PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion help

Trodon
2009-12-14, 10:22 PM
So, I am looking for good animal companions for a level 4 ranger. I've already asked the DM no dinosaurs, can anyone help me or should I ask the dm to let me take something that isn't on the list?

Grumman
2009-12-14, 10:28 PM
No dinosaurs? He does realise you're living in a fantasy world, right?

Trodon
2009-12-14, 10:33 PM
No dinosaurs? He does realise you're living in a fantasy world, right?

Yes, here is a quote:

yea...dinosaurs are a big nono because their all dead and the bones are hard to find. If you DO find them (which is harder then finding a lawful good succubus nun) you deserve to have it.

It sucks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 10:57 PM
Level 4 Ranger? Ouch. Badger, Eagle, Owl, or similar are best. It's not going to be of any use in combat, so a disposable scout is the best you can hope for.

Trodon
2009-12-14, 11:10 PM
Level 4 Ranger? Ouch. Badger, Eagle, Owl, or similar are best. It's not going to be of any use in combat, so a disposable scout is the best you can hope for.

Once I hit level 6 I can get an animal companion as if a level 6 druid, what should I get then?

erikun
2009-12-14, 11:18 PM
Is your DM using some alternate version of the Animal Companion? Because the Ranger is treated as 1/2 level for determining his Companion's bonuses. (Meaning you need to be level 8 before getting a better Companion.) At half the bonus of the Druid class, your Companion simply can't keep up with the party. You're better off using it as a scout or something that can watch the camp - not as one that can participate in combat.

If your Companion is comparable to the Druid's, then the Wolf (tripping) and Leopard (pounce, level -4) are both decent choices.

Trodon
2009-12-14, 11:20 PM
Is your DM using some alternate version of the Animal Companion? Because the Ranger is treated as 1/2 level for determining his Companion's bonuses. (Meaning you need to be level 8 before getting a better Companion.) At half the bonus of the Druid class, your Companion simply can't keep up with the party. You're better off using it as a scout or something that can watch the camp - not as one that can participate in combat.

If your Companion is comparable to the Druid's, then the Wolf (tripping) and Leopard (pounce, level -4) are both decent choices.

I am taking the Beastmaster PRC from complete adventurer, it evens out the -3 from the ranger animal companion.

9mm
2009-12-14, 11:27 PM
I am taking the Beastmaster PRC from complete adventurer, it evens out the -3 from the ranger animal companion.

so total effective druid level is 4 I'm assuming?

in core you have:
Bears, Crockidiles, and dire bats.

I'm partial to Bears personally.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-14, 11:36 PM
I am taking the Beastmaster PRC from complete adventurer, it evens out the -3 from the ranger animal companion.Unless this is 3.0, the Ranger is at 1/2 level, not -3. Which sucks. if it is at -3, then your best bet core is Leopard, Dire Bat, or Crocodile at EDL 4. At EDL 7, a Tiger, Rhino, Bear, or boosted level 4 beast is probably a good idea.

Trodon
2009-12-15, 12:02 AM
Unless this is 3.0, the Ranger is at 1/2 level, not -3. Which sucks. if it is at -3, then your best bet core is Leopard, Dire Bat, or Crocodile at EDL 4. At EDL 7, a Tiger, Rhino, Bear, or boosted level 4 beast is probably a good idea.

Your right it is, alright so at level 6 my EDL will be 6 still, I was thinking about a Tiger or Rhino once my EDL is 7, I'm not sure.

Stephen_E
2009-12-15, 12:05 AM
I assume you are using the common houserule that Rangers are -3 levels.

I suggest you also invest in the Natural Bond feat, giving you and additional +3 to your Druid level, which you invest in a alternative animal companion to get around the max druid level restrictions on it.

Strong Combat choices -
Dire Bat - Flying Ranged Combat + some Melee
Dire Wolf - treat as sub-adult with Wolf stats until you can afford the -6 lev adj. Melee with Trip. See if you can get magic item that gives Combat expertise and have it learn Improved Trip.
Tiger - treat as sub-adult with Leopard stats until you can afford the -6 lev adj. Melee with pounce. Shock Trooper advancment.
Bear, Brown - treat as sub-adult with Bear, Black stats until you can afford the -6 lev adj. Grapple monster.

Fun ok combat options.-
Dire Badger - Berserker.:smallsmile:
Dire Wolverine - treat as sub-adult with Dire Badger stats until you can afford the -6 lev adj. Even better Berserker. :smallbiggrin:

Stephen E

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-15, 12:06 AM
Your right it is, alright so at level 6 my EDL will be 6 still, I was thinking about a Tiger or Rhino once my EDL is 7, I'm not sure.How much do you want to focus on your AC? And how optimized is your group? Something like Natural Bond is a pretty nice boost(an additional +3 to EDL), but even with that and Beastmaster, your AC is still going to start falling behind quickly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-15, 12:07 AM
Take the feat Natural Bond, from Complete Adventurer. Add its bonus before the bonus from Beastmaster, so at level 6 you'd count as a 9th level Druid.

A Dire Eagle from Races of Stone is available as a 'Level -3' companion, so you can get one at 6th level and still count as a 6th level Druid for its extra HD and other benefits. It's even big enough for most PCs to ride, and it can be taught to carry a rider via Handle Animal just like any other trick.

Trodon
2009-12-15, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll ask my Dm if I can do that, thanks again.

Trodon
2009-12-15, 12:35 AM
Alright my DM said that I could, thanks everyone!