PDA

View Full Version : good computer antiviruses?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-14, 10:18 PM
okay. My family recently got a new laptop. (no I will not be using it) and I was wondering, for their sake, what's a good antivirus?

they currently have Norton as that is pre-installed.

Escef
2009-12-14, 10:29 PM
AVG and Avira are both decent and free. Not a bad idea to have both running, what one misses the other will likely catch.

Anuan
2009-12-14, 10:34 PM
Avast!'s free version is the best virus protection I've ever, ever used.

Xallace
2009-12-14, 10:35 PM

Darn right! Avast! is most excellent.

GreyVulpine
2009-12-14, 11:08 PM
While I like free, Avast and AVG have problematic false positive detection rates. As a computer tech, I see those AVs pop up warnings on even simple software updates on more than one occasion. They're slightly better compared to Symantec's Norton, but not by much.

Free is nice if you just need a basic scan on a system you're fixing as a favor for somebody.

Lesser AV suites depend solely on virus signatures. Meaning, a virus has already been identified from the wild, isolated, tested and its behavior recorded before a signature is developed and passed along via update to the AV. This might take hours, even days/weeks. Not bad, but not good either.

I run ESET's NOD32 myself. A few years back, it was rated in the top 3, along with Kaspersky. both of them employ signature detection as well as heuristic detection, meaning even wild viruses will have a chance of tripping its detection by the aspect of behaving like a virus. I liked NOD32 because it had a smaller memory footprint, ran fast, and didn't slow down my other applications while it ran in the background (compared to Norton).

Don't take my word for it though, do some research. I recommend checking out AV-comparative's website (www.av-comparatives.org), and looking at their latest report (http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report24.pdf).

Mystic Muse
2009-12-14, 11:18 PM
well my parents would prefer free.

GolemsVoice
2009-12-14, 11:22 PM
I and all my friends use Avira Antivirus. Free, and generally unobtrusive. For the casual PC user it works very well, I'd recommend it any time.

memnarch
2009-12-15, 12:00 AM
AVG and Avira are both decent and free. Not a bad idea to have both running, what one misses the other will likely catch.

Don't.

You can have problems ranging from not catching viruses to locking up your computer. One antivirus program; as many spyware/malware scanners as you like, as long as they don't try and monitor your computer.

I used AVG for a while, then I switched to Avast for the fun of it. They are both great anti-virus programs and I'd place my recommendation with either of them.

Got a firewall picked out too?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 12:03 AM
no firewall picked out yet. We have Windows 7 if that helps.

Livor
2009-12-15, 12:32 AM
I don't think I'm going to be doing much besides repeating what has already been said. Personally, I use AVG, simply because it is free. It's not fantastic, but it's better than Norton or McAfee. If you're going to buy something, Avira has the best detection rate but also has a high number of false positives. NOD32 is also highly regarded, in terms of resource usage and detection rate.

Ultimately, an antivirus program is reactive. You're fixing the problem after it happens, and it's never a good strategy to have. In addition, you're going to want a firewall. Windows comes with a more than adequate firewall; use it. Sadly, these won't be enough to prevent poor computer habits, but it's better than nothing.

edit: Avira has a free version, duh.

Escef
2009-12-15, 12:57 AM
Don't.

You can have problems ranging from not catching viruses to locking up your computer.

I've never had any such problems. Not saying issues can't arise, just that I'd never had them. Maybe it's just that AVG and Avira get along? I dunno.

scsimodem
2009-12-15, 01:40 AM
I would like to direct you to this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135059)

I'll say again what I said there. Anything free is not going to be good enough. I recommend NOD32, Webroot, or Kaspersky. I have Webroot on my computer. Do NOT get multiple programs unless they can be set to passive (I keep a copy of the free version of Spyware Doctor on my machine as a backup). Keep it up to date and run scans weekly. Do NOT use McAfee or Trend Micro. I'd recommend against Norton, but not because of its level of protection. I just think the program is poorly made.

The two most common things I see on computers with viruses are Limewire and free antivirus software.

Remember, it's $40-$80 for a good AV suite. It's $130+, plus the temporary loss of your computer and/or potential loss of important data if you don't get one.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 01:52 AM
Are those one time or yearly payments?

Livor
2009-12-15, 01:55 AM
Where are you getting the $130+ from? Worst comes to worst, you just reformat and reinstall. It might be annoying, but it doesn't cost anything.

scsimodem
2009-12-15, 01:55 AM
Are those one time or yearly payments?

Yearly. It's still well worth it. The $40 packages are typically single license antivirus/antispyware packages that should be good enough for your average user. The $80 is the bells 'n' whistles Kaspersky Internet Security package that includes a firewall and anti-hacking tools. I typically recommend only for the paranoid and the careless web surfer.

Edit: If you have the thing fixed by pros in an attempt to save your computer from formatting, that's about as cheap as it comes. Formatting is no big deal for guys like us who keep everything backed up and don't mind re-installing things, but not everybody is quite so well prepared.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 02:03 AM
Where are you getting the $130+ from? Worst comes to worst, you just reformat and reinstall. It might be annoying, but it doesn't cost anything.

That's assuming the computer came with an OS replacement CD of some sort correct? this one did not.

Livor
2009-12-15, 02:29 AM
That's assuming the computer came with an OS replacement CD of some sort correct? this one did not.

I was assuming that, yes. Obviously there's a problem if it didn't.

If you have the thing fixed by pros in an attempt to save your computer from formatting, that's about as cheap as it comes. Formatting is no big deal for guys like us who keep everything backed up and don't mind re-installing things, but not everybody is quite so well prepared.

Okay, I didn't realize how much that costs. I glad I can figure it out (http://xkcd.com/627/) myself.

It says in your linked thread that work at a help desk. I imagine that takes a great deal of patience, yes?

thubby
2009-12-15, 03:48 AM
I've never had any real problems with avast.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-15, 04:47 AM
Avast.

As of recently, AVG is starting to suck and badly. Not in terms of virus protection (I'm guessing it's still about the same), but in terms of what it does to your computer. If you've got an old install, do everything you can to keep it that way. New ones... they're worse than Norton. They eat up all of your memory, pop up a few dozen annoying windows per hour telling you to do daily 3 hour long full scans, are impossible to deal with because as soon as you disable a component it's turned right back on. The windows are also impossible to disable and I'm pretty sure it resets your Windows Security Center warnings if you've disabled them.

First I thought it was just me, but apparently my buddy's office of 30 something people had the same thing happen to them so they were forced to shell out money for Panda just to get rid of AVG.

PS: I strongly recommend you get a hardware firewall instead of a software one. A cheap router will cost you 40 bucks and will also give you wifi if you're in the stone age and don't have it yet and will last forever, while with software packages you'll pay this much just to use them for a single year. And they eat up your system resources like crazy. And can be disabled by viruses, etc. If you're paranoid, use the Windows one in addition to a router or download a free one, just don't spend money on a software firewall. Unless of course you routinely work with sensitive data out of cafe's or airports.

ghost_warlock
2009-12-15, 07:44 AM
I've used Spybot and AVG in conjunction for years and they worked fine...though Spybot has always been the heavy lifter of the pair. Recently, AVG has been all-but worthless, though. :smallfrown:

Recently, Surfing HalfOrc's suggestion to try malwarebytes probably saved my computer. :smallsmile:

Don: I haven't had any of those problems with AVG...that sounds suspiciously like that bogus "antivirus" malware I'm just finishing up my battle against (Internet Security 2010).

scsimodem
2009-12-15, 12:45 PM
I was assuming that, yes. Obviously there's a problem if it didn't.

Okay, I didn't realize how much that costs. I glad I can figure it out (http://xkcd.com/627/) myself.

It says in your linked thread that work at a help desk. I imagine that takes a great deal of patience, yes?

Oh yes, that's pretty much how I learned everything I know about computer support (that and being a computer science major).

You have no idea. I've seen people who get $1000 worth of work comped under a service plan only one month from expiring. What do they care about, though? The $25 they're going to have to shell out for recovery discs so we can restore the hard drive, especially when they've had 2-3 years of alerts telling them to make the discs, not to mention the service where we do it for them at the time of purchase, and all they can say is, "Well, nobody told me I should make those, so I think you should pay for them."

The high moments are worth it, though, like when you solve a tough one, or when you get that last driver installed, or when you get a really pleasant client. That, and the money. I can't discuss specifics, but techs are paid better than any entry level position in the store.

Oh, and the ties we wear are clip-ons, specifically so people can't yank us over the counter by our ties.

Recaiden
2009-12-15, 03:20 PM

It's the best free anti-virus I've used.

If you're going to pay for something, I would recommend NOD32.