PDA

View Full Version : People willing to EACH

Fortuna
2009-12-14, 01:50 AM
Hey all!

I have, to my eternal regret, seen a great many excellent ideas and concepts drop away from the front pages with barely any critique. While I accept that this is partly Darwinism in action, I feel that it is not a good thing. I therefore propose that all those who are willing and able to EACH say so in their signatures, so that people who feel that something that they have done really needs a look can PM them for help. I nominate myself as the first such person, although I am not as expert as I could be.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 01:53 AM
I'll do it.

TabletopNuke
2009-12-14, 01:54 AM
I agree. This is a big problem, and I would like to be part of the solution. I'll go add that to my signature right now.

Fako
2009-12-14, 02:39 AM
Count me in. I'm not good at noticing optimizing loopholes, but I can easily compare classes and monsters number-by-number to already published material...

Debihuman
2009-12-14, 07:58 AM
I'd rather EACH publicly than privately. I don't think bloating my mailbox with private messages is helpful. Rather, I use this as a teaching tool. It's not enough to say, "it's 23 hit points not 24" when the rule is that numbers are rounded down.

There are plenty of lurkers on this board who don't post but who read my edits and criticisms and are learning from them as well. I think the PM does them a disservice. Sure, they can see the final edited product, but I think the process of getting there should be available publically.

If someone is embarrassed about posting because he or she doesn't think his product is good enough, then it's more important to say publicly, "Post anyway. We'll help" and the more eyes looking at it, the better.

Edit: That said, I understand the embarrassment of non-native English posters who have difficulty with the language. Spelling and grammar have their place, but it is secondary to homebrewing.

It should go without saying that any PM sent to me would be kept in confidence. I still respect people's privacy.

Debby

DragoonWraith
2009-12-14, 08:03 AM
I'm in, sig updated.

Ponce
2009-12-14, 08:31 AM
A good idea, but I think that the sig should specify waiting until the homebrew in question has fallen off the first page without receiving any attention. It is simply a courtesy, you don't need to PM for attention if you already have a dozen or so posts on the homebrew.

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 08:40 AM
In.

Updated Sig.

DracoDei
2009-12-14, 03:02 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I care about this sort of thing a lot... I just am much more tired/depressed/overwhelmed than I was say... 6 months ago. I find it very hard to PEACH the settings that seem to be popular to post these days, and am probably becoming a bit jaded by repetition of concepts. Also, I just end up with "writer's block" or something...

Don't know if any of that helps.

Also, Debi: I agree that the response should be public, but the specific requests can be PMs....

DaTedinator
2009-12-14, 05:42 PM
I'm actually somewhat surprised at how much I like this idea. I'm in.

arguskos
2009-12-15, 12:18 AM
I'm in too. I am always up for such things. :smallcool:

Fortuna
2009-12-15, 01:43 AM
I'd rather EACH publicly than privately. I don't think bloating my mailbox with private messages is helpful. Rather, I use this as a teaching tool. It's not enough to say, "it's 23 hit points not 24" when the rule is that numbers are rounded down.

The idea is that rather than having to bump a thread looking for critique, someone would be able to PM one of us and we would go look at it and see what we had to say about it, which we would then post.

Shyftir
2009-12-15, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I'm in.

And thanks to dsmiles for performing said service for me!

Cyanic
2009-12-15, 08:14 AM
Tossing hat into the ring...

Eleven
2009-12-15, 11:00 AM
I'm in. Lets do this up.