PDA

View Full Version : 4th ed sorc question

incubus5075
2009-12-14, 01:22 PM
With a chaos socerer's atwill chaos bolt you get to roll again if your attack roll is even. It says the second attack does 1d6 do I add all my other static mods and just not add in my CHA mod? I currently do +27 on static mods with +6 of that coming from CHA mod, so I would do 1d6+21?

Also What is an interesting rogue drow build (not opimized ie daggermaster)? I am thinking a swashbuckling type with a rapier and hand x-bow. I usually DM and one of my players wants to give DMing a go so I'm rolling up a striker to take his spot. We're lvl 13 so what are you guys ideas?

Aron Times
2009-12-14, 01:43 PM
Yes, you do add all of your static mods to secondary damage rolls. This is why multiattack powers tend to be better than multiple [W] powers.

In this case, you would add your Dexterity +0/2/4 (heroic/paragon/epic) and your implement enhancement bonus to your secondary attack damage rolls for Chaos Bolt and your other powers.

I can PM you the build for my rogue crossbow sniper based on Special Agent Gibbs from NCIS. He wields a superior crossbow and can sneak attack from over 300 ft. away with no penalty at level 11.

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 01:44 PM
Also What is an interesting rogue drow build (not opimized ie daggermaster)? I am thinking a swashbuckling type with a rapier and hand x-bow. I usually DM and one of my players wants to give DMing a go so I'm rolling up a striker to take his spot. We're lvl 13 so what are you guys ideas?

...Um, that. Don't forget to take the two-fisted shooter feat so you can reload your hand crossbow while wielding your rapier.

Also, there's a few good feats and powers available in Dragon magazine for swashbuckler-type Rogues if you have a subscription.

incubus5075
2009-12-14, 02:38 PM
Yea I seen the Duelist Rogue release and thought the rapier feats helped it out alot as a weapon. On a curious note how do rogue blast attacks work. For example the one that is blast 3 where you can hit all enemies with your crossbow attack. That seems unbelivable seeing that you have to reload and I'll be having a melee weapon in my other hand...

erikun
2009-12-14, 02:42 PM
Shotgun crossbows, clearly.

Other than that, any class that uses DEX or STR/CHA (depending on build) as a primary stat is a canidate for multiclassing. Warlock can grant you some interesting powers to aid in hiding, while Ranger gives some alternate bow powers. Something like Paladin might seem strange, but they do have healing and ways to penalize defenses.

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 02:43 PM
Yea I seen the Duelist Rogue release and thought the rapier feats helped it out alot as a weapon. On a curious note how do rogue blast attacks work. For example the one that is blast 3 where you can hit all enemies with your crossbow attack. That seems unbelivable seeing that you have to reload and I'll be having a melee weapon in my other hand...

It's accounted for in the power. Says so right in the description of the "Reload: Action" property.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-14, 04:00 PM
Also What is an interesting rogue drow build (not opimized ie daggermaster)?
Brutal rogue does the most damage, canny rogue is harder to hit, that thug variant from Martial Power simply sucks.

Pick any paragon path and go from there. The daggermaster may be the most powerful, but there's a fun one that gives you a lot of invisibility, right in the PHB.

jmbrown
2009-12-14, 04:07 PM
In case you don't know (and I like reminding people about it) about the sorcerer's chaos bolt, don't overlook the fact that it targets "creatures" which doesn't differentiate between allies and enemies. I've had my fun as DM watching a party get ripped apart by an unlucky series of rolls.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-14, 04:19 PM
the fact that it targets "creatures" which doesn't differentiate between allies and enemies.

But of course. The "push everyone if I roll a one" effect also targets everyone. That's part of the fun; if you don't like that, don't play a chaos mage.

The good point is that you can bounce it off an ally to a farther-away enemy.

Aron Times
2009-12-14, 04:45 PM
A certain Wizards employee confirmed in CharOP that Chaos Bolt's secondary attack is optional. He happened to be the person who designed that spell.

This happened before the new forums were in place, so I'm not sure I can find his post.

jmbrown
2009-12-14, 04:47 PM
A certain Wizards employee confirmed in CharOP that Chaos Bolt's secondary attack is optional. He happened to be the person who designed that spell.

This happened before the new forums were in place, so I'm not sure I can find his post.

Optional upon casting or optional as in "I can activate it when I roll good and deactivate it when it backfires?" Unless it's officially added in the errata I'm going to soundly ignore it as no other powers with secondary attacks (that I know of) are optional.

Edit: Well, secondary attacks are optional (otherwise a fighter would be hitting his own teammates every time it said "make a secondary attack") but if you have wild magic you're not given the choice in the matter. You roll an even and you attack the nearest thing.

Aron Times
2009-12-14, 04:54 PM
Actually, I support the "wild magic is chaotic" interpretation, but according to the RAW, secondary attacks are optional. So you can bounce Chaos Bolt to allies if you want to, but you don't have to.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-14, 05:00 PM
Actually, I support the "wild magic is chaotic" interpretation, but according to the RAW, secondary attacks are optional.

Where does it say so in RAW?

I note that some powers say "you can make a secondary attack" whereas others say "Make a secondary attack". It would seem that the former would be optional, and the latter would not. Wouldn't be the first time that a designer's intent wasn't what was printed in RAW.