PDA

View Full Version : Creation spells/powers

BooNL
2009-12-14, 03:03 AM
So, every once in a while I find a refence that spells and powers such as Minor Creation and Greater Creation are pretty good and cool.

What's so good about them?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 03:05 AM
Black Lotus Extract.

Edit: Also, turn the WBL chart into your napkin.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 03:11 AM
Let me rephrase that then: in what non-cheesy way are these spells any good?

arguskos
2009-12-14, 03:13 AM
Let me rephrase that then: in what non-cheesy way are these spells any good?
Oh, you need something material that you don't have to time to go buy? Make one. Or some. Or a TON. Suddenly need 15 giant boulders for some harebrained scheme? Make some, it's easy.

The Creation spells are limited by your imagination and needs, nothing else. So, you find yourself in a dungeon and in need of a large amount of acid for some reason. Have fun, make some.

Also, making poisons isn't really cheesy. Lots of stuff isn't affected anyways.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 03:22 AM
Let me rephrase that then: in what non-cheesy way are these spells any good?In what non-cheesy way is Glitterdust good? These spells make anything. Acid and Poison are just the easiest uses of it.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 03:28 AM
With cheesy I wasn't referring to the poison, but the WBL breakage. Which I assumed meant to create something really expensive and then sell it.

Given that you still have to have a small piece of what you want to create, you'd still have to know what you want to create in advance, correct?

I can see the potential of the spell now. For some reason, I thought whatever you created was basically useless (as per prestidigitation).

I also just noticed minor creation is either Wiz/Sorc 4 or Shaper 1. And I thought psionics were balanced!

Optimystik
2009-12-14, 08:14 AM
I also just noticed minor creation is either Wiz/Sorc 4 or Shaper 1. And I thought psionics were balanced!

It's also Cleric 4 with the right domain. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm)

A Shaper 4 has much better things to be creating (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm) anyway.

Studoku
2009-12-14, 08:19 AM
I think I saw a thread about using this to create a crapload of antimatter (using eschew materials, since antimatter has no listed cost).

This antimatter would be anihalated by regular matter releasing a ridiculous amount of energy.

Johel
2009-12-14, 08:42 AM
Also, making poisons isn't really cheesy. Lots of stuff isn't affected anyways.

It's not the "poison" part of the Black Lotus, it's the "price per gram" part.
You can sell it at low-price, prove its efficiency on some creature if the customer is sceptical and still make a huge profit.

Major Creation, CL 9 :
Since Black Lotus is vegetable matter, your 9 cubic feet of fake-but-nevertheless-potent poison will last a good 18 hours before disappearing. You'll have left town by then, with enough cash to cover your tracks and lay low.

EDIT :
Also good for Major Creation :
Kinetic weapons.
Nothing say "timber !!" like a 9 cubic feet volume of pure iron falling from the sky on unsuspecting villagers while you fly above their home.

Of course, the more efficient, coldly calculated version calls for an airship, a trap of Major Creation to mass produce melted gold into a iron funnel, at the end of which the melted gold is cut into small pieces, weighting roughly 2lb each. Fly 1.400 feet above target. It's raining gold and people are dying as each ingots inflict 20d6 damage to whoever or whatever they fall on before disappearing a few minutes later. Yeah...

hewhosaysfish
2009-12-14, 11:32 AM
Of course, the more efficient, coldly calculated version calls for an airship, a trap of Major Creation to mass produce melted gold into a iron funnel, at the end of which the melted gold is cut into small pieces, weighting roughly 2lb each. Fly 1.400 feet above target. It's raining gold and people are dying as each ingots inflict 20d6 damage to whoever or whatever they fall on before disappearing a few minutes later. Yeah...

I want to fling handfuls of gold into a crowd of beggars, watch them trample eachother to death in the scrum, then run away before it all vanishes...