PDA

View Full Version : What class to play if I'm immune to damage?

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 09:15 AM
The Question; What classes should i take with a damage immune character with +8 (if my math is right) level adjustment, in a high level game?

The Premise; One of my friends wants me to play in an "Epic" game. Not sure if he meant 21 epic or 100 epic. But that aside the rest of the group are basically noobs (non-optimizers) but i have a rep to protect so i'm going for rediculousness over effectivness.

SO I WANT TO PLAY A,
Half-Clay Golem Lernean-Multiheaded <humanoid> with some class levels. Must be killed by cutting off my heads with a slashing weapon and slashing and magic immunity. I should be basically immune to damage at that point. (please point out any oversights also)

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 09:20 AM
Ummm....what?

Shademan
2009-12-14, 09:24 AM
mink. because...pssssh why not

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-14, 09:24 AM
You need immunity to debilitation. Immune to death by damage? Well, eat nigh-infinite nonlethal damage. Or domination. Or Petrification. Or teleportation someplace obscenely far away.

InaVegt
2009-12-14, 09:30 AM
You need immunity to debilitation. Immune to death by damage? Well, eat nigh-infinite nonlethal damage. Or domination. Or Petrification. Or teleportation someplace obscenely far away.

That's where to immunity to magic comes into play.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 09:31 AM
Yes I know I'm not immune to effects that don't allow SR.

Also i was thinking of monk also, cuz why not? All good saves are my friend.

deuxhero
2009-12-14, 09:37 AM
Are you imune to ability damage? If not, watch out for shivering touch (doesn't allow SR IIRC), so become immune to cold damage (then watch out for energy subed ones)

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 09:43 AM
A frontliner of some type is a good idea. An ubercharging fighter with Leap Attack + Shock Trooper is a particularly good idea, since dumping your AC does not in any way matter, because you're immune to damage. Paladin and Monk levels for good saves would be smart, and Steadfast Determination is a feat to take. Get a Ring of Universal Energy Resistance or Immunity.

Prime32
2009-12-14, 09:48 AM
^ This.

Play as offensively as you can - once your enemies realise how well-defended you are they'll just attack your other party members instead, so you'll suck as a tank.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 09:55 AM
Or given that it's epic, Wizard 21?

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 10:06 AM
Also Multiheaded takes away dual wield panalties.
Is that worth taking advantage of or is just power 2-hand power attacking always better?

Frog Dragon
2009-12-14, 10:08 AM
Twf sucks mostly because of feat investure. If you don't need to do that, it becomes a pretty good option.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-14, 10:38 AM
Or given that it's epic, Wizard 21?

This. You want to be ridiculous in epic? Get epic spellcasting then take pure commoner levels afterward just to grind home the point that you can now pretty much write your own rules.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 10:40 AM
This. You want to be ridiculous in epic? Get epic spellcasting then take pure commoner levels afterward just to grind home the point that you can now pretty much write your own rules.

Chicken-infested and an epic spell that turns said chickens into walking nuclear bombs?

Temet Nosce
2009-12-14, 10:51 AM
Chicken-infested and an epic spell that turns said chickens into walking nuclear bombs?

Heh, Chicken-Infested with arbitrarily high Fortify to everything. You don't want to piss off the Chickens, you really don't. (Zelda memories)

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 11:23 AM

"Yeah, after I achieved god-like power and better than godly physical immunity I decided to retire and raise some chickens."

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 11:38 AM
But really what the fun then? I could lol around with epic spell casting, but then again i could just play a dragon wrought kobold and do that at what ever level i want. After playing for years, killing another BBEG with save or dies or teleporting him away or turning into a <insert scary here> or blasting him to bits has kind of lost it's charm. so :smallsigh: at you silly casters.

Grumman
2009-12-14, 11:51 AM
Wu Jen 6 / Incantatrix 2 / gish 12 / Rogue 1 / Arcane Trickster ?.

Get X*Y damage immune clones that last all day, where X is your number of Lvl 7 or higher spell slots and Y is your caster level divided by 5.

Random832
2009-12-14, 11:51 AM
but then again i could just play a dragon wrought kobold and do that at what ever level i want.

Um, you do realize that you still have to have access to ninth-level spells, right? The dragonwrought/venerable thing only gets you around the epic requirement.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 11:55 AM
Um, you do realize that you still have to have access to ninth-level spells, right? The dragonwrought/venerable thing only gets you around the epic requirement.

Vigourous use of the animal husbandry skill

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-14, 12:06 PM
DMM Heighten + Dusk Giant skill rank abuse?

erikun
2009-12-14, 01:47 PM
I don't think that grants you immunity to damage. Rather, it grants you immunity to death from weapons. You can still be subdued to unconciousness just as well as anyone else. Unless I miss my guess, Half-Golem still leaves you humanoid (and with a CON score).

Also, does the Half-Clay Golem have immunity to slashing damage, or just damage reduction to slashing? Because if it is the second, anyone can simply coup de grace you with a large enough sword.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 01:54 PM
Any way for you to get Fast Healing on that list?

Flickerdart
2009-12-14, 02:06 PM
Your heads can still be lopped off and cauterized with fire. Figure out some way to get a Fire Giant chassis and you'll be extra-safe.

Reaper_Monkey
2009-12-14, 02:17 PM
I should be basically immune to damage at that point. (please point out any oversights also)

You can die from non-typed damage, ability damage, fall damage, massive damage (from falling, at least) and are vulnerable to some magic which doesn't grant spell resistance.

You still need to eat, drink and breath. As such you can still starve, dehydrate, suffocate, drown. As such you can also be knocked unconscious with non-lethal damage or restrained through mundane means and then killed with one of these methods.

So, you need to be able to counter these with whatever class you go. Oh, and convince your DM that being indestructible means your still alive even though your character sheet just got put through the shredder. :smallbiggrin: Good luck.

Prime32
2009-12-14, 02:24 PM
If you really want to not die, try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587).

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 02:55 PM
Become undead or a construct (Green Star Adept anyone :) ) to get around that 'can starve' and 'can be subdued' stuff.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 03:15 PM
Also Multiheaded takes away dual wield panalties.
Is that worth taking advantage of or is just power 2-hand power attacking always better?

Twf sucks mostly because of feat investure. If you don't need to do that, it becomes a pretty good option.

You speak as if you can't 2-hand *and* TWF. Use a 2-handed weapon and armor spikes.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 03:16 PM
You can die from non-typed damage, ability damage, fall damage, massive damage (from falling, at least) and are vulnerable to some magic which doesn't grant spell resistance.

You still need to eat, drink and breath. As such you can still starve, dehydrate, suffocate, drown. As such you can also be knocked unconscious with non-lethal damage or restrained through mundane means and then killed with one of these methods.

No really a good way to get around falling damage, sadly. I can fail a will save and be a true construct to take care of massive damage (and ability damage?) and the whole breathing thing and non-lethal damage. prolly still not worth it but i might look at it. elemental resist/immune items should be able to take care of what spell immunity can't. Non-lethal is still typed (s/p/b) or am i mistaken.

I still have the option of any living creature to put as a base race so that leaves a lot open. VoP could take care of eating (breathing? sleeping?) but would prolly cause more problems.

Also Half-Clay golems are IMMUNE to slashing and peircing so no lopping off heads. THATS THE POINT! :smallwink:

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 08:39 PM
Any living creature? Be an Elan! One power point per day takes care of eating and drinking.

quillbreaker
2009-12-14, 08:46 PM
I say bard. Say that the fame of your works and the reverence of your fans has made you immortal. Challenge others to prove otherwise.

Brendan
2009-12-14, 09:06 PM
Looks fun. wear a ring of sustanance and a ring of epic resistance to cold. take any AC draining flaws and gain some good feats. However, you forget that the mountain hammer chain of stone dragon maneuvers overcome DR and immunities. For those, just have good constitution and hit die. There might be some spells that get rid of immunities. wear an item that makes you reflect spells. Tarrasque carapace armor?

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 09:25 PM
move earth, disintegrate, earthquake

Those spells screw me over, how do i get the earth subtype to immunize myself. (for 2 of 3 any way)

I don't trust my DM be as polite as i am when designing enemy casters.

AgentPaper
2009-12-14, 10:05 PM
Depending on what level the game is, you might want to check out the Ikea Tarrasque for some ideas. If nothing else, you could get to work on making some, if you can't make yourself into one.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-15, 02:35 AM
move earth, disintegrate, earthquake

Those spells screw me over, how do i get the earth subtype to immunize myself. (for 2 of 3 any way)

I don't trust my DM be as polite as i am when designing enemy casters.

Half-Earth Elemental will get you the [Earth] subtype for LA...+3, I think? Between +2 and +4, anyway.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-15, 08:23 AM
Depending on what level the game is, you might want to check out the Ikea Tarrasque for some ideas.

I hadn't seen that thread before, but they talk about most of the ways to kill this character (which i'm fine with).

For class i'm currently thinking Whirling frenzy Lion totem (pounce) barbarian with a fighter dip prolly. The Berzerk ability from half golem stacks with rage so thats fun. Also i'm going to pick up Oversized dualwield and some other 2 wep feats and Shock trooper line of course.

Depending on my DM's Campaign I might take Goliath as my base race + titan blood line + Giant born + Joutenblout feat (if some one can clarify that feat i have only seen it on these forums). Given sifficient levels i'll be wielding as a collasal creature and invulnerable.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-15, 08:34 AM
If playing an epic character that is immune to damage racially, I'd suggest using classes that deal damage to yourself to deal more damage to another. Hellfire Warlock and Tainted Scholar are examples of such. Kind of like a free abusable effect. Granted, Epic Spellcasting defeats this instantly, but its more in leau with the heart of this question.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-15, 08:36 AM
If playing an epic character that is immune to damage racially, I'd suggest using classes that deal damage to yourself to deal more damage to another. Hellfire Warlock and Tainted Scholar are examples of such.
If you're immune to ability damage, Hellfire Warlock's abilities no longer function.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-15, 08:49 AM
First of, love the Zim reference above me! Second, Wizard and it's PrC's all the way. At level 21 with a mythal, a Wizard has fewer vulnerabilities than Fort Knox.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-15, 08:54 AM
If you're immune to ability damage, Hellfire Warlock's abilities no longer function.

Thanks for correcting me! I meant to use it only as an example, not a suggestion. I much prefer Tainted Scholar

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-15, 09:32 AM
I'm not going wizard, end of story.

Really guys it's gotta be trolling or spamming or somthing to put "be a max available level wizard" as a response to every thread that involves a question on what class some one shold play. i understand that if every one in my party was a wizard we'd be doing great but that is not in the least interesting for any one.