PDA

View Full Version : Blink vs Displacement. What's the diff?

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-14, 03:32 AM
I'm picking out spells for a dragon villain. I can't decide between Blink or Displacement for a 3rd level spell. They both essentially do the same thing...do you guys have a suggestion?

It's an Old Black Dragon, if you must know.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 03:38 AM
Blink gives you a 20% miss chance, lets you resist area effects, gives you a +2 to attacks while denying the target Dex, and you can walk through objects.

I prefer Blink, but the 20% miss chance hurts enough that it's not clear cut.

Killer Angel
2009-12-14, 03:43 AM
I can't decide between Blink or Displacement for a 3rd level spell. They both essentially do the same thing...

:smallconfused:
The two spells are totally different.
With blink you go ethereal... you suffer a 20% miss chance on your attacks, but with a lot of goods from it, that Displacement don't offers: you take half damage from area attacks, you attack as an invisible creature, half damage from falling, step through solid objects, etc.

Usually I favor blink, but what to use depends from different factors.

EDIT: obviously ninjaed...

Fishy
2009-12-14, 03:46 AM
If it comes down to it, Blink's miss chance can be negated by Pierce Magical Concealment, which is probably a terrible feat tree for a dragon sorcerer.

I think a Ghost Touch weapon works just as well, but I don't recall exactly. Maybe Riverine.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-14, 03:51 AM
Blink's major advantage is that it takes 2 different things to negate its protection.

You need the ability to see invisible/ethereal, and the ability to hit ethereal creatures.

Displacement just requires the ability to penetrate illusions.

As the creature is treated as if it had total concealment for Displacement, blindfight and similar DO help for Displacement. They do not help for blink, by the text of the spell.

EDIT: Neither ghost touch nor riverine will help avoid the 20% blink miss chance if you are blinking, and attacking a material plane target.

Force and similar effects extend from material to ethereal. They do not extend from ethereal to material. It's one way only.

Transdimensional Spell would, however.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-14, 09:28 AM
as tempting as blink is....I think I'll give her displacement, since I do need her to carry somebody away.

Draxar
2009-12-14, 10:01 AM
IIRC there's an improved blink spell somewhere which gives you control of when you blink out.

Cyclocone
2009-12-14, 10:08 AM
IIRC there's an improved blink spell somewhere which gives you control of when you blink out.

There is -but it's 5th level.
You need an Ancient (or Very Old Loredrake) for that.