you use spoilers for actions others can't see.

The pumpkin has a scary face carved on. Other than that, it is a normal pumpkin in every single respect as far as you can tell.

Narmoth
2010-02-10, 01:36 PM
Vardans actions:

"Impressive" he smiles. He then takes out a knife from the sleeve of his robe and cut's of the top to see if there's still food inside, or if it's carved out on the inside

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 01:44 PM
Vardan
The pumpkin is empty. Someone seems to have spent about an hour cutting it nice and smoothly, probably taking great pride in the work.

Narmoth
2010-02-10, 01:47 PM
Vardans actions
Vardan put's it in the saddle bag of the horse, and then continues walking

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 01:48 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1] (Gives +2 to Fort Save if 15 or higher)

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 01:53 PM
Ildran
As you travel further ahead, you end up flying straight over the hills. As you survey the surroundings, a noise hits your ear from below. It is very faint under the rushing wind, but you can hear the unmistakable sounds of battle.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 02:08 PM
Ildran

Wrapping his cloak around himself whilst in flight Ildran actually enjoyed the wind, it had been some time since he had been alone in the wilderness. The battle below intrigued him, and silently he cursed himself for not readying a scouting eyes spell this morning. So instead he paused, and muttering arcane he drew his hands together in an arc, and passed them over himself. As he did so his form wavered at the edges, before fading entirely.

Satisfied with his glamour he descended (keeping at a safe distance of course), and looked to examine the scene below.

---------------------
Cast Invisibility.

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 02:39 PM
Ildran
Tracking the source of the noise, you manage to locate a cave. Inside the cave, you see a number of floating, incorporeal, dark undead, among a number of dead bodies, and two still standing bodies. One, a tall looking man with golden eyes and silvery hair, wielding shining armour, a sword and a shield. The other, an even taller man with red eyes, wild brown hair, a feral appearance, and powerful claws for hands. The floating beings and humanoids seem to be at odds with each other, and the bodies look fresh.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 02:43 PM
Init: [roll0]

Dare I assume these are our new compatriots? If so should I wait for them to Initiative?

Melamoto
2010-02-10, 03:56 PM
Ildran
OOC: You would be correct in your assumptions, and we're still waiting on one to roll initiative. After that, I'll be posting you a battle map.

Narmoth
2010-02-12, 03:19 PM
Vardans actions:
Vadran says:
Let's see if we can find some shelter her for the night. I'm not tired, but I'd guess the horses are.

userpay
2010-02-12, 05:33 PM
(ooc sorry about that, I was still waiting on some info on spells to come through and didn't relize we had started, my cohort will start off in her human form)
Dane and Aria
A roar echoed through the night. Forewarned by his armor Dane and Aria go back to back. "Seems that more than the teleport has gone wrong dear." Aria remarked dryly. Though his face was hidden by his helm Dane smiled. "Yet we can't let these creatures run amoke any longer now can we?" Dane drew his sword and Aria settled hands outstreached.
Dane init
[roll0]
Aria init
[roll1]

Melamoto
2010-02-13, 04:31 AM
Dane, Ildran and VolInitiative:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Battle Map:
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/Melamoto/CaveBattleMap7.jpg
Dark Grey represents the inside of the cave.
Light Grey represents the edge of the cave.
Green represents outside of the cave.
Black represents the cave, and is impassible.

The letters represent you; this shouldn't be too hard to work out.
The wraiths represent wraiths.
...and the bison represents a bison. I had to really look for that image. Not what I was expecting to need.

Initiative Order:
Wraith #1
Wraith #3
Dane
Ildran
Wraith #2
Aria
Vol

Melamoto
2010-02-13, 04:34 AM
Dane, Ildran and VolQuickly, before anyone can react, the wraith on the left turns invisible, and the wraith on the right flies into the wall. The middle wraith, however, is a bit slower in his actions.

userpay
2010-02-13, 10:51 AM
Dane
Dane raises his hand towards the southern wraith. "Being from the false world, be purified in the light." The various holy symbols on Dane's equipment glow for a moment as light pools in his outstretched hand. A tightening of the hand sent the beam outwards.
searing light
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

Melamoto
2010-02-13, 11:44 AM
Dane, Ildran and VolThe light flies straight towards the wraith, but at the last second the wraith shifts its body, causing the light to fall harmlessly on the wall behind it.

Falconknight06
2010-02-13, 08:53 PM
Aeric and Lilya

Well that seemed a waste of good squash Lilya spoke up after the dagger men left, her prescence all but unnoticed on the walk. Though I must say that those men did have a certain flair for the dramatic that some bards could learn from she says as she playfully elbows Aeric in the ribs.

So I am supposed to be taking acting advice from hooded men with n o idea what they are doing? I'll keep it in mind my dear Aeric says to the young woman with a grin. He then turns to his other companion studying the pumpkin and asks, So what was all that about?

Narmoth
2010-02-14, 03:48 AM
Vardan (response to Aeric)

I think some of the people here have gone mad from the perceived threat from the keep

Vardan (repost of earlier actions for the sake of time continuity)

Melamoto:
As the day goes by, the clouds gather up more. From the distance, you hear the occasional crack of thunder. The wind picks up strongly, and you have difficulty keeping steady. Rain whips your skin. The night is drawing close, and you feel tired. Up ahead in the distance, you see a series of hills by a forest, somewhere in which there may be protection from the storm.

Vadran says:
Let's see if we can find some shelter her for the night. I'm not tired, but I'd guess the horses are.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-15, 07:47 AM
Ildran

Though it was technically none of his business, and frankly a little narrow-minded, the elderly mage had been taught a long time ago that men may be friends or foes, but undead are an enemy always. However he was not ready to involve himself directly, so in order to maintain his invisibility he began a moderately powerful conjuration to aid against the wraiths.

----------------
Begin Casting Summon Monster III to call a Celestial Bison.

Melamoto
2010-02-15, 02:10 PM
Dane, Ildran and VolAfter dodging the ray of light, the second wraith flies into the ceiling. Although none of the wraiths are in sight any more, you can hear cold, wailing voices moaning from inside the walls, and quiet whispers that echo, "...Hunt...Kill...Feast..."

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-15, 03:24 PM
Vol

As the wraiths vanish from sight, Vol growls slightly. "Be careful. They may approach from below." The shapeshifter then mutters a word under his breath and his cloak transforms into a pair of bird wings, before he flies back to the edge of the cave, elevating himself to allow him a chance to see the wraiths before they attack.

Activating my Wings of Flying, moving up three spaces to the edge of the cave and raising my altitude so that there is space between the ceiling, the floor, and Vol.

Narmoth
2010-02-15, 03:43 PM
Vardans actions:

By dm's request, as I actually was suspecting we'd be railroaded to meet the rest of the group anyway:

Vardan looks for a suitable cave or similar structure that will give them shelter:
Survival (1d20+5), Spot (1d20+7)
[roll0][roll1]
he also looks around the place to see if there's someone else in the area, and listens for sounds:
Spot: (1d20+7), Listen (1d20+5)
[roll2][roll3]

userpay
2010-02-15, 04:10 PM
Aria
Chuckles briefly as Dane's spell misses. "Quick little things arn't they dear?" She spreads her hands and appares to be waiting for something.Readying an action to cast magic missile at the next wraith that comes into los.

Melamoto
2010-02-15, 04:23 PM
Dane, Ildran and VolThere is a moment of silence, as the noises stop. A chilling feeling suddenly comes over Dane and Aria, as they realise an enemy is nearby; just before Dane feels a cold, invisible claw swipe straight through his chest, leaving no physical damage, but draining him of life.
Dane: Make a Fortitude Save
[roll0]
[roll1]

Immediately afterwards, another wraith flies out of the floor at Dane, but gets hit by blasts of energy flying from Aria's hands as soon as it appears. It takes the blast well, however, and takes a swipe at Dane, recklessly allowing him an Aria a hit. After attacking, the wraith hovers menacingly 5' above Dane and Aria.
Dane: Make another Fortitude Save
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dane and Aria may take their attacks of opportunity.

Falconknight06
2010-02-15, 04:40 PM
Aeric and Lilya

Response to Vardan

I agree. Those clouds don't look too friendly, and I'd prefer not to get wet unless we must Aeric responds

userpay
2010-02-15, 05:42 PM
Dane and Aria
Heres the bit for the missiles
[roll0]
Dane's forts
[roll1]
[roll2]
I really shoulda had Aria have her morningstart out to begin with, unless I can cast MM again without coping an AoE for the AoE then I'll have to decline hers. Attacking a wraith with bare hands cannot go well.
Dane AoE
[roll3]
[roll4]
Dane staggers from the blows but stands firm and raises the sword to tap the faceplate of his helmet (activating helmets ability, expending a turn/rebuke to pinpoint enemies within 10ft which should show the one that attacked me) whose symbol alit with a soft rosy glow. "I see you." He growls before attacking the unseen one.
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

userpay
2010-02-15, 05:43 PM
Dane
crit conferm
[roll0]

Melamoto
2010-02-16, 05:51 AM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
Dane
The Wraith is to the left of you and Aria
Also Dane: You didn't roll miss chances. I'll roll them here, 2 is a hit.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The first 2 attacks hit home, causing the wraith to shriek loudly and partially disperse for a moment, although the 3rd attack simply passes straight through the wraith's body.

Melamoto
2010-02-16, 05:55 AM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
One more thing I forgot to roll in the last post:
Dane, take [roll0] constitution damage.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-16, 12:07 PM
Ildran

Finishing his spell a golden bison appears near the back of the cave (so as not to reveal his location). The bison will launch itself at the nearest wraith, it's magical horns penetrating their incorporeality with ease.

---------------------
Gore: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Horns are treated as Magic weapons.

Melamoto
2010-02-16, 12:48 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The beast charges, but its horns narrowly miss the wraith's body. There is a slight pause after the beast is called, when a voice that can't quite be placed mutters a few words. A few echoes fall over the cave. Suddenly, a Wraith flies out of the ceiling at the edge of the cave, its gaze focused on something unseen, poised and ready to attack.

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-16, 01:35 PM
Vol

As the wraith descends from the ceiling, Vol turns and launches a flurry of strikes with his claws, his gauntlets sinking into the ethereal realm to tear at the ghost.

Full attacking the wraith to the up/right. My Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting allow me to ignore the miss chance, and I believe add 1d6 damage, but I don't have my MiC with me so I'm not certain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]

Melamoto
2010-02-16, 01:54 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The quick flurry of blows from Vol overwhelms the spirit creature, quickly reducing it to nothingness.

userpay
2010-02-16, 05:46 PM
Aria
Aria keeps a wary eye on the visible wraith and steps (5ftstep to d7) away trying to give herself some room, knowing that her morningstar will be useless. She raises her hands and casts another spell at the visible wraith, glowing darts flying at it.
Magic missile again
[roll0]
And just in case I need a concentration check due to coping an AoE
[roll1]

Melamoto
2010-02-17, 05:15 AM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The wraith takes a swipe at Aria while she casts, although it is not enough to stop the spell from being cast.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Make a Fortitude Save if the attack hits.

The Wraith is knocked back slightly by the spell, but seems mostly unharmed. In response to being hit, the invisible wraith takes another attack at Dane.
[roll2]
[roll3]
Make a Fortitude Save if the attack hits.

Meanwhile, the visible wraith turns to Aria, and its eyes flash red for a second. She feels an invisible force pressing down on her, trying to hold her still.
Aria must make a Will Save.

userpay
2010-02-17, 10:20 AM
Dane and Aria
I really shoulda gone for the deflection bonus...
Aria Fort
[roll0]
Dane Fort
[roll1]
Aria Will
[roll2]Dane staggers further as he starts to feel the effect of the wraiths touch but stumbles back towards a rock pillar (5ft step to g7). "Let us see," He pants. "just how much you like the purifying flames." He barnishes his shield as a prayer is intoned, a flickering corona of flames coming into being around it as he points to about where the invisible wraith is.
Casting Flame Strike I'm hoping to place it so that it hits both wraiths but avoid hitting anyone else like I think E5 should work.
[roll3]
reflex DC for half of 23
And con check in case I cop a AoE
[roll4]

Melamoto
2010-02-17, 12:09 PM
Dane, Ildran and VolAria takes [roll0] Constitution Damage.

[roll1]
[roll2]
Fort save if it hits.

The wraith swings at Dane to stop his spell, but to no avail. The pillar of burning fire stretches from the bottom to the top of the cave, catching the visible wraith in the blast, and by the sounds of the shrieks, the invisible one too.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-19, 01:05 PM
Ildran

Ildran moved into the cave and called on the Divine lore swirling around his head.

He tapped the Bull's horn before he mentally he ordered his Summon to charge again.

-------------
Cast Disrupting Weapon on the Bull.

Bull attacks one wraith.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Melamoto
2010-02-19, 01:24 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The Bison's Horns begin to glow, and it lunges valiantly (As far as bisons can be valiant) at the wraith. However, the wraith is much too quick, and quickly swirls away, dodging the blow.

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-19, 01:28 PM
Vol

Vol edges in towards the sole remaining wraith before launching another volley of vicious strikes.

5-foot step to D5, full attack on remaining visible wraith. I have reach from WS, if it matters.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]

Melamoto
2010-02-19, 02:33 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The Wraith takes almost every blow, and lets out an ear piercing screech of agony, as its figure becomes draped and weak, by this point looking as if it is held together with nothing but sovereign glue.

userpay
2010-02-19, 02:44 PM
Dane and Aria
Dane's fort
[roll0]
Aria back up a bit more (c7), face a bit white from the wraiths touch. With an oddly resounding growl she casts more missiles at the visible wraith, hopefully for the last time.
MM
[roll1]

Melamoto
2010-02-19, 03:15 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
The light of the bolts hit the body of the wraith and fizzle out. At first, the wraith rises up, as if to mount a counterattack. Suddenly, it starts shivering uncontrollably, and lets out a noise that almost deafens you, although somehow lower pitched than the previous screeching. It only lasts for a moment, however, before the wraith's form boils away into nothingness.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-19, 03:21 PM
Ildran

"Well that was fun wasn't it" says Ildran, completely forgetting he is in fact invisible. He mentally commands his bison to move towards him, blocking him from the other two.

Melamoto
2010-02-19, 03:35 PM
Dane, Ildran and Vol
As one invisible voice sounds, however, so does another. A cold, grating, hollow voice. "Glad...to see...you agree..."
Ildran feels a cold hand reach into his body from behind, as if to pull out his very soul.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
"I'll see...if I can play again with you...some time..." And with that, everyone feels the cold presence vanish, and only Dane is able to see the creature fly away.

userpay
2010-02-19, 05:00 PM
Dane and Aria
Dane stalks forward to where the unseen wraith had been, sword warily out as he considers the bison, having been distracted for his life to really pay much more than a glace at it before. "Who else goes there?" He calls out to where the voices had been coming from. Aria peeked around the side of the pillar to watch. "I'd rather not have to waste more divine power when its needed elsewhere so show yourself."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-20, 06:07 PM
Ildran

"Maybe then, you should explain why you desperately need this power and are fighting the Undead? Actually never mind I'm not bothered, Come Bessy! we have a Keep to conquer."

He moves out of the cave bringing the Bison with him.

userpay
2010-02-20, 08:19 PM
Dane and Aria
(ooc: I'm assuming since we were in a caravan together me and Aria at least know Vol in passing)

Dane frowns as he watches the bison walk away. Aria walks around to the north side of the pillar. "That is not to say we arn't gratefull for what aid you have provided." Dane walks around the west side of the pillar. "Just that I'd rather expend any strength that I could use towards healing than to pointless fighting. A teleport went awry and while our caravan was trying to find somewhere to rest the wraiths attacked." He paused. "For that matter I must see if anyone survived and heal if needed." He walks towards where the caravan had been, Aria keeping pace on the other side of the bull, though he glaces sidelong at where he thinks the speaker is. "Though if I sensed right the wraith hit you did it not?" Aria turns around almost playfully to look at the flying person. "Vol you coming?"

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-20, 09:02 PM
Vol

Even as the last wraith flew away, Vol kept his combat stance, wary about the disembodied voice. After hearing Dane's question, Vol's attention snapped to him. "Possibly." He then quickly flew ahead to keep up with the bison, shouting to make sure he was heard. "You! Voice! In my experience any keep a being such as yourself would be traveling to is most likely dangerous. Tell me of it."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 03:05 AM
Ildran

"You are mistaken, I was not engaged by the Wraith. And there's no need to shout, I'm not deaf. I head for Argor's Keep to the North on a deadly mission so terrifying you youngsters would crap your pants just thinking about it. Enjoy your healing, I know I do."

userpay
2010-02-23, 10:30 AM
Dane laughs. "Good sir I suppose you don't quite relize that I am a paladin in the service of Heironeous and Pelor, I have seen much in my time that would make most grown men cower." His hand tightens involuntarally. "Quite a bit..." He shakes his head. "But my first priority is to see to any survivors of the caravan and mayhaps after we see them to a safe location we can aid you in what endevor you undertake. Surely you don't intend to undertake it by yourself!?"

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-23, 11:49 AM
Vol

Vol glares in the direction of the voice. "Yes, because hiding and summoning random animals certainly shows your power, you can certainly destroy anything that may be in your way. And besides, if you really think youth is an issue..." Vol briefly lands before meditating, shifting his form to that of an older version of his current one. "Better?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 11:56 AM
Ildran

"Of course not, I have two allies who are fairly powerful, just a little slow of foot."

@Vol: "Such aggression in your tone, there's no need for it really is there."

However it dawned on him that accepting additional help may not be a bad idea, since they were working from their own initiative rather than Quentus' pocket it meant he would be paid the same but for a fraction of the effort. So with a thought he dismissed both his Summon and his invisibility spell.

As the golden bison fades an old man wearing green mage's robes and a chunky silver belt appears, floating 2ft off the ground.

"Ildran Korvaire, nice to meet you."

Melamoto
2010-02-23, 12:31 PM
Vardan and Aeric
As you navigate through the hills, you are forced to keep low and stay out of the open due to increasingly powerful gale blowing. Eventually, you see a cave large enough to serve as shelter. As you approach, however, you see a light coming from inside. As you look to identify it, you see none other than Ildran, floating in the air. He appears to be in the company of a tall looking man with golden eyes and silvery hair, an old man with red eyes, wild brown hair, a feral appearance, and powerful claws for hands, and a young woman with silver hair and silver eyes. Dead bodies litter the floor.

As Ildran turns visible, a small group arrives just outside the cave. A tall human with blue eyes, black hair, and a greatsword. A young looking man with elf-like features, dressed in a fine but function blue and green outfit. And a young woman wearing a basic tunic, with deep green eyes. And Ildran recognizes all of them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 12:36 PM
Ildran

Seeing his companions Ildran has to remark. "So I mention you lot and you just happen to turn up a moment later. What an suspiciously coincidental turn of events. Oh well you caught up eventually, shall we be off?"

userpay
2010-02-23, 01:26 PM
"Friends of yours Ildran?" Aria asks as the two come up. "If you need me I'll be looking for any survivors." Dane calls out walking around the area, Aria looks after him briefly before turning back to the two new arrivals. "Hello there. My name is Aria and Dane is the one who just walked off, a pleasure to meet you."

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-23, 01:38 PM
Vol

Seeing the appearance of the others, Vol shifts back to his normal, youthful appearance. He then reaches out a hand in greeting, shifting his claws into fingers. "Vol."

Narmoth
2010-02-23, 03:25 PM
(OOC: please notice that Melamotos description of my character, Vardan is wrong. Here's the right one:
"Vardan is a rather tall and muscular human male, with shaved head, a short black beard and long chivalry mustache gets up from his chair. He wears a plain and heavily worn gray robe, with a hemp rope for belt, and holds a walking staff in his left hand.")

"As far as I can tell, Ildran, you left on your own, disregarding the rest of us. I don't think you can expect us to behave as if nothing happened and simply accept your plan of action, a plan that at least I didn't commend in the first place.
The words are spoken with great authority, but somewhat tired, as a person who spends more time defending the arguments of his teachings than teach.

He then turns to the new faces:
"My name is Vardan. Are anyone of you in need of healing, I can help. Unfortunately, it's not in my power to bring the dead back to life."

Dm and aura detecting characters:

Vardans aura is a darkness that reaches out maybe a mile around him. In the dark sky, a bright star reaches out 72 bright projections that pierce the darkness and reach out to the edge of the aura
(He has both an evil aura and a good aura, and both are felt)

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 03:34 PM
Ildran

"Oh you're still upset about that. I thought Paladin's were supposed to be forgiving. If you're still going to argue about the mission we have been assigned, then there's no point us talking at all."

Narmoth
2010-02-23, 03:40 PM
"It is because I am forgiving, that I object to your plan of slaughtering all and everyone in sight that has been labeled evil and using force to gain the information that's needed. I can accept that you had to fight to defend yourself from the attack by undead, but assaulting their dwelling place for no other cause than that you need information that they guard is robbery and slaying them will make you no better than a highwayman slaying travelers for their gold" - Vardan replies in a stern tone

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-23, 04:15 PM
Vol

Vol quickly retracts his hand and shifts it back into a claw, before dropping into a battle stance and facing Ildran. "Wait. What is this about random slaughter?"

Narmoth
2010-02-23, 04:20 PM
Vardan smiles:
"You see, the keep is inhabited by undead that by any reports haven't attacked anyone. So the only difference between them and any town is as far as we know that they're all corpses. Now, that's certainly a bit unnerving, and the spells that keep them that way aren't good either, but that's hardly a reason for assault an execution, is it?"
Somehow Vardan isn't surprised by the metamorphosis of Vol. Then again, he doesn't look as the kind that is easily surprised by anything

userpay
2010-02-23, 09:30 PM
Aria nods to Vardan "My husband is a paladin as well, we both pay homage to Heironeous and Pelor. Tis why he is searching for any survivors before we tend to ourselves." She tilts her head. "And what task is this that you all are on?"

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 03:29 AM
"Actually, it's a bit of a misunderstanding that Ildran seems to propagate: you see, I'm not a paladin. Not anymore there's no sadness or bitterness in his voice.
"Now I'm simply a traveler. I was advised that the Archmage Quintus was searching for an item of power for a spell, and looked into it.
Vardan continues to explain in a calm voice as he looks around the cave to see if there are wounded, and not only dead left:
Although Quintus is claiming that the spell is for a good cause, I have doubts because of the item itself, which is the heart of a powerful beast, a spell component which certainly is associated with power, but not with good, and the method of obtaining the heart and information on the dwelling

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 09:55 AM
Ildran

"I have yet to see any proof as to why you think this creature's heart will do only evil? It is a monster's organ, not the soul of as Demon, and so is of neutral disposition, much like a cow. It may not be aligned with good but neither is it inherently aligned to evil, and while Quentus may not be the most polite man in the world, he is far from the villain you seem to be convinced he is.

But regardless I am not one to back away from my responsibilities, I have been assigned to obtain this information from Argor and that is what I shall do. Whether you join me or not is your choice."

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-24, 11:53 AM
Vol

Vol relaxes his stance slightly, still a bit on edge. "I don't claim to understand arcane magic, but I think Ildran has a point. The heart of a beast being used probably doesn't mean anything about the morality of a spell. Though I do disagree with the idea of killing a beast simply to steal one of its organs, if it is not doing anything to endanger innocents."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 12:00 PM
Ildran

"Ah it is there you misunderstand me. While the creature is not malevolent, it is certainly not benign. It's nature is to consume endlessly and give nothing in return. Quentus' spell will do much good, and I feel justified in the sacrifice of one creature which, while not intentionally evil, is naught but a blight on this world."

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 12:12 PM
"To fill in the wildcards: the creature is the tarrasque, and the plan seems to be to cut out the heart while the beast is incapacitated, as it would be hard to kill it for sure. It's more or less the same sensation as if I were to pull one of your arms of. Sounds as such a good deed. And this is to be used in a spell that I doubt will bring good. A spell that sounds more of a control spell than anything else."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 12:20 PM
Ildran

"Very well. I admit I can't do this alone, so we'll do it your way. What do you suggest?"

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 03:22 PM
"I propose to simply talk with him. After all, anyone can be persuaded given the right incentive. Then we should do a bit of research and find out what the spell is supposed to do. There can't be that many spells that require such a rare component. Knowing all the facts, it will be much easier to decide to attack the Tarrasque or leave it by."

Vardan seems very pleased with Ildrans change of heart

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 03:28 PM
Ildran

"Talking might work I'll give you that, but I should warn you that research won't. I can say with some degree of expertise that there's only one spell that needs that component; the one Quentus is readying, no one else has the resources or power to build a spell of this magnitude I assure you."

Eternal Kanus
2010-02-24, 03:35 PM
Vol

"For whatever you decide to do, would you need an extra hand? At the very least if this 'Quentus' ends out with less than noble goals it might be good to have some extra muscle nearby."

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 03:40 PM
"Yes, the more the merrier." Vardan smiles at Vol, then turns back to Ildran
"It seems plausible. But we know to little about that spell to be sure it actually does what Quentus claims it will do. Is there any possibility to research more about that spell?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 03:52 PM
Ildran

"I don't mean to be permanently pessimistic, but if I can detect those seeking information on a project of mine, which I can, then so can he. Why are you so sure that Quentus' intentions are unjust?"

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 04:02 PM
"Because power corrupts. Like leading an army leads to needless violence, and he himself said that the spell gave power enough to make kingdoms fight over it, and not only prosperity, which was what he put emphasis on.
suddenly Vardan looks not as a hermit or traveler or holy man, but a warlord who no one can withstand:
"I've been promised the exact same thing before: when everyone bowed down to my army" Vardans eyes flash up
"then I could make everyone obey my just laws and there would be plenty of everything for everyone, and my army would make sure that there was no theft, no murder and no fighting...."
Vardans face hardens, taking on the expression of a stern judge condemning the worst criminal:
"And my army conquered everyone and forced them to obey, harshly punishing anyone who tried to object. And those who resisted were slaughtered. That's why I'm no paladin anymore...
Vardan smiles a sad smile
"So you see, I know how even the most pious and respected man can turn to evil, and how good intentions can be twisted into nightmarish deeds. Especially if they involve great power. For power makes it so easy to remove the small obstacles for the greater good. But it's in the small and big deeds of every single person that good lies. Good can't be wrought on the scale of society, it is something that every last member of that society must decide for him or herself to devote to."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 04:13 PM
Ildran

"Then why did you agree to work for him instead of asking him direct? Even if you want to maintain his unawareness, you could have walked away rather than work for him. Paladin or not, working for the possible enemy doesn't seem like your type of thing.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya."

Narmoth
2010-02-24, 04:17 PM
"I did ask him directly, and just recall how unwilling he was to explain the exact effect and workings of the spell.
Vardan points out gravely.
And I'm not working for anyone. I'm simply accompanying the rest to observe and help out if you get in trouble or we discover that the intentions of your employer are far worse than what you suspect." Vardan states casually.

Falconknight06
2010-02-24, 05:38 PM
Well, talking has always been one of my strong suits and as for the spell that needs the component, I'm not sure worrying about that is worth our time currently. It is presumptuous to believe we can even best such a legendary beast, and that hurdle should be crossed before worrying about what our benefactor wants to do with it. The Half-Elven man will say to the bald man. As for introductions, my name is Aeric Silverleaf and this beautiful woman is...

My name is Lilya the young woman standing next to Aeric says, bounding up to Aria.

userpay
2010-02-24, 07:36 PM
Aria grins at Lilya. "A pleasure to meet you." Dane trudges up at that moment, face plate up and goggles hagging about his neck. Aria filled him in in quiet whispers about what they'd been talking about, his golden blueish eyes harden "I couldn't find any other survivors." He informs them. "And I'm rather against allowing any undead free reign..." He pauses a moment as he runs a finger on his sword's hilt. "And while Aria and I are of Heironeous and Pelor, we hold Heironeous in the highest regard. If the undead of this keep you journey to are benign then I will leave them as they are, if they are not... well I think you understand what we would need to undertake. And if this Quentus's intentions are not for good I'm sure next time you meet we can figure out what he intends."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 12:28 PM
Ildran

"One big happy family then. Shall we go?"

Narmoth
2010-02-27, 01:43 PM
"Yes, I'm afraid there's nothing more to be done here." Vardan takes a final look around before leading the horse out of the cave

userpay
2010-02-27, 02:04 PM
Dane looks between himself and Aria, both of them rather pale from the fight still. "Give me a moment and we'll be ready to go. I've haven't healed us from the fight yet." Dane begins to chant, warm yellow light gathering about his hands, to which he seems to repeat few times between touching either himself or Aria.
Doing lesser restoration 3 times each from me and Aria for con
Dane
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Aria
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Narmoth
2010-02-27, 02:22 PM
"You're sure you don't need a helping hand with that? I'm rather good at healing"

userpay
2010-03-01, 06:18 PM
As the glow finally faded the color had returned to Dale's and Aria's faces. "I thank you for the offer Vardan but it appears my husband has done it." Aria said with a stretch. "If no one else needs healing shall we head off?" Said Dane as he adjusted his goggles.

Eternal Kanus
2010-03-01, 06:35 PM
Vol

"I'm fine. Spirits didn't touch me. Which direction is the citadel?" Vol mumbles the command word for his cloak before launching himself upwards, looking around briefly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-02, 03:54 AM
Ildran

"When I came upon you the Keep was on my horizon through the mountains. If you can fly then I strongly suggest you do so. You may want to protect against the weather as well, while not a threat it's not exactly pleasant."

userpay
2010-03-03, 01:13 AM
Dane looks at Ildran. "Wasn't flying what separated you from your fellows?" Tis best if we all stay together no?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 05:37 AM
Ildran

"No it was their desire to talk to this abomination that separated us. I am an old man and have no intention of walking all the way there through these mountains when I can fly over them. I'll keep my speed down to match yours but there's no way I'm doing this on foot unless forced to do so."

Falconknight06
2010-03-03, 06:09 PM
Aeric

First, we have no proof that this man is an abomination and second, what is the problem with valuing diplomacy over barging in to an unknown situation, spells a blazing? Aeric will ask, slightly indignant

Elfin
2010-03-06, 01:29 PM
At last you take to the air, biting winds whipping about you; heading northward towards the eerie beacon, you pass over a grey, empty wilderness of moors and rocky hills, punctuated only by the winding of a lonely road.

At last, as the shadows of the mountains darken, you reach a deep vale, almost an enormous gorge, running straight into the peaks of the Sunspires; steep cliffs of dark rock shoot downward to the bottom. A rutted road leads inward, twisting through a low pass formed by the cascading feet of the mountains.

Half-finished, makeshift towers line the valley, seemingly patched together from stone and timber, and teeming with silhouetted, humanoid figures.
Further in lie great piles of raw materials, and huge quarries scarring the barren landscape.

And lastly, leaning against the face of a great mountain, is the Keep: a mighty bastion of black rock, half a dozen spires towering into the chilly skies. Unearthly white fire streams from the tallest of these, a torch of the dark gods brandished in a fist of midnight stone.

And that's when the shooting begins.

Though you are still far above the fortified valley, a hail of black arrows is launched from the towers below. They tear through the air like a rain of steel, falling long before they near you but sending an obvious message:

Argor will not stand to parley with the living.

Narmoth
2010-03-06, 02:16 PM
"Well, that's certainly cute..." Vardan smiles and dismounts, continuing on foot

Eternal Kanus
2010-03-06, 05:17 PM
Vol

After gazing at the field of fallen arrows, Vol turns and faces Ildran."It seems you were right in your assumptions." He then turns to face the others. "What is the best way to enter without being turned into pincushions? I'm agile but I still can't dodge a thousand arrows."

userpay
2010-03-06, 05:32 PM
Dane and Aria eye the field and look at each other. "Well I don't think even my armor could turn back that many... at least now theres no conflict in my mind between being peaceful or eradicating this undead being you spoke of."