PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo

Rasman
2009-12-14, 04:05 PM
I remember seeing something in a book I was once skimming though about a character being able to get a tattoo that gives various benefits based on the design and size, I think it was called a Monk's Tattoo (No relation to the Tattooed Monk PrC though), but I can't remember what book it was in. I looked though the Magic Item Compendium and couldn't find it, so I thought it might be in a different book. Anyone know where I might find this?

jmbrown
2009-12-14, 04:08 PM
Probably Eberron's marks?

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 04:09 PM
I know there's a list in the Character Builder of magic tattoos. Dunno what book they're from though... I think it's Adventurer's Vault 2...

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 04:10 PM
XPH had psionic tatoos that basically work like psionic scrolls

(genius idea for limiting how much magic you can carry with you, IMO)

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 04:13 PM

(genius idea for limiting how much magic you can carry with you, IMO)

Beat me to it.

kamikasei
2009-12-14, 04:16 PM

Tattoos are like psionic potions (usable by anyone, limited subset of powers applicable). Psionic scrolls are power stones.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-14, 04:21 PM
So crawling tattoos are like bottle gnomes! :smallbiggrin:

Rasman
2009-12-14, 04:54 PM
Psionic Tattoos are similar to what I'm looking for, but the tattoos I remember are permanant, where as Psionic Tattoos are expended on use. Any other thoughts?

Darrin
2009-12-14, 04:58 PM
I remember seeing something in a book I was once skimming though about a character being able to get a tattoo that gives various benefits based on the design and size, I think it was called a Monk's Tattoo (No relation to the Tattooed Monk PrC though), but I can't remember what book it was in. I looked though the Magic Item Compendium and couldn't find it, so I thought it might be in a different book. Anyone know where I might find this?

Magic of Faerun p. 163. Basically a really expensive slotless Monk's Belt, but I think it stacks with an actual Monk's Belt.

There's also the "Create Magic Tattoo" spell in FRCS (2nd level Sor/Wiz spell), which can provide some useful 1-day buffs.

There are also Psionic Tattoos in the XPH/SRD (http://srd.realmspire.com/psionicFeats.html#scribe-tattoo) and on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a).

Ashtar
2009-12-14, 05:00 PM
Maybe you're thinking about the D20 version of Legend of the 5 Rings, where the tattooed Ise Zumi (http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Ise_Zumi) monks run around using mystical powers.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-14, 05:04 PM

I vaguely recall a class in (I think) Dragon Magazine that offered various benefits for animal themed tattoos. I can't even guess which issue it's in though, and this is just a vague recollection from years back when I was looking for inspiration for a character.

sonofzeal
2009-12-14, 05:22 PM
Tattooed Monk - advanced general Monkness, gives magical tattoos that each hold special powers

Psionic Tattoos - psi equivalent of potions

Create Magic Tattoo - spell, does awesome stuff based on your level.

Pierced Mystic - not tattooes, but close enough; allows casters to imbue other people with their spells. BoEF.

Rasman
2009-12-14, 05:58 PM
well, I'm not really finding what I was looking for, but close enough for now...

can permanacy be cast of a magic/psionic tattoo like any other spell?

InkEyes
2009-12-14, 06:42 PM
This was mentioned before but your initial description really does sound like Eberron's Dragonmarks. They come in least, lesser, greater, and Siberys sizes and provide x/day uses of specific spells along with bonuses to some skill checks. Passing on of these marks is hereditary though and they require a line of feats (or an entire prestige class for the siberys one).

Adapting or making similar tattoos into other games really wouldn't be that hard. Apply prereqs for level/BAB/skill ranks in exchange for 2-3/day uses of a certain spell of whatever level you deem appropriate. The DC of the spells is 10+spell level+Cha mod. The caster/manifester level of Eberron dragomarks was equal to 1+ level in a specific prestige class, but I could see making it your caster level/half your character level maybe with upping some of the prerequisites.

Rasman
2009-12-14, 07:37 PM
This was mentioned before but your initial description really does sound like Eberron's Dragonmarks. They come in least, lesser, greater, and Siberys sizes and provide x/day uses of specific spells along with bonuses to some skill checks. Passing on of these marks is hereditary though and they require a line of feats (or an entire prestige class for the siberys one).

Adapting or making similar tattoos into other games really wouldn't be that hard. Apply prereqs for level/BAB/skill ranks in exchange for 2-3/day uses of a certain spell of whatever level you deem appropriate. The DC of the spells is 10+spell level+Cha mod. The caster/manifester level of Eberron dragomarks was equal to 1+ level in a specific prestige class, but I could see making it your caster level/half your character level maybe with upping some of the prerequisites.

Hmm...I'll have to take a loot at it then, might have to get my DM to houserule it or something similar, althoug he likes us to do most of the research/work so he doesn't have to think as much....

erikun
2009-12-14, 07:45 PM
Psionic Tattoos are similar to what I'm looking for, but the tattoos I remember are permanant, where as Psionic Tattoos are expended on use. Any other thoughts?
Try checking in Oriental Adventures? 3.0e, but still very good and still valid. I'm probably wrong, but the "transcribed tattoos for abilities" sounds familiar and I think that's where they came from.

Rasman
2009-12-14, 08:02 PM
Try checking in Oriental Adventures? 3.0e, but still very good and still valid. I'm probably wrong, but the "transcribed tattoos for abilities" sounds familiar and I think that's where they came from.

OH! I think that may be it, because I defintely got the PDF from a friend on CD and looked over it for some feats, which I couldn't take but really wanted. That might be the book I was thinking of...

*goes to look now*...

DabblerWizard
2009-12-14, 10:52 PM
D&D 4.0 has magical tattoos in the Adventurer's Vault 2, I think.

dragonfan6490
2009-12-15, 02:31 AM
Relics and Rituals has rules for magical tattoos, if thats what you're looking for.