PDA

View Full Version : Concentration for Autohypnosis?

Bookworm702
2009-12-14, 10:47 PM
I would like your opinion on this. Would it be balanced to allow concentration checks to act like autohypnosis checks?

erikun
2009-12-14, 11:02 PM
Autohypnosis is actually pretty good, especially at higher bonuses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#autohypnosis). The fact that you lose no actions trying to Autohypnosis means that anyone can try the DC 20 and DC 30 check to stablize/remain conscious. When they get to higher bonuses, there is no reason not to try rolling DC 60 every day to see if you can get temp HP or DR. This just makes spellcasters (who already buy Concentration) better, and Fighters (who don't have it as a class skill) less so.

With magical items that can grant a bonus to any skill check, making those higher checks will be quite possible. Level 10: 13 ranks + 3 (Skill Focus) + 2 (Autonomous) + 5 (20 CON) + 5 (magical item) = +28 to the check.

Ernir
2009-12-14, 11:04 PM
Not something I would do. Autohypnosis isn't an awful skill to have, and this would just give its benefits to classes that have Concentration in-class, which are mostly casters.

Still, it isn't going to break anything to smithereens, I think. Just a small boost to casters and Diamond Mind users. (And it might hurt the feelings of the classes that have Autohypnosis as one of their "things". :smalltongue:)

Is there a particular reason for you wanting to do this?

Bookworm702
2009-12-14, 11:12 PM
I just thought my players would enjoy the goodness that it provides. Maybe give it to them with a minus five penalty, like spellcraft and use magic device? Or heck, maybe even give the melee fighters autohypnosis as a class skill.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-15, 12:10 AM
Or heck, maybe even give make the melee fighters autohypnosis as a class skill psychic warriors.

Fixed it for you.

Kantolin
2009-12-15, 12:36 AM
I do agree with giving most melee fighters autohypnosis as a class skill. That'd only help.

9mm
2009-12-15, 01:01 AM
I do agree with giving most melee fighters autohypnosis as a class skill. That'd only help.

to bad they'll uniformly not have the skill points to take ranks in it though.

the whole "just give them class skills" fix doesn't work unless you up their skill points to around 4-6.

Kantolin
2009-12-15, 01:21 AM
Er... I didn't mean 'giving fighter-types autohypnosis will utterly fix all the problems with them', or anything of the sort. It's just a mild perk.

That said, I do agree - a lot of classes don't have enough skill points to do most things. This actually isn't as big of a problem for fighters themselves, but paladins (for example) generally need skills in a few places (ride, potentially concentration) to use their class features. Thus that's something to keep in mind.

Still, it can't /hurt/ to give more classes autohypnosis access. :P

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-15, 04:25 AM
to bad they'll uniformly not have the skill points to take ranks in it though.

the whole "just give them class skills" fix doesn't work unless you up their skill points to around 4-6.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm) could help. Look for Level-Based Skills

Prime32
2009-12-15, 04:28 AM
The monk class should definitely have Autohypnosis as a class skill. That's not enough to save it, but it's something I include when I try to write fixes.