PDA

View Full Version : Melee Tiefling warlock 4e

Mystic Muse
2009-12-14, 10:50 PM
Assume normal pointbuy. The player enjoys using Scythes. Anything else You guys need to know? 4th edition of course. Arcane power and the adventurer's vault are both allowed.

erikun
2009-12-14, 11:10 PM
You'll need Arcane Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade) eventually to cast your spells through the scythe. At least, I think that's the name of the feat. You'll probably want Melee Training (Constitution) if you're actually planning on swinging it around in combat.

Infernal Warlock is the best "melee" warlock path, simply because of the Temp HP it gives you and the "move away or take damage" spells. It's still not terribly effective in melee because all your spells are ranged, but good HP and good AC will keep you around for a bit. Add a little to Strength and you can pick up Hide Armor + Specialization.

cupkeyk
2009-12-14, 11:28 PM
how about a Revenant(Shadar-Kai)? This gets you access to Reaper's Touch with a +2 Con race. I've never tried it though. ^_^ Very scythe death death flavored too.

wait... is there even a scythe in the phb/av?

Hashmir
2009-12-14, 11:36 PM
Not to drift off-topic, but is the warlock necessary for fluff reasons? Because certain sorcerer builds work quite nicely as gishes.

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 11:39 PM
Take Eldritch Strike instead of Eldritch Blast. It counts as a melee basic.

Char Builder says it's from PH Heroes: Series 1. No idea what that is. The power's the same as Eldtritch Blast, except that it deals 1[W] instead of 1d10, targets AC, is melee, and slides the target 1 square.

Also, there's a nice feat in Dragon for Tieflings (Not yet in the Char Builder) that removes Infernal Wrath, but gives a perk and a Daily. The Daily is an awesome demonic transformation.

I'd recommend Dark Pact from the Forgotten Realms Guide if you're in the fray. It punishes enemies for targeting you with attacks and keys off of Cha, one of the stats Tieflings get a bonus to.

cupkeyk
2009-12-14, 11:45 PM
PH Heroes would mean it was a power card that accompanied a mini.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 12:06 AM
well he likes the Warlock class. He's going to try out a Necromancer once I get Scythe and shroud. (a third party book) but I doubt most DMs will allow Scythe and shroud it being a third party book.

FoE
2009-12-15, 12:14 AM
Is there any reason he's stuck on tieflings? They're not the melee-est of races. They're the best race, mind you, but they're not necessarily fitting with his character concept.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 12:19 AM
I'd ask him but he's not online right now.

cupkeyk
2009-12-15, 12:36 AM
but the OP doesn't say that the player is stuck on tiefling.

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-15, 01:00 AM
but the OP doesn't say that the player is stuck on tiefling.

Uh, dude, the thread is about making a tiefling warlock. Assuming that a tiefling warlock would be preferable is not exactly unwarranted.

cupkeyk
2009-12-15, 01:04 AM
aaah, the title... then the op can still make a revenant tiefling.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 01:22 AM
what's Revenant?

cupkeyk
2009-12-15, 01:34 AM
its an undead version of a base class. in one of them dragons but its already in CB anyway. +2 Dex, +2 Con. It still counts as a member of the bass class for the purpose of qualifying for feats. So the revenant tiefling can still get hellfire blood, scion of the gods etc.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 01:38 AM
what's CB?:smallconfused:

cupkeyk
2009-12-15, 01:43 AM
character builder... you can download the free trial version (up to level 3) at the wotc dnd site http://wizards.com/dnd

higher than that, you pay

Thajocoth
2009-12-15, 01:43 AM
what's CB?:smallconfused:

Character Builder. Excellent tool. You can demo level 1-3, but the demo has nothing released since sometime in '08...

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 01:47 AM
Do you get ALL the issues of dungeon/dragon if you sign up for DDI?

EDIT: the character builder ain't gonna work. I've got linux and I've yet to find a way to make windows programs run in it even with WINE

Thajocoth
2009-12-15, 01:48 AM
Do you get ALL the issues of dungeon/dragon if you sign up for DDI?

Yes. You also get the Monster Builder (Beta) and access to the DDI Compendium.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

EDIT:

EDIT: the character builder ain't gonna work. I've got linux and I've yet to find a way to make windows programs run in it even with WINE

Yeah... You need an actual PC for the Builder regardless. There are pieces of it that won't work even in an emulated Windows environment.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 01:51 AM
believe me. If I had the money I'd get it.

Thajocoth
2009-12-15, 01:52 AM

The Character Builder is a huge draw for it though... Without the ability to run that... I don't know that it's worth it.

cupkeyk
2009-12-15, 01:57 AM
ddi still gets you the dragon issues... not that ain't available via the evil interwebs of piracy... you didn't hear that from me though.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 02:02 AM
so In other words I need a whole new computer just to use the character builder?

Man I gotta get a job.

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-15, 02:18 AM

Well, a one-month subscription is ten bucks; you can subscribe once, download the latest Character Builder (five times) and the Dragon back issues, and unsubscribe.

...but of course if you can't get Windows programs to work with your Linux build, yeah, that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Anyway. For the DDI-less, the Revenant is thus: +2 Dex, +2 Con; low-light vision, Common and one other language, +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate; you count as a living [tiefling], and as an undead; when reduced to dying, you can stay up until your next turn, when you can take a standard action before you fall over and have to start making death saves; and you get the Dark Reaping power.

(Which is a free-action encounter power with the Necrotic keyword; when a creature in 5 squares dies, the next attack you hit with before your next turn ends will deal +1d8+Con necrotic damage.)

There's a Heroic feat which lets you use the tiefling racial power instead, in the same way as how Channel Divinity works (you can't use both in the same encounter).

There's also a whole bunch of other stuff. By default, they look like [in this case, tieflings] with pale skin, an assortment of weird eyes, monochrome hair, glossy black mask-like faces, and hands ending in raven-esque taloned (well, sort of taloned, not like gnoll claws or anything) hands. But that's pretty variable, since they're kind of an odd lot.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-15, 02:30 AM
how much space would the current dugneon and dragon issues take up altogether?

Sir Homeslice
2009-12-15, 05:34 AM
There's a build on CharOp floating around that's a Warlock|Swordmage and pretty strikery, though I dunno if it'd be his cup of tea.

I forget the name, but the word Chicken is involved in the title.

Asbestos
2009-12-15, 06:54 AM
well he likes the Warlock class. He's going to try out a Necromancer once I get Scythe and shroud. (a third party book) but I doubt most DMs will allow Scythe and shroud it being a third party book.

Also, Scythe and Shroud is not without its problems. I have it, and have several 'fixes' available to reduce MAD and improve design/balance. For one, I have changed the summoning Necromancer build to INT/CON rather than INT/CON/STR and have reworded all of the Summons as actual Summons and not strangely worded Conjurations. Some of the feats are beyond salvation though (not that they're overpowered, they're pointless) You'll need to go online and download an errata from Goodman, it has the magic items (and a table of contents) that are missing from the book.

Mando Knight
2009-12-15, 10:23 AM
how much space would the current dugneon and dragon issues take up altogether?

318 MB according to my computer. That's not including the Character or Monster Builders, which are in a separate folder.

I would definitely look into playing as a Swordmage, Artificer, or Bard instead, since they've got dedicated melee builds and primary stats that line up nicely with the Tiefling's racial bonuses.