PDA

View Full Version : is Girard part-dragon?

gallagher
2009-12-14, 05:53 PM
it would make sense to me. he could be part blue dragon, who are from desert lands, which is where girard is from. as i recall blue dragons are more adept at illusionist magic

the name draketooth is also pointing at this. and it explains that he is a sorcerer.

BatRobin
2009-12-14, 05:56 PM
And his dragon tattoo. Not a bad observation.

Acero
2009-12-14, 06:08 PM

or................

he could have gotten the tattoo because it looked cool...:smallsigh:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-14, 06:11 PM
the name draketooth is also pointing at this. and it explains that he is a sorcerer.
So Haley is part celestial-object, Belkar is part-plant, Roy is part-construct, and Durkon is part-elemental?

I know a guy named Baker, but that doesn’t mean he’s ever made a good cookie or cake.

Kish
2009-12-14, 06:12 PM
There's no indication that he's part dragon.

There's no specific indication that he is not, either, of course. Being epic level, though, it would actually weaken him (his level adjustment) if he is, and there is likewise no indication that he's a sorcerer (though we now know he has two levels of ranger).

Setra
2009-12-14, 06:19 PM
There's no specific indication that he is not, either, of course. Being epic level, though, it would actually weaken him (his level adjustment) if he is, and there is likewise no indication that he's a sorcerer (though we now know he has two levels of ranger).
I'm pretty sure most of the people in the ootsverse don't care about optimization.

Also, if you're born part dragon, you're not really allowed to say 'I want to reroll human'.

That said, he doesn't strike me as part dragon, but I am biased because I like dragons, and do not like Girard thus far. (And Soon Kim is was awesome)

So Haley is part celestial-object, Belkar is part-plant, Roy is part-construct, and Durkon is part-elemental?
Belkar may not be a leaf, however he is quite bitter. Roy's last name seems to be taken from his ancestral sword. Durkon uses a shield and serves Thor.

Draketooth does not mean he is part dragon, but if he were, Draketooth would probably be the kind of name that might be given to him.

Kish
2009-12-14, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure most of the people in the ootsverse don't care about optimization.

Also, if you're born part dragon, you're not really allowed to say 'I want to reroll human'.
My point is that if he is part dragon, while that might be interesting, it wouldn't make him stronger. And maybe I simply imagined the implication that it would, and none of the people who have theorized that he is were thinking in those terms at all.

Someone (on the forum, not in the comic) definitely said he's a sorcerer, however.

Setra
2009-12-14, 06:28 PM
My point is that if he is part dragon, while that might be interesting, it wouldn't make him stronger. And maybe I simply imagined the implication that it would, and none of the people who have theorized that he is were thinking in those terms at all.

Someone (on the forum, not in the comic) definitely said he's a sorcerer, however.
Unless he's some homebrew dragon lineage race with no LA and +2 to whatever his casting stat is :smallbiggrin:

Okay I'm just being silly now

Geoffron X
2009-12-14, 06:29 PM

I know a guy named Baker, but that doesn’t mean he’s ever tasted a good cookie or cake.

But Haley is part celest- *IS SHOT*

Haven
2009-12-14, 06:30 PM
So Haley is part celestial-object

Actually still a viable theory, though. Well, less the "object" part anyway.

Zevox
2009-12-14, 06:34 PM
Check panel 4 of the latest comic. That doesn't look a tattoo, that looks like a scar - or several overlapping scars. Certainly even if it is a tattoo, it doesn't look like a dragon.

And yeah, assuming he's part-dragon based on his name is completely ridiculous and unsupportable logically. But that sort of thing never seems to stop posters on these boards anyway...

Zevox

Setra
2009-12-14, 06:39 PM
And yeah, assuming he's part-dragon based on his name is completely ridiculous and unsupportable logically. But that sort of thing never seems to stop posters on these boards anyway...
No one is assuming anything, merely making speculation for fun.

But you're right, that would be like thinking Roy might use a sword with a green hilt, or Durkon could possibly use a shield. I mean, fictional names never mean anything.

Roderick_BR
2009-12-14, 07:58 PM
it would make sense to me. he could be part blue dragon, who are from desert lands, which is where girard is from. as i recall blue dragons are more adept at illusionist magic

Could at least be a good indication of being a sorcerer.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-14, 08:03 PM
So does that mean Miko makes good movies? :smalltongue:

Bibliomancer
2009-12-14, 08:08 PM

Not a significant amount, if he used LA buy-off (also, you don't hear people saying that Xykon shouldn't have picked up the lich template due to the +4 LA.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-14, 09:56 PM

I know a guy named Baker, but that doesn’t mean he’s ever tasted a good cookie or cake.

Haley is part copper dragon, she said so herself (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html). The best lie in the world is the Unvarnished Truth, when people refuse to believe it. :smallwink:

This is why I believe Girard is Mia Starshine's father, and Haley's maternal side grandfather. I also believe that Ian Starshine ran off to rescue his father-in-law, or at least help him in something important, and that when the story shifts to Haley's efforts to rescue her dad, both threads will wrap up at the same time.

I'm also the inventor of the theory that Girard is Haley and Elan's time warped child, based on her hair color, and the way both Elan and Girard part their hair.

Yeah, no "proof," but just as plausable as many of the other theories that plague these boards, and a bit more plausable than others. :smallsmile:

drengnikrafe
2009-12-14, 10:56 PM
Long ago, I convinced myself that Haley was, in fact, Half-Celestial. While it has passed to the recesses of my mind, and is occasionally refuted with decent evidence, I still like it as a possibility.

In any case, I think there was a Dragon Blooded Sorcerer, or something like that, somewhere on the books. That would make a decent amount of sense, in theory. Give me a few minutes to try to find it.

EDIT: If it does exist, it's not in the books I have. Sorry.

martinkou
2009-12-15, 12:03 AM
Long ago, I convinced myself that Haley was, in fact, Half-Celestial. While it has passed to the recesses of my mind, and is occasionally refuted with decent evidence, I still like it as a possibility.

In any case, I think there was a Dragon Blooded Sorcerer, or something like that, somewhere on the books. That would make a decent amount of sense, in theory. Give me a few minutes to try to find it.

EDIT: If it does exist, it's not in the books I have. Sorry.

The thing you're looking for should be Dragon Disciple, a prestige class.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-15, 12:22 AM
The thing you're looking for should be Dragon Disciple, a prestige class.

No, it wasn't. The so-called "Dragon Blooded Sorcerer" was brought up to me by a PC (Make that Ex-PC. I've since banned him from the gaming group for unrelated reasons) who wanted a backstory-rich character who didn't have to sacrifice as much as the Dragon Disciple did in the way of caster levels. Naturally, I never actually found it.

pnewman
2009-12-15, 04:47 AM
I thought that the blue line on Girard's face was a port-wine stain birthmark.

I thought that he was teased about it as a child, and became an illusionist so he could hide it. Later he matured and decided to stop hiding it.

Nerdanel
2009-12-15, 05:46 AM
Girard can have dragon ancestry without the half-dragon template. For example, if the sorcerer fluff about draconic ancestry is in force in the OOTS world, Xykon would have a dragon somewhere in his family tree while still being just a human with +0 LA before he became a lich.

Asta Kask
2009-12-15, 05:58 AM
Check panel 4 of the latest comic. That doesn't look a tattoo, that looks like a scar - or several overlapping scars. Certainly even if it is a tattoo, it doesn't look like a dragon.

Zevox

It looks very much like a dragon. The long line is the body, the first ) crossing it are the wings, the second ( at the end of the line are jaws.

rainbowjo
2009-12-15, 07:36 AM

Zevox

Im asuming theyre some kind of runes of power.

Dixieboy
2009-12-15, 07:43 AM
Ehmm, am I the only one who got a specific, ebberon related, idea when they saw his tattoo? :smallredface:

hamishspence
2009-12-15, 07:46 AM
The Giant has made references to Eberron before

(comments about the ridiculousness of magic trains, and a suggestion that the Ghost Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard might have been "cribbed off another campaign setting")

It's not impossible, but it seems unlikely to me.

Mugen Nightgale
2009-12-15, 08:12 AM
It looks like Dragonmarks to me. Eberron stuff.

hamishspence
2009-12-15, 08:16 AM
The Giant usually only brings Eberron stuff up for a little gentle mocking.

Optimystik
2009-12-15, 08:56 AM
A draconic tattoo does not a Dragonmark make.

I think it's merely an artistic way of identifying his high Charisma - the Giant's "GreenSorcererElf" premade forum avatar has a similar tattoo.

Not a significant amount, if he used LA buy-off (also, you don't hear people saying that Xykon shouldn't have picked up the lich template due to the +4 LA.

Xykon's a different story - he picked up the lich template when it wouldn't matter (i.e. after he got 9ths, and possibly even post-epic.) LA doesn't matter if it doesn't hurt your casting progression, and by epic levels caster level is pathetically easy to increase. (Practiced Caster alone would give him back the CL lost to the template, never mind if he was actually trying to optimize it.)

A racial template like half-dragon would have to be taken at level 1 - therefore it would impact Girard throughout his career and, along with his two levels in Ranger, keep him from hitting 9ths on his arcane side.

Asta Kask
2009-12-16, 12:46 PM
If he is part-dragon, does that mean he can be controlled by the Rod of Savrille? If they can get it from Ridley, that is.