PDA

View Full Version : Can one really build a gun that shoots orbs of annihilation.?

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:09 PM
So, the same guy who wants to become the father of a half-beholder has recently proclaimed his intent to construct a gun that could fire orbs of annihilation. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I am concerned he will find some obscure source book, so, is it actually possible to build such a gun?

nightwyrm
2009-12-14, 03:10 PM
So, the same guy who wants to become the father of a half-beholder has recently proclaimed his intent to construct a gun that could fire orbs of annihilation. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I am concerned he will find some obscure source book, so, is it actually possible to build such a gun?

Does your player play Warhammer 40K?

Tavar
2009-12-14, 03:11 PM
There's nothing like that to my knowledge. Orbs of Annihilation are Artifact level, thus only the DM can give them.

SurlySeraph
Um... maybe? He could get a Spell Turret or some other magic trap that casts Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, but that would be a hefty investment if it's possible at all and probably wouldn't be portable.

Tyndmyr
There's a ninth level spell in SpC that works essentially like that.

So, grab the spell turret or autoresetting trap rules, and have fun.

Oh wait...you're worried about it. Never tell him about this site.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 03:14 PM
and probably wouldn't be portable.

*anything* can be made portable.

I suggest the use of immovable rods built into a pivoting base for support while in use, and the extradimensional storage of your choice for transit.

Expensive though...yeah, it will be.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:15 PM
But, he can't aim it at the very least, right? And he can't carry around more then one shot, right? Right? :eek:

Eurus
2009-12-14, 03:18 PM
Er... Spheres of Annihilation can be moved by pure thought. What, exactly, is the benefit of building a gun for one?

erikun
You can build a magical trap that resets itself, yes. Put it into a wall on a Tenser's Disk, then just turn the disk facing whatever you want to fire it at.

Mind you, making a permanent, 1 round resetting, 9th level spell trap will probably end up well over the WBL for a 20th level character. But yes, it can be done.

Weimann
Really, just tell him that it wouldn't work. You ARE the DM after all.

Just make sure you tell him before he spends untold fortunes on an item that clicks.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 03:20 PM
But, he can't aim it at the very least, right? And he can't carry around more then one shot, right? Right? :eek:

That's why the rods are in a pivot mount. They support the weight while he aims with ease, making weight mostly irrelevant. There are cheesier ways, using shrink and so forth, but hey, shoulder mounted doom cannons are better than wrist mounted ones, on the basis that oversized weapons are cool.

And no, using a spell turret or repeating trap, I believe it could fire once per round.

Bonus points if you give it auto-aim ability.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 03:21 PM
Mind you, making a permanent, 1 round resetting, 9th level spell trap will probably end up well over the WBL for a 20th level character. But yes, it can be done.

This is the real limiting factor. See artificer in eberron: "Nothing is impossible. What you desire is merely expensive."

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:31 PM
Well, at the very least, the orb will destroy anything containing it, and the user, right? It cannot be contained?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 03:32 PM
Mmm? Nah, it creates orbs fired in the desired direction. It doesn't actually hold them. Otherwise, finding ammunition would be a real pain.

Edit: I wouldn't seriously worry about this as a possibility until epic levels, when frankly, it's not that obscene anyway. Reasonably cool, though.

Tavar
2009-12-14, 03:34 PM
Well, keep in mind that Tyndmyr is talking about a spell, the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction. The Orb of Annihilation is different, and much more powerful.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 03:35 PM
Well, lets use the silly guidelines for making a magic item. First of all, the spell we want is Sphere of Ultimate Destruction in Spell Compendium. It's a 9th level Wiz/Sorc spell, so we'll be casting it at CL 17. Lets say we want a slotless use-activated magic item of it. Lets see: It has no XP cost and no Material component costs.

So that means our 'gun' is (Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000)*2 GP or (9*17*2000)*2 or a 'mere' 612,000 GP. Slightly below a 20th level character's WBL.

Lets say you want a gun that requires 13 ranks in Spellcraft, Chaotic Neutral alignment and Wizard class to use.

-10%/-30%/-30% leaves us with a resulting cost of only 269,955 GP. In exchange, you deal 34d6 damage to any creature shot by the orb which lasts 17 rounds after being fired.

This is why magic item creation is a series of guidelines, not rules.

In short: Yes, it's possible. But the question is: Do you, the DM, want him to make it? If not, then he fails to make it regardless of any rules or guidelines that say it's possible. If so, then he very well could make it. Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether it's appropriate for your game or not.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:35 PM
Well, keep in mind that Tyndmyr is talking about a spell, the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction. The Orb of Annihilation is different, and much more powerful.

That is exactly what he wants, to have a gun that shoots Orbs of Annihilation.

Superglucose
2009-12-14, 03:36 PM
Bonus points if you give it auto-aim ability.
Make it a "True Strike" trap that's animated.

BRC
That is exactly what he wants, to have a gun the shoots Orbs of Annihilation
Well he can't have it. The Orb of Annihilation is an Artifact, which means he only gets it if the DM wants him to, and even if he has it he's not going to get more than one.

To put it another way, No, I do not believe he will be able to find a way to shoot Orbs of Annihilation unless the DM explicitly makes a way for him to do it, and even if he does, the DM can nix it.

SurlySeraph
Well, the way to do this is with the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction spell, which isn't exactly a Sphere of Annihilation; it summons a sphere that does I think 40d6 damage, save for 5d6, to anything it comes in contact with, lasts I think rounds per level, and can be directed to a new target as a move action. You can't store it in a container, unless said container has enough hardness to resist 40d6 damage, and I don't know of any material that can do that. I don't see any reason why it would destroy its user, though.

To make it something resembling sane, I'd rule that the trap or Spell Turret cannot take move actions to direct spheres that it's already launched in addition to launching new ones (which it can do up to once per round). Because as crazy as a gun that shoots spheres of annihilation is, one that shoots a steadily increasing swarm of spheres of annihilation zipping around disintegrating people is on an entirely different level.

EDIT: Dear Lord, ZeroNumerous. I will never say that use-activated items of True Strike are broken ever again.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:37 PM
Well he can't have it. The Orb of Annihilation is an Artifact, which means he only gets it if the DM wants him to, and even if he has it he's not going to get more than one.

Then I bet he's going for that Sphere of Ultimate Destruction thing.

BRC
2009-12-14, 03:39 PM
Then I bet he's going for that Sphere of Ultimate Destruction thing.
What level are we talking about here? Because Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is a 9th level spell. And he'd have to make a custom magic item to cast it, and the custom magic item rules are explicitly "Guidelines for DM's".
Just like one can technically make a sword of Use-Activated True Strike for 2000 gold, no sane DM is going to give you one

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 03:39 PM
If you're so worried about it:

DM: No.
Player: Why?
DM: (facepalm) Just...no...

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 03:41 PM
EDIT: Dear Lord, ZeroNumerous. I will never say that use-activated items of True Strike are broken ever again.

S'only 4,000 GP to add continuous True Strike to the Orb-Gun.

EDIT: Honestly, it's not terribly bad. I mean you get a DC 19+INT fort save to only take 5d6 damage. Against Undead it's horrible, but everything else is mostly fine.

Milskidasith
2009-12-14, 03:41 PM
Why have it be one round resetting? With all the cost reducers, you can make it free action resetting, on a trigger like "I snap my fingers," or "I say fire."

I can snap my fingers pretty damn fast in 6 seconds. :P

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 03:45 PM
Why have it be one round resetting? With all the cost reducers, you can make it free action resetting, on a trigger like "I snap my fingers," or "I say fire."

This works better if you have the legendary Jazz bard "Fast Fingers Freddy" as a cohort.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 03:47 PM

Technically you could set it to command-activated, or even have it be continuous and constantly firing out orbs all the time. That'd make for a great doomsday weapon, I think.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 03:48 PM
S'only 4,000 GP to add continuous True Strike to the Orb-Gun.

...and it's already a touch attack, right? So Wraithstrike isn't necessary. Hm, how about Guided Shot? 1st-level Ranger spell, range increments don't apply to your next attack. I'm sure there's more we can do with why am I trying to make this more broken?!

Don't you need a standard action to activate it? Even if not, being able to shoot more Spheres of Ultimate Destruction than you have iterative attacks seems kind of... unsporting.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 03:49 PM
Well, the way to do this is with the Sphere of Ultimate Destruction spell, which isn't exactly a Sphere of Annihilation; it summons a sphere that does I think 40d6 damage, save for 5d6, to anything it comes in contact with, lasts I think rounds per level, and can be directed to a new target as a move action. You can't store it in a container, unless said container has enough hardness to resist 40d6 damage, and I don't know of any material that can do that. I don't see any reason why it would destroy its user, though.

Much more practical than actual spheres of annihilation. No ammo worries, projectiles fire *much* faster, and is still going to leave a very long hole through, well, anything. Huh, wonder what happens if you start firing straight down. Or at the sun.

Fun supplementary idea #2: Take three levels in incantatrix, so you can add metamagic to it after the shot's been fired. Four, if you want to be able to mentally control it. Or better, take leadership, and get others to help you with this.

After all, the only thing better than an animated turret locked on autofire with spheres of ultimate destruction is an animated autoturret firing empowered, fell drained, maximized, invisible orbs of destruction that you can redirect in the unlikely event they miss.

Prime32
2009-12-14, 03:49 PM
Leadership

Monk 1/Cleric 4/Entropomancer 10
Amulet of +1 morphing natural weapons, Sphere of Annihilation, Talisman of the Sphere

10th-level entropomancers can handle spheres of annihilation safely. They otherwise suck though, so it's only worth it as a cohort. Have it use the morphing property to turn into a gun.

Milskidasith
2009-12-14, 03:50 PM
...and it's already a touch attack, right? So Wraithstrike isn't necessary. Hm, how about Guided Shot? 1st-level Ranger spell, range increments don't apply to your next attack. I'm sure there's more we can do with why am I trying to make this more broken?!

There are no range increments on spells. They fizzle at the end of the range.

Don't you need a standard action to activate it? Even if not, being able to shoot more Spheres of Ultimate Destruction than you have iterative attacks seems kind of... unsporting.

No. Yes. RAW is a bitch.

taltamir
2009-12-14, 03:54 PM
is it an orb of annihilation or sphere of destruction.
Orb of annihilation simply annihilates anything, period. It is an artifact and he can't get it.
Sphere of destruction is just a sphere based disintegrate... it is a level 9 spell, and frankly there are better 9th level spells out there.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 03:55 PM

Actually it automatically strikes a creature when it enters that creature's square. I was just pointing out that continuous True Strike is easy as hell and ultimately meaningless in the long run. Though, it'd be much-much-much cheaper to make an item of Disintegrate with continuous True Strike. It does the same thing, except it doesn't stick around afterwards.

Sphere of destruction is just a sphere based disintegrate... it is a level 9 spell, and frankly there are better 9th level spells out there.

Granted, there are better ones if you're not looking to deal damage. But one orb per action, combined with metamagic reducers and building the item yourself?

That's 134,977 GP and 10,798 XP to shoot a Maximized, Empowered, Invisible, Twinned Sphere of Ultimate Destruction and each sphere sticks around for 17 rounds. Sure, there are better ways to get stupid amounts of damage but how many of those ways can be done without ever spending a spell slot?

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 03:55 PM
I thought we were trying to disallow this monstrosity...:smallconfused:

Asbestos
2009-12-14, 03:57 PM
Leadership

Monk 1/Cleric 4/Entropomancer 10
Amulet of +1 morphing natural weapons, Sphere of Annihilation, Talisman of the Sphere

10th-level entropomancers can handle spheres of annihilation safely. They otherwise suck though, so it's only worth it as a cohort. Have it use the morphing property to turn into a gun.

So that's what 1980s Megatron was.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 04:01 PM

Several people have already told him that, as the DM, he can disbar any of this. Now we're just trying to build a gun that shoots Orbs of Annihilation or anything similar.

Boci
2009-12-14, 04:03 PM

Nope, the OP is. His mistake was bringing his problem to the internet. But yes, it has been pointed out that rule zero will stop it.

BRC
2009-12-14, 04:04 PM
Nope, the OP is. His mistake was bringing his problem to the internet. But yes, it has been pointed out that rule zero will stop it.
A DnD board, a place where upon hearing that somebody wants to fling planets at their foes, figures out which planets would be the most effective.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 04:07 PM
A DnD board, a place where upon hearing that somebody wants to fling planets at their foes, figures out which planets would be the most effective.

I would think Jupiter. Not due to mass or size, but because the gravity well of the planet would keep any attempt to escape from it from succeeding. After all, if your target is small enough to fit on a planet then utilizing Jupiter would ensure that, even if he doesn't die, he will at least stay put.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 04:07 PM
Actually it automatically strikes a creature when it enters that creature's square. I was just pointing out that continuous True Strike is easy as hell and ultimately meaningless in the long run. Though, it'd be much-much-much cheaper to make an item of Disintegrate with continuous True Strike. It does the same thing, except it doesn't stick around afterwards.

Gah. I knew the item creation rules could do broken things in theory, but I did not realize the full extent of potential brokenness, especially when combined with high level spells. This has been most enlightening.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 04:12 PM
Gah. I knew the item creation rules could do broken things in theory, but I did not realize the full extent of potential brokenness, especially when combined with high level spells. This has been most enlightening.

If you want really broken things then you become immortal, be a Psion, mindseed about 10 or so random jerks, make them lich wizards, gather up a nation, build a Pain Extractor and start a nation-sized Pain Factory. 5 XP per point of Constitution score per person per day. Sell the XP to convert it to GP and you can fund all the stupid items you want to build without ever doing more than the initial costs of building the Pain Extractor and using Mind Seed.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 04:13 PM

Well, it does require the application of significant amounts of xp, gold, and time. Over 10,000 xp isn't chump change.

Thing of it is, D&D encompasses everything from very low magic to high fantasy craziness. Transitioning from one to the other can be a wild ride in a campaign, and is not advised for the faint of heart. I could see such an item being a blast in a high level campaign, though.

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 04:14 PM
If you want really broken things then you become immortal, be a Psion, mindseed about 10 or so random jerks, make them lich wizards, gather up a nation, build a Pain Extractor and start a nation-sized Pain Factory. 5 XP per point of Constitution score per person per day. Sell the XP to convert it to GP and you can fund all the stupid items you want to build without ever doing more than the initial costs of building the Pain Extractor and using Mind Seed.

Pun-Pun?
Izzat u?

The Glyphstone
2009-12-14, 04:15 PM
Well, it does require the application of significant amounts of xp, gold, and time. Over 10,000 xp isn't chump change.

Thing of it is, D&D encompasses everything from very low magic to high fantasy craziness. Transitioning from one to the other can be a wild ride in a campaign, and is not advised for the faint of heart. I could see such an item being a blast in a high level campaign, though.

Though the further you go in either direction, the more rules get strained to accomodate it.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-14, 04:17 PM
Though the further you go in either direction, the more rules get strained to accomodate it.

All too true. Particularly at the low end in my opinion.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-14, 04:23 PM
Well, there is a surprisingly amount of variation in power at low levels. I've read a couple (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861106/Compilation_of_Low_Level_builds) things (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=9694c0e92ca6b9a276012091eda9c2 b9&topic=2981.0) about low-level optimization, and there are many more "If I win initiative, you die" tricks available than I expected. However, there are also a fair number of "I am extremely hard to kill" tricks, and I can't say for certain which is more likely to win out. Personally, I've always thought it might be interesting to play in a low-level high-optimization game.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 04:29 PM
Mmm, check out the solo dungeons or the arena rules. All of those tend to be optimization intensive, low level games.

That said, yeah...extreme low end and extreme high end have the wierdest stuff. A fell drained magic missile/sonic snap is probably more lethal at level 1 than this autocannon is at level 20.

Edit: Huh...wonder if I could persist a fell drained PW:Pain....