PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to basic!

UserClone
2009-12-14, 01:32 PM
Just so that no one might wonder where I've gone (or who I am), I'm that guy that shipped off to US Army basic training on January 4th. :smallbiggrin:

Escef
2009-12-14, 01:35 PM
Well, remember that they do a lot of stuff just to mess with you. Most of the time time it isn't vindictive or anything, they do it to everyone. When they tell you that mass punishment ends after basic, they're wrong. They keep doing it in AIT, and some regular units do it too.

What's your MOS?

RS14
2009-12-14, 01:36 PM
Good luck. Stay safe.

Are you going to be in the Infantry, Artillery, or what?

pendell
2009-12-14, 01:47 PM
Good luck!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 02:00 PM
Good luck with that. Been in 14 years now, and I'll be here another 6 at least. It a good job, if you can keep a thick skin.

thubby
2009-12-14, 02:11 PM
try to come back in one piece.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-12-14, 03:51 PM
Congratulations! If you need some motivation, read Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

SDF
2009-12-14, 04:11 PM
Score awesome on the ASVAB, take the language proficiency test and get a top secret clearance. Get you a good job, probably a safe one, and very valuable back in civ life.

wxdruid
2009-12-14, 06:48 PM
Good Luck, Have Fun and most of all, survive! :smalltongue:

UserClone
2009-12-15, 12:08 AM
Well to answer a few of those questions, I got a 98 on my ASVAB, I already have a secret clearance and my MOS is 31E (MP: Correctional Officer). Yeah, can't wait to get OC-sprayed in the eyeballs, lol.

However, while I'd love to take languages and deal in intelligence or interpreting type of things, there are no slots available in CT currently (I am National Guard), and you need to have college for that first. So starting out, I'll be working my regular job, doing the Guard, and going to school as much as I can manage.

Thanks for the kind words! :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2009-12-15, 12:17 AM
It always warms the cockles of my cold, black heart whenever I see someone joining up. I won't even hold it against you that you're MP.
... Well, not that much. :smalltongue:

Well, remember that they do a lot of stuff just to mess with you. Most of the time time it isn't vindictive or anything, they do it to everyone. When they tell you that mass punishment ends after basic, they're wrong. They keep doing it in AIT, and some regular units do it too.

What's your MOS?

... You mean there're units that don't do mass punishment? ;_;

Well to answer a few of those questions, I got a 98 on my ASVAB, I already have a secret clearance and my MOS is 31E (MP: Correctional Officer). Yeah, can't wait to get OC-sprayed in the eyeballs, lol.

However, while I'd love to take languages and deal in intelligence or interpreting type of things, there are no slots available in CT currently (I am National Guard), and you need to have college for that first. So starting out, I'll be working my regular job, doing the Guard, and going to school as much as I can manage.

Thanks for the kind words! :smallbiggrin:

Aww, it's a Bacon Bit. You guys kept running over into our chow time at Leonard Wood.
A 98, eh? Bugger, you got four percentile points than my redlegged self. What's your GT score?

Escef
2009-12-15, 01:05 AM
98 is damned good. I 99'd it. I know several people who scored high 90s, but then, I'm in intel. We're famous for being really smart and having no sense.

I went to basic with a guy who got a... 28, I think it was; he went into a construction MOS. Guy was teachable, just that he'd never learned much of anything before.

UserClone
2009-12-15, 01:24 AM
Yeah you need a 31 to pass nowadays; I was pissed I got a 98, actually. I effed up a math question, though I'm not sure which one. Like I said, I would've happily gone intel but there were no available jobs in the CT Guard.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-15, 02:39 AM
Yeah, as mentioned before, BCT and AIT are chock full of head games. Don't let 'em get to you. Your time in training will crawl while you're there, but will seem exceedingly short once you're done. Just do exactly what they tell you exactly when they tell you and you'll be alright. Best of wishes to you, soldier.

*salute*

UserClone
2009-12-15, 11:17 AM
*salute*
Thanks again, all.